Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Just signed up for this year, after having done a run last year to completion. My first assigned job is Blue Mage which I heard is pretty good. I'll be using a guide, but I am worried that I won't be able to get some spells if I don't get lucky with my other three jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's very few spells that are impossible to get, but some can definitely be very tedious.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

wokow6 posted:

Just signed up for this year, after having done a run last year to completion. My first assigned job is Blue Mage which I heard is pretty good. I'll be using a guide, but I am worried that I won't be able to get some spells if I don't get lucky with my other three jobs.

You need a source of Confusion or preferably Control to get everything good.

Confusion at least can be applied by a Dancing Dagger found in world 2, so at worst it just delays you getting some spells.

Unless you are on the PC Pixel Remaster where you need a mod to make Confuse work with White Wind and Mighty Guard.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

nrook posted:

If you’re in PC, you might want to look into Mega64’s mod they posted earlier. (Though back up your saves first.) White Wind would certainly be a very great way to survive against Archeoaevis, and against everybody else!

Imagine introducing a bug that prevents the Blue Mage from getting their signature spell. Disgraceful.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I can never use disable cutscene mods because then I'll miss out on name puns.

Also,

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I've just got my Krile job (BLM) and I'm ditching Beserker. Given I have no way to use them (including throwing), should I just get rid of my hammers and scythes?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Unless you have a Freelancer or a second Berserker for some reason, you can't use them anymore, so might as well sell them!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

And that's the first run of the year down. BST had to drag this team kicking and screaming for most of the run, but it still ended up very enjoyable.
I was gonna have Bartz !focus Chicken Knifing NED, but he got old from the first GC, so that plan went out the window. Thankfully Lamp Odin still kills the rear piece on console PR.

Next run was gonna be an Onion run, but it seems picking Typhoon overrode that.
Instead... I have what I think in all my years of fiesta-ing, my second ever BLU run.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh thank gently caress I finally beat those Crystals, thank you guys for reminding me about fire scrolls, it was just enough to help me outpace them. A well timed double successful Sword Dance on both my dancer and ninja took out that last crystal too

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Prototype before Sol Cannon
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)
Stingray before Leviathan
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

Round 2, world 3.

Exdeath's Soul is the least annoying source of Dark Matter, and is undead. It's pretty simple when you have both effective weapons.

Same story with King Behemoths, blind and berserk hold hands to make it not very dangerous.

I also got Stingray, but actually fighting Leviathan sounds like a pain.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Third triple crown in a row baby

Thank god for Quickleak or Omega would've been a no-go

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Jackanapes before Byblos
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

girl dick energy posted:

There Are Even Twelve Of Them
$2 for every run that gets all the tablets and, thus, all the Legendary Weapons. Screenshot of your inventory is fine for verification. Max number of runs I'll be accepting TBD, but I'm thinking $24. (Twelve of them!)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jose Valasquez posted:

:toxx:
I'll do the 0 power chicken knife once again, $10 up to a Max of $150 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

I have ranger for the love of god

I could've been using this thing for mondo damage but noooooo

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I'm grinding spellblade 6 out and my Knight just got to L5. I saw that eqSword is 350 AP and just burst out laughing. So, I think I've come up with a toxx.

:toxx: A little more conversation, :toxx:
I will pay $5 per run, up to $50 for each run that does not slot Action Abilities except on the class that gains them. For instance if you have Ranger, the current Ranger can equip !Critter but no one else in the party can. Anyone in the party can equip any support abilities desired.

This is probably a really obnoxious toxx, but people did my "don't spend any money" toxx, so I expect I'll see this one completed.

Kyrosiris posted:

:toxx: gently caress You, Yoshi-P, I'm Not Learning That! :toxx:

you can learn no more than 7 blue magic spells in FFV.[/i]

:toxx: I'm adding $5 to a maximum of $50 for this toxx, so everyone who completes it earns $7 of donations, one for every blue spell they're allowed.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

nrook posted:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Stingray before Leviathan edit
King Behemoth before Azulmagia edit

Not sure I had a way to do the shield dragon one

Had to fight Stoker with Blue and Mime dead because he kept mind blasting them. Samruai (5th job) + Ice Shield was plenty though.

I killed Stingray for Mighty Guard, but I don't really feel like doing Leviathan and dodging Aqua Rake. I might still do it though if I can fight him with only 2 characters like Stoker. Edit: gently caress. Ok. I think I will try it since I also have Apollo's Harp and can do some decent damage.

If I wasn't also doing gently caress You, Yoshi-P, I'm Not Learning That! I probably would have done the last 2.

And here is King Behemoth before Azulmagia. I just had the Mime and Blue Mage !Hide for Azulmagia.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 26, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Doing my own toxx, I was surprised to find the Sage's Staff does 3000+ damage to undead enemies. Thanks, Kuza!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
1st run of the year complete and 1st run of pixel remaster, on the switch.

game looks and sounds great. the run itself was fine. thief, ninja, geo, and mime did good work most the way through with a couple bumps. did get a touch lucky on neo-exdeath with aegis block on almagaest and grand cross, and was able to recover.

run 1 was zerk risk but was early on so my odds werent that good. run 2 however, job one... :black101:

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Got farther in today, picked up Mystic Knight from the Water Crystal, and after the Fire Crystal I got Bard. Which means I actually need to progress a bit more before the job actually unlocks.

Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, and Bard feels like a good mix of classes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

wokow6 posted:

Got farther in today, picked up Mystic Knight from the Water Crystal, and after the Fire Crystal I got Bard. Which means I actually need to progress a bit more before the job actually unlocks.

Those three plus Chemist is generally regarded as the most broken party possible.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

wokow6 posted:

Enjoy picking up White Wind in the Ronka Ruins and not having to worry about healing ever again.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
blue mage and mystic knight both get so many weird scam victories from bosses

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

DalaranJ posted:

I'm grinding spellblade 6 out and my Knight just got to L5. I saw that eqSword is 350 AP and just burst out laughing. So, I think I've come up with a toxx.

I will pay $5 per run, up to $50 for each run that does not slot Action Abilities except on the class that gains them. For instance if you have Ranger, the current Ranger can equip !Critter but no one else in the party can. Anyone in the party can equip any support abilities desired.

This is probably a really obnoxious toxx, but people did my "don't spend any money" toxx, so I expect I'll see this one completed.
well I have two Berserkers so it won't be any more annoying than things already are.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Doing an Upgrade run, got Black Mage first and decided to play it safe and take out Sandworm before unlocking my next job. I got Blue Mage at that point, so I figured I'd just stop there because between rods and blue magic I didn't think I could use much else and didn't want to risk pulling a Berserker.

So what were my last two jobs then?

Well drat, Gilgabot really wanted to make sure I would win.

I ended up being way overleveled because I was worried about Almagest, but then I ended up just casting Break on that piece until it went away.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Someone in the Discord mentioned Fifth Job replacing Red Mage with Ninja, the rest of the team being Samurai, Berserker, and Bard, and I was inspired:

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Just unlocked my Earth job and am delighted to see it's Chemist. I've got Black Mage/Time Mage/Geomancer, so I was a little worried about physical capability and now I think I have a shot at a triple crown if I'm feeling frisky. I've never actually [i]used[/i/] a Chemist, nor have I beaten either Omega or Shinryu, but I'm sure some Mix tables will be a big help, as will rod snapping.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Raitzeno posted:

Someone in the Discord mentioned Fifth Job replacing Red Mage with Ninja, the rest of the team being Samurai, Berserker, and Bard, and I was inspired:

:golfclap:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Raitzeno posted:

It's access to the wonder wand!!!

Also, all these 5th jobs where people don't just replace berserker feels like a psyop to me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Berserker's actually a good job though, with access to a solid weapon type in axes, and also World 3 is when it really shines, not to mention its problem spots are long past.

Meanwhile, there's jobs like Monk, Red Mage, and Geomancer that start off strong but fall off hard after World 1, so it makes a lot more sense to replace them at the point you get fifth job than a job that really takes off after the Pyramid.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rune axe hits really hard if you can add magic anyway.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I just think that a regular clear is pretty easy with almost any team (especially once you've hit 5th job) , and if you want to triple crown it is infinitely easier with 4 controllable characters instead of 3.

I don't know how down bad I'd have to be for offense to keep a berserker, maybe something like a chaos monk/thief/geo/dragoon?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Black/Berserker/Geo/Chemist was a nice team.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Mustard Iceman posted:

well I have two Berserkers so it won't be any more annoying than things already are.

Sure hope no one does a quadzerk Rubin order to complete my challenge automatically.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hackan Slash posted:

Also, all these 5th jobs where people don't just replace berserker feels like a psyop to me.

You can replace a berserker, but under no circumstances may you replace a BERSERKER

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got Cannoneer as my extra job, with my party being Blue/Mys/Knight/Monk. The obvious thing would be to replace the monk, but I kinda want to keep Focus for chicken knifing... I'm still not exactly clear on if per the new rules I can't use a job of my choice because it's not like it blanks it out like it used to.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

First fiesta in several years down. Easy triple crown 100% on Bard. Will probably be too busy with FFXVI to do another run but who knows.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hackan Slash posted:

It's not too uncommon that you end up with one character who just attacks 95% of the time. Having that be an enforced 100% isn't too terrible a loss, especially if the damage is good.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Hackan Slash posted:

I just couldn't think of a reason to keep RDM I forgot about the Wonder Wand. I did gently caress myself over when it comes to Shinryu though. I don't have a way to Berserk him now, so I might not be able to triple crown this team.

I also forget quite a bit between Fiestas so my decisions are typically very questionable.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

DalaranJ posted:

natural run automatically meets the :toxx:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not too uncommon that you end up with one character who just attacks 95% of the time. Having that be an enforced 100% isn't too terrible a loss, especially if the damage is good.

One berserker is generally a boon. (At least in situations without counterattacks.)

Two is a struggle.
Three is excruciating.
Four is almost but not entirely infeasible.

Basically, the more berserkers, the worse berserker is. And Berserker does nothing for other classes unless you have Geomancer or desperately want death sickle spam (you can't get more than one Rune Axe normally, after all)

Also an important point about single zerky runs is that you can "turn off" your berserker. By murdering them. In counter heavy fights, three characters and one corpse can be more workable than three characters and one counter magnet. This gets much less feasible as you add more zerky.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 26, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Berserker is like Bard or White Mage, a fantastic boon on its own, but pure hell if it's your only job the entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

...nah I'm still pretty down on Berserker. It's definitely not the worst class, as it functions alright without any support (as opposed to say, thief), but that lack of control is still a huge detriment. The only thing it really does special is, oddly enough, one of the best sources of instant death; other than that I'd rather have any other heavy armor class. Or most light armor classes...or most mages.