Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://i.imgur.com/yu77Apw.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Active security

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I can easily understand how the strike becomes energized if a power wire was run down the wall in a way it could be screwed in to, but how the gently caress is there a useful circuit being produced through a wooden door?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

wolrah posted:

I can easily understand how the strike becomes energized if a power wire was run down the wall in a way it could be screwed in to, but how the gently caress is there a useful circuit being produced through a wooden door?

I'm guessing that's a hardwired smart-lock of some kind. Like what you might see in a small office or something. So they probably screwed the strike plate into a live wire and the knob assembly is grounded.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I remember this from the first Spy vs. Spy game, you connect a car battery to a door and who opens it gets zapped

e: actually I was misremembering that, it was a bucket of battery acid that you could place above the door. The counter to that was to find an umbrella.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 1, 2023

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

wolrah posted:

One of the hinge screws on the other side has penetrated a ground wire (because the frame has wiring down both sides, of course) and the timber in the door is moist as gently caress

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think it's the door handle completing the circuit. I think one part of the strike plate is loose, and it's completing when it's pushed against the frame, perhaps causing one screw of the strike plate to drive into the neutral and the other to drive into the hot wire, the pair of which are behind the frame.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

This tiki bar looks dope.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

I am the ALPHA CRAPPER, avert your gaze.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shifty Pony posted:

Green stands for "keeps it off the ground" right?

This would have been just fine if they had stripped the green wire before they tied it around the bar.
:haw:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Perfect fix, no notes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shifty Pony posted:

Green stands for "keeps it off the ground" right?

I've heard of a floating ground but this is ridiculous!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

the rest of the house is sexy, but the carpet by the pool seemed appropriate for this thread

Which Shaft sequel was filmed here?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Shut your mouth

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Ahh, a battleshits court.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Aragosta posted:

Ahh, a battleshits court.

Turd to b3.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
At a bar near my college they had a a trough urinal on one wall and then in the corner was a toilet without stall-walls. I hated using that bathroom. There were no options that weren't awkward.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lightning strike plate

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Florida

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/CYMEhIo.mp4

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Balloon framing.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Gas line right? Like maybe to an upstairs washing machine?

What even is code for gas lines outside of the land of strong unions (Chicago and suburbs)? I have visions of drinking straws and duct tape. But for real, is it a shark bite system?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

If shes lucky its only a refrigerant line.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Orvin posted:

Gas line right? Like maybe to an upstairs washing machine?

What even is code for gas lines outside of the land of strong unions (Chicago and suburbs)? I have visions of drinking straws and duct tape. But for real, is it a shark bite system?

Black iron pipe. Most places will let you do the last few feet with a flexible line but even then a lot will get black iron all the way to the appliance unless it needs to move for cleaning like a stove or a clothes dryer.

Also, Shark Bites are fine. Just not with gas.

Edit: Even if she hadn't hit the mystery steam line, that coat rack would have fallen down as soon as she hung one item on it.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 4, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Good to know.

Always interesting to learn what codes are similar and what are different.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When the gas company replaced my meter and relocated the gas line, they ran flexible copper from the new entry point to the existing regulator where the old meter was.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FISHMANPET posted:

When the gas company replaced my meter and relocated the gas line, they ran flexible copper from the new entry point to the existing regulator where the old meter was.

That's kind of weird. I don't know about official code, but to my understanding lots of installers are moving away from copper just because it's more prone to damage and they don't want the headache.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think she probably hit an HVAC plenum in the wall. They make rectangular ducts that fit in 2x4 wall cavities.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

kid sinister posted:

Balloon framing.

:hai:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That sounds exactly like the refrigerant line when I put a nail through it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SpartanIvy posted:

I think she probably hit an HVAC plenum in the wall. They make rectangular ducts that fit in 2x4 wall cavities.

No way is it that loud.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

There’s a follow up video where she says she called maintenance and they told her she punctured the neighboring HVAC system, doesn’t say exactly what component. I hope they wouldn’t just patch it up with painters tape if it was a refrigerant line, but then again this is the crappy construction thread

https://www.tiktok.com/@sie_salt/video/7197399517019360554

Edit: looks like a refrigerant line to me https://www.tiktok.com/@sie_salt/video/7198595086719175982

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 4, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

That sounds exactly like the refrigerant line when I put a nail through it.

Ahem

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kreeningsons posted:

There’s a follow up video where she says she called maintenance and they told her she punctured the neighboring HVAC system, doesn’t say exactly what component. I hope they wouldn’t just patch it up with painters tape if it was a refrigerant line, but then again this is the crappy construction thread

https://www.tiktok.com/@sie_salt/video/7197399517019360554

Edit: looks like a refrigerant line to me https://www.tiktok.com/@sie_salt/video/7198595086719175982

Imagine your AC stops working because your neighbor tried to hang a coat rack by pushing a nail into drywall like you'd do to hang a Pink Floyd poster.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only thing that’s holding is a coat of paint. :dadjoke:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What the gently caress else do you expect when you run a line-set unprotected in a wall like that.

Ugh.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

PainterofCrap posted:

What the gently caress else do you expect when you run a line-set unprotected in a wall like that.

Ugh.

People to locate the studs?

It's nobody's fault but her own that she tried to hang a coat rack on loving nails in drywall.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

It's nobody's fault but her own that she tried to hang a coat rack on loving nails in drywall.

:confused: if it was a picture the result would be the same.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

MisterOblivious posted:

Former hvac contractor. Running an hvac lineset through indoor walls is a terrible idea. If it leaks, you can't get eyes on it. And there's no good reason to do it, it's not an easy option. Lineset you run either up the side of a house and across the attic (furnace in attic) , or through a basement wall and along basement ceiling (basement). And if the condenser is on the roof, that means your furnace usually is too.

Granted, the nail is the wrong one for the job, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If there's a dense metal object in the wall would a cheap stud finder report it as a stud? I don't really even know how stud finders work tbh I just assumed they'd use ir or something and find anything denser than the surrounding material.