Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

SpeedFreek posted:

Can you set up a camera to record the look on their face when they see that the first time for us? The thumbnail for that image looked like the scrap wire bin in a panel shop.

Good news! All that wiring and the extra access points made hacking into his home security system easy. Here it is:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I assumed it would be more like

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Going to hire a team of cheap foreign workers to scour satellite imagery for the L house. There is enough copper in/on those walls/floor/ceiling for me to pay them nicely and still retire comfortably.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ratjaculation posted:

Going to hire a team of cheap foreign workers to scour satellite imagery for the L house. There is enough copper in/on those walls/floor/ceiling for me to pay them nicely and still retire comfortably.

He's posted hundreds of pictures and detailed descriptions and diagrams of the site. One of those autistic geoguessr pros could find it in under a minute

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
If you'd slowly rotate the house on its axis you could probably even generate all the electricity you need, with all that wire

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Amazing that posts can make it out of that L-shaped farraday cage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Future owners last journal entry.

He gazed up at the enormous house. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of wiring was hidden beneath the dark facade. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved his L-shaped house.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Fall of the House of L:
During the whole of a dull, dark, and soundless day in the autumn of the year, when the clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens, I had been passing alone, in a Tesla, through a singularly dreary tract of country; and at length found myself, as the shades of the evening drew on, within view of the melancholy House of L. I know not how it was - but, with the first glimpse of the building, a sense of insufferable gloom pervaded my spirit...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also for whatever reason they didnt finish the door? Gotta cut these sticky out bits off?

I can help you a little bit here. They're called "horns", and they're there to protect the door in transit and allow you to make it taller if you need to.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Same with the frame that needs glueing together.

The door lining always needs to be constructed to size on-site. Doesn't even need gluing, but usually the lining is fitted into the rough opening in a specific sequence to keep everything square and plumb, and then the door is planed to fit the lining.

An exception to this is when you buy the door with a lining pre-fitted, which from what I can tell is more common in north america than it is here.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What I don't get is the drip tray thing that gets stuck on at the foot of the door. But at the bottom of the door there isnt, externally a horizontal member so its the two slightly proud side verticals with the inset verticals between. So the drip guard thing is going to not fit nicely against it, flexing and leaving gaps? WTF?

My suspicion is that you'd place it under the bottom rail, between the horns, and then trim to that. Also are you 100% sure the door is the right way up? Also also, those diagonals aren't just for show, it's a key part of how doors distribute the weight. I'm not 100% on this but that might be an outswing right hand door in that orientation, if the same rules apply as do for glass doors.

Given you're saying it's a short door, is it possible it was cheap partly because you're expected to fit your own bottom rail to size for the door opening?

If you're doing much more carpentry I'd suggest picking up a copy of Manual of First and Second Fixing Carpentry (4th Edition). It's not perfect and is a bit snooty in that sort of old school tradesman way but it's been my go-to for all these things so far.

Edit: also when I went to grab it to get these photos, I literally found it on top of my copy of House of Leaves.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 26, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's an insane bit of door lore there. Can't help feeling some door guy 200 years ago delivered a half-finished door, bullshitted the customer that it's supposed to be that way, and everyone's run with it ever since

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It was a custom sized door built with matching pre machined frame and yeah it's to open outwards on the right as you look at it from the outside.

It's definitely the right way up from the drawings on their website and the layout of the diagonal cross bracing.

The drip tray just doesn't seem to make sense.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Leaving the horns until the very end on is pretty standard for paneled doors. The horizontal members are tenoned into the vertical, and leaving the horns on allows you to chop the mortises in the vertical member without the risk of breaking out the relatively fragile end piece.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Anyway heres my new heating plan. Its already wrong and incomplete but roughly accurate.

So heres normal operation

Heat pump is on, delivering heat to standard hot water tank, for provision of hot water to whatever taps. This is pressurised so probably gonna need a plumber to do it. Hot water delivered at mains pressure, as required by my shower/bath mixer units already installed.

You could simplify this by accepting that your hot water tank is already a heat store, and you don't really get much operational cost saving from having a second one? Set the heat pump to heat your tank in the middle of the night when the cost is negative. As you're totally unconcerned with efficiency you can have the tank temperature really high, like 70 degrees. If you set your tesla to charge at the same time, you'll pull around 11kW and earn 33p/hour.
If you've got the log burner running for your evening cocktail parties, that can boost the tank temperature a bit after it's dropped/been used during the day but you're not going to win a great deal from it.

There is a nuclear submarine's worth of additional plumbing to go around an unventilated tank as well, so you're definitely going to need a plumber.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The unvented heat store tank off the fire seems like a steam bomb waiting to go off but maybe I'm missing something

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Water tanks are heat stores and the bigger you make them (and better you insulate them) the better they will retain heat. There are setups in northern sweden that use firewood and water tanks of 10m3 that burn like once a week for their heating needs.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Just do what feels right for you, OP

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TheMightyHandful posted:

Just do what feels right for you, OP

OP has been doing this since, well, the OP. It’s the one thing you absolutely cannot fault him for.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

There is an argument for using a double coil in a solid thermal mass as your heat store, as that might be cheaper and safer. Or use a vented cylinder with a double coil, again cheaper and safer. Hell you could even run the immersion at night to pull down power.

Like this
https://www.gledhill.net/products/alternative-energy/torrent-stainless-sp-sol/

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

His Divine Shadow posted:

Water tanks are heat stores and the bigger you make them (and better you insulate them) the better they will retain heat. There are setups in northern sweden that use firewood and water tanks of 10m3 that burn like once a week for their heating needs.

I am aware of that, but an uncontrollable heat source, such as a fire, heating water in an unvented tank can lead to a big boom. The ones I'm familiar with are vented so once the water in the tank starts boiling steam can escape. I am probably reading the diagram wrong though

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The point of my comment was OP should just make the primary water tank as large as is needed and not use a secondary heat store. Wasn't actually a reply to your specific post.

Also with a heat pump it's not actually just a matter of bigger is better either, they are built in order to work most effectively with a certain run time, against a certain sized heat store (the house itself directly, or a tank). So you shouldn't oversize or undersize the heat pump and if it's ground loop you also need a borehole or underground loop of a suitable size for it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You just need to put a lot of heat in at the start to get the salt properly molten.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We know OP will be living alone so surely a single face-tracking IR heater should do it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

We know OP will be living alone so surely a single face-tracking IR heater should do it.

Like in Dune where they live in these big imposing dark mausoleums but they have individual light globes that just hover around with them

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

goatface posted:

You just need to put a lot of heat in at the start to get the salt properly molten.

Maybe it's time for op to scrap all of this and go to a pebble bed design.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

nonsense. none of this architecture is designed specifically for :females: so op can have up to 200 coinhabitants of any gender or sex of his choice

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

aniviron posted:

Maybe it's time for op to scrap all of this and go to a pebble bed design.

I'm sure he can find a retired AGR engineer to set up a pressurised CO2 system instead of all this troublesome water.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I am aware of that, but an uncontrollable heat source, such as a fire, heating water in an unvented tank can lead to a big boom. The ones I'm familiar with are vented so once the water in the tank starts boiling steam can escape. I am probably reading the diagram wrong though

There's an array of pressure relief valves on our unvented system that all pop off at 3 bar and drain to a common outlet pipe via a tundish. I'm meant to give the valves a twist once a year to make sure they don't seize.
Obviously NJAN is going to need that, then a whole parallel circuit with some remotely operated relief valves and an argon filled dump tank to catch the liquid sodium.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol all you guys are telling me to go back to my original heating plan! with the single large heat store. Catch up. This version is way better. Explanation? No I don't think so.

I'm trying to find the earlier diagrams I shared that nobody agreed with at the time! But my documentation system for this house build is the same as the thread and a bit haphazard

BUt seriously we can get back into that later. I must admit the realisation that I can crank money out of the power networks could possibly convince me back on to the original large heat store plan abandoned only because of concerns about COP.

Concerns about blowing things up, sorry my diagram doesnt reflect everything as I'm sort of lazy. Both pressure vessels will have over heat/pressure to drain valves, also the log burner also has its own built in overheat/pressure release valves and a cold water quencher loop that I didnt put on the diagram.

ANyway electrician has been!

We are go. He is prepared to sign this off!
Yes, it was a fun tour. He is a funny dude, but I think I always suspected that would be a requirement.

He says hes never seen anything like it and wouldn't look at my calculations I'd printed out. He said it was ridiculous, BUT he was an electrician and he understood it all. Not why, but it.

He praised my laminated sheets I'd stored in my junction boxes although didn't actually go and look at them.

He loled and asked how long it had taken and why I'd done it. My answer to both was mostly obfuscation.

There was only one moment where he literally had to sit down, which is lucky I hadn't installed the plasterboard yet, not because it covered all the electrics but because the pile of it gave him something to sit on when he couldn't contain himself anymore.

Nice lad.

But were good.

As I always suspected, I am an amazing electrician.

Anyway What have I been up to?

Need to finish the poo poo that goes through from the main house to the plant room so I can seal up that aperture. Last thing now is the condensate pipe from the MVHR

so wiggle that fucker through. Starts off in 32mm for no real reason, break down to 21.5 waste

Then back onto my new cheap easy to fit plant room door. EURGH

using my super expensive sauber kit to machine out hinge locations on frame. This is a bit like how everytime I ski on my old skiis that I bought when I was a uni and meant to get a computer but instead got the skiis it makes this a better purchase

I didn't really need Jaded's help earlier with the door carpentry but something he said made me check and yeah. they havent finished this door. They've left it so you can change the handedness of it. Dunno why I said the handedness of it when I clicked on custom door?

So now I need to nail in that diagonal member that they havent. I havent got the right nails and the right nails dont seem to exist. So I try ti hamer in the first nail and it doesn't go well

Can't get it in far enough, all hosed up so I get the grinder out and grind the gently caress out of the head of it such that I can put some wood filler across it to hide it

Then pre drill all the other necessary nails to secure the cross bracing to the vertical t of the premade ready to fit door I have apparently bought

So I can tap them in with a punch to allow them to be filled in

Whilst I get on with router drilling out the lock keeps

cheap locks in

Whatever this bit is called also in

ok, all good just got to get stuck in the plant room wall.

Then wally comes round from next door. Theres been more thefts in the area. Building site over the road hit last night. Eurgh

I think I'd rather not know. What to do?

So I put all the tools in the container which takes ages. and park the digger up against the doors so that they can't open. Leave the bucket across the access so no one can steal my pickup truck or saab.

And off to bed

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Whatever this bit is called also in

"Strike plate" I believe we'd call it here in America at least.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Your electrician has found his new "you won't believe this poo poo.." story for the rest of his nights at the pub.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I have questions about the file named "dig kill shed"

"He understood it all. Not why, but it." is one of the most wonderful phrases I've ever read :bravo: I am going to repurpose this for poo poo I come across in IT/software where I understand on a literal level what was done but cannot begin to comprehend why it was done.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Have you seen the youtube channel programmers are also human? It captures IT very well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Have you seen the youtube channel programmers are also human? It captures IT very well.

I had not but lol this is good. The videos start to drag, they could be half as long and make the same point but it's still funny

java script: at least you know it's bad. God drat this one was real long but worth it :discourse:

C++: you must treat the compiler as the enemy :hmmyes:

Java: they played this one too straight, this is just the literal Java experience and everyone accepts it. I did appreciate "Kotlin! We don't use Kotlin"

The security one being 2x long as anything else checks out

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The Emacs one was my favorite

e: Also the guy using the internet for the first time since the 90s

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 28, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'll stop derailing the thread after this but god drat this guy has a knack for capturing personalities. I work with the EMACS guy. He doesn't literally use EMACS. But every time I talk to him I have to hear about some new script he's added to his ZSH profile and if I just follow these 800 steps I too could save 3 keystrokes on some operation I run once a year.

On topic: I am still waiting for answers regarding the "kill shed" file

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Docjowles posted:

On topic: I am still waiting for answers regarding the "kill shed" file

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

cheap locks in

I understand this is a low security application but I didn't know that they even still made warded locks. Is it actually cheaper than a cheap pin-tumbler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Fidelitious posted:

I understand this is a low security application but I didn't know that they even still made warded locks. Is it actually cheaper than a cheap pin-tumbler?

Ebay