Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can replace it if you want but it doesn't really matter. Potted soil gets "depleted" but that mostly just means the plant ate all the nutrients inside. you can just put the stuff back to replenish it via compost or fertilizer or both without repotting. repotting is really only necessary to prevent the plant from getting rootbound imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

You can replace it if you want but it doesn't really matter. Potted soil gets "depleted" but that mostly just means the plant ate all the nutrients inside. you can just put the stuff back to replenish it via compost or fertilizer or both without repotting. repotting is really only necessary to prevent the plant from getting rootbound imo

right, i didn't mean repotting i guess. just dumping out some of the soil and putting in new stuff. it's the black gold potting soil + fertilizer

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

actionjackson posted:

right, i didn't mean repotting i guess. just dumping out some of the soil and putting in new stuff. it's the black gold potting soil + fertilizer

nah, honestly the fungus means it's nice and nutrient rich

if it bugs you just scrape it off

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

nah, honestly the fungus means it's nice and nutrient rich

if it bugs you just scrape it off

ah ok. i thought the comment about mold and less moist meant i had overwatered and caused a problem

i just started noticing the yellow stuff coming out of the bottom of the pot a few months ago. before when it was all black nothing came out the bottom

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If possible you could also put the plant outside in sunlight and fresh air, which helped a lot when I saw that happening with my monstera. A few days did the trick.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Bottom watering also helps if that's an option.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

If possible you could also put the plant outside in sunlight and fresh air, which helped a lot when I saw that happening with my monstera. A few days did the trick.

yep, I had been doing that previously but we had a bad heat wave. i'll get started again once it cools down a bit

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Sarracenia doing well outside

This was it on the right a few months ago

And now after a steady diet of local wasps

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh wow.

Mine were doing much better outside....then we had the hailpocalypse a while back :negative:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Plants that eat wasps you say?

I happen to know a place full of wasps called "my drat back yard"

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

Plants that eat wasps you say?

I happen to know a place full of wasps called "my drat back yard"

Can really recommend sarracenia if you're looking for a low maintainence carniverous plant. They love sun and as long as they have a dish of rainwater to sit in they'll attract most flying insects.

This was me repotting them from the godawful glass pots they came in.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

And now after a steady diet of local wasps

That is one happy healthy plant.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Can really recommend sarracenia if you're looking for a low maintainence carniverous plant. They love sun and as long as they have a dish of rainwater to sit in they'll attract most flying insects.

huh, if I ever get grow lights set up in our main plant room, I might add one of these to the mix to get the latent gnats

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Do you have to use distilled water on them or are you using tap?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bagmonkey posted:

huh, if I ever get grow lights set up in our main plant room, I might add one of these to the mix to get the latent gnats

If you keep them indoors year-round you'll want to go with a tropical species rather than a sarracenia. They're temperate plants and need a seasonal dormant cycle.

Spikes32 posted:

Do you have to use distilled water on them or are you using tap?

Depends on your tap water. They need low ppm. My tap water is fine, but a lot of people have to use distilled or rain water.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My sundew is an excellent gnat catcher

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Also don't discount cheapass yellow flypaper squares

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If you keep them indoors year-round you'll want to go with a tropical species rather than a sarracenia. They're temperate plants and need a seasonal dormant cycle.

So would they work as a winter indoor/summer outdoor plant? Only problem is the front porch where I'd want to put it gets only part direct sun at best (old Craftsman porch)

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are these those hostas you guys are so crazy about?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Yes. Yes they are.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bagmonkey posted:

So would they work as a winter indoor/summer outdoor plant? Only problem is the front porch where I'd want to put it gets only part direct sun at best (old Craftsman porch)

People do that in places with extreme winters, yeah. They need full sun in the summer though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

My sundew is an excellent gnat catcher

They are the best at this imo. I use them to catch fungus gnats.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Agreed, im trying to root some cuttings to get an army of them. I've tried venus fly traps and the sundew really blows them out of the water. ive never tried pitcher plants because they always look kinda gross at the nursery

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

Also don't discount cheapass yellow flypaper squares

You know those gummy window clings you can get in various shapes for holidays and whatnot? Gnats and fruit flies (and probably other little flying bugs) love the white ones. Wait till it's collected a bunch, then rinse in water and reapply. I keep meaning to put one on our countertop compost pail.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

my drosera has flowered a couple times, which is also pretty

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I have one Cape Sundew and one Pinguicula. I use rainwater for both and they've done very well. Sundew is sphagnum moss double-potted and kept near-floating in rainwater all the time. Ping is in chick grit (crushed granite), also kept in a second pot near-floating all the time. I thought carnivorous plants would be difficult, but really they haven't been at all. They're just different from other plants, but if you stick to rain water and the unusual mediums, they seem pretty easy.

If you put a houseplant outside to help deal with mold on the soil, don't forget to prevent sunburn i.e. do NOT immediately put it in direct sun.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Folks who put container plants on grass - what do you put under the pots to prevent plants from rooting through the drain hole while still allowing the pot to drain? My figs and rosemary are currently on my driveway/patio, but that gets stupidly hot, and they're kind of getting in the way as I up-pot them into bigger containers.

Was thinking of putting a 12x12 paver down under each plant and then supporting the pot above that, but I worry a little about stability, and it doesn't really solve the drainage issue on its own.

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Real talk, I love pitcher plants and many of these were native in South Louisiana where I grew up. Also gently caress these wasps. But I'm trying to attract butterflies and bees, not lure them to their untimely demise in a real-life Sarlacc pit :v:

drat wasps, though. Ask me again after one eventually stings my kid.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Folks who put container plants on grass - what do you put under the pots to prevent plants from rooting through the drain hole while still allowing the pot to drain? My figs and rosemary are currently on my driveway/patio, but that gets stupidly hot, and they're kind of getting in the way as I up-pot them into bigger containers.

The person who just sold me a bunch of succulents cuts squares out of plastic screening and puts them over the pot hole before adding dirt.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Was thinking of putting a 12x12 paver down under each plant and then supporting the pot above that, but I worry a little about stability, and it doesn't really solve the drainage issue on its own.
Most plants wont grow roots into air, so if you just put them up on stilts (a few bricks?) of some sort they should be fine. Just an inch or two or space between the bottom of the pot and the top of the grass/mulch.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

I Am Not Spor posted:

Bonus tree question: best way to winterize young trees in a 7b climate that will get 1-2 foot winter storms. I bought a couple olive trees and planted them outside (gently caress you I can throw away my money how I want) and they can supposedly survive in zone 7 once established. Just gotta keep them alive for a few winters.

Spoke to the local garden center's plant guy. Wood frame and chicken wire; wrapped in plastic with holes cut on the east side to allow some oxygen transfer, then insulation, then leaves, then finally a burlap sack. Dude said ideally I should add a spout specifically to water it, which he does for his fig trees, but that adds a level of engineering I'm not willing to do. Will be back in 8 months with an update.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They are the best at this imo. I use them to catch fungus gnats.

That is a thing of beauty. The fungus knats have been terrible this year! I might have to try the window cling trick because I'm pretty sure they've sussed out the little yellow ones.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Speaking of carnivores, this bad boy is 7" tall

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Idk if I ever finished my jade story but now I have THREE healthy pots of jade instead of one big rear end lopsided guy

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The hostas are great and have pretty flower stalks. They're on the north side of the building and unfortunately are getting sun scalded even worse now.

The snow-on-the-mountain can go to hell, though. :argh:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

That Old Ganon posted:

The hostas are great and have pretty flower stalks. They're on the north side of the building and unfortunately are getting sun scalded even worse now.

The snow-on-the-mountain can go to hell, though. :argh:

sometimes the flowers are fragrant, too! depends on the variety and if they have h. plantaginea dna in them.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

My guacamole hosta is flowering right now and the flowers actually smell pretty nice!

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

Hi guys! I was wondering if you could help me identify a plant. It's a California native plant which we got at a giveaway. We know it's a big tree, but we just can't remember what it is. There are no stickers or identifying labels on the pot. I tried looking through the Tree Identification Guide at arborday.org but it asks for information we don't know (like if the leaves stay on all year) and doesn't give us intermediate results.

Hopefully one of you knows! Thank you!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

inaturalist is my favorite nature-identification overall, try that

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Yesterday the GF and I went to do some berry-picking and they also had a spectacular hosta garden. I didn't pick anything up because they were pretty pricey but I did try to take a picture of one of their planting areas.

I really wanted to see if they had an Empress Wu in situ so I could see how mine will look in a few years, but the biggest one I saw with a tag was Sum and Substance which is also a pretty chomky boi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't trust cherries not to have worms anymore.

Wait, what?