Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
A quick google suggest a plasterer should maybe achieve 15sqm a day, which doesn't sound like a lot. I've got around 625msq of wall and ceiling to plaster. Obviously some of it is harder and fiddlier than other bits of it, but that gives like 42 man days of work, so 4 of them should do it in 2 weeks ish. Who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

maybe it takes longer when the plaster will have to be load bearing

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get the local technical college students in to do it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

maybe it takes longer when the plaster will have to be load bearing

Well er... yeah it will do I guess. I'm not letting them do dot and dab plasterboard on the walls because I don't like it. Going to plaster the blocks directly which requires a relatively thick parge coat layer first before the final plaster layer. Also in a few places, like under windows where the blocks are prone to cracks I discussed with him putting in some metal mesh to tie it together a bit to try and stop the cracking coming through in the final plaster finish. Same on the long walls where I don't think the brickies put in as many expansion joints as they should have.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh okay so they’re not just skimming board you’ve already put up, right. All bets are off then I reckon.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well er... yeah it will do I guess. I'm not letting them do dot and dab plasterboard on the walls because I don't like it. Going to plaster the blocks directly which requires a relatively thick parge coat layer first before the final plaster layer. Also in a few places, like under windows where the blocks are prone to cracks I discussed with him putting in some metal mesh to tie it together a bit to try and stop the cracking coming through in the final plaster finish. Same on the long walls where I don't think the brickies put in as many expansion joints as they should have.

Suddenly it all becomes clear.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now you've made it a hermetically sealed box, it's time to do the whole interior in horsehair lime.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wifi Toilet posted:

The Russians just used a faucet

:golfclap:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so i can turn it on remotely, perfect any temperature you want shower from anywhere in the world! I feel like I've explained this multiple times.

So what part of the system let's you take advantage of having turned on a shower on the other side of the house? Is there some sort of complicated series of tubes that lets you dump water on your guests yourself anywhere in the house? Does it double as a fire suppression system?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

EasilyConfused posted:

Is there some sort of complicated series of tubes that lets you dump water on your guests yourself anywhere in the house?
I knew it, he is recreating Noel’s House Party and this is the gunger

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Turn on the shower as you start heading there so you arrive just in time for the lukewarm water to be purged from the pipes?

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

How is your relationship with the neighbour and other villagers going? Any snide remarks from them about how long the house has been in progress?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cat Hatter posted:

Turn on the shower as you start heading there so you arrive just in time for the lukewarm water to be purged from the pipes?

I mean how long can that possibly take? I just turn on the shower, piss, and by the time I hop in the shower it's toasty.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah I never feel like this is a hard problem to solve.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean how long can that possibly take? I just turn on the shower, piss, and by the time I hop in the shower it's toasty.

Depends on how far you are from the water heater and how low flow your shower head is? It's not like it takes forever to walk across the house either.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nova69 posted:

How is your relationship with the neighbour and other villagers going? Any snide remarks from them about how long the house has been in progress?

The neighbours on the corner love me. Wally is in a bit of a state, been waiting for a new hip for like 18 months now. The electrician the quote I showed you earlier is from a lad they recommended. She took him to the circus when he was a nipper. The main problem I have is to keep a straight face when she tells me the story again for the 95th time.

Don't really interact with t'other neighbours much. which probably means they hate me.

heres the as mentioned electrician quote

So plan is to do all the other work myself for less and then just ask him for the 90quid sign off

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

I just turn on the shower, piss, and by the time I hop in the shower it's toasty.

you could combine a step here and save time

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So plan is to do all the other work myself for less and then just ask him for the 90quid sign off

good, keep the content coming

godspeed.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 30, 2023

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The neighbours on the corner love me. Wally is in a bit of a state, been waiting for a new hip for like 18 months now. The electrician the quote I showed you earlier is from a lad they recommended. She took him to the circus when he was a nipper. The main problem I have is to keep a straight face when she tells me the story again for the 95th time.

Don't really interact with t'other neighbours much. which probably means they hate me.

heres the as mentioned electrician quote

I can’t see an SPD there, though going by the length of time this has gone on it isn’t surprising it hasn’t been put in there as the regulations only came in September last year.

I still think you are building a gunge tank

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

The shower at my in-laws takes roughly 1000 years to get hot. But even so I’ve never thought “you know what this situation needs, the internet”. You can’t say it’s out of place in this house build, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

today I learned that in england, electrics involve "glands"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a very gland -based society

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Leperflesh posted:

today I learned that in england, electrics involve "glands"

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that did a double-take upon seeing "gland pack"

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What do we reckon, a nice 10x to the sign off price for not doing the work?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they haven't done it they need to examine it. I'd expect a half day of looking around at least.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Just pay him a cool 100

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

niethan posted:

Just pay him a cool 100

Yeah I reckon the extra tenner will help the sparky accept OP's test results instead of doing his own for £370+VAT.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

stoopiduk posted:

What do we reckon, a nice 10x to the sign off price for not doing the work?

Given the time it would take to inspect the L shaped faraday cage, that seems reasonable

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Our 100m^2 house took a team of 3 or 4 about 3 days to plaster, but that was all onto plasterboard or dot and dab the builders had already put in. We built a scaffold platform in the big room so they could reach the ceiling easier where it's like 4.5m off the ground.
It's cracked a little bit since it went on in Jan 2022, mainly where you'd expect structural flexing and the biggest ones are at the movement joints. Gonna leave it for another winter and then try to gunge them up.

I've spent the evening swearing at and loving up wiring an EV consumer unit for a piddly single phase 7kW charger. A bit in awe that you're going 3-phase. Still, explains why the DNO hasn't poo poo a brick.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

I've spent the evening swearing at and loving up wiring an EV consumer unit for a piddly single phase 7kW charger. A bit in awe that you're going 3-phase. Still, explains why the DNO hasn't poo poo a brick.

Get a tethered charger would be my advice. So much less hassle.

Yeah agreed to the electrician's quote so he'll be in start of next month. as in september.

Second plasterer came today, lovely chap seemed very knowledgeable and he pretty much straight away said no he can't do it lol.

For various reasons hes back to being a one man band and says he wouldn't take on mainly the loft space, but also the long walls in the great room and hallway, and also the vaulted room endwall would be problematic as he didn't think he could do it in one (forget the terminology he used) go or mix. Which would result in unsightly seams and blemishes in the finish as he tried to feather in joints in the plastering. Its exacerbated by plastering directly onto the moisture sucking thermolite blocks rather than plasterboard as the plaster will stay workable for a shorter time.

He says we need a team of people to get it done right and he can't offer that right now. Its a shame cos he obviously knows his stuff and is honest and takes enough pride in his work to not take on something he doesnt feel like he could deliver to his standards.

He chatted a bit about loads of stuff and how to paint it and other poo poo. Says he would charge 170 a day and that any decent plasterer would be 150plus a day. His time estimates seemed to tally with what the other guy said. So at his rates a reasonable quote from the other guy will likely be around 13.5k.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the great room

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah thats what i call it now

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Did you see if he had any recommendations for other crews that would be able to do the work?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
[L]earn to plaster

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Does it have to be plastered? Couldn't you just paint the walls?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darkest Auer posted:

Does it have to be plastered? Couldn't you just paint the walls?

:chloe:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Wallpaper!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The plaster is necessary for the structural rigidity of the house, we've all seen what the blocks are like. Wallpaper might do it, but you'd need a few layers.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
At all times keep a few calendars pinned to various walls so as to prevent fall-apart.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Make sure before you put plasterboard up you put a QR code that links to this thread hidden somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Starbucks posted:

Make sure before you put plasterboard up you put a QR code that links to this thread hidden somewhere.

Plant the lawn with squares of contrasting plants so the QR is visible from space