Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I don't understand the obsession with no plasterboard. You could board it out yourself and then save thousands, and potentially skim some rooms yourself. I would be thinking about getting the big boys in to do the hard bits like ceilings and great hall, then skimming the walls in bedrooms yourself.

Do you not like fixing into plasterboard? Because the plasterboard would give you more structural integrity than what you have now. Hell you could batten the walls and screw board on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Dot and dab, is poo poo.

With a parge coat and final skin of plaster you can get an airtight finish on the wall rather than the drafty bodge that is a dot and dab plasterboard wall.

I think that plastering onto the blocks directly will result in less loss of room to wall thickness and give a firmer, comfortingly slapable internal wall.

Battening out the wall has much the same drawbacks plus the issue of fixing battens to these blocks.

Me skimming any thing will look poo poo. Especially like when I've got led profiles cascading light down the pock marked battlefield of a wall I would be able to achieve.

Plastering is poo poo. We should have something else to finish off the insides of houses with, but it seems like at every stage of building a house you end up with a bunch of dodgy poo poo so you keep the plastering at the end to literally plaster over the cracks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Then you put skirting board on to cover up how poo poo that also is.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I did all the drywall mudding or plastering in my house and so far nothing has cracked. Drywall screwed into place by the builders then I did the mudding & sanding. Man I hated sanding! I wasn't good enough to skip that step unfortunately.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've done it before, and yeah lots of sanding involved then you stand back when it's all finished and painted with the sun or a down light on it. And it looks poo poo.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

A damp sponge (one of the big ones you get at home depot) is infinitely better than sanding

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Plastering is poo poo. We should have something else to finish off the insides of houses with,

We do.
wood

concrete

brick steel and glass

all of these are expensive, the hard surfaces echo more, and of course it's helpful to plan from the beginning. But we use plaster (or for us americans, drywall) because it's cheap, fire resistant, takes paint easily, relatively easy to repair, and did I mention cheap?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think this would be nice to put on the walls.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You do get old houses with leather covered walls. Tanning a bunch of human faces and sewing them together as a wall covering would be one hell of a thread.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm sure this was covered months ago buy why the obsession about the house being airtight?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Climate control.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh yeah also

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've done it before, and yeah lots of sanding involved then you stand back when it's all finished and painted with the sun or a down light on it. And it looks poo poo.

this is why you put furniture and pictures and lamps and stuff against the wall, to hide the fact that your massive slab of plastered wall isn't uniform and perfect. People also apply texture which helps with that too.

Dysgenesis posted:

I'm sure this was covered months ago buy why the obsession about the house being airtight?

It makes a lot of sense to spend an extra year of effort and a hundred thousand quids making the house maximum airtight insulated etc. to save $18/mo on energy costs

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And the ability to flood it with anaesthetic gas to hold a dinner party hostage.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I already have the ability to hold a dinner party hostage with the release of gas.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh I get it now, NJAN99 is gonna do a Glass Onion dinner

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Arrath posted:

Each guest receives a mysterious invite inscribed on a chess piece - a Knight, naturally

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Leperflesh posted:

oh yeah also

this is why you put furniture and pictures and lamps and stuff against the wall, to hide the fact that your massive slab of plastered wall isn't uniform and perfect. People also apply texture which helps with that too.

It makes a lot of sense to spend an extra year of effort and a hundred thousand quids making the house maximum airtight insulated etc. to save $18/mo on energy costs

Ah OK. I assumed it was to suffocate house guests.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Arrath posted:

I think we all deserve to come to the house warming party.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dysgenesis posted:

And then we will all go check to make sure that the plant room contains at least one (1) plant. Plastic if necessary.

Docjowles posted:

The shower at my in-laws takes roughly 1000 years to get hot.
The one thing my previous Gary did absolutely right was that when he added a half-bath to the upstairs it had an on-demand water heater under the sink. You can wash your hands without waiting 20 minutes.

NJAN99, are you sure it makes sense to plaster a surface that is going to do its best to absorb the plaster? It seems like a lot of additional work.

Another two things you can cover walls with: (1) tapestries (2) silk brocade glued to the walls. Add a little pre-modern flair.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Aphex- posted:

I think this would be nice to put on the walls.

But getting a bunch of screaming tormented souls to use would be expensive unless you had some sort of borehole deep into the depths of the hell to source them from...

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dysgenesis posted:

I don't think most of you have been that bad?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Dysgenesis posted:

NBC Protection- Nuclear, Biological, Chemical

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBRN_defense

It's standard on modern main battle tanks and it makes sense that when assembling a bunker like this it's a foremost concern, the ability to keep operating while surrounded by radiation, noxious gas &c.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think most of you have been that bad?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

THE thousand injuries of goons I had borne as I best could, but when they ventured upon insult I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my L, will not suppose, however, that gave utterance to a threat.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Vim Fuego posted:

NBC Protection- Nuclear, Biological, Chemical

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBRN_defense

It's standard on modern main battle tanks and it makes sense that when assembling a bunker like this it's a foremost concern, the ability to keep operating while surrounded by radiation, noxious gas &c.

Yes but it's also standard to run a positive pressure environment in these vehicles & bunkers to make sure that not only does no unfiltered air get in, but plenty gets pushed out. I don't think that's a feature on the L. Unrelated question, but is radon gas a problem in the UK?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

aniviron posted:

Unrelated question, but is radon gas a problem in the UK?

Forget about the UK, what's the radon situation in the bedrock mole person realm that the piles pierced?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Radon is a thing but I wasn't considered to be in a problematic radon area. But I also didn't tell them what I planned/ended up doing.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

aniviron posted:

Yes but it's also standard to run a positive pressure environment in these vehicles & bunkers to make sure that not only does no unfiltered air get in, but plenty gets pushed out. I don't think that's a feature on the L. Unrelated question, but is radon gas a problem in the UK?

I wouldn't call it a problem but it's something that's checked for. (Especially in my area where everything is built over mines)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Arsenic Lupin posted:

NJAN99, are you sure it makes sense to plaster a surface that is going to do its best to absorb the plaster? It seems like a lot of additional work.

By infusing his porous brick with plaster he can make them up to 80% more like bricks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's only a problem in certain areas and then mostly if you're digging down.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just spray the bricks with a layer of liquid rubber.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Cornwall and Aberdeen are the two biggest rado hotspots iirc due to the granite.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You could do padded walls.

Or cover them in acoustic foam.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

goatface posted:

Just spray the bricks with a layer of liquid rubber.

To replace the plaster, mitigate radon, or both?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I am going to do an urbex style youtube vid about the upper case l house

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Could you spray the terrible bricks with a concrete sealer, so they don't suck in as much moisture?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Parge coat basically is concrete sealer, just done with plaster rather than other chemistry. You can see the marks where they've used some sort of spray gun wall rake thing.

Doing this and about a million loving miles of expensive tape got us to an air change rate of 3.2m3/m2/hr, before we put dot&dab on top. It's worth testing before you put your final aesthetic layer on because it's a lot easier to troubleshoot. I suppose that is another advantage of doing two layers rather than one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cover all the walls with interlocking wood panels like it's 1972.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

Parge coat basically is concrete sealer, just done with plaster rather than other chemistry. You can see the marks where they've used some sort of spray gun wall rake thing.

Doing this and about a million loving miles of expensive tape got us to an air change rate of 3.2m3/m2/hr, before we put dot&dab on top. It's worth testing before you put your final aesthetic layer on because it's a lot easier to troubleshoot. I suppose that is another advantage of doing two layers rather than one.

hmmm so you;ve done airtight taping around windows to the parge coat?

rather than under it

what cavity closing situation were you having?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

just nailgun shag carpet up and down the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dysgenesis posted:

The house warming party is when 99 burns it down for the insurance, right?