Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

yum posted:

It's been emphasized that Conquerer's haki is extremely rare, one in several million people, and not something you can gain through training. The cabinboy from East Blue had the qualities of a supreme king the entire time. Would it have been too sudden to reveal this during Marineford? Feels like a last minute decision sort of thing, but Koby needs a powerup like this if he's to be an admiral and be an analogue to the future King of Pirates.

I'm more or less okay with it since it's set up for the upcoming fireworks factory conclusion, even if it is an asspull on par with Sabo's rapid elevation to big fish. Oda has more than enough goodwill after all these years.

Dunno why people hang onto the one in a million thing so much. It's an one in a million thing because most people are lazy and don't really have any ambitions. Actual resident of the New World aside, anyone willing to be there, by definition have some kind of ambition.

Fraudhawk? Pfft, he couldn't even hurt Buggy, and constantly chickens out of fighting Shanks. Got really scared when Buggy suggested going after the One Piece.

He aint poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Coby is a character who is supposed to be the closest thing to luffy's equal in the marines thats his entire (thin) characterization. Would I have preferred Coby to have come up more in the last 15 years instead of just being told he's powered up turbo hard offscreen? Yes, but this isnt some random person. We've been told how super important coby is for a long time, and yeah I'd prefer to have been shown it instead but whatever. (and this is assuming you dont believe he already expressed CoC at marineford). I guess I'm just surprised that people are surprised by this.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I dislike the whole 1 in a million thing because it goes against the themes of the series. It’s been described as an innate trait someone is born with, you either have it or you don’t. It’s not something you can nurture with any amount of hard work. It’s why Doflamingo’s executives are the way they are - they believe he was destined from birth to be a king. He’s built different at a genetic level.

It sends the message that only select individuals can stand on the world stage and qualifications for it are predetermined at birth. It’s Great Man theory. For the case of Koby, him having conquerors haki reinforces this as it means it’s a requirement to butt heads with the greats. If he didn’t have conquerers haki, readers would consider him as strong, but ultimately second fiddle to the *real* powerhouses that have it.

I hope it’s revealed later on that conquerors is also something you can develop

yum fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 20, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Guys, haki is just willpower.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
you made me google the population of the one piece world and apparently just the island of alabasta is longer than all of africa while fitting snugly in the grand line, making the world absolutely huge and thousands of "one in a millions" completely possible :reject:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda easy to forget, but yeah, most of One Piece post-East Blue has basically just been happening on the equator, a relatively small sliver of the planet.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

junan_paalla posted:

you made me google the population of the one piece world and apparently just the island of alabasta is longer than all of africa while fitting snugly in the grand line, making the world absolutely huge and thousands of "one in a millions" completely possible :reject:

Yeah, a "one in a million person" would mean there's 7-8,000 of them even in real life, I don't see why a few dozen is such a big deal for One Piece.

If anything there should be more.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Yeah the Conqueror's Haki thing you can kind of side-eye in a vacuum, but in the context of One Piece's (very well developed) world it makes perfect sense.

The world is huge (gigantic), so the numbers work out, and we're explicitly only paying attention to the one part of the world that selects exactly for ambitious and strong characters.

Further, I think Conqueror's is easily readable as something anyone can have, but only one in a million people actually have the will to develop it. Maybe you can be born with a predisposition towards it (like Ace or Doffy, who had it as kids), but I think it makes perfect sense that it can be something gained as well.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i don't think conquerer's haki is something you're born with. you need to go out there and basically throw your life on the line at one in a million odds. for most people: that means instantly dying, but for a select few people who are lucky and strong (like koby and luffy), you survive long enough to fully realize your ambition. in one piece you have weak characters standing up for impossible ideas all the time and dying for them, but if they had luffy's strength and survived a long time, they might also develop conquerer's haki. the other thing is people with conquerer's haki are basically going to be at odds with other people who could potentially develop it, which squashes the ability for it to develop. kidd has it? and got wiped the gently caress out by shanks.

it's not genetics, it's just people who really set their mind to something, are willing to die, and survive time and time again that get it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

yum posted:

I dislike the whole 1 in a million thing because it goes against the themes of the series. It’s been described as an innate trait someone is born with, you either have it or you don’t.

This is a hazy conclusion drawn from certain lines that I feel like the fandom ran away with - only two characters comment on the rarity of CH, and what they say is that "one in millions have it" and "you were chosen by the heavens." Even the whole "you can't train to have/improve it" seems to me like it's contradicted pretty heavily by Luffy developing it mid-fight against Kaido.

Also, as I've previously posted;

Bleck posted:

The story seems to imply things about CH that's contrary to what it states directly - people think that a character having CH undermines their efforts by making it seem like they're lucky enough to get this thing that lets them do things, but the subtext seems to imply the opposite.

Like, Luffy isn't going to become the king of the pirates because he's a one in a million guy that has CH. Luffy can use CH because he's a one in a million guy who is going to become the king of the pirates.

I'd go so far as to say that Zoro's CH reveal is supposed to be a subtle confirmation of this - he realizes that for him to be the world's greatest swordsman, he has to have CH, and then he does.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:hellyeah: HONESTY IMPACT :hellyeah:

Yeah I'm willing to believe that anyone can develop Conqueror's Haki but the Grand Line acts like a Great Filter and weeds out the weak. We'll see, though!

Bleck posted:

This is a hazy conclusion drawn from certain lines that I feel like the fandom ran away with - only two characters comment on the rarity of CH, and what they say is that "one in millions have it" and "you were chosen by the heavens." Even the whole "you can't train to have/improve it" seems to me like it's contradicted pretty heavily by Luffy developing it mid-fight against Kaido.

Seems like you can't directly "level up" your CH by, say, constantly projecting a menacing aura, but you can figure out different ways to apply it. Infusion is taking the principle of emission/ryuo and applying it to CH, for example. You just have to figure out you can do it.

But on the other hand, Shanks was able to intimidate Ryokugyu and communicate with him from what seemed to be a few miles away. If you can't directly train CH, now I'm wondering if Shanks possesses the "Voice of All Things" and can combine that with CH. Or maybe it's something else! I dunno!

One Piece rules

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

More than likely just coincidence but it's neat these are almost identical paneling.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

:hellyeah: HONESTY IMPACT :hellyeah:

Yeah I'm willing to believe that anyone can develop Conqueror's Haki but the Grand Line acts like a Great Filter and weeds out the weak. We'll see, though!

Seems like you can't directly "level up" your CH by, say, constantly projecting a menacing aura, but you can figure out different ways to apply it. Infusion is taking the principle of emission/ryuo and applying it to CH, for example. You just have to figure out you can do it.

But on the other hand, Shanks was able to intimidate Ryokugyu and communicate with him from what seemed to be a few miles away. If you can't directly train CH, now I'm wondering if Shanks possesses the "Voice of All Things" and can combine that with CH. Or maybe it's something else! I dunno!

One Piece rules

I like to think of the CH explanation as it can't be trained physically but grows proportional along with your sheer determination to be THE KING.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think Conqueror's Haki comes down to some combination of willpower, courage, ideals you're willing to die for and the strength to make those a reality. It's the physical manifestation of the awe that kind of figure inspires.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
didnt don chinjao have it

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Bleck posted:

I should’ve known better if stemmed from misinterpretation from the fan base. I’m all the way onboard with what others have said about CH. I got that born-with-it info from the wiki, and I vaguely recalled those lines in the manga. It feels super out of place with the rest of the series for it to be something you’re born with.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jose posted:

He did until Garp beat it out of him

Thinking about it now Moria probably had it too until he ran into Kaido

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yum posted:

I should’ve known better if stemmed from misinterpretation from the fan base. I’m all the way onboard with what others have said about CH. I got that born-with-it info from the wiki, and I vaguely recalled those lines in the manga. It feels super out of place with the rest of the series for it to be something you’re born with.

It's especially out-of-place because there's already a way the world marks those fated from birth to have a major role in upending the world. It's the letter D.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jose posted:

yea

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Arist posted:

It's especially out-of-place because there's already a way the world marks those fated from birth to have a major role in upending the world. It's the letter D.

honestly given that one flashback recently with ace/sabo (sa d. bo lol) im thinking that the D name isnt actually a family thing, but a signifies that you also inherited the will of a group of people from a long time ago and that people have been passing down the initial so everyone who has the same ideas knows who is who.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Yeah, I think people are putting the cart before the horse with CH. Colby can't punch the giant arm because he has CH, he has CH because he spent years punching the battleship bags so he could fulfill his dream of becoming a great navyman. Only one in a million people are willing to put in that kind of effort.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CH hasnt actually influenced the narrative in any way. So far its just something formidable leaders have to show us that they're very important/inspiring.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
hell, the explicitly spelled out message of the last two chapters is "nobody is born a hero"

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

GodFish posted:

he has CH because he spent years punching the battleship bags so he could fulfill his dream of becoming a great navyman. Only one in a million people are willing to put in that kind of effort.

why do you think I've been posting Good Ch. every week for ten years?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GodFish posted:

Yeah, I think people are putting the cart before the horse with CH. Colby can't punch the giant arm because he has CH, he has CH because he spent years punching the battleship bags so he could fulfill his dream of becoming a great navyman. Only one in a million people are willing to put in that kind of effort.
Yeah, it's this. Anyone reading this chapter and thinking "I guess Coby is just another 'chosen one' hero born to be exceptional" is completely missing the point. He's explicitly just a lame normal dude with no aptitude. He's proving that anyone can do it with one-in-a-million exceptional effort.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Rayleigh was chilling on a boat until Roger turned up and he had it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It seems like the key is that you can't just do some Conqueror's Haki training and get it. It's something that you have or don't, but there's no real limit to when it can be awakened.

Honestly it seems like Garp might have the best understanding of Conqueror's Haki since he does haves some semblance of a training program to help you out. Still it's not a do X and you too can have Conqueror's Haki.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i didn't even read the rest of yalls opinions yet but i hope we are all in agreement that this was a loving great chapter, goddamn

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

hatty posted:

cant wait for Dragon to actually do something it’ll be a similar situation I’d think

Cross Guild Pirate: Dragon's Haki is so strong that it made Crocodile pass out!
Dragon: No that's uhhh.... that's something different..... :blush:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

yum posted:

I dislike the whole 1 in a million thing because it goes against the themes of the series. It’s been described as an innate trait someone is born with, you either have it or you don’t. It’s not something you can nurture with any amount of hard work. It’s why Doflamingo’s executives are the way they are - they believe he was destined from birth to be a king. He’s built different at a genetic level.

It sends the message that only select individuals can stand on the world stage and qualifications for it are predetermined at birth. It’s Great Man theory. For the case of Koby, him having conquerors haki reinforces this as it means it’s a requirement to butt heads with the greats. If he didn’t have conquerers haki, readers would consider him as strong, but ultimately second fiddle to the *real* powerhouses that have it.

I hope it’s revealed later on that conquerors is also something you can develop

Think about it like salvation in Calvinism. Yea, its predetermined, but if you dedicate life to Christ and act like someone whos saved you probably are.

If youre the one in a million who has the personality and willpower required to achieve the sorts of things that Conquerers Haki would allow you to do, then you probably had Conquerers all along anyway.

I do think personality is a big part of it too, and nobody would think its wierd to call a personality trait One in a Million. Like, personality wise, after Luffy and Zoro I honestly think the next likely person to have Conquerers wouldnt be Jinbei or Sanji, but Usopp. Hes the only one in the crew other than Luffy whos shown any interest in being a leader.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 20, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There was some stuff in Egghead about how anyone can be a "D" right? Would not be surprised if the same goes for Conquerors Haki.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Film Gold, Stampede, and Film Red are coming to Crunchyroll next week:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/announcements/2023/7/20/watch-one-piece-anime-movies-on-crunchyroll-including-one-piece-film-red

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Meme Emulator posted:

I do think personality is a big part of it too, and nobody would think its wierd to call a personality trait One in a Million. Like, personality wise, after Luffy and Zoro I honestly think the next likely person to have Conquerers wouldnt be Jinbei or Sanji, but Usopp. Hes the only one in the crew other than Luffy whos shown any interest in being a leader.

Jinbei and Brook were captains of actual crews filled with people older than 10.

Robin probably has it, but only when historic artifacts or knowledge is in peril.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

God Ussop has Divine Haki, a level above mere Conquerer's Haki

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gyges posted:

Jinbei and Brook were captains of actual crews filled with people older than 10.

Robin probably has it, but only when historic artifacts or knowledge is in peril.

Jinbei and Brook only became captains when their original captains past the mantle to them as they were dying though, that wasn't their own ambition to lead.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ace has conquerors and he was content playing third fiddle on the WB pirates.

I don't think leadership ambition is what its about.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ace has conquerors and he was content playing third fiddle on the WB pirates.

I don't think leadership ambition is what its about.

After he got his rear end beat 100 times trying to kill Whitebeard and lead on his own.

The ambition/will to conquer/lead doesn't mean you end up a leader.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Has Robin really only had two solo for real fights? Fat dude ducking with the ruins and Black Maria?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zoro also obviously not a captain and does not seem to care much about being a captain.

Just don't think wanting to be a "leader" is part of the makeup for Conquerors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Gyges posted:

Has Robin really only had two solo for real fights? Fat dude ducking with the ruins and Black Maria?

Depends on if you count the guy in Fishman Island.