Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Considering the footprint of this L shaped monstrosity I am surprised you have not got in roof solar / solar heating / battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Berserker robomower smashing straight through the glass to unload a bunch of wet logs on your kitchen floor

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

99 explains the house layout to a panel of electricians

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Starbucks posted:

Considering the footprint of this L shaped monstrosity I am surprised you have not got in roof solar / solar heating / battery.

Change Order coming in

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
totally going to get a battery, solar is a scam, also the lady next door has planted trees to hide me which will shade all my roof.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

there's pretty cool underground heat storage options these days, might be interesting

heat is energy so you're basically building a big battery. trust me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I assume the historical society that insisted on rare mismatched roofing tiles would never countenance the horrors of modernity that are rooftop solar panels

anyway underground heat storage just requires thermal mass, and I know where NJAN99 has like thirty pillars of thermal mass driven into the ground, just run water pipes down each one right, how hard could it be

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Theres also some missing elements like there will inevitably be a straight up electric immersion heater in the hot water tank for emergencies.

But the plan is to have the system be smart enough to recognise a coming issue and like the google home in the kitchen or your phone says, light a fire at 5 o'clock tonight and I won't have to turn the immersion on, this will be cheaper for you.

Even more ideally the robot grass cutter/bin taker out robot has already been down to the log store and is (endearingly) bumping against the bifold doors with a backpack of logs and a smiley/burning face on it.

this feels extremely optimistic about the capabilities of "smart" home technology. like, "JEFF BEZOS SHOWS YOU HIS ZERO-EMISSIONS SMART HOUSE" on some light program/entertainment tonight poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

i'm sure NJAN99 will be coding his smart house himself, surely

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

or perhaps he'll hire a python programmer off ebay

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

or perhaps he'll hire a python programmer off ebay

Bargain.

Also,

what happened to middle guy?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They refactored him out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

what happened to middle guy?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mission: Impossible 8!

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
So this system will be able to recognize, isolate, and prioritize situations where you're running UFH in cooling mode but also taking a hot shower and drawing down your tank? That sounds cool but also like a bit of a headache to set up.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m glad “goon converts his bathroom into a loving DOOM level to enhance sex appeal” gets reposted every couple years. Cause I remember broad strokes like intentionally sabotaging the joists under his weird gravel tub but miss the finer details. The blood red shades :lol:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 24, 2023

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I can't wait for the electricity price arbitrage shenanigans featuring code bought from some bloke off ebay at a motorway services.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm really upset about the misaligned but identical tiles on the wall / floor.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Raised by Hamsters posted:

So this system will be able to recognize, isolate, and prioritize situations where you're running UFH in cooling mode but also taking a hot shower and drawing down your tank? That sounds cool but also like a bit of a headache to set up.
Yeah I was curious about this too. Seems like there's some functionality missing. Or a really big hot water tank.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

just coming apart. great

Eh it's just differential movement. Completely inevitable when you have a real wood panel in a real wood door. Caulk and paint it, no probs*.

*You might have to do it again at some point.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Docjowles posted:

I’m glad “goon converts his bathroom into a loving DOOM level to enhance sex appeal” gets reposted every couple years. Cause I remember broad strokes like intentionally sabotaging the joists under his weird gravel tub but miss the finer details. The blood red shades :lol:

bEamtesterJ

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah that's basically a design flaw. This style door:

was traditionally built with floating panels, like this:

The panels are the wide bits of wood that will expand and contract the most with moisture changes, and since they "float" e.g. are not nailed or screwed or glued in, they can do that without cracking the frame apart. They could still split the paint, but that was acceptable compared to destroying the door.

NNJAN99's door having all those vertical slats made of real wood basically guarantees that with moisture changes they're going to shift and separate, but the cracks will be way more visible because the pieces don't slot into each other, they're just like... adjacent.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 24, 2023

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

vanity slug posted:

There's literally no way to know where a tile will end up.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

How does one extract energy from an octopus, anyway?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Muir posted:

very carefully

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I guessing the main pump should go on the cold side between the two valves there.
The question will be if you ever want to run any of those modes at the same time.

Whats the controller for all this? Is it some sort of industrial PLC, or is this running off a raspberry pi.
Id probably do the same stuff as you (fan of the ethernets everywhere), and Id buy an ebay PLC with an HMI running Node Red so it can notify me and shut down if there are any goofy ebay valves that are not opening and my pump is deadheading into the heatpump.

However, I am a controls engineer by trade so take that what you may.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A housebrain programmed mostly by chatGPT acting as an interface between alexa and some binary slam valves.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Muir posted:

Overnight when it's cheapest.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

yeah that's basically a design flaw. This style door:

was traditionally built with floating panels, like this:

The panels are the wide bits of wood that will expand and contract the most with moisture changes, and since they "float" e.g. are not nailed or screwed or glued in, they can do that without cracking the frame apart. They could still split the paint, but that was acceptable compared to destroying the door.

NNJAN99's door having all those vertical slats made of real wood basically guarantees that with moisture changes they're going to shift and separate, but the cracks will be way more visible because the pieces don't slot into each other, they're just like... adjacent.

lol was just explaining frame and panel to an architect in my job where i talk to architects about millwork and casement.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

blindjoe posted:

Whats the controller for all this?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Leperflesh posted:

Nah it's likely that the panel will still be a panel, in that it'll be a separate piece of wood that'll sit into a rebate, i.e. the panel will slot into the stile - you shouldn't be able to ever see daylight through a door like that. I think it's partially that doors like that would more usually be internal and/or would be either oiled or unfinished. The parts would be oiled before the door was put together (or at least before the panel was put in - if it's a beaded/nailed panel rather than a built-in panel). If it's oiled before assembly and the panel swells/shrinks you won't notice it because the parts will just slide past each other. Often these days with painted finishes, the door is only painted after assembly, and that's when you see the cracking of the paint finish. It can also happen to some extent even if you do paint the components before assembly 'cause modern paints will sort of cause two contacting painted surfaces to stick together, and it can still look like poo poo if a panel and door parts move separately.

I've worked for a timber window/door manufacturer for ~18 years and it's basically just accepted that if you have a timber panel within a door you're gonna get some amount of differential movement between the pieces and have to do some refinishing. Also I was in charge of site visits for remedials for about 5 years so went out and saw tons of doors and windows etc. that had been installed anywhere from a few weeks to ~10 years (typically on the latter ones, our warrantees had run out but it was where the customer had e.g. bought some windows from us, then some years later also bought a conservatory).

Generally, from what I've seen, after a door has been installed and acclimatised to its surroundings for a while, they won't move much after that. Usually they settle down after going through their first winter>summer or summer>winter cycle.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

vanity slug posted:

Nobody can predict where the tiles will go

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheMightyHandful posted:

Nobody can predict where the tiles will go

-comments on a settled video

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

Nah it's likely that the panel will still be a panel, in that it'll be a separate piece of wood that'll sit into a rebate, i.e. the panel will slot into the stile - you shouldn't be able to ever see daylight through a door like that. I think it's partially that doors like that would more usually be internal and/or would be either oiled or unfinished. The parts would be oiled before the door was put together (or at least before the panel was put in - if it's a beaded/nailed panel rather than a built-in panel). If it's oiled before assembly and the panel swells/shrinks you won't notice it because the parts will just slide past each other. Often these days with painted finishes, the door is only painted after assembly, and that's when you see the cracking of the paint finish. It can also happen to some extent even if you do paint the components before assembly 'cause modern paints will sort of cause two contacting painted surfaces to stick together, and it can still look like poo poo if a panel and door parts move separately.

I've worked for a timber window/door manufacturer for ~18 years and it's basically just accepted that if you have a timber panel within a door you're gonna get some amount of differential movement between the pieces and have to do some refinishing. Also I was in charge of site visits for remedials for about 5 years so went out and saw tons of doors and windows etc. that had been installed anywhere from a few weeks to ~10 years (typically on the latter ones, our warrantees had run out but it was where the customer had e.g. bought some windows from us, then some years later also bought a conservatory).

Generally, from what I've seen, after a door has been installed and acclimatised to its surroundings for a while, they won't move much after that. Usually they settle down after going through their first winter>summer or summer>winter cycle.

That's good to know, that they're not just planks butted against each other, but the beauty of the floating panel is that the piece that expands and contracts does not actually press against adjacent pieces and while paint may split, there's no visible gap. It really looks like NJAN99's door has pieces that are flush and leave a visible dark gap when they contract after expanding. Even if it's not structurally unsound, I think that's poor design. Even if the gap gets painted after stabilizing it'd still be a visible gap unless you fill it with something.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've got more door issues.

So getting this cheap plant room door installed. They've smashed these nails in.

So I've tidied that up with some filler and sanding

Bought probably the wrong paint. And my compressor driven paint sprayer thing obviously wasn't cleaned out very well cos it looks poo poo

Also for whatever reason they didnt finish the door? Gotta cut these sticky out bits off?

Same with the frame that needs glueing together.

and paint the same, plus the drip guard thingy which also needs cutting to length. Of course I spray dust and poo poo all over each element thats just been painted as I paint the next one. Ideal.

Its a midget door, but necessarily I guess. I think it will all work out

What I don't get is the drip tray thing

that gets stuck on at the foot of the door. But at the bottom of the door there isnt, externally a horizontal member so its the two slightly proud side verticals with the inset verticals between. So the drip guard thing is going to not fit nicely against it, flexing and leaving gaps? WTF?

See the difference here between top and bottom of the door?

Anyway also tidied plantroom as tomorrow should finally be the day of electrician visit!

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Can you set up a camera to record the look on their face when they see that the first time for us? The thumbnail for that image looked like the scrap wire bin in a panel shop.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
He’ll probably tip off George Clarke

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just curious but why are you using what looks like Walmart store brand spray paint instead of exterior grade stain

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think I've exaggerated my door price. Like that thing where you are annoyed and every time you mention it you add 500 quid. So I think the pair, front and back door were 3.5 k for the pair. Completely reasonable.

But no warranty. Because I had them not deliver them fully put together.

Anyway heres my new heating plan. Its already wrong and incomplete but roughly accurate.

So heres normal operation

Heat pump is on, delivering heat to standard hot water tank, for provision of hot water to whatever taps. This is pressurised so probably gonna need a plumber to do it. Hot water delivered at mains pressure, as required by my shower/bath mixer units already installed.

Then house brain says OH NO, need heating in house (never happen cos of all my insulation and sellotaping up) so deliver heat to UFH instead

Also we might be in a situation where either hot water system says oh no I need hot water, or someone has already lit a fire in the woodburner. Here that system will take preference in supplying heat as its essentially free.

Or maybe not the hot water, the heating system. This is probably more likely? A winter situation.

Plus we have the reverse summer situation where its too hot in the house so we can run the heat pump in reverse and pump cold water round the underfloor "heating" to provide cooling.

The option I havent demonstrated here but which I do think is doable will be in situations like the below where my smart meter is telling me that actually the power grid is overloaded and wants to pay me to take energy!

See that overnight? Having that regardless of my needs. Now I can already pump that into hot water tank. But I fancy having the ability to steal that paid for energy overnight into my heat store so I can redeploy it into underfloor heating later on. issue is I need a pump and where to place it so it always works, might need a decoupler somewhere to prevent pumps loving each other over. Also not sure the perfect three way valves exist.
sorry can't zoom in close enough to tell but are these designs for a thorium reactor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Plus we have the reverse summer situation where its too hot in the house so we can run the heat pump in reverse and pump cold water round the underfloor "heating" to provide cooling.

The option I havent demonstrated here but which I do think is doable will be in situations like the below where my smart meter is telling me that actually the power grid is overloaded and wants to pay me to take energy!

Unless you've got a real firm grasp of indoor humidity and dewpoint, don't do this. Unless you want to make water in places it shouldn't be.