Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
At a pinch you could combine Sam and Rahv into one, Sammy doesn't do much up through book 5 so just have Rahv survive the Caemlyn attack and then pick up Sammy's material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rarity posted:

At a pinch you could combine Sam and Rahv into one, Sammy doesn't do much up through book 5 so just have Rahv survive the Caemlyn attack and then pick up Sammy's material

Yeah, those two make the most sense to combine for me. They have the same exact plan in two different nations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

idk maybe it isn't even anything but this is the image that's making people speculate about numbers and which forsaken

https://twitter.com/taveren_tavern/status/1686784098805727239?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

Hexel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 2, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's clearly a baseball

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
They can definitely cut a significant number of the forsaken without impacting the plot in any serious way. They are mostly very rubbish antagonists. Hopefully they keep most of the female ones though, they actually had distinct personalities.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Data Graham posted:

That's clearly a baseball

Maybe that rumored cameo of Shohei Ohtani is true.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

El Grillo posted:

They can definitely cut a significant number of the forsaken without impacting the plot in any serious way. They are mostly very rubbish antagonists. Hopefully they keep most of the female ones though, they actually had distinct personalities.

There's a part of me sad that TV only viewers won't get to experience Be'lol.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Hexel posted:

I think they've proven their willingness to not march through the plot in a linear fashion. I think they'll include the chosen with the most compelling storylines.

Ishy and Lanfear obviously. Gotta have Mog in there, Asmo, Rahvin, Sam, Semirhage and Demandred would be my choices.

gently caress, forget Graendal, ok cut Asmo :shrug:

Could be that Ishamael is just not in the 8 and is above them, so he isn't one of the ones featured there.

Ishamael, Lanfear, Mog, Asmodean, Rahvin, Graendal, Sammael, Semirhage, and Demandred would be my choices to keep if you have to cut a few.

They're all different enough from one another and have very important roles in character development (although Demandred and Sammael are the most similar).

pik_d posted:

There's a part of me sad that TV only viewers won't get to experience Be'lol.

Same. I love Moiraine coming in from out of nowhere and ganking Be'lal but he'd be the first to go if I had to cut anybody.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Skyl3lazer posted:

Were there 7 little statues of the forsaken in that one S1 scene? They've already cut Bal and Agi, so two more that won't end up existing in the show. Given that this scene implies it's a 1:1 broken seal to free forsaken, and some of the yin-yang seals are missing from the statues, I guess that points towards Mesaana being gone (since she'd have to be around already if she's going to participate in the coup at the white tower).

I kind of hope they don't do a strict 1:1 though, since it would make it feel like a series of boss fights.

they absolutely were like a series of boss fights

El Grillo posted:

agreed

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
They should cut balefire.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

new scene is pretty cool, the ishamael guy is excellent

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

balefire was made for tv shows! they should have extra balefire

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ChubbyChecker posted:

they should have extra balefire

Ok Rand.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

ChubbyChecker posted:

balefire was made for tv shows! they should have extra balefire

Bezos: WOULD YOU UNLEASH THE BALEFIRE IN MY SERVICE?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If it doesn't look good in the episodes, they'll balefire the VFX team that did balefire afterwards.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rafe is being given the opportunity the correct Jordan’s biggest mistake and bring back Taimandred

I hope he doesn’t squander it by doing something silly like combining him with Sammael

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hooplah posted:

Rafe is being given the opportunity the correct Jordan’s biggest mistake and bring back Taimandred

I hope he doesn’t squander it by doing something silly like combining him with Sammael

yeah, he should def make taimandred happen

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Hooplah posted:

Shut your mouth The Wyld is no joke maybe my favorite fiction villain ever, and the impact is partially because you spend so long thinking where the gently caress is he??? and then he's here and everyone is so hosed.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Hooplah posted:

Taimmael?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ishtaimmael

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
hear me out

Tamandred

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wonder if Harriet would even allow Taimandred if it was brought up.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pretty sure Harriet has zero editorial control over the show.

I hope Rand at the Eye in the show wasn’t supposed to be balefire. I always pictured the beams that come out the machines in the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Invalid Validation posted:

Harriet's no buzzkill.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hexel posted:

There were statements that Harriett visited the set last season, and Brandon and Maria did at least some degree of script review (though not on the last couple of episodes due to the forced rewrite schedules).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

I hope Rand at the Eye in the show wasn’t supposed to be balefire. I always pictured the beams that come out the machines in the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds.

Did you ever play ff8? The Weapons' Light Pillar looks pretty close.

https://youtu.be/MgmgO8HPsco

Jump to 5:20, and the sound being so unnatural reminds me of the balescream

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hexel posted:

No, but if she asked Rafe to not include that he'd probably consider it heavily.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

No, but if she asked Rafe to not include that he'd probably consider it heavily.

Right. Her and Sando and Maria review scripts and make suggestions but they have no veto power. Otherwise we’d never have had to experience the travesty of Laila Aybara :ohdear:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Invalid Validation posted:

She knows deep down it was Roberts true vision.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Did you ever play ff8? The Weapons' Light Pillar looks pretty close.

https://youtu.be/MgmgO8HPsco

Jump to 5:20, and the sound being so unnatural reminds me of the balescream

Yeah that’s pretty close. The Erebus doomsday from EVE Online is what I have in my head for balefire, especially Rand winding up at Natrin's Barrow.

https://youtu.be/2HuZg7M7-n8

Hexel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 2, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Shut your mouth The Wyld is no joke maybe my favorite fiction villain ever, and the impact is partially because you spend so long thinking where the gently caress is he??? and then he's here and everyone is so hosed.

Having not read the later books in a decade+, I’m sorry to say I remember Demandred similarly to Be’lal.

Though he did kill Gawyn, so is he even really a villain?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Honestly, my biggest hope for the show is they keep the Demandred reveal exactly as it was. It was my biggest, "Holy poo poo" moment of the entire series. Just boom, Shara out of loving nowhere, shifting the entire balance of power in the Last Battle.

It probably won't happen, because they'd have to hint at something in an early season that doesn't get paid off until the final one, and that's easier to do in a book than a show. Like, you have to at least set up Demandred a tiny bit for the pay off to work. What do you do, hire an actor for Demandred and then say, "Great, see you in several years for your actual role!" But a person can dream.

Maybe put him in a hood or something for the earlier scene. I just don't know if it would have the same impact.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The whole Demandred thing was a bit like Sanderson was reading Jordans notes, turned the page and it said "and then, Demandred came through a portal with a large Sharan army".

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I want balefire to be so bright it burns in my tv

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Hmmmm.... better take inspiration from Sunshine then

thrawn527 posted:

Honestly, my biggest hope for the show is they keep the Demandred reveal exactly as it was. It was my biggest, "Holy poo poo" moment of the entire series. Just boom, Shara out of loving nowhere, shifting the entire balance of power in the Last Battle.

Yup. It goes from tough but winnable to utter defeat as soon as that gateway opens. Don't deny me this.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

thrawn527 posted:

It probably won't happen, because they'd have to hint at something in an early season that doesn't get paid off until the final one, and that's easier to do in a book than a show. Like, you have to at least set up Demandred a tiny bit for the pay off to work. What do you do, hire an actor for Demandred and then say, "Great, see you in several years for your actual role!" But a person can dream.

Maybe put him in a hood or something for the earlier scene. I just don't know if it would have the same impact.

I'm hoping they keep Demandred to some cameos at the Are You Afraid of the Dark One Forsaken campfires and maybe some post credit scenes in the last season or so that hint at him being in Shara.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

thrawn527 posted:

Just means they need to do extra Forsaken Coffee Hours

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

If you're not blinking away afterimages, it's not bright enough.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Know what would make it weird and kind of fitting?

If it looked like a bright white laser and cast no shadow. Like it's not really part of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Demandred in coin armor is one of the things that has seared into my mind. That and him just constantly yelling for Rand while he’s loving off in a valcano.