Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

oatmealraisin posted:

Should I prop this sunflower up or will it stop slouching on its own when it gets older?

Looks a bit effed, RIP sunflower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Can you even grow sunflowers in tiny pots? Don’t they need big roots to support themselves?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

BigFactory posted:

Can you even grow sunflowers in tiny pots? Don’t they need big roots to support themselves?

Even just sprouting them in small pots is risky because the roots are really sensitive to transplanting, though it can be done.

I'd put that guy in a final, in-ground home as a hail mary but it doesn't look great for him.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

marchantia posted:

drat she big! Does that large variety need more sun than the smaller ones? I have a spot that needs more hostas but it gets very little sun. The ones I have there (question mark on variety, people are always giving way hostas here when they split theirs because they are so prolific) are doing just fine fwiw. I might be willing to pay actual money to get a hosta plant if it takes up that much space

She’s in mild shade, gets a small amount of direct light at the end of the day but is almost totally shaded by the apple tree she lives under. Most of the big varietals do best areas with part shade, direct light can cause the leaves to burn unless you water them daily or twice a day, depending on temps

Also today’s the big day!!! It’s Hosta Day!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Can anyone help me identify this tree at my new house? I like the look of it, but they planted it very close to the deck and I'm worried that it is going to be an issue.

Photos taken within the last week. Located in Northern Minnesota, Zone 3b

oatmealraisin
Feb 26, 2023

:ohdear:

I was gonna replant it into a big ol pot once it was a tad bigger than this

I'll still try to see it through

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Another ID question!

I got some free plants from a swap about a month ago that were just labeled "daylily." The foliage and bulbs looked like it to me, but one just bloomed and it looks like none I've seen:

The clusters of blooms still look like a daylily, but the ID app says it's spiderwort. Any ideas?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

oatmealraisin posted:

:ohdear:

I was gonna replant it into a big ol pot once it was a tad bigger than this

I'll still try to see it through
That stem is never going to unbend, because it was injured at some point -- you can see the scarring. If the sunflower continues to grow, that bend ultimately won't support the up-pointing stalk, unless you support it somehow.

When you plant a seed in an appropriate location, the first leaves are the funny-looking ones called "cotyledons", which were stored in the seed. The second pair are "the first true leaves". The distance between the ground and the first true leaves should not, for many/most garden plants, be more than a couple of inches. The fact that your stem is four or five inches long tells you that this plant is not getting enough light. A young vegetable or flower plant should be short and fat, not long and thin. Long and thin means that the plant is trying to find the sun and failing.

To keep that plant alive, you should move it to a sunnier spot. If you don't have a sunnier spot, it's never going to be healthy. I suppose you could aim a grow spotlight at it, but I've never tried.

Soul Dentist posted:

The clusters of blooms still look like a daylily, but the ID app says it's spiderwort. Any ideas?

Yeah, that's absolutely spiderwort/tradescantia. (There are many spiderworts, some of which don't have interesting flowers.) It's something similar to Tradescantia ohiensis. Daylily flowers are never blue; they don't have the gene for it, just like roses. Daylilies can be cream to yellow to red to a dark crimson you can call purple, but never blue.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 4, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

jjack229 posted:

Can anyone help me identify this tree at my new house? I like the look of it, but they planted it very close to the deck and I'm worried that it is going to be an issue.

Photos taken within the last week. Located in Northern Minnesota, Zone 3b

looks like some kind of (probably ornamental, probably dwarf/small growing) stonefruit plant, like a cherry or a plum or a peach

can we get a better look at the leaves and flowers, preferably under a more neutral light?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Soul Dentist posted:

Another ID question!

I got some free plants from a swap about a month ago that were just labeled "daylily." The foliage and bulbs looked like it to me, but one just bloomed and it looks like none I've seen:

Yeah leaves and flowers definitely look like a tradescantia of some sort. There are a gazillion of them and they are pretty weedy around here. Is it a rogue spiderwort that happed to be chilling out in the middle of a clump of daylilies?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Ok Comboomer posted:

looks like some kind of (probably ornamental, probably dwarf/small growing) stonefruit plant, like a cherry or a plum or a peach

can we get a better look at the leaves and flowers, preferably under a more neutral light?

Yeah it looks like either a Prunus cerasifera sort or its dwarf cross, the Prunus × cistena.

What kind of problems would be expected from the op though?
If it grew a little higher it could give some nice shade.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OP should definitely prune out the watersprouts, suckers, and the dead limb: see yellow.

There's a good chance whatever it is is grafted, which means that any shoots coming from below the graft (the graft would look like a raised ring circling the trunk a foot or so above the roots) aren't coming from the pretty plant, but from its rootstock.

So, shoots coming up straight from the ground are "suckers", which use up nutrition from the roots that should be going to the main trunk.
Twiggy shoots growing out from the trunk, especially at old limb scars, are "watersprouts". They're also using up nutrition, but more importantly they're cluttering up the plant with non-functional branches. You won't get a strong limb from a watersprout, no matter how long you leave it.

When you prune dead limbs, never cut them off flat to the trunk. Do it very slightly above where the limb joins the trunk; this makes it easy for the tree to grow scar tissue over the removed wood.

Do all of this after flowering is finished this year. This overview looks pretty solid to me.

e: If you don't have the time/energy to prune, cut off the dead limb and call it a day. The tree will wind up looking more like a shrub than a tree, but that's not terrible.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah leaves and flowers definitely look like a tradescantia of some sort. There are a gazillion of them and they are pretty weedy around here. Is it a rogue spiderwort that happed to be chilling out in the middle of a clump of daylilies?

There is a good chance the goober who put a five gallon bucket full of "daylilies" on the ground at a plant swap at this upcycling hobby shop had absolutely no idea what they were. It's pretty and most of them didn't survive because I had to wait out a frost with them in the bucket. I'll probably see what pops up next spring and interplant lilies or irises that I buy myself. It's on the easement anyways so there's no high hopes

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm glad you know about Old House Bulbs! They're one of my most favorite online nurseries. My English bluebells from them only just stopped flowering.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Most of it is still in the direct sun right now, but here are two from the part in the shade

RickRogers posted:

Yeah it looks like either a Prunus cerasifera sort or its dwarf cross, the Prunus × cistena.

What kind of problems would be expected from the op though?
If it grew a little higher it could give some nice shade.

My concern is that it is close to the deck and right now some of the branches are reaching through the railing. If it grows tall enough that the branches are above the railing, that would probably be nice.

There are also large cedar trees on both corners that I assume I need to trim back a little bit. I can see moss growing on the railing

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Info on pruning

Thanks. I'm new to owning trees to manage, so I appreciate the information.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jjack229 posted:

Most of it is still in the direct sun right now, but here are two from the part in the shade

My concern is that it is close to the deck and right now some of the branches are reaching through the railing. If it grows tall enough that the branches are above the railing, that would probably be nice.

There are also large cedar trees on both corners that I assume I need to trim back a little bit. I can see moss growing on the railing

Thanks. I'm new to owning trees to manage, so I appreciate the information.

just clip the branch ends if they're bothering you. A prunus isn't going to become a hazard tree anytime soon/ever.

also that's not a cedar. looks like some kind of cypress/false cypress dealie (prolly Leylandei)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

jjack229 posted:

If you want it to grow tall, definitely cut off the foliage around the lower trunk, as well as coming up from the roots. When you prune a plant, it responds by growing more to make up the loss. Best time is in winter, second-best time is after it flowers or fruits.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So yesterday was HOSTA DAY. Here's what I did

Removed a hosta where the red arrow is, behind Empress Wu. Put in Halcyon up front

Gathered a few of these from across the yard and moved them to one central bed. I think they are potentially Loyalists, idk, came with the house

Here's Coast to Coast in their new home. I removed Fire Island and a huge chunk of day lilies from here

Here's Guacamole. I never put anything in this area before so we'll see how that goes

Red arrow is the chunk of day lilies from earlier. Front right is Stained Glass, not their permanent home.

Rehomed some other hostas in the back right, in the front you can barely see Silly String and on the right is Sum and Substance

Left to right: Praying Hands, Blue Mouse Ears, Fire Island

And here's Wu-La-La in here new home with her parental unit, Rose, of Sharon.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You can also see the area where I'm expanding the beds in the back. I'm super excited to get to work on that.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I’ve been waiting for my chance to say hosta la vista, but now is not the time.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ugh on Hosta Day of all days too

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Has anyone here who has peonies ever had something happen where the sap that covers the flower buds gets all thick and hard and dry? I've never seen this happen before. I'm wondering if the unnatural heat wave we've been having here in southern Ontario is somehow to blame.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I’ve been waiting for my chance to say hosta la vista, but now is not the time.

Vista la hosta more like

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

just clip the branch ends if they're bothering you. A prunus isn't going to become a hazard tree anytime soon/ever.

also that's not a cedar. looks like some kind of cypress/false cypress dealie (prolly Leylandei)

That's interesting. The previous owners and the home inspector called them cedars and no one else has corrected me when I call them that. I wonder if it's some weird regional thing where we don't know what an actual cedar is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My current favorite hosta; i like the white edge

Mock oranges, the master of all good smells

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My mystery alstroemeria has bloomed!

My deep fuchsia peonies are a riot of color, too. Maybe most exciting is that I actually have a (singular) bud on my Itoh peony some five years or more after planting it! :dance:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I've always had middling success sowing poppies in carefully tended raised beds. They do OK, but not very prolific. This year I'm getting some gorgeous volunteers just popping out of my brush pile. Their progenitors were Danish flag variety, but they've got this lovely purple this year.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 6, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I love growin poppies but I always forget to sow them in December when I'm not really thinking about gardening.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Our poppies look sick as hell so we're moving them once the back garden bed is expanded. The sunlight spots in our yard are in constant motion due to being in an older, denser, tree loving town, its been lots of fun

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

bagmonkey posted:

Our poppies look sick as hell so we're moving them once the back garden bed is expanded. The sunlight spots in our yard are in constant motion due to being in an older, denser, tree loving town, its been lots of fun

I figure you mean planting seeds in a new area next year, but poppies do not move well at all IME. It's like instant death to do anything besides direct sow for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jjack229 posted:

That's interesting. The previous owners and the home inspector called them cedars and no one else has corrected me when I call them that. I wonder if it's some weird regional thing where we don't know what an actual cedar is.

I mean, I’m arguably guessing from the background image.

If you post some more pictures of the tree in question, and of its branches and foliage, we’ll be able to more properly ID it

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I figure you mean planting seeds in a new area next year, but poppies do not move well at all IME. It's like instant death to do anything besides direct sow for me.

I'm putting my mom up to the task because she's done it before. I'll let you know what her method is, but I remember her moving 2-3 beds of poppys around. Regardless, yeah we're probably gonna end up seeding or buying one of those fancy varietals once they go on clearance

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

jjack229 posted:

Most of what everyone calls cedars aren't botanically true cedars. Western redcedar and arborvita/northern whitecedar are both in the genus Thuja in the cypress family, Eastern redcedar is actually a Juniper, also in the cypress family, Atlantic whitecedar is one to two North American species in the genus Chamaecyparis, the other being Port Orford Cedar on the west coast and Chamaecyparis is also, you guessed it, in the cypress family.

The 'true' cedars in the botanical sense are the four old-world species of the genus Cedrus-Cedar of Lebanon, Atlas Cedar, Deodar cedar and Cypriot cedar- which aren't super commonly used in North America, so usually when someone calls a tree a cedar, it isn't actually, but because everyone calls it one maybe it is. Plant taxonomy is a huge mess anyway which the whole common names vs scientific names issue does nothing to alleviate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_plants_known_as_cedar

When Ok Comboomer said that 'isn't a cedar,' the thing they call a cedar probably isn't actually a cedar either!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Scientific/botanical names are so important for proper advice, but I love the cultural aspect of common names.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
TBH I was thinking of a true cedar, as my parents have a large deodar in their front yard and I have a small one in bonsai training

Color me educated tho, first time I’ve seen a cypress referred to colloquially as a “cedar”

I’d still bet money that’s a Leyland cypress tho

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I love growin poppies but I always forget to sow them in December when I'm not really thinking about gardening.

Saw this guy post about germinating poppies inside a while back. Apparently they don’t need the cold stratification?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpdXGb1O4Re/

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Saw this guy post about germinating poppies inside a while back. Apparently they don’t need the cold stratification?

drat that dude is trying hard. I usually just dust the bed with seeds in early spring.

Although like I said, germination was weirdly bad this year. I guess they were older seeds though.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah if I even brush the poppy seeds off a bagel into a prepared bed they'll germinate, but I've never tried to transplant them

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Oh yeah I plant them in November/December not because they need cold, just because of the mild/hot climate here. They want to bloom here in March or early April so they need a whole to get going. It’s a delicate balance to get them started early enough that they harden off and can take a light freeze but not too early that they try to bloom too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Scientific/botanical names are so important for proper advice, but I love the cultural aspect of common names.

100% this. I try my best to know the 'true name' of any plant I am going to invest any time or research into, but the common names are really fascinating looks into what the plant is/was used for in the past by people who figured things out.