Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cheaping out? You must be mistaken, this is the Six Million Dollar House, Whose Pillars Extend to the Very Core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can't wait to see the control panel for the fifty individually settable/dimmable lights in the living room. You think he's cheaping out? If a thief stripped all the copper from his house, they'd be able to retire in comfort on the recycling money. Also, recall the expense spent on the front door.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I can't wait to see the control panel for the fifty individually settable/dimmable lights in the living room. You think he's cheaping out? If a thief stripped all the copper from his house, they'd be able to retire in comfort on the recycling money. Also, recall the expense spent on the front door.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

Leperflesh posted:

You think he's cheaping out? If a thief stripped all the copper from his house, they'd be able to retire in comfort on the recycling money. Also, recall the expense spent on the front door.

This is the absolutely beauty of the thread. The ambition, spec and some of the materials are top notch, but operational choices undermine that at every turn.

I wonder if a project manager could pay for themselves just by taking away 99's eBay account?

Luckily, it'll take a lot of undermining to make the thing fall down.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Great thread. This is a lot of work for a style that is uh not to my personal taste.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Eh, I think style wise we dont know for sure yet. The house layout I do like personally, and the outside with his slate roof looks nice imo, theres stuff thats a bit weird but thats coming from an American viewpoint.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Earlier we were all "plant room, what's that like a greenhouse? Oh, it's brit for mechanical room." Like our British chap with his cute little digger was going to get past the red tape and too big piles and start tending his garden. Then the build started sprouting ducts and trunks like cosmic horror tentacles.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Bit of a boring update.

Pulling through the last of the wiring runs from the utility room to allow the great room ceiling to be finished off.

which means running a boring normal radial around all the circuits in there.

stick a spur through to outside for an external socket for like i dunno whatever i will do outside

so then a question of stuffing the wiring up into the ceiling and making sure it doesnt get squished as you put the lids on

these turn buckle things on the lids to secure

then its all tucked in to pass through the vaulted room walls

then on the backside of that vaulted gable need to insulate with a layer of pir as thats a cold roof area

Its a bit horrible and hot uo there

Radio 2 guy pondered what he thought the worst job to be doing was during this heatwave were in and settled on loft insulation. Not in disagreement

got a few things on the go but I must admit my motivation is waning

spend a lot of time sitting on my plastic chair staring at silver foil whilst the world happens behind me. I shall never be able to re-enter society.

simple jobs, like nudge a packet of screws down with my foot, result in life challenging catastrophes that require big sit down and possibly even a cry.

then people will come round and you'll try to explain. but they won't get it. the loving maniacs

I cheer myself up by buying some more wonder products that making building houses fun and easy.

These are telescopic between truss fixation brackets?!

so in the loft going to do this with them

bang easy

then ahve a tidy up downstairs for next week. gonna sort out and screed the wetroom shower bases

So need to sort out a four way fall on those with a roughly 1 in 80 fall down on the main fall.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Reminded of the guy running over your nice neat heat lines with the wheelbarrow and am mad all over again.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

simple jobs, like nudge a packet of screws down with my foot, result in life challenging catastrophes that require big sit down and possibly even a cry.

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I hate to be a "just" guy but what's the reason for using these over slapping a piece of wood in there?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

I hate to be a "just" guy but what's the reason for using these over slapping a piece of wood in there?

I don't think there is one really.

They're only 1.40 a go so they're probably cheaper than bits of wood if you don't have any lying around and I guess they were more satisfying to install in that you just pop together, extend and bend ends and stick a screw in. They were a bit fiddly to actually attach the back boxes to though but that might just be because I didn't have appropriate screws.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah. still not much doing

finished off the data penetration panel thingy

So stuck some squishy tape on i had leftover from the skylights

Made up a little timber "picture frame" type thing to compress the panel and tape and hopefully create a seal

whack in some screws

looks pretty chronic but it'll be hidden behind the server cabinet in a loft that no one other than nerds will be invited to so probably whatever

just need to penetrate 72 times and stuff through all my data cables

I've been doing some stuff with a raspberry pie and it all seems to be working so i think all the clever monitoring stuff is probably going to semi work

This is the second hand patch panel thing I got that needs to be unwired and then repeat that with each one 72 times. I've got a second, new panel thats twice as dense as this one. Looks like a lot of work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Now I've got anxiety just from thinking about that cabling.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

penetration panel

Towards an L shape architecture:: The Penetration Panel

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Did it *have to* be flesh colored?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

peanut posted:

Did it *have to* be flesh colored?

You may not like it, but this is the optimal form for cable penetration.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

spent today penetrating

not really doing them in any order other that what feels natural from here, the backside

all done

climb round the other side

and lol its got a little tangled

tidy things up a little

Now just got to lift the cabinet in and I guess patch them all in in situ which is actually going to massively suck. Especially with the heat too.

In other news probably having to knock the complicated single heat store plans on the head which is a real shame. I really think its the way forward but I've had conflicting opinions on its viability. I think it will work whilst everyone else thinks its dumb and stupid and wont work.

Not like it will blow up or anything just whether the heat pump will ever achieve the temperatures the system requires to concurrently provide hot water and space heating via the underfloor heating. And if it will whether it'll be running at such a poo poo COP to essentially be not worth having and probably damage its lifespan in the meantime.

Coupled with the inability to actually source a store tank since the one i wanted went out of business. I had a glimmer of hope on ebay, finding a much bigger and higher spec carbon fibre pressure vessel than I actually needed. It wasnt intended for this use and would have required some modification but the seller has gone weirdly silent in the last 36 hours or so?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Now just got to lift the cabinet in and I guess patch them all in in situ which is actually going to massively suck. Especially with the heat too.

You could perhaps punch them down onto the patch panels before putting the cabinet in so as to give you a bit more room, then fit the panels into the cab.

Don't forget to leave some service length on the cables when you trim them down.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Coupled with the inability to actually source a store tank since the one i wanted went out of business. I had a glimmer of hope on ebay, finding a much bigger and higher spec carbon fibre pressure vessel than I actually needed. It wasnt intended for this use and would have required some modification but the seller has gone weirdly silent in the last 36 hours or so?

:boom:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

spent today penetrating

[

Was it made by OceanGate?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I had a glimmer of hope on ebay, finding a much bigger and higher spec carbon fibre pressure vessel than I actually needed. It wasnt intended for this use and would have required some modification but the seller has gone weirdly silent in the last 36 hours or so?
:golfclap:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Still thinking and lolling about “ebay-nasir”, how is that not the thread title yet. It so perfectly summarizes so much of 99s misfortune

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

oh it was a joke, I get it now. It was so in keeping I didn't even notice.

Docjowles posted:

Still thinking and lolling about “ebay-nasir”, how is that not the thread title yet. It so perfectly summarizes so much of 99s misfortune

yeah but ham

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Ebay-Nasir's Enduring L: A ham flavoured soakaway system is just the beginning

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Waited in all morning for mick george, who are poo poo, to ring about a bag of sharp sand delivery. Didn't want to go off to towen and not be able to get back in time but eventually just go to site and yeah

They've just delivered it behind the front wall and said nothing. Why dont people just do what they say theyre going to do?

Not a big deal really, shift it round with the digger which isnt even broken

Mix up some screed

to finally lay the shower wetroom slabs.

They need a 4 way fall to the long linear drain. Not done this before I don't think. So like this with the main fall at 1:60 or 80 or so. The others just make do. I'm intending to use like a mosaic set of tiles here that hopefully can absorb all the slopes without further cutting to fot the slope profiles. Otherwise I'll cut the tiles to match the slopes which kind of sucks but seems to be what people do.

bosh

Thats the main bathroom done, now the ensuite

same thing but in the corner so slightly less pre-existing slab to take levels off

Jobs a gooden

then stick in a few more accessible function boxes in the loft for various downlighters. These will, despite all your demands, (edit lol) NOT be fully individually accessible. In banks of two or three as appropriate. But I'm running in singles to these boxes, then splitting out into individual zones in twin and earth mainly as I couldn't come up with a sensible way of getting air tightness and full two layers of protection on the wiring above the downlights in singles.

Its still hot as gently caress so take an early finish to shoot off to one of the worst places in the world. The clothes shops. Roof off. Straight into thunderstorm, nowhere to stop until the shopping centre carpark where I have to get out and fix the roof on. Then can't get out for like half an hour whilst it pelts down

Then, apparently, I buy some child's shorts. ffs

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 22, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not a big deal really, shift it round with the digger which isnt even broken

It's the little things. :unsmith:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Then, apparently, I buy some child's shorts. ffs

aniviron posted:

It's the little things. :unsmith:

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
When it comes to the drain do not make it a complete oval office to clean. That is my only real advice on anything really is that anything which has a high operational work cost is an absolute bastard you will regret.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Expecting "How often am I going to need to get to it" to become the new "how hard can it be?"

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

holy poo poo, you're going to be so mad when you hear about wifi

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TheMightyHandful posted:

Wifi sucks for tons of connections.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMightyHandful posted:

Buying plain white sponge cakes from Tesco - this one weird trick wedding planners hate

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Cat Hatter posted:

Just have two WiFis. One for you and one for your guests and lightbulbs. Arrange them in an L.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have a separate kitchen for the lightbulbs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You need three wifis for two three reasons
1) both need to connect to something
2) to make the classical upper case L you need three (access) points
3) the plants in your plant room will grow faster with a steady dose of 2.4ghz

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Might as well get something Draytek or Ubiquiti at this point for it. In wall access points and then mesh the together. Guest, Regular and a 2.4 for those super special IOT things which cry if it switches frequencies: Looking at you Ubiquiti doorbell.

Oh, and make sure you put in a doorbell transformer into the consumer unit. You can put it on the downstairs lightning ring if you like to embrace your inner cheap new build developer, but something that will accept a decent doorbell or change would be good in the future, tuck some cat 6 there too

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Starbucks posted:

lightning ring

Is that an FFXIV drop or something?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Starbucks posted:

Might as well get something Draytek or Ubiquiti at this point for it. In wall access points and then mesh the together. Guest, Regular and a 2.4 for those super special IOT things which cry if it switches frequencies: Looking at you Ubiquiti doorbell.

Oh, and make sure you put in a doorbell transformer into the consumer unit. You can put it on the downstairs lightning ring if you like to embrace your inner cheap new build developer, but something that will accept a decent doorbell or change would be good in the future, tuck some cat 6 there too

Anybody who deliberately meshes wifi AP's in the same building deserves to be locked in an L-shaped loft space on a hot day and forced to download lots of massive files.

This L shaped house better end up with a properly managed wifi setup

Cat Hatter posted:

poo poo wifi sucks for tons of connections.
Good wifi is better than your standard 1gbit wired connection now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

How does running a thousand individual electrical wires through your walls impact the WiFi signal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lotta network partisans ITT. Bet you lot also had xbox vs playstation arguments at school.