Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a lot of western anime-only fans I'm seeing who are kind of upset about Gear 5 being completely inescapable online, but I think that's just a result of One Piece's immense popularity in Japan meaning there's legitimately only a miniscule chance someone in that country wouldn't know about that reveal, so they're hyping it up as a big event everywhere... including here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Waffleman_ posted:

Lol is the world of One Piece actually a hollow earth

I've heard multiple people say that the one piece world is larger than earth. In order for that to be true and for it to have a similar gravity, yeah, it has to be hollow.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bluemillion posted:

I've heard multiple people say that the one piece world is larger than earth. In order for that to be true and for it to have a similar gravity, yeah, it has to be hollow.

At the same time I don't think physics really matters in the One Piece universe

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Based on zero evidence besides what I see and notice people in Japan don’t seem to care about spoilers at all

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This is another reason I read the manga - I don't have to wait months for the anime to catch up and potentially run into spoilers.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

hatty posted:

Based on zero evidence besides what I see and notice people in Japan don’t seem to care about spoilers at all

The extreme aversion to spoilers is pretty recent in America as well. In the olden days on these forums if you told someone who Nico Robin was and that she was on the crew no one would have bat an eye, but now a days everyone hates to hear about it because she was a former enemy and that makes it a spoiler.

Look at the movie trailers from the 70s and its basically the entire film cut down to 2 minutes including climax and everything lol

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There's also the well-studied effect that spoilers don't actually affect people's enjoyment of things, in practice. They think it does, but mostly they just get upset at the spoilers and then enjoy the product just fine.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think for some pieces of media it matters most. a "how do we get there" sort of thing is fine for 90% of stuff since like, the ending is generally not predictable. but with something like one piece oda is always throwing actual surprises into the mix and hes still introducing new major info every chapter.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Personally, I don't care much about spoilers for something I'm invested in and am going to read anyway, but if it's something I haven't started and am on the fence about, spoilers may make me just never care enough to start.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mdct posted:

There's also the well-studied effect that spoilers don't actually affect people's enjoyment of things, in practice. They think it does, but mostly they just get upset at the spoilers and then enjoy the product just fine.

this is a misinterpretation of that study fwiw, they were testing with media the subjects didn't have any prior exposure to which obviously you're going to care less about spoilers for

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

mdct posted:

I actually got interested in this series when I stumbled upon that fake gear 5 spoiler where Luffy inflates his head to become a genius. Except I thought it was actually the manga. So I was chugging through a thousand episodes, then the manga, wondering how the crew was going to react to smart Luffy. Then I catch up and get sideswiped by the real Gear 5.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bluemillion posted:

I actually got interested in this series when I stumbled upon that fake gear 5 spoiler where Luffy inflates his head to become a genius. Except I thought it was actually the manga.

TBF that was a really funny gag to make, that artist deserves props for that joke

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

egghead is gonna teach luffy gear 6 when he accidentally overoxygenates his brain trying to make his head look like egghead

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Meme Emulator posted:

The extreme aversion to spoilers is pretty recent in America as well. In the olden days on these forums if you told someone who Nico Robin was and that she was on the crew no one would have bat an eye, but now a days everyone hates to hear about it because she was a former enemy and that makes it a spoiler.

Look at the movie trailers from the 70s and its basically the entire film cut down to 2 minutes including climax and everything lol

It was standard practice to just publish a summary of every movie in the newspaper, alongside reviews. Heck, having a movie that had a twist ending was a marketing gimmick in the 60s.

Personally, I love spoiling myself on anything and everything. Unless it's like an actual mystery story, where part of the fun is trying to figure out who the culprit is, of course.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mdct posted:

April Wolf used to have an excellent podcast interviewing women involved in film about their favorite genre movies and the tagline about spoilers was "It isn't important what happens, but how it happens" and honestly that freed me from carrying too much about spoilers.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

April Wolf used to have an excellent podcast interviewing women involved in film about their favorite genre movies and the tagline about spoilers was "It isn't important what happens, but how it happens" and honestly that freed me from carrying too much about spoilers.
I hate spoilers because it means when I see a thing I end up thinking "oh, that's what they were talking about," and thinking about where I learned the spoilers, rather than being fully immersed in the media.

The surprise is beside the point, though it sucks to have surprises ruined. I just hate it when puzzle pieces come together and one of the most important pieces is "that thing someone said on the forums" rather than something from the story itself.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Spoilers don’t matter during the actual watching, but they really screw with the pleasure of anticipating and theorizing in-between. These chats we have after each chapter wouldn’t really work if we knew the real answers for sure.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I’m not sure if there was some kind of error on my phone or if I’m just an idiot, but the first time I read the chapter I somehow missed the last page and let’s just I was extremely confused when people were talking about the last page reveal.

anime was right posted:

also we are so getting luffy vs kizaru and the strawhats vs VAs, right? its gonna rock

When it lists out “Nine Vice Admirals + Admiral Kirazu“ and “Including Emperor Luffy his crew has 10 members“ almost back to back it’s telegraphing that super hard yeah.

Might be some 2-v-2s rather than all 1-v-1s but guessing opponents: (VA spread going from right to left, top to bottom)

1-Zoro
2-Nami
3-Usopp
4-Robin
5-Franky
6-Jinbei
7-Sanji
8-Chopper
9-Brook

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Luffy says no spoilers.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I offer the position that sailing to new islands and finding cool new stuff to enjoy and assholes to punch is a fun adventure in and of itself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

White Light posted:

This is practially a national event in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385AUjjLuSY

So unbelievably hype :hellyeah:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

White Light posted:

This is practially a national event in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385AUjjLuSY
I love One Piece man

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Luffy says no spoilers.

Luffy is a jackass who got his entire crew punched around the world, get dem spoilers

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
does OP really have "anime only" fans in japan or is that basically a western phenomenon? are there japanese people also mad at the insane marketing around Gear 5 because they only watch the show or is it just assumed if you like OP you read the manga

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Countblanc posted:

does OP really have "anime only" fans in japan or is that basically a western phenomenon? are there japanese people also mad at the insane marketing around Gear 5 because they only watch the show or is it just assumed if you like OP you read the manga

It's definitely mostly a western thing. Like yeah there's some people who watch the show but don't read the manga, but they're not gonna be getting angry about spoilers because it's on them for not reading the massively popular manga that's plastered everywhere around them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My understanding is that for the past year they've been seeing Gear 5 on the shelf as Shonen Jump's cover every now and then, on grocery store lines with the tankubons, and for the past half year on like bubblegum and gacha machines

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Spoilers about Ace's death are what convinced me to come back and read one piece again after a bit of a hiatus when I stopped reading due to a break in either the scans of the physical releases I was buying at the time, I can't recall which, that I just never picked back up. Reading about that was enough to make me go "Oh, poo poo, really?" and re-read the whole series to catch up. And like, huge events like Gear 5 are pretty hard, if not impossible, to avoid being spoiled for in general. But at the same time, if like I'd just been talking poo poo with someone in a completely unrelated conversation about like lawn care or something and someone barged in and shouted out the above spoiler just to be a dick I'd have been pretty annoyed by it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think Dragon Ball Z episode titles taught me that spoilers don’t matter

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

I think Dragon Ball Z episode titles taught me that spoilers don’t matter

A lot of animes put major spoilers in the episode titles (and the previews for said episodes) for that matter

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I'm a bit baffled that there are actually people who are still fans of the One Piece anime at all, lol.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
*nods* it's called a teaser

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I'm a bit baffled that there are actually people who are still fans of the One Piece anime at all, lol.

Some people like to watch Chopper scenes on loop for hours at a time.

Some people are the partners of those people.

Edit: she just about mutinied when I told her how long the Amazon Lily to Timeskip stretch was

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 3, 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

CommunityEdition posted:

Some people like to watch Chopper scenes on loop for hours at a time.

Some people are the partners of those people.

Edit: she just about mutinied when I told her how long the Amazon Lily to Timeskip stretch was

sever

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Some people just don’t like reading comics for whatever reason

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Countdown to Sanji letting York go free because he thinks she's cute

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

As he should

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

welcome bluemillion, I've been waiting for you for 15 years...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Imagine four oceans at the edge of a hole. Say a direct copy of the ocean nearest the hole is sent to the back of the line of oceans and takes the place of the first ocean. The formerly first ocean becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls into the hole. Sea levels works the same way.

FOUR BLUES OCEAN CUBE

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

He should. I can fix her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I generally don't like spoilers, so I was really annoyed when I started watching the show, and the Alabasta arc's anime opening showed Robin as a member of the crew like 50 episodes before she joins