Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

That's what I was thinking, they might want to introduce her earlier and maybe expand her role a bit. She's always just kind of there as she has an important job at the very end, but Egwene has to escape and maybe she gets help with that.

On my recent reread of the books she was definitely the most prominent character of the back half of the series who I had no memory of existing. Introducing her earlier is sensible enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

She also steps to Lanfear on her own, which loving rules

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Killer robot posted:

On my recent reread of the books she was definitely the most prominent character of the back half of the series who I had no memory of existing. Introducing her earlier is sensible enough.

alivia is exactly the sort of character I would expect cut from an adaptation for this exact reason - you can always find a way to have an existing, more memorable/interesting character do something that needs doing for plot reasons

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shageletic posted:

rj definitely had a complex about being tall. Every other page is him describing his heroes heights.

Or...he liked to use it as a way to distinguish characters visually.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shageletic posted:

rj definitely had a complex about being tall. Every other page is him describing his heroes heights.

Which is weird because he was over 6'5" himself.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The complex is that all the coolest most special boys are all tall, like him.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pik_d posted:

the main character was originally basically him

then the war vet's adopted kid became the main character, and the that kid was split into three kids

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Shageletic posted:

It's kinda insane how much story there is in Lord of Chaos. Egwene and Gawayne, the Aes Sedai embassies, Rand dealing with Andor, Nyneave healing stilling, and that's like the first half of the book.

Feels like the least focused yet most jampacked book so far. Feels cool even a little chaotic (irony).

TSR - LOC is peak WoT

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Alivia is such a pointless character, no way she makes it into the show

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pik_d posted:

i mean

I'm 6'3" and I'm almost cool, so, yes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pik_d posted:

And then you have Moiraine, who arguably does more for the Light than anyone, who is pocket-sized

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And then you have Moiraine, who arguably does more for the Light than anyone, who is pocket-sized

That's one of the minor things that I'm mildly annoyed about the show getting wrong. Moiraine is too tall. But it's totally okay, because if you can get Rosamund Pike, you get Rosamund Pike dammit. It's totally worth the trade off.

Especially since she's killing it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Or...he liked to use it as a way to distinguish characters visually.

Eh...in my reread I'm constantly running into the thing that tallness = a character's presence/quality. Like "Mat wasn't as tall as an Aiel but at least he was tall for a Two Rivers man."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well that explains that.

Low key most fav moment for me regarding Mat in LoC is Mat, despite his annoyance at Egwene, being indignant that any Two Rivers woman would get treated badlyand making a big show of bowing to her. A really really sweet moment

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

All WoT characters are pretty. Like maybe an innkeeper and Tarmon are the only people described as ugly. It’s like a CW show in them books.

Man I just finished TDR and there was a character definitely described as not being hot as balls, I was gonna post about it but plum forgot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

One of the clan chiefs, I think?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Killer robot posted:

I assume she was introduced later in the books because Nynaeve spends most of the first half of the series as the strongest female channeler around bar maybe one or two Forsaken, and that's a defining trait for her, when she can channel, where Alivia only comes into things as Nynaeve is starting to become humbler in general and to move past her block. She acts as a slightly antagonistic character Nynaeve can't really connect with because she knows that Alivia will play a part in killing Rand as well as being stronger than her in the One Power and just generally acting in a way Nynaeve doesn't really understand. There are a couple of channelers more powerful than Nynaeve introduced around then, including a Sea Folk Wavemisteress; and Nynaeve gets frustrated with all of them if I recall.

Nynaeve can finally channel at will and it doesn't really matter as a source of ultimate standing because Egwene is coming into her own as Amyrlin, Elayne starts flexing her political power, including with other Aes Sedai and there are now multiple women stronger than her as at least temporary allies, so she can't even use the thing she's grown used to defining herself by, her strength in the One Power, as a way to take control.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 27, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rarity posted:

Alivia is such a pointless character, no way she makes it into the show

If they even get to the end just make it Moiraine or Nynaeve. That's actually touching.

E; Moiraine will help Rand die? oh no!

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The one thing Alivia wanted to do was gently caress up the Seanchan and she got to do 0 of that, huge waste.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder if Rand had a beer with Tam after the story ends

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arrath posted:

Man I just finished TDR and there was a character definitely described as not being hot as balls, I was gonna post about it but plum forgot.

Kadere prob

Man what an ending to that douche

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

aegof posted:

The one thing Alivia wanted to do was gently caress up the Seanchan and she got to do 0 of that, huge waste.

There's so many plot threads left dangling for a resolution to the conflict with the Seanchan that you can pretty much imagine anything happening to resolve everything:

1) Elaida and Moghedien are damane, and Moghedien has been released from one of these things before
2) Tuon basically will get collared at some point in this resolution, that's a thing that will indubitably happen to resolve her character's conflict
3) Crystal Throne will come into play
4) Sea folk will reassert their dominance over the oceans, with assist from the bowl

etc

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In my read of this LoC analysis that Im going through as I go thru my reread of the series there's this bit about the Rand and three women falling in love thing and I was struck by how much I agreed with it. And it helps explains at least partly why I feel a little uncomfortable about it.

quote:

Fated To Fall In Love just…complicates things. (Especially because…okay mini-rant time but Min has said that she’s seen the three of them falling hopelessly in love with him, but hasn’t seen him falling hopelessly in love with them. And yes okay that’s kind of what he seems to be doing, but what bothers me is that from his side of things it’s not absolutely certain and foretold, at least not according to any of the visions or dreams or prophecies that have been shown yet. So the guy gets three girls who have no choice at all but to fall in love with him, regardless of what he feels for them, whereas he isn’t trapped by fate to fall in love with them. If that makes sense. Especially because they all by now know that they’re drawn into this – and Aviendha at least has had even more confirmation of it from what she saw in Rhuidean – but he doesn’t have that, either, so for him it’s completely ‘natural’. They have to fall in love, whereas Rand gets to. Yes the endpoint may well be the same, and maybe there is some element of him being pulled into it by the Pattern or whatever, but it’s not shown that way and that actually really bothers me).

Maybe the show will have a better handle on it? But maybe that's being hopeful considering the first season.

It would be great that if a polyamory love story is going to be established, that it's built on actual interaction and growing trust and comfort, instead of the inevitable bolt of lightning from the sky thing from the books. That always felt a little off.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i forgot just how loving good like ALL of the great hunt is

rafe you better not leave out the crazy-rear end dinner scene

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Don't know when it got added, but there's a new scene at the end of episode 8 of the first season after the tidal wave, seems related to the dinner scene.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Lot of stuff in that bonus scene. Looks like maybe 7 seals, 7 forsaken? Suroth, an aes sedai, a sheinaran and Padan Fain at the darkfriend social, little girl seems to be in tinker garb? (probably clueing in non-book readers about Ingtar and Liandrin).

And also this

https://twitter.com/GradeKangusBeef/status/1686568446140510208?s=20

Something coming on August 8? Maybe another little teaser or casting, or maybe just telling folks to go rewatch episode 8 lmao

Hexel fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 2, 2023

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1686612011428311041?s=20

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I dunno weirdo tweeters, do you think one of the most important parts of the books will be introduced? Might need the creators own powers to deduce that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know the most unfilmable part of this series is “some yin-yang frisbees”

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

imo they should keep the manhole covers

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

What the people really wanna know is: was that our wotwednesday morsel or is there something else today? :doit:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
That was quite a weird scene. I like the dude playing Ishy though

Darkfriend daycare is needed

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Let’s go Amazon, put the dark friend social on YouTube, I can’t just pull up full wot episodes at work!!!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Were there 7 little statues of the forsaken in that one S1 scene? They've already cut Bal and Agi, so two more that won't end up existing in the show. Given that this scene implies it's a 1:1 broken seal to free forsaken, and some of the yin-yang seals are missing from the statues, I guess that points towards Mesaana being gone (since she'd have to be around already if she's going to participate in the coup at the white tower).

I kind of hope they don't do a strict 1:1 though, since it would make it feel like a series of boss fights.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

There were eight forsaken statues

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1686769114780495872?s=20

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

I kind of hope they don't do a strict 1:1 though, since it would make it feel like a series of boss fights

I think they've proven their willingness to not march through the plot in a linear fashion. I think they'll include the chosen with the most compelling storylines.

Ishy and Lanfear obviously. Gotta have Mog in there, Asmo, Rahvin, Sam, Semirhage and Demandred would be my choices.

gently caress, forget Graendal, ok cut Asmo :shrug:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It'd be awesome if they did a flashback of each Forsaken and why they turned to the Shadow like at the beginning of each season. Id love that.

e: get the swishy Lost sound to signify it

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Hexel posted:

I think they've proven their willingness to not march through the plot in a linear fashion. I think they'll include the chosen with the most compelling storylines.

Ishy and Lanfear obviously. Gotta have Mog in there, Asmo, Rahvin, Sam, Semirhage and Demandred would be my choices.

gently caress, forget Graendal, ok cut Asmo :shrug:

I don't think we need all of Rahvin and Sammael and Demandred. They're basically copies of each other in different cities.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shageletic posted:

It'd be awesome if they did a flashback of each Forsaken and why they turned to the Shadow like at the beginning of each season. Id love that.

They're doing this whole 'every cold open is a flashback' thing so they could totally do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

pik_d posted:

I don't think we need all of Rahvin and Sammael and Demandred. They're basically copies of each other in different cities.

One would hope they would flesh them out a bit more and expand them like they did for Ishy and presumably they'll do for Lanfear.

I don't think they'll pass up on Rahvin's rapey domination vibe, Sam is basically the chief nemesis of the middle books until he gets wasted by Mashadar and you gotta have Demandred for TLB.