Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hallo spacedog posted:

Just left my kid off for 1 hr to visit the daycare she is starting 2x a week next week. Full of some crazy feelings right now. Hope they're ready for her honestly

Good luck! It took ours about a month to stop crying when we dropped her off and picked her up, also going twice a week. But she was always fine right after we left and had plenty of fun there. It's been nearly two months now and I'm on my...third cold I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah the earlier you get an evaluation the earlier you can get any needed interventions

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

slave to my cravings posted:

lol at trying to apply a half inch ribbon of eye ointment for pinkeye four times a day to a two year old

Hell yea now I have pinkeye

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we've been potty training for... a very long time, pee is perfectly fine but my son has steadfastly refused to poo poo anywhere but a diaper. well this is the second time in a month he's actually pooped in the toilet so maybe he's turning a corner.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Good luck! It took ours about a month to stop crying when we dropped her off and picked her up, also going twice a week. But she was always fine right after we left and had plenty of fun there. It's been nearly two months now and I'm on my...third cold I think.

She was apparently totally fine during the visit and did not cry at all. She has another one hour visit on Monday and then starts Tuesday. I'm curious as to what will happen then

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Both of the twins have been taking swim lessons and it paid off during vacation. I was able to encourage them to swim the entire length of the pool and came with them for support, as well as got them comfortable jumping in by themselves and getting to air. By the end we were comfortable not having an adult in the pool with all three kids while they jumped into the deep end and swam back to the ladder.

They aren’t strong swimmers yet but they will get the hang of it quick I think. Nice to know they won’t drown if they fall into a body of water now!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Love Bluey but god drat, was watching it with the kids at their grandparents house with lots of people around and boom, Onesies. Surprise infertility.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My youngest is turning 5 in a month. I asked him what he wanted for his birthday: a train, a bucket of feathers, a pet rattlesnake.

I think it's interesting he's not exposed to a lot of direct marketing because we only have streaming services.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
He's building a flying train and/or rattlesnake.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
"Daddy, can I see your poopy?"
"I flushed already sweet pea"
"Awwwwww"
"I promise I'll poop again today"
"Yay!!!""

Three year olds are weird

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's always cute when my 2yo comes Kramering down the hall, points, and screams "DADDY GO PEE-PEE!!!!"

I legit thought I was alone!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My three year old loves turning the lights off when I'm sitting on the toilet then running away cackling

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Takin' a poo poo in the dark

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Takin' a poo poo in the dark

Who amongst us

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Am reminded of the time a few months ago I had to go in the middle of the night so I went out to the hall bathroom in total darkness and in the middle of going I hear *BANG* of a door slamming so I leave the bathroom and the kid is standing in the hallway in the dark watching me

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Had the first swim lesson with the gremlin today. Not bad, he didn’t cry but he didn’t look thrilled either about it. He was mostly sleepy while we did all the stuff the instructor showed us. Didn’t care to splash around or anything but I take the not crying as a win.

If anything it felt like some fun bonding time. There’s three more sessions left. Mom gets the next one.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Tom Smykowski posted:

My three year old loves turning the lights off when I'm sitting on the toilet then running away cackling

In my childhood home there's only one toilet, and you can both lock the door and turn off the lights from the outside. You can guess how peaceful going to the bathroom was, especially with four kids.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

An aqua tots just opened up near us. It looks like they have a 6 or 8 week learn to swim course. Has anyone done it? Seems like it would be fun and our 2.5 year old could use some help around large bodies of water.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Welp after making my boyfriend feel like poo poo for a day, homegirl’s trip got canceled so we picked up kiddo on the way back from the airport. Honestly I was pretty happy to see him for a few before I had to get back to my place, and he asked if I was his best friend and omg my heart.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
some child dipshit slapped one of my infant kids for being annoying, as babies are, and my niece is now in trouble for immediately turning, charging, and decking the little motherfucker straight into having a nosebleed

how do i explain that it is better to solve our problems with words than with fists, but also, hell yes, that's the correct instinct, don't let people bully younger kids, and she's a badass who does not need to have regrets

truth be told she did nothing wrong imo

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 9, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hai:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
4 yro woke up this morning, apparently angry that he is not a vampire and that his bed is not a coffin

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m with you on this. I believe that part of my goal as a parent is to raise an adult that can navigate the spectrum of violence effectively. I don’t want them to be spineless or paralyzed by people who threaten them. Being able to handle conflict is a strength.

Words are the first tool and the best tool, but stepping up to defend your people is a good instinct. I’d want to validate both the instinct and the willingness to act more than I’d want to correct the actual action.

But I think I’m out of step with most people on this subject.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As long as they don't turn into the playground bully using violence to steal other kids ice cream it's probably fine up to a point

My kid is generally peaceful but daycare has sent us a handful of videos where she kept getting bumped by another girl during dance time and she spins around and pushes the girl down

Probably helps that she's the smallest or second smallest kid in her class so it's pretty clearly done in defense not to intimidate others, and she's not doing it randomly

For boys, especially larger ones it might be slightly different. By 6th grade I was the tallest kid in school my grade (briefly) and if I had started pushing smaller class mates around they would have rightfully punished me for it

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm starting to think that my kid is getting ready to drop her nap entirely based on what's been happening and everyone's comments in this thread.
About how long would people say the process of dropping it took for their kids, if you remember?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

hallo spacedog posted:

I'm starting to think that my kid is getting ready to drop her nap entirely based on what's been happening and everyone's comments in this thread.
About how long would people say the process of dropping it took for their kids, if you remember?

It just happened, we moved bedtime up and high fived each other lol. I was anxious about dropping nap and she was like MAYBE 2.5 when she stopped but bedtime was so much easier and the extra time in the evening was a blessing. Evenings were a hot mess for a while but she adjusted.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

So after I take my toddler in the pool for swim class I take him to the men’s locker room because the family one is being renovated. We shower off and get changed and without fail this kid belts out, “Papa’s got a BIG dingle!”

I swear I didn’t tell him to say that. :smug:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Strapping my toddler to a clockwork orange machine (high chair next to my computer) and putting this video on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRK0qDj6bTI

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly sometimes proto-bullies just need a slight rear end kicking to correct their alignment.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dad: brb gotta go pee
Mom: k
Toddler in quiet bookstore: YOU HAVE TO POOP? DAD? ITS OKAY WE CAN GO HOME AND POOP

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yesterday we had a birthday party at one of those jump places. I bruised my tailbone at the jump place because I sat funny at the edge of a ball pit and now it hurts to sit but it also hurts to stand.

By pure coincidence it also happened to be my birthday as well. This isn't funny body. Stop it. Stop reminding me that I'm getting old.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Trampoline? Fine.

Crawl through some weird adventure pipe maze like thing like they used to have at McDonald's? I'm way too big but I got through just fine.

Sat funny? Welcome to 3 days of agony, bitch

cailleask
May 6, 2007

As a person who did a ton of infant swim classes with both kids and now has elementary aged swimmers, if I had to do it again I’d put them in ISR instead of the splashy toddler swim classes. If I had time for both, fine, but I think ISR would have been more beneficial to us as a family and them as kids in the long run.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Renegret posted:

Trampoline? Fine.

Crawl through some weird adventure pipe maze like thing like they used to have at McDonald's? I'm way too big but I got through just fine.

Sat funny? Welcome to 3 days of agony, bitch

Like how I could get into extreme sports and probably damage myself less than sleep does

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

cailleask posted:

As a person who did a ton of infant swim classes with both kids and now has elementary aged swimmers, if I had to do it again I’d put them in ISR instead of the splashy toddler swim classes. If I had time for both, fine, but I think ISR would have been more beneficial to us as a family and them as kids in the long run.

Tell me more. My kid is currently in those normal swim classes.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I always hear mixed reviews on the ISR classes. I know anecdote is not data but I’ve seen (in other peoples children):

1. My kid was insanely scared and traumatized and now hates the water
2. See above but we put them in splashy kid class and now they’re ok
3. My 3 month old now swims with the precision and lung capacity of a Navy seal
4. Kids did ISR and turned out fine

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sorry I can't find the post, what is an ISR class

We signed our daughter up for a private class for next week as the house we moved into has a pool without a fence around it and we'd like to give her a fighting chance in case she escapes and falls in

Edit I googled it, infant swim rescue

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You're still going to fence the pool, right?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You're still going to fence the pool, right?

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yep. We are in compliance with california state law (door alarms + childproof door locks + self closing gates + pool intrusion alarm) in the mean time.