Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

withak posted:

No worries, Brandon Sanderson will be able to finish it.

Honestly, if he dies I'd expect his wife to finish it - she's a published author in her own right, and has been his sole research assistant on the LBJ books from day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
My audiobook slot is currently taken up by Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, and it is glorious. I've started following along with the Book of the Month thread discussion of it from a couple years back, and the commentary from posters there is adding a great deal. You can absolutely see the genetics of this in Tolkien and Jacques. I wish we could get more books like this that are:

1) Ostensibly written for kids, but without talking down to them, and thus are interesting to adults as well

2) So loving joyful oh my god this is a romp. Everyone's having a blast all the time, and Robin and his band are just so much fun to "be around"

Can highly recommend as something to insert between the heavy stuff that we're so fond of in this thread.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished the Scholomance series by Naomi Novik. A lot of fun apart from hitting a bit of a drag in the middle of book 2. Finished out pretty good, though.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Armauk posted:

What’s the appeal for reading The Power Broker?

I find this a mind-boggling question: it's a Pulitzer Prize winning biography of one of the most influential people in American history relatively few have heard of.

Incidentally I'd ever heard of Robert Moses till I watched Edward Norton's Motherless Brooklyn. after that I found this book and devoured it.

Armauk posted:

but this is a tome.

feels like this thread of any should appreciate extremely well-written long books.

Armauk posted:

Interesting a good e-book doesn’t exist.

Took me about a month to listen to the audiobook and I enjoyed it immensely.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kestral posted:

Speaking of bizarre 80s SF/F, finished The Many-Colored Land and man is that a trip. The dialogue is still godawful, but the premise of psychic alien colonizers of prehistoric Earth enslave time-traveling human exiles from the far future, and thereby becomes the basis for Welsh / Celtic / Breton mythology is so goddamn good that I'm going to have to at least read the second one. For the Pliocene Exile enjoyers in the thread, what's the structure of the series like? I got the impression from the afterword of Many-Colored Land that it's sort of a duology with Golden Torc, but I know there's four books in the series.

Definitely worth reading. I think every book in the series gets better personally.

It's one of those books I wish there was a good audiobook reading of the series but they only ever did the first one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kestral posted:

My audiobook slot is currently taken up by Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, and it is glorious. I've started following along with the Book of the Month thread discussion of it from a couple years back, and the commentary from posters there is adding a great deal. You can absolutely see the genetics of this in Tolkien and Jacques. I wish we could get more books like this that are:

1) Ostensibly written for kids, but without talking down to them, and thus are interesting to adults as well

2) So loving joyful oh my god this is a romp. Everyone's having a blast all the time, and Robin and his band are just so much fun to "be around"

Can highly recommend as something to insert between the heavy stuff that we're so fond of in this thread.

Have you read Ivanhoe?!

It has a huge chunk of deeply unfortunate anti-semitism and is otherwise typical of the time but it's a similar sort of feeling to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kestral posted:

I'm so glad people are still enjoying that thread. Genuinely my favorite book and probably the best set of posts I've made on this forum.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Can he really do it justice? I have to imagine LBJ's presidency saw some story-important loving.
probably got fewer scenes where he forces congressmen to look at his penis

but on the other hand, depending on how Sanderson feels about "bunghole" and "down where your nuts hang" we might lose important lore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zNMo8kl7Ac

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBKJML5M

Norman Spinrad is selling an unfinished novel on Amazon, in an attempt to find a publisher. So unfinished, in fact, that he couldn't even be bothered to proofread the blurb, which reads like a parody of new wave science fiction. I guess it could be worth checking out if you are a huge Norman Spinrad fan (yes, it is really him. He posted it on the SFWA forums.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SimonChris posted:

So unfinished, in fact, that he couldn't even be bothered to proofread the blurb, which reads like a parody of new wave science fiction.
how bad could it...

quote:

The two main characters are a man and a woman who are citizens of a New York which is more second online electronic life than "real' and likewise their personalities. They don't like each other. Neither of them quite believe that the other one is real. They leave a second life party in a car, which is wrecked, and they find themselves bouncing threw a series of discontented realities trying to return to the Big Apple which is always in the far distance. Everything is real? Or is nothing real?

And when they finally get back to what New York as become---
I left it bolded because the original was.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deptfordx posted:

Definitely worth reading. I think every book in the series gets better personally.

It's one of those books I wish there was a good audiobook reading of the series but they only ever did the first one.

Fair warning to anyone picking it up, from a 2023 perspective there are some eye wateringly uh problematic aspects, Julian has some herbertesque views on the gender dynamic and there's a lot of psychic space rape elves

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Kestral posted:

Speaking of bizarre 80s SF/F, finished The Many-Colored Land and man is that a trip. The dialogue is still godawful, but the premise of psychic alien colonizers of prehistoric Earth enslave time-traveling human exiles from the far future, and thereby becomes the basis for Welsh / Celtic / Breton mythology is so goddamn good that I'm going to have to at least read the second one. For the Pliocene Exile enjoyers in the thread, what's the structure of the series like? I got the impression from the afterword of Many-Colored Land that it's sort of a duology with Golden Torc, but I know there's four books in the series.

These are some of my fave books of all time. Just a sucker for the sheer number of very distinctly drawn minor characters who show up and weave their way through the first four books, and there are so many great scenes that I'll happily pull off the shelf and flick through again. Definitely a set where you have no idea

You have four books set in the past, and four books set in the Galactic Milieu (the other end of the time gate that you got fascinating glimpses of in the first books) - the second set have a focus on a particular family's history and don't go quite so ridiculous but I really enjoyed the aliens and it's one of those settings that's well-drawn enough that I'd like to live there.

sebmojo posted:

Fair warning to anyone picking it up, from a 2023 perspective there are some eye wateringly uh problematic aspects, Julian has some herbertesque views on the gender dynamic and there's a lot of psychic space rape elves

Also later on a lot of this particular set of cultures are scientifically! more dynamic than others. - but at least people disagreeing with that in the fiction drives the plot.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Also probably lucky that these books came out just early enough that nobody's tried to draw fan-art of the alien Gi.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xiw posted:

Also probably lucky that these books came out just early enough that nobody's tried to draw fan-art of the alien Gi.

I'm sure there's some in a fanzine or twenty somewhere...

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Dune Messiah (Dune #2) by Frank Herbert - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011UGNDG/
Oryx and Crake (Maddaddam #1) by Margaret Atwood - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1BNI/
Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F43JYDN/
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC11A6/
Against All Gods (Age of Bronze #1) by Miles Cameron - $0.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09K78SJV3/
Coraline by Neil Gaiman - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1192/
The Sandman: Book of Dreams by Neil Gaiman - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XMTN71L/
The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI181JI/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

Have you read Ivanhoe?!

It has a huge chunk of deeply unfortunate anti-semitism and is otherwise typical of the time but it's a similar sort of feeling to me.

Anti-semitism, but on the part of the characters rather than the author, surely? Isaac and Rebecca are unambiguously not villains in the story and much of the plot is driven by their persecution, which is historically accurate.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

how bad could it...

I left it bolded because the original was.

I read part of the sample because I like Spinrad, and good Lord. To be fair, it's an unedited first draft so of course it's going to suck, but it barely qualifies as readable.

(edit:) Okay, I finished reading the sample because I'm a masochist and it's just ... sad. It feels like self-parody. And I thought He Walked Among Us was the lowest Spinrad was ever going to hit.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 11, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How old is spinrad now?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How old is spinrad now?

83 in a couple of months.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SimonChris posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBKJML5M

Norman Spinrad is selling an unfinished novel on Amazon, in an attempt to find a publisher. So unfinished, in fact, that he couldn't even be bothered to proofread the blurb, which reads like a parody of new wave science fiction. I guess it could be worth checking out if you are a huge Norman Spinrad fan (yes, it is really him. He posted it on the SFWA forums.)

Bought immediately, no idea who this dude is but that blurb reads like fiction as told by an inebriated Zuckerburg.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Danhenge posted:

I liked it pretty well, enough that I'd read more by the same author, but not enough that it'll be on my list of favorites for the year. I think the ending kind of dragged a little. That said, I suspect other posters might enjoy it more than I did! It does a pretty nice job of painting a picture that implies a weirder and more complex world than we see. For instance (minor spoiler, not super plot relevant)it seems like the story takes place on a colony world where there used to be some sort of space station orbiting the planet that a lot of people lived on. It's not totally relevant to the plot, but there are oblique hints a few times.

I'm about 500 pages in (its 900+ on my reading app) and man I think I am going to have to give up and try again later. I think I read through the earlier chapters too fast because I was like "Ok and then what?? and then what????" constantly, the world is super super intriguing and the main character is an endearing poo poo who only kind of knows what's going on and is pissed his ex is allowed to talk to his new boyfriend. But yeah, I think I read it too fast so now I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. Very good book.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

pradmer posted:

Against All Gods (Age of Bronze #1) by Miles Cameron - $0.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09K78SJV3/

Artifact Space also looks like it's on sale (at least on Kobo), and is also really good

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

big dyke energy posted:

I'm about 500 pages in (its 900+ on my reading app) and man I think I am going to have to give up and try again later. I think I read through the earlier chapters too fast because I was like "Ok and then what?? and then what????" constantly, the world is super super intriguing and the main character is an endearing poo poo who only kind of knows what's going on and is pissed his ex is allowed to talk to his new boyfriend. But yeah, I think I read it too fast so now I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. Very good book.

To its credit, there's a lot happening in the book and it never really infodumps (except maybe near the end?) so a lot of what's happening has to be inferred from context.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Kestral posted:

I read a book in the exact middle of this series when I was like eight after picking it up randomly at a library because its cover looks like this:

Dragons vs Jet Fighters let's loving gooooo

I am convinced that if I read this now I would hate it, but it completely blew my mind as a tiny human who had recently started playing D&D.

I do need a palate-cleanser from Many-Colored Land though, so I've started on The Archive Undying, Emma Mieko Candon's extremely gay mecha novel. Only about 50 pages in so far, but the writing is good enough that I'm excited to dig into it. Anyone else reading / have read this?

Oh we talking about whacky 80s SF/F pulp? Let me introduce you to my favorite, The Ayes of Texas trilogy by Daniel Da Cruz. Set in a future in which the USSR is kicking the United State's rear end in the Cold War, Texas secedes and takes matters into their own hands. In the first book a good ol' boy oil tycoon arms a battleship to the teeth with modern weapons and mans it with disabled veterans and sends it off to kick commie rear end and things only escalate from there. The best way I can pitch this series is by describing a scene from the third book: The Soviet's launch a massive land invasion of Texas, landing a fuckton of tanks out of the gulf. A massive force of tanks is moving through a huge flat area when they start to bog down a bit. They come to the stop and the commander gets out to have a look. As he is investigating the mud he realizes it isn't water, it's oil! At that moment a motherfucking dude on a white horse dressed as the lone ranger appears on a nearby hill and pulls out a bow, lights an arrow on fire, and shoots it into the field immolating the entire tank force.

It's fuckin' rad and everybody should read it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

I read part of the sample because I like Spinrad, and good Lord. To be fair, it's an unedited first draft so of course it's going to suck, but it barely qualifies as readable.

(edit:) Okay, I finished reading the sample because I'm a masochist and it's just ... sad. It feels like self-parody. And I thought He Walked Among Us was the lowest Spinrad was ever going to hit.

Apparently his latest publication was a novella in Asimov's, starring brilliant entrepreneur "Elon Tesla", who monologues about how he saved humanity with his Mars rockets. How the mighty have fallen.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Leng posted:

I ended up starting on In the Shadow of Lightning. Read six chapters before dinner and it's been kind of eh. The opening isn't as strong as Promise of Blood and the constant use of "glass_____" or "____glass" got grating fast. We get female POVs though, and so far those are much improved! But every time a battle-hardened veteran shouts "glassdamn" or "piss and poo poo" as a swear (which was often) made me eyeroll so I read the third Sanderson secret project instead

Leng posted:

The book opens, by the way, with "A Brief Glossary of Common Godglass" (14 types listed, with such names as "auraglass", "cureglass", "dazeglass", "fearglass", "omniglass", and "hammerglass"). The glass mages are called "glassdancers". At one point I was reading about a glassdancer drinking whisky out of a glass saying "glassdamnit" while making the glass bottles behind the bar explode in a fit of rage because the dodgy bartender couldn't supply him with any skyglass after which he says "glassdamn" because when he leaves, he runs into somebody from his past who convinces him to get into a private carriage stamped with a silic symbol and pours said glassdancer a glass of sherry. Glass glass glass glass glass.

I have now finished In the Shadow of Lightning. The use of "glass", "piss" and "piss and poo poo" as the only in-world fantasy swears does not get better. If anything, it gets worse, with phrases like "bloody as piss" just thrown in there where I'm like...okay, I see what you're trying to do here but it's just a stretch too far because piss, generally, isn't bloody so my brain has to go through several rounds of acrobatics to consider things like "well maybe that's the point, the point is that piss isn't normally bloody and if it's bloody like piss it's bloody like there's something wrong with your kidneys and you're pissing blood which is Not Good" and by the time my brain's done that, I'm completely out of the story.

The plot is fairly by the numbers. There are twists but the kind of twists where 9 in 10 times I read a line and go "aha, this is the traitor/object/method/etc" and not in a "that was a puzzle that took me a while to piece together so I really, really want to be proved right" way. There is a romantic subplot in there that I don't buy because of the lack of chemistry between the two characters in question but it doesn't detract from the main plot so I wasn't too bothered by its presence (other than the brief "...why?" that crossed my mind). The final reveal of oh hey, it was aliens beings from another dimension/universe pulling strings all along didn't excite me—possibly because by this time, I'm a little burned out with everybody trying to have puppetmaster universe lords having an, ahem, pissing contest that I genuinely would have preferred the answer had turned out to be one of the other countries.

Overall a very eh read. I don't plan on continuing with the series.

I've now moved on to The Burning God and I don't immediately hate anything so far, so yay? I am apparently 67 of 124 reserves for Yellowface which is a crazy long line of reserves for my library. I wonder if it'll be the book that finally convinces me of the RF Kuang hype.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Bought immediately, no idea who this dude is but that blurb reads like fiction as told by an inebriated Zuckerburg.

His best book is probably The Iron Dream which is a satire that exposes much of the latent fascist underbelly of pulp Science Fiction by being a completely in-universe Hugo winning book by Adolf HItler if had emigrated and become an SF writer rather than a dictator.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Even that is a great idea with mediocre execution.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

StrixNebulosa posted:

RIGHT we also missed this big release:

Melissa Scott's The Master of Samar, a standalone fantasy novel that's 300+ pages.

Unfortunately Candlemark and Gleam is a tiny tiny publisher so it gets 0 press, which is a bummer as it's published one of my favorite novels (Erekos)

This was pages ago but oh poo poo this sounds fantastic, I'm in.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Quorum posted:

This was pages ago but oh poo poo this sounds fantastic, I'm in.

Yeah I did look that one up and then I saw it was like £16 for the paperback and decided not to spring for it right now

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Even that is a great idea with mediocre execution.

Yeah, it's not worth actually reading.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Megazver posted:

Yeah, it's not worth actually reading.

It's great that it exists and it has some fab covers but yeah, it's a really good imitation of lovely racist pulp sf so...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://michellesagara.com/full-cover-another-indigo-promotion/

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/shards-of-glass-a-novel/9780778305224-item.html

Cover reveal / summary for Michelle Sagara's latest novel!

quote:

The Academia, once an elite proving ground for the rulers of the world, has been frozen for centuries. Now its strange slumber has ended, and a new Chancellor, an orange-eyed dragon, has reopened its lecture halls and readied its dorms. In order to thrive once more, however, the Academia needs fresh blood—new students with a passion and talent for learning.

One such student, Robin, has the perfect recruit in mind: his friend Raven, an orphan who lives in the dangerous Warrens. Robin grew up in the Warrens, and he wouldn't have made it if not for Raven. He knows she’ll be safe at the Academia, where her unusual gifts can be appreciated.

But when students start turning up dead, the campus threatens to collapse completely. Raven and Robin will not let that happen to their new home…if they can survive long enough to figure out who—or what—is trying to kill them.

500+ pages, seems to be set in her Cast in [x] series but works as a standalone. I'm excited!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fez_machine posted:

His best book is probably The Iron Dream which is a satire that exposes much of the latent fascist underbelly of pulp Science Fiction by being a completely in-universe Hugo winning book by Adolf HItler if had emigrated and become an SF writer rather than a dictator.

I might need to check that out. I think the only Spinrod book I've read was Pictures at 11

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In the tiny forum thread, the goons post endlessly, relentlessly.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fez_machine posted:

I wouldn't call it his best book -- I'd put Little Heroes, The Void Captain's Tale, Pictures at 11, and even Bug Jack Barron over it. As others have noted, The Iron Dream is just one idea -- retelling the events of Hitler's rise to power as if they were a SF story -- and once you've gotten the joke, there's not much else to it. (Ursula Le Guin's review says it much better.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 11, 2023

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

HopperUK posted:

Have you read Ivanhoe?!

Oh man, Ivanhoe! I read it when I was 11 or 12 and loved it, but it might be time for a reread - still have the Easton Press copy on my bookshelf. Good call!

D-Pad posted:

Oh we talking about whacky 80s SF/F pulp? Let me introduce you to my favorite, The Ayes of Texas trilogy by Daniel Da Cruz. Set in a future in which the USSR is kicking the United State's rear end in the Cold War, Texas secedes and takes matters into their own hands. In the first book a good ol' boy oil tycoon arms a battleship to the teeth with modern weapons and mans it with disabled veterans and sends it off to kick commie rear end and things only escalate from there. The best way I can pitch this series is by describing a scene from the third book: The Soviet's launch a massive land invasion of Texas, landing a fuckton of tanks out of the gulf. A massive force of tanks is moving through a huge flat area when they start to bog down a bit. They come to the stop and the commander gets out to have a look. As he is investigating the mud he realizes it isn't water, it's oil! At that moment a motherfucking dude on a white horse dressed as the lone ranger appears on a nearby hill and pulls out a bow, lights an arrow on fire, and shoots it into the field immolating the entire tank force.

It's fuckin' rad and everybody should read it.

Holy poo poo lol, what an incredible pitch. I wonder if anyone is still writing gloriously insane pulp these days.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
In His Majesty's Service: Three Novels of Temeraire (#1-3) by Naomi Novik - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002T18VD6/

The Color of Magic (Discworld #1) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W9399S/

Kushiel's Chosen (Kushiel's Legacy #2) by Jacqueline Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FA5QCC/

Kushiel's Avatar (Kushiel's Legacy #3) by Jacqueline Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ENPHY4/

The Simulacra by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVQZKW/

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Everyone posted:

I might need to check that out. I think the only Spinrod book I've read was Pictures at 11

just google image search the title and enjoy, the book itself can't live up to the variety of cover art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I rather like Rowena's fey leatherboy Hitler for the 1980s edition:

This is the edition I have, though. And yes, the heroes of the book do wield metal truncheons that look like massive fists. Spinrad thinks subtlety is for wimps.