Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Failed Imagineer posted:

Each guest receives a mysterious invite inscribed on a chess piece - a Knight, naturally

Heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Jaded Burnout posted:

The house warming party is when 99 burns it down for the insurance, right?

lol insurance

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gasmask posted:

lol insurance

Yeah as I was writing it I realised my folly. 99 is very much a “20k on plastering is fine but 20/mo is frivolous” type of person.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've got insurance!

In fact I'm on the second provider as the first one refused to renew it again, seemingly unbelieving that I'm still building.

Two more plasterers coming tomorrow. One is a lady, bit worried about doing an awkward sexism when saying there isn't a toilet but there is a big field with lots of bushes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Two more plasterers coming tomorrow. One is a lady, bit worried about doing an awkward sexism when saying there isn't a toilet but there is a big field with lots of bushes.

What happened to the workmen's shed with tea and coffee making facilities? Not unisex? Can you build another one by tomorrow?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I temped for a study that was sending radon detectors out to people across the country, it's mostly a problem when it rises through underground granite and seeps in via the foundations. Good thing your foundations don't go too dee- oh.

Also the study was hilaroius because a bunch of people wrote back and asked if detecting radon would affect the selling price / had to be declared on a survey, and then never heard from them again.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Ratjaculation posted:

you could combine a step here and save time
It's all pipes!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Jokes on you, the elaborate HVAC system and air tightness will allow 99 to isolate and oxygen deprive any fire, soon by automatic computer control. His house is a bunker, and nothing will destroy it. We will soon see how the elaborate foundation in fact is a smokescreen, and part of a system to suddenly rocket the house to safety by shooting it into the Earth's core.

Mind you, he will also use the vacuum system to deprive his guests of oxygen who had the audacity to make fun of his home.

Soon the neighbors will know the terror of the l shaped knob

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I bought a new level, seen already in other photos but it was pissing me off. When I built those bathroom boxing in bits I thought I had learnt not to build stand alone square carpentry and then whack it in as nothing will be level. Instead using the level to bespoke fit it. But then when I checked after it was still dogshit.

I blamed the level, my dad's old one. You can't even see the bubbles most of the time for all the poo poo on it but yeah I think its bubbles are drunk

Also some of the bathroom stuff was ordered and due for delivery like tomorrow (3 days ago). I wanted the toilets to figure out exactly the plumbing requirements behind the back to wall toilets. Also there was a bath on at half price! have that.

But I was just leaving site and noticed some stuff in the garage!?! Wtf is this? Its some bathroom stuff...

I was very confused, when and what is this? Have i forgotten something I've ordered? Has something been delivered for someone else? How did they get in?

Anyway I checked my security camera (unfortunately didnt save the shots and apparently my camera overwrites after like 48 hours) and it was my builder neighbour came in his working pickup truck (bastard) in the like 20 mins where I drove home to take a poo poo but left the gate open and dropped off some freebies for me!

I mean I don't think I can use any of it... without some severe plan changes...

So thats a 200quid basin!

700QUID TAP

eurgh

but I'm in a bungalow with already poured concrete floors... how can I use a 700QUID floor mounted tap?

Maybe fit in the ceiling and reverse the curve tap bit?

Next day receive my bath and shitters

Lol it was scheduled for 7am and I was like gently caress off will it come then. They were waiting at the gate at 5 mins to 7 lol.

all looks good, except...

Lol thats the popper plug in the bath! Bit kiddy. You'd think they'd mention that in the advert but didn't. Lol I think I like it. But I'm not sure what high end females would think.

Anyway. I've finally filled in the insulation link in between plantroom and the main house that I had temp power running through. Which is now a bit of a faff each day as have to plug in. But needed to happen.

Carrying on with the airtighness in the flat ceiling rooms

I decided why bother with any shower screen or privacy anything, just leave it like this and shower/change under these airtightness curtain cocoons.

This bedroom only has a middle big light. It's airtightness will be handled with an expensive icecream tub sellotaped to the top of the ceiling. Collected these up in Carlisle on way to a funeral in glasgow, almost missed it.

will get properly taped down.

Finishing plant room door bit off.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

hmmm so you;ve done airtight taping around windows to the parge coat?

rather than under it

what cavity closing situation were you having?

Windows went in after the parge coat went on, so we ended up taping in that order. You can get fleece backed airtight tape that's meant to allow a parge coat to bond well to it, so we could have taped the windows before parge coat.
Cavity closing is a marine ply box because we couldn't find a decent off-the-shelf cavity closer that would bear the load of the window.
There's a 20mm timber lath around the inside of the marine ply that the uPVC window frame sits within, so that it's not completely disappearing behind insulation, plasterboard and sill. We used some spare DPC membrane to cover the external side of the marine ply before adding the sill, the hope is that makes it last a bit longer.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
so you havent looked at the cooling system of your pikcup yet? did you blow the second engine?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Jokes on you, the elaborate HVAC system and air tightness will allow 99 to isolate and oxygen deprive any fire, soon by automatic computer control. His house is a bunker, and nothing will destroy it. We will soon see how the elaborate foundation in fact is a smokescreen, and part of a system to suddenly rocket the house to safety by shooting it into the Earth's core.

Mind you, he will also use the vacuum system to deprive his guests of oxygen who had the audacity to make fun of his home.

Soon the neighbors will know the terror of the l shaped knob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JABvRWBIII

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nice bathroom stuff is shockingly expensive from non-aliexpress brands. Like look at this, thermostatic mixer is £300 on sale and the dials don't even match the body!

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I have one by that brand, it isn’t as ostentatious however. Just plain old chrome.

I didn’t choose it though but does a good job of giving me a shower

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've turned to the opinion that everything looked nicer in the past. So if I where redoing my bathroom I'd look for vintage finnish Oras taps and mixers.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 3, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Starbucks posted:

I have one by that brand, it isn’t as ostentatious however. Just plain old chrome.

I didn’t choose it though but does a good job of giving me a shower

we have exactly that one, bathroom fittings had to be brass for decor reasons apparently. but getting everything in the matching brass colours (like the shower glass fittings) was incredibly expensive (you could tell the bathroom brands that did it were fancy because they had nudity in their brochures) so we went with hansgrohe and whatever the plumber picked for the glass. works perfectly as you say!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Post the nudey brochures

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Post the nudey brochures

I downloaded it and all i got was this

I don't even beleive thats a real shower head? looks fake

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

God I want to be that guy

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unless you have more water pressure than god, I would expect a shower head that size to be quite disappointing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

VelociBacon posted:

God I want to be that guy

Men want to be him, women want to shower with him

But yeah, I shower every day under a rain shower fed from an attic tank with about 3metres of height into an electric shower. The pressure is abysmal and it sucks, but at least I can tell myself I'm saving the planet as I dig leftover conditioner from my ear canal

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Look at this guy, showering every day.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I downloaded it and all i got was this

I don't even beleive thats a real shower head? looks fake

Looks like a tiny version of that chair Will Smith was sitting in in Men In Black. Maybe it was an alien Jacuzzi chair.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

goatface posted:

Unless you have more water pressure than god, I would expect a shower head that size to be quite disappointing.
For some reason the better shower heads seem to make low pressure feel better. The super low flow poo poo is worthless though, can't even wash shampoo out of my 1/2" long hair.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He has a tesla, pretty sure he fucks it.

How can he possibly gently caress a tesla? It doesn't even have a tailpipe? :colbert:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You gently caress the charging port

Also don't forget that a company made a dick sucking toy to be used with your Tesla and autopilot.

But it's 99, I don't think he'd want to risk the Chinese ebay version

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You gently caress the charging port

Also don't forget that a company made a dick sucking toy to be used with your Tesla and autopilot.

But it's 99, I don't think he'd want to risk the Chinese ebay version

He'll find a used one and then immediately blow out the motor.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

peanut posted:

Cover all the walls with interlocking wood panels like it's 1972.
Like this!

okay, this is actual knotty pine, but still.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lady plasterer didnt come, tomorrow now. Boy plasterer did. He had a nice van but I'm not otherwise sure. When he walked into the great room he said wow this will look great in my portfolio which is both a bit forward but also quite flattering.

Almost chopped my finger off with the plasterboard hoist. Its very useful but when you pull the release lever to lower it away from the ceiling if youve decided the board isnt quite right you absolutely have to have your other hand firmly on the wheel or it goes round a million miles an hour and yanks your finger off.

Spent loads of money today. Bought the cladding for outside. Gone for cedar off the internet in the end. Not canadian cedar, but british. Which has "more character". Meaning it is a lot shitter. But also a quarter of the price. I kind of (sorry canadians, pretend and otherwise) don't like the canadian cedar anyway? Certainly the image they have of it.

I mean they look completely loving different. dunno how thats supposed to be the same tree.

Didn't really do much today.

Had a play with airtightness solution for windows. So that plasterable tape from the window to the cavity closer, same again from the cavity closer to the blockwork and airtight plastic paint to cover the unplasterable bit of cavity closer and round the corner of the blocks to where there will be an airtight plaster finish whilst this return is probably non airtight boarded.

tape and gunk

Also, and I know theres going to be pushback here, but I'm 90% sure, waiting for confirmation, I've bought heat pump and water cylinder and all the gubbins on ebay. £1400. The tank alone is worth almost that, the heat pump 4k.

VVV Sorry my clipboard wasn't updated lol

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 3, 2023

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also, and I know theres going to be pushback here, but I'm 90% sure, waiting for confirmation, I've bought heat pump and water cylinder and all the gubbins on ebay. £1400. The tank alone is worth almost that, the heat pump 4k.
Has the seller provided video evidence that they work? Or, if never used, of the original receipt and warranty?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Shine on you crazy diamond

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yep bought it need to rent a van to go pick it all up in bristol.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Have you considered forgetting about the house and just starting a cheap builders logistics firm? "Yeah you need a <anything> that may or may not work for 20% of sticker price? Sure, give me 25 minutes on eBay."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Western Red Cedar is Thuja plicata, which is not a true cedar tree (genus Cedrus) but is named as such because the wood has that cedar smell and a reddish look to it as well as being soft and having similar working characteristics. Giving totally different trees the same name of their wood is a very common and longstanding practice in the lumber industry - the worst offender is "mahogany" but there's several other situations like this. WRC looks different colors in canada vs. britain because of different minerals in the soil and different growing conditions for the tree. How knotty the wood is is grade, which is or at least should be independent from the name and location of the wood: e.g. you'd pay more per board foot for "clear" planks than for knotty, cracked, warped, etc. planks of any species, normally. But maybe clear british western red cedar just isn't available for any price? Anyway it should be obvious why imported wood costs more than local stuff.

If you're doing cladding though, you probably don't give a poo poo about knots. They add character. But you should care about twisty boards that will be a ball ache to nail to the walls, and all boards cup or twist or both at least a little but if its bad you can wind up with a load of wood you can't really use. So I'd be very picky and specific and if you possibly can, visually inspect and choose your purchases rather than just order a load to arrive shipped to you that you have to pay for sight unseen.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 3, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm from the Canadian West and I personally de-knot each and every board that gets sent back from the colonies.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This seems relevant from the crappy construction thread

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Western Red Cedar is Thuja plicata, which is not a true cedar tree (genus Cedrus) but is named as such because the wood has that cedar smell and a reddish look to it as well as being soft and having similar working characteristics. Giving totally different trees the same name of their wood is a very common and longstanding practice in the lumber industry - the worst offender is "mahogany" but there's several other situations like this. WRC looks different colors in canada vs. britain because of different minerals in the soil and different growing conditions for the tree. How knotty the wood is is grade, which is or at least should be independent from the name and location of the wood: e.g. you'd pay more per board foot for "clear" planks than for knotty, cracked, warped, etc. planks of any species, normally. But maybe clear british western red cedar just isn't available for any price? Anyway it should be obvious why imported wood costs more than local stuff.

If you're doing cladding though, you probably don't give a poo poo about knots. They add character. But you should care about twisty boards that will be a ball ache to nail to the walls, and all boards cup or twist or both at least a little but if its bad you can wind up with a load of wood you can't really use. So I'd be very picky and specific and if you possibly can, visually inspect and choose your purchases rather than just order a load to arrive shipped to you that you have to pay for sight unseen.

Very interesting, thanks. Its a shame you didn't predict I would do this and tell me before I bought it though!

Yeah as you say they rate the canadian stuff on a sliding scale but the british stuff is just always knotty stuff so they don't even bother.

Its just going to turn up and I'll have to deal with it then. I've gone for the biggest thickest grade they offered to hopefully reduce how warpy twisty poo poo it will be.

I thought I already said this? but maybe not? I stopped in at the timber merchant other day in town and explained my setup/requirements.

They were confused really and said i was doing something weird. OK standard. They said a year ago, or just over they wold have recommended the obvious decent quality and priced cladding for me. Siberian Larch.

But theres, apparently, been a bit of an issue getting that since. So we can't buy it and the russians won't sell it to us, but they will sell it to China who will resell it to us. Either the extra faff and travel or just a gently caress you means its now 3 times the price. Lol

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That larch is what’s on my house right now. Maybe my lil stash of off cuts is like nazi gold.

I’ll probably never do wood cladding again. The maintenance is Sisyphean, unless you like the grey look (which people seem to).

Just bear in mind that neither specie will still look like that in 6 months to a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
As a Canadian who used a bunch of cedar in our backyard, I have rarely seen a cedar plank so red like that before. I swear they picked out the reddest one they could find for some reason.

It's much more common to have 'normal' looking planks in a wide variations of brown with red undertones, some are barely red at all.

In any case yeah, they're all going to be grey in a year anyhow unless you spent an annoying amount of time protecting them.