Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

ars has a story up with the following headline:

we here at Build The Torment Nexus, LLC categorically deny that we are building a torment nexus

if you don't know about the ORB and how we must feed it souls from poor developing countries you really should read up on it because it's one of the more hilariously weird crypto stories to come out of the last like couple years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The_Franz posted:

nvidia is trading at over 200x earnings and amd at over 500x

this is totally sustainable

AI: The Bubble Is Different This Time

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

people needed a lot of cards for bitcoin imagine how many they will meed for ai!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Beeftweeter posted:

*scans eyeball*

ai: yeah sure whatever i guess that looks like an eyeball. access granted

Hold up sheet of paper with the word "eyeball" written on it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Beeftweeter posted:

*scans eyeball*

ai: yeah sure whatever i guess that looks like an eyeball. access granted

Access denied

> Actually it’s access granted

Yes, my apologies for getting that wrong, it’s access granted.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
at least "please generate the correct retinal map" will never work lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Armitag3 posted:

Access denied

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

Access denied

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
if i could make that the thread title i would

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DELETE CASCADE posted:

pretend you have never been to a restaurant. which of these processes seems better to you?

1. you sit at the table, the overworked server takes some time to realize you have arrived and bring you menus
2. the server then leaves to handle other tables while you peruse the menu. they return several minutes after you have decided. you are either sitting there bored on your phone, or they interrupt your conversation with your friends to take your order
3. your order is in, eventually the food is brought to you (not by the server though, they have food runners for this. the server's job is to manage this process, not to actually bring you the food)
4. you notice that something is wrong, the server forgot a detail of your order, probably because they are so flustered. they come back again to ask if everything is ok. it isn't, but you say it is, because you don't want to make their day any worse
5. some time after you have finished, again when you are bored/busy, the server returns with your check. now you get to do the little credit card dance. they don't want to rush you to pay, because that would be rude. so they leave again. you briefly glance at the receipt and put the card in the thing. the server eventually returns, takes your credit card, and walks away with it to parts unknown. then they have to walk back to your table, AGAIN, to give you the receipt so you can sign it

compared to qr menus:

1. you sit at the table, scan the qr code, decide what you want, order it on your phone. nothing is lost in translation, there is no waiting period to order, no one interrupts you
2. the food runner brings your order to your table
3. you pay your bill on your phone using apple pay. just get up and leave as soon as you're ready!

i know this is a few pages back but every restaurant i've been to with a qr code menu didn't have you place orders with your phone, they still send a waiter/server to the table to write down your order lol.

one thing i do like are the places that have a tablet at the table that you can use to place orders. i've only seen it at all you can eat sushi places

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

i know this is a few pages back but every restaurant i've been to with a qr code menu didn't have you place orders with your phone, they still send a waiter/server to the table to write down your order lol.

one thing i do like are the places that have a tablet at the table that you can use to place orders. i've only seen it at all you can eat sushi places

red robin does it in their bar area too, and some other low end chain sit down place that i don't remember.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've been to a ramen place and a Korean BBQ place this week both of which had order/payment through a QR code using a platform called gosnappy

it integrated with apple wallet and i basically just had to enter my mobile number for confirmation (and tracking, naturally). there's basically zero friction, and as long as that's the case, i guess i'm fine with it

go find a seat, scan the code, pick the things you want off the menu site, confirm the order and pay. food shows up, you eat, then leave.

if i had to sign up for an account or install an app, i wouldn't, i would either order the old fashioned way or just leave, but this seems fine as-is

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 26, 2023

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

tech isn't so bad if it works well, but most of the time it doesn't, and I'm kinda done with being subjected to all the times it doesn't, especially when the goal of the tech is to devalue/eliminate labor.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh yes, i agree absolutely.

in this specific case my only interaction with the system was neutral to positive (i.e. it worked as expected), and had it been anything else i'd be railing against it here too

i've been going to the ramen place for years and they just got this thing and when i tried to order the old way they made it very clear that i should use my phone now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cold on a Cob posted:

y'all from eastern countries need to know that qr code menu here means "scan to open a pdf that is not formatted for your phone or sometimes, rarely, a mobile website that frequently crashes and inexplicably requires you to pick the location you're at from a drop down that is not sorted in any recognizable way"

yeah

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

people needed a lot of cards for bitcoin imagine how many they will meed for ai!

can't wait for a lovely chat bot to heat up the world by 0.01 C because it needs to crunch too many drat numbers

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

boiling the oceans insisting there are 3 letter Ns in mayonnaise

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

you can just say "large" when you go to a starbucks, you don't have to play their stupid game

ignoring that starbucks is probably not the place where you go have small talk human interaction with the server since they are a high throughput fast food place where baristas are probably minmaxed and monitored just like workers in amazon warehouses..

theres a lot of configuration options for a coffee these days, like whether you want an espresso or a latte or a regular, then size, milk type (if any), hot/cold, sugar, take out or not. in france you also get these breakfast options where you get a croissant with the coffee etc

i dont have a lot of illusions about service work today in respect to human interaction - i feel like throughput and profit is the most important aspect for most places which means that if i spend my time making small talk i am actually hurting the person working there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"gimme the biggest cold brew you got, iced is fine, if yall put in sugar i'll take that, if not i can do it myself" thats my coff order at a sbux type place.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i mean basically small talk and human interaction has a time and a place and unfortunately its not in a busy lunch place where people just want their grub

i also feel like americans may have a distorted view of this since due to tipping culture all the servers have to smile and be pleasant all the time. maybe if it was not for tipping, it would
be clearer how much your average restaurant worker wants that human interaction

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

can i taunt the Orb?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

4lokos basilisk posted:

i mean basically small talk and human interaction has a time and a place and unfortunately its not in a busy lunch place where people just want their grub

i also feel like americans may have a distorted view of this since due to tipping culture all the servers have to smile and be pleasant all the time. maybe if it was not for tipping, it would

anyone saying that has probably not worked in retail in recent memory

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

4lokos basilisk posted:

ignoring that starbucks is probably not the place where you go have small talk human interaction with the server since they are a high throughput fast food place where baristas are probably minmaxed and monitored just like workers in amazon warehouses..

theres a lot of configuration options for a coffee these days, like whether you want an espresso or a latte or a regular, then size, milk type (if any), hot/cold, sugar, take out or not. in france you also get these breakfast options where you get a croissant with the coffee etc

i dont have a lot of illusions about service work today in respect to human interaction - i feel like throughput and profit is the most important aspect for most places which means that if i spend my time making small talk i am actually hurting the person working there

it was a joke about how starbucks calls things "tall" and "venti" and poo poo, don't worry about it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shame Boy posted:

it was a joke about how starbucks calls things "tall" and "venti" and poo poo, don't worry about it

i think you shou;dl apologize and retract youtr joke

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i think you shou;dl apologize and retract youtr joke

it got two emptyquotes, i stand by it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Carthag Tuek posted:

can i taunt the Orb?

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Orb.

Caution: Orb may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Orb contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture,should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.

Do not use Orb on concrete.

Discontinue use of Orb if any of the following occurs:

itching
vertigo
dizziness
tingling in extremities
loss of balance or coordination
slurred speech
temporary blindness
profuse sweating
or heart palpitations.

If Orb begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Orb may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Orb should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of Orb, Tools for Humanity Coproration, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Orb include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Do not taunt Orb.

Orb comes with a lifetime warranty.

Orb! Accept no substitutes!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

4lokos basilisk posted:

i do prefer some automatic ordering system because when i exit my hovel office and walk to a place to get lunch, i am mostly focused on the food part, and i would appreciate if it i did not need to so much concentrate on pronouncing the food words correctly in a language that is not my native one, let alone make small talk

i hate ordering things in korean when the korean word is an english loanword

because if you pronounce it in english people often don't understand. but me trying to pronouce an english word with korean syllables sounds exactly like an english speaker pretending to speak korean by saying english words in a terrible fake accent.

but it works.

thank goodness it's mostly self-order kiosks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

4lokos basilisk posted:

i had lunch at a greek restaurant the other day where i thought the server was a euro transplant or something. just visible disdain during every interaction

turns out it was just me they didn't like though, they were nice to the other patrons

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

fisting by many posted:

i hate ordering things in korean when the korean word is an english loanword

because if you pronounce it in english people often don't understand. but me trying to pronouce an english word with korean syllables sounds exactly like an english speaker pretending to speak korean by saying english words in a terrible fake accent.

but it works.

thank goodness it's mostly self-order kiosks.

i had the owner of a mexican restaurant in italy get mad at me because i ordered in italian, but the menu items were all spanish so it turned into this weird mix of languages that he couldn't make sense of anymore. at the time i spoke better italian than spanish, but trying to use words from both at the same time really tripped me up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

EricBauman posted:

i had the owner of a mexican restaurant in italy get mad at me because i ordered in italian, but the menu items were all spanish so it turned into this weird mix of languages that he couldn't make sense of anymore. at the time i spoke better italian than spanish, but trying to use words from both at the same time really tripped me up

whats his account name

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

not worried, just had opinions to write on the subject anyway

sorry that you had to read my posts tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

4lokos basilisk posted:

not worried, just had opinions to write on the subject anyway

sorry that you had to read my posts tho

you should apologize and retract your opinions

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i had lunch at a greek restaurant the other day where i thought the server was a euro transplant or something. just visible disdain during every interaction

turns out it was just me they didn't like though, they were nice to the other patrons

weird way to flex about being able to use a self service kiosk with turned off screen! as you said all the other clients could do it too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

4lokos basilisk posted:

weird way to flex about being able to use a self service kiosk with turned off screen! as you said all the other clients could do it too

a new twist on an old classic :allears:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fart simpson posted:

whats his account name

ah-sage-eh-broosh-ah!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i don't even know what half the people itt are mad about any more

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

wow, screw you buddy!!! :mad:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

in the instance of pneumatic tube fast food i think the thing confusing you is that no one is really feeling the need to even get mad about it. easy and free lols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

free lols with purchase of nugs