Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Been waiting for this the entire thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Is this from 'Complete bathroom overhaul - a sad, builder-grade sack of tears' - I have this thread marked to read next. Just read the Hiking across America - Raisin awareness again, so good. I've missed good rear end threads.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

is there a chance you weren't around HCH three or four years ago and don't get the reference?

I have no idea what this is referencing

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Sevalar posted:

Is this from 'Complete bathroom overhaul - a sad, builder-grade sack of tears' - I have this thread marked to read next.

Yes. And when that one ends you have to go to the Interior Design thread to see the result and more joyous criticism - I think he posted the result around 2019.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

:vince:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

lmao

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Hadlock posted:

I have no idea what this is referencing

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464"
Gaze into the abyss

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Did beatmasterj ever post the toilet?

Have we seen a njan99 toilet?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

devicenull posted:

Are those engineered I beams that you cut the top off of?

This is the “Guys, I have a concern” of home improvement threads.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I started reading this last night, loving it already. Brb cutting down essential beams :mrwhite:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TheMightyHandful posted:

Have we seen a njan99 toilet?
It's going to be the toilet Randy buys in South Park.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Ready for the moss wall or floor or whatever the gently caress it was.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Sevalar posted:

I started reading this last night, loving it already. Brb cutting down essential beams :mrwhite:

This is where he posts the end result: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3819901&pagenumber=168&perpage=40#post492921243

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Looks like an ostentatious cross between a prison bathroom and The Red Room.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What females crave

:females:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

El Pollo Blanco posted:

He has the courage to show the toilet.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
when i've got a toilet, I'll show you the toilet.

ffs I've already shown you the poo poo's entire route to the open sea

LloydDobler posted:

Dude, find another route for your conduit, like poke through the wall and go around. Or double up the plasterboard, or put spacers under the ceiling joists and lower it 15-25mm if you have to. You really shouldn't notch a truss.

Will you probably be fine? Sure. Have we seen worse things on the internet? Yup. Is it bad practice due to any number of potential consequences? Absolutely.

yeah ok point taken

redirect

lol I'll send it around the top of the wall in the safe zone, eve though it doesnt need to be in a safe zone and snuzzle it up through the external wall without loving with the underside of the engineered truss. It's actually pretty straightforward in the end.

And tape it back up

Take your time and think

I'll tidy up the rough bits as and when

this tool is still wank

but

sexy.

doing some odd jobs, gonna need to use fireboard here

boshed in

Plant room door delivered! Some carpentry required but very cheap.

Especially compared to the other doors. Given they now look like this:

loving cant remember but 2 or 3k this cost

just coming apart. great

anyway big tidy up cos got plasterers and electricians in next week to quote/walk away

got a fair bit of wire left over

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are you going to sell all of that surplus wire on ebay.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

withak posted:

yeah. and take them under my wing, offer them my advice. or else.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

got a fair bit of wire left over

I think that means you aren't done yet.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

when i've got a toilet, I'll show you the toilet.

By the time you're done running electrics those blocks will have disintegrated

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm still impressed that someone had the chutzpah to sell epoxy sprayed sea foam as building materials.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
No, that stuff's great. You can stick flowers right into it and make a beautiful bouquet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

withak posted:

brb shorting copper futures

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hadlock posted:

brb shorting copper futures

gently caress that. I’m hiring a medium and getting in touch with Ea-Nasir right now. I’m shorting copper pasts.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Avoid hackers by turning your entire house into a Faraday cage

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
He just hasn't run for the sensors at the bottom of the piers yet.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
surely you get some sort of warranty on a 3k door

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gasmask posted:

Yeah I dunno I'll have a look. I just don't know what they could do even if they are prepared to do something? Like I think the fix is just paint it? As long as it isn't going to get worse.

I suspect they'll wash their hands of me though cos I refused to pay them to fit all the hinges and door furniture and install it, doing it myself. Including drilling a hole all the way through it to fit my control wire in it.

Also I guess I kept it in the carhole for like a year

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 22, 2023

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the world's strongest foundation needs the world's strongest door: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v34zHuW_uQ

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Gasmask posted:

For only double the price: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c31qtc4mcXA

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
You mention a sensor or something going through the door. You going full access control type stuff? If you have made that hole that might be a bit of a warranty issue.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Thanks for posting this!

I had custom French doors made for my heritage home, and this is what I wanted. Instead they beveled like an ogee into the joint faces of the rail and stile pieces and glued them. One of them already swung open in the wind and completely blew apart.
However, I did not pay £6000 for them.

I might try remaking them from scratch one day.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think I've exaggerated my door price. Like that thing where you are annoyed and every time you mention it you add 500 quid. So I think the pair, front and back door were 3.5 k for the pair. Completely reasonable.

But no warranty. Because I had them not deliver them fully put together.

Anyway heres my new heating plan. Its already wrong and incomplete but roughly accurate.

So heres normal operation

Heat pump is on, delivering heat to standard hot water tank, for provision of hot water to whatever taps. This is pressurised so probably gonna need a plumber to do it. Hot water delivered at mains pressure, as required by my shower/bath mixer units already installed.

Then house brain says OH NO, need heating in house (never happen cos of all my insulation and sellotaping up) so deliver heat to UFH instead

Also we might be in a situation where either hot water system says oh no I need hot water, or someone has already lit a fire in the woodburner. Here that system will take preference in supplying heat as its essentially free.

Or maybe not the hot water, the heating system. This is probably more likely? A winter situation.

Plus we have the reverse summer situation where its too hot in the house so we can run the heat pump in reverse and pump cold water round the underfloor "heating" to provide cooling.

The option I havent demonstrated here but which I do think is doable will be in situations like the below where my smart meter is telling me that actually the power grid is overloaded and wants to pay me to take energy!

See that overnight? Having that regardless of my needs. Now I can already pump that into hot water tank. But I fancy having the ability to steal that paid for energy overnight into my heat store so I can redeploy it into underfloor heating later on. issue is I need a pump and where to place it so it always works, might need a decoupler somewhere to prevent pumps loving each other over. Also not sure the perfect three way valves exist.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 23, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

and yes my expansion vessels will be left over pepsi cans.

and I have found a second hand heat pump on ebay, barely used.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I legit thought I was in the nuclear power thread for a couple seconds before my eyes focused. This thread loving delivers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Perfect valves are a myth.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

MrYenko posted:

I legit thought I was in the nuclear power thread for a couple seconds before my eyes focused. This thread loving delivers.

Are they the schematics for Hinkley Point C or is it 99s latest plan for his plumbing, heat sink, electrics etc etc.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

putting a big sign on the door of the plant room that says this is not a place of honor, no great deeds are comemmorated here etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Theres also some missing elements like there will inevitably be a straight up electric immersion heater in the hot water tank for emergencies.

But the plan is to have the system be smart enough to recognise a coming issue and like the google home in the kitchen or your phone says, light a fire at 5 o'clock tonight and I won't have to turn the immersion on, this will be cheaper for you.

Even more ideally the robot grass cutter/bin taker out robot has already been down to the log store and is (endearingly) bumping against the bifold doors with a backpack of logs and a smiley/burning face on it.