Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Armitag3 posted:

Well Discord still uses THE internet to function, but yeah, don't actually try to use it directly or you'll be torn to shreds by the light-speed spam barrage of bots trying to scam other bots

the internet isn’t the world wide web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Captain Foo posted:

the internet isn’t the world wide web

whatever sir tim berners-PEE

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think we're talking about the fuzzy idea of the public internet" here, though i think it is hard to define what that means, as if we're excluding discord for being unindexed invite places facebook is also already it's own thing.

though probably it is fair that it is.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

ryde posted:

the typical answer is "Tesla is a technology company not a car company" which lol, ok, sure.

they'll point to their batteries, solar panels, AI, that stupid robot stunt, etc. And then you point out they make essentially no money on those other things. of course they''ll make lots of money on those other things in the future. ok.

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1669594706483740673?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think we're talking about the fuzzy idea of the public internet" here, though i think it is hard to define what that means, as if we're excluding discord for being unindexed invite places facebook is also already it's own thing.

though probably it is fair that it is.

if you use the zucc's private label internet service in a developing nation, it literally is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

it’s true, teslas are already very good at hallucinating that e.g. an ambulance is an open road

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i guess it's theoretically possible that discord could bolt on a wiki functionality that's publicly accessible via browser / can be indexed by crawlers to help with discovery but this would be wrenching discord into something it's not meant to be and also would be just as susceptible to llm rot as anything else

so yeah no matter how you approach this the world wide web is dead. loving sucks

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the only way i can see the world wide web coming back is if a new search engine somehow is able to collect the manpower to validate and curate reputable sites by hand to ensure their indexes sites are firewalled from The Great Contagion™ but there's no way that's ever happening

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the only way i can see the world wide web coming back is if a new search engine somehow is able to collect the manpower to validate and curate reputable sites by hand to ensure their indexes sites are firewalled from The Great Contagion™ but there's no way that's ever happening

Someone started a thread somewhere here about kagi, the paid search engine that gave you tools like the ability to filter out domains you don't want, and let you curate sources yourself. It was also 5 buckaroos a month so that's basically a non starter lol, though that's probably the paradigm shift from free (but ad-driven) that is the missing piece of the puzzle

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i would pay for that service but i don't know if like, the general public are even aware of this kind of problem or... y'know, use the web to look up information instead of just searching in tiktok or whatever app they prefer, soo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also guarantee it would wind up doing the adblock plus thing of "ok they paid us enough so we're going to enable this thing that lets through only the really good garbage, we promise" and lol

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Armitag3 posted:

Someone started a thread somewhere here about kagi, the paid search engine that gave you tools like the ability to filter out domains you don't want, and let you curate sources yourself. It was also 5 buckaroos a month so that's basically a non starter lol, though that's probably the paradigm shift from free (but ad-driven) that is the missing piece of the puzzle

man at this point im ready to pay for search if its actually not dog poo poo, gonna check this out

reddit was the last bastion for free search and thats gone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

man at this point im ready to pay for search if its actually not dog poo poo, gonna check this out

reddit was the last bastion for free search and thats gone

it's good. unfortunately the $5 is for the babby tier

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

it's good. unfortunately the $5 is for the babby tier

yeah, it's legit good, which i did not expect. dreading when my trial quota runs out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

paid search should remain a niche thing, if it takes off then the seo creeps will start paying attention

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah it's really hard to see how any potential solution would scale without starting to cost real money to operate and thus attract real funding and be subsumed by real capitalism

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
my boss got me into the kagi beta last year and i lasted about 1 week after my trial ended and caved to subbing

they added a feature recently that lets you summarize search results or specific documents and holy gently caress im never reading a lovely blog post again

its good and worth the money imo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
discord is currently running an experiment to see what happens if you replace leadership, pm, and management with ex meta & zillow employees that were fired during the post-covid purge

the results are so far predictable: competent people are jumping ship at an alarming rate, updates to the platform make no sense to users or employees, and glassdoor is all 1 and 2 star reviews with the occasional astroturfed 5 star

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
so much for any discord-twitch-reddit employment loop with all of them being hot messes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Khorne posted:

discord is currently running an experiment to see what happens if you replace leadership, pm, and management with ex meta & zillow employees that were fired during the post-covid purge

the results are so far predictable: competent people are jumping ship at an alarming rate, updates to the platform make no sense to users or employees, and glassdoor is all 1 and 2 star reviews with the occasional astroturfed 5 star

ah, is that where the super reactions came from?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eeyo posted:

maybe discord should just let you "archive" servers or something. so you're still joined it just doesn't show up in the list of servers.

that’s what folders are for

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

in a strange way, i somewhat miss netsplits

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Khorne posted:

omg having a big name on your resume doesn’t mean you’re competent??? :wth: :wth: :wth:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

dioxazine posted:

in a strange way, i somewhat miss netsplits

in general it was fun and interesting, but even irc moved away from servers at university computer clubs and people's closets long ago, and tbh and imo the kind of person who'd be really invested in the freedom and independence of a grassroots network in 2023 has a higher than average likelihood of being terrible.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
300 searches a month seems hilariously low and i aint paying $25 a month for unlimited, are yall actually hitting 300+ a month? I guess i don't necessarily know how many i do but surely 10+ a day

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it is very low. i started mapping the !bang commands directly to firefox shortcuts in case it also counts as searches

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tanners posted:

my boss got me into the kagi beta last year and i lasted about 1 week after my trial ended and caved to subbing

they added a feature recently that lets you summarize search results or specific documents and holy gently caress im never reading a lovely blog post again

its good and worth the money imo.

it was, uh, not great at summarizing this thread so be careful with that

e: oh i thought this was the kagi thread. it wasn't great at summarizing that thread, not this one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031535

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 16, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not paying paying that much for a search engine unless it does my laundry for me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

kliras posted:

it is very low. i started mapping the !bang commands directly to firefox shortcuts in case it also counts as searches

they don't, which does make it a *bit* better. but, yeah, the pricing is too steep on search counts.

we have bing devs posting here right? just nag your bosses into buying kagi already

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

we have bing devs posting here right? just nag your bosses into buying kagi already

better yet, just copy them but keep bing free and kill off the paid search model before it has a chance to grow. microsoft is good at that. i'd definitely use it for more than just microsoft rewards and making fun of ai then

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Beeftweeter posted:

it was, uh, not great at summarizing this thread so be careful with that

e: oh i thought this was the kagi thread. it wasn't great at summarizing that thread, not this one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031535

its better at summarizing the lovely kind of blog post that google optimizes for where the actual content is about 3 lines spread over 9 paragraphs, which is what i was talking about specifically. its probably better or worse depending on how info is presented and how concrete the actual ideas in it are

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Eeyo posted:

maybe discord should just let you "archive" servers or something. so you're still joined it just doesn't show up in the list of servers.

make a folder called Archive and stick your archived discords in it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tanners posted:

its better at summarizing the lovely kind of blog post that google optimizes for where the actual content is about 3 lines spread over 9 paragraphs, which is what i was talking about specifically. its probably better or worse depending on how info is presented and how concrete the actual ideas in it are

yeah, i imagine just a blog post with no comments would probably be better for it to parse and "understand", but i could see something similar happening with a blog post with comments or something like a reddit thread. any threaded conversation, really

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok thanks i legit didn't know you could do that.

in my defense you have to drag a server onto another server to create a folder, which i thought was not obvious when i just now searched it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

better yet, just copy them but keep bing free and kill off the paid search model before it has a chance to grow. microsoft is good at that. i'd definitely use it for more than just microsoft rewards and making fun of ai then

not sure to what extent this is sarcastic, as it is simultaneously a good and bad outcome. i was thinking they could run it as a "labs" kind of product with like $5 unlimited searches to retain privacy guarantees very easily.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

If I'm Jerome Powell: I'm printing out this article, slamming it on the table at the next Fed meeting, and declaring that we're gonna raise interest rates by 500 basis points. There's clearly still too much stupid money out there.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

paid search should remain a niche thing, if it takes off then the seo creeps will start paying attention

it wont work because the problem is the content being indexed not the indexer itself. you cannot spend money to fix the problem

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

not sure to what extent this is sarcastic, as it is simultaneously a good and bad outcome. i was thinking they could run it as a "labs" kind of product with like $5 unlimited searches to retain privacy guarantees very easily.

lol, it does read as sarcastic but i was serious. gently caress paying for search, and the only way it's going to be killed off is if the free version improves

but i imagine ms probably makes a good amount licensing bing to other companies, so who knows. they're probably already getting whatever it is they want to monetize out of those queries anyway

mystes
May 31, 2006

Licensing bing? Do they have a self hosted search app or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

mystes posted:

Licensing bing? Do they have a self hosted search app or something?

bing up your NAS