Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I do think it's a storytelling failure that we haven't seen him actually demonstrate his abilities much
I wasn't a fan of this method until Garp showed up and exploded Fullalead. It drove home how insane all the "final boss" characters are gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Marine Hunter Mihawk and World’s Strongest Swordsman Mihawk seem like not entirely unrelated titles. Maybe the Marines had a strong tradition of swordsmanship before he got to them? Who was the previous World’s Strongest Swordsman?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

He hasn't but the sole purpose of the character is to be The World's Strongest Swordsman and Zoro's final challenge. I do think it's a storytelling failure that we haven't seen him actually demonstrate his abilities much but it wouldn't make any narrative sense if he's secretly weaker than foes Zoro has already defeated

Er, Zoro hasn't beaten Big Mom, Kaido or Shanks so I don't know what you mean by that. I think it makes sense for Zoro to become the World's Strongest Swordsman but still be solidly below Luffy and people in Luffy's weight class like those 3.

JuniperCake posted:

It's one thing to go 1 v 1 with a yonko in a duel. It's another to start a fight with a yonko plus all of their subordinates. Not just their own crew/commanders and the armadas but also aligned nations and everything else, like it's a lot. Even Shanks who has a notoriously weak armada, has a very powerful crew and is allies with the giants and potentially other strong nations as well.

So starting a fight with three different major military organizations all at once is going to be a hassle to put it lightly. And someone like Milhawk probably just doesn't want to bother with that. It doesn't mean that individually he's weaker than the yonko themselves.

It doesn't mean he's weaker than them, no. But for the same reason him not wanting to fight Shanks doesn't mean that he's stronger than him either. They're both equally ambiguous in what exactly they mean.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

CommunityEdition posted:

Who was the previous World’s Strongest Swordsman?

vista or t-bone?!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

t-bone was the worlds most morally powerful swordsman, a title mihawk could never hope to obtain

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Er, Zoro hasn't beaten Big Mom, Kaido or Shanks so I don't know what you mean by that. I think it makes sense for Zoro to become the World's Strongest Swordsman but still be solidly below Luffy and people in Luffy's weight class like those 3.

It doesn't mean he's weaker than them, no. But for the same reason him not wanting to fight Shanks doesn't mean that he's stronger than him either. They're both equally ambiguous in what exactly they mean.

That's true, we can't know for sure unless we actually see him fight a Yonko. Though I think it's safe to assume he's at least Yonko adjacent, even if he might be above or below particular Yonkos. It would be a bit of a disappointment otherwise you know?

This guy is Zoro's goal after all.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mihawk could easily be individually on the level of an Emperor in strength but has no interest at all in amassing territory or a strong crew or any of the usual pirate lord stuff so doesn't have much pull. One Piece despite all the fights that end up as 1v1s between the strongest guys does a really good job of showing how much help Luffy needs from his crew and whatever allies they've made to actually climb up the often literal staircase to the final boss, basically every arc after Alabasta has had a big chunk of it be people clearing a path for luffy who is just running and yelling

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1666150811145994246?t=eG7_aMC6E2kzOP-AXUsDLw&s=19

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I think he's a Hakiman. I was thinking about this the other day because Big Mom uses a sword and would most likely kick Mihawks butt so shouldn't she or Shanks be the strongest swordsman? But I think the idea of being a "swordsman" is that you're actually using skill and technique to fight rather than just smashing everything with haki.*

*but really Mihawk and Zoro also kind of just do this lol

I don't believe in the "Hakiman" thing. Big Mom may or may not have been able to win against Mihawk if both went all-out, but if she wasn't allowed to use her Devil Fruit power, Mihawk would definitely win. And in a fight between Mihawk and Shanks, Mihawk would win. I don't see any alternative that doesn't devalue Zoro's dream.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CommunityEdition posted:

Marine Hunter Mihawk and World’s Strongest Swordsman Mihawk seem like not entirely unrelated titles. Maybe the Marines had a strong tradition of swordsmanship before he got to them? Who was the previous World’s Strongest Swordsman?

Remember that Roger was a swordsman without a Devil Fruit, so he must have been the strongest swordsman when he was alive. After his death, I assume Rayleigh would have been the strongest swordsman. This raises some complicated timeline issues, though: when, exactly, did Rayleigh start to meaningfully decline from age? But at the same time, the incident with Blackbeard on Amazon Lily shows that even relatively well-informed people still overestimate Rayleigh, so for Mihawk to be recognized in-universe as the strongest, he must have either defeated Rayleigh or defeated someone who defeated Rayleigh, but without making Rayleigh look bad in the process.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Silver2195 posted:

And in a fight between Mihawk and Shanks, Mihawk would win.

IMO you're correct about this, even with Shanks at his prime.

I do think that one thing to note is that while Mihawk could beat Shanks, it'd probably be very close but there's a 0% chance that Mihawk could beat the Red Hair Pirates.

Mihawk's biggest weakness, wrt anything but personal strength and swordsmanship, is that he struggles to work with other people effectively.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I always felt like Mihawk's "you're not worth my time anymore" was an excuse and he had other reasons for not wanting to fight Shanks.

Also, without responding to anything in particular, a broad "lol" at the idea that the antagonist we've been fighting in one form or another since Punk Hazard (with a brief digression to deal with Sanji's family drama) had "no effect on the story".

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I don't believe in the "Hakiman" thing. Big Mom may or may not have been able to win against Mihawk if both went all-out, but if she wasn't allowed to use her Devil Fruit power, Mihawk would definitely win. And in a fight between Mihawk and Shanks, Mihawk would win. I don't see any alternative that doesn't devalue Zoro's dream.

I don't think we can say that it's definite without seeing more from Mihawk. Currently, Big Mom has shown strength, speed, durability and haki beyond anything we've seen from Mihawk. That might well change but it also might not. I don't think Mihawk being weaker than the Yonko's devalues Zoro's dream. He wants to be the strongest swordsman, not strongest overall.

Scholtz posted:

IMO you're correct about this, even with Shanks at his prime.

Shanks is still in his prime. Like MonsterEnvy said, Oda has confirmed that Shanks has only gotten stronger, not weaker, since losing his arm. So it isn't that Mihawk doesn't want to fight him because he's diminished in strength. Shanks basically flashstepped from his ship, across his fleet and in front of Kid and took him and KIller out in one hit. Shanks might well be the strongest character in One Piece right now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Milhawk and Shanks are probably around the same strength tbh.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nephthys posted:

I don't think we can say that it's definite without seeing more from Mihawk. Currently, Big Mom has shown strength, speed, durability and haki beyond anything we've seen from Mihawk. That might well change but it also might not. I don't think Mihawk being weaker than the Yonko's devalues Zoro's dream. He wants to be the strongest swordsman, not strongest overall.

Shanks is still in his prime. Like MonsterEnvy said, Oda has confirmed that Shanks has only gotten stronger, not weaker, since losing his arm. So it isn't that Mihawk doesn't want to fight him because he's diminished in strength. Shanks basically flashstepped from his ship, across his fleet and in front of Kid and took him and KIller out in one hit. Shanks might well be the strongest character in One Piece right now.

That's be Imu, unless Shanks is Imu, Shamu! It all makes sense.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

socialsecurity posted:

That's be Imu, unless Shanks is Imu, Shamu! It all makes sense.

Shamu vs. Laboon

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Shanks is using the 20th sword as is his right as a celestial dragon

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver2195 posted:

The story seems to imply things about CH that's contrary to what it states directly - people think that a character having CH undermines their efforts by making it seem like they're lucky enough to get this thing that lets them do things, but the subtext seems to imply the opposite.

Like, Luffy isn't going to become the king of the pirates because he's a one in a million guy that has CH. Luffy can use CH because he's a one in a million guy who is going to become the king of the pirates.

I'd go so far as to say that Zoro's CH reveal is supposed to be a subtle confirmation of this - he realizes that for him to be the world's greatest swordsman, he has to have CH, and then he does.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
If you don't read spoilers you should like fully bulletproof yourself against getting spoiled this week.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We say this every week

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Just wanna say that I don't really care for powerscaling, and the only reason I ever use the term Hakiman is because this video is always playing in my mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjpFJaJpSVo`

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hackerman except it's Hakiman

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I ate the Haki Haki no Mi, making me a Hakiman!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MorningMoon posted:

Just wanna say that I don't really care for powerscaling, and the only reason I ever use the term Hakiman is because this video is always playing in my mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjpFJaJpSVo`

I was about to post this in response to you saying Hakiman. Its the first laugh out loud ive gotten in a while

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

buggy is named yonko for comedy’s sake, but it seems like mihawk is calling the shots in cross guild so isn’t he effectively an emperor now anyway

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

notwithyourheart posted:

buggy is named yonko for comedy’s sake, but it seems like mihawk is calling the shots in cross guild so isn’t he effectively an emperor now anyway

Yes, except with the caveat that Buggy and Crocodile are doing the actual leadership/organizational stuff. Mihawk has Emperor-level combat ability, but he's too much of a loner to actually be an Emperor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really hard to reconcile how little mihawk ever seems to do with how proactive he was in taking out some schlub that wandered into the grand line.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dude interrupted his nap.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

krieg is insanely unlucky

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The problem with gauging Mihawk is that we've basically never even seen him try.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I remember when the most Garp had done was throw a cannonball and people would be saying “no way was he actually Roger’s rival. Dude’s a total scrub loser and just not a big deal” and it took 800 chapters but Garp has thrown a punch and people are less dubious about whether he strong now. Same thing with Shanks until he butchered Kid and that was 1000 chapters or so.

I think for the most part in OP you can just believe the hype that is made around characters and theorising about maybe a dude is actually way weaker then his rep won’t get you anywhere.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's really hard to reconcile how little mihawk ever seems to do with how proactive he was in taking out some schlub that wandered into the grand line.

I think it makes sense.

Mihawk is bored, and when the opportunity passes him by, he'll grab it because why the gently caress not, what else does he have to do with his time? Him destroying the Krieg Pirates after they made the mistake of picking a fight with him, and then following them all the way into East Blue to gently caress them up again is just cause he literally has nothing better to do.

At the same time, he doesn't like being inconvenienced personally. So when the Marines start going after him in spades, it annoys him because it means he has to crush them day after day. Just cause he likes having fun beating the poo poo outta people doesn't mean he wants to do it every day. It's not like they're even sending their best swordsmen to fight him anyways, so why should he care? It was fun at first because it was a new development in his monotonous life, but then it got annoying cause it kept happening, which is why he decided to join up with Croc. At least, that's the gist I got.

He's the kinda guy who wants to have his cake and eat it. He wants to have fun at someone else's expense, but doesn't want his own peace interrupted. He's fine with small skirmishes or one-on-one fights with strong people, but he doesn't want to be engaged in some drawn-out war between pirate crews.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dude is at the top of the mountain and is just way bored with it.

Classic story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That poor eye surgeon gonna have to do the surgery while a bunch of manga executives stand in the room with loaded guns for if he fucks up.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
We're like a day into this hiatus and we're already on power level discourse this must be a new record

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Drakkel posted:

We're like a day into this hiatus and we're already on power level discourse this must be a new record

Not even a day because this week's chapter isn't out yet!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Drakkel posted:

Feel like people have been caring way more about power levels in OP in the last year or so. Wonder what caused it? Gear 5 maybe? Or just defeating Kaido? Hard to say.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Lemon, it's Tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?