Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That's why we paint houses here. And other wooden things.

Though my pine tar solution does last for years without fading to grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'll just turn all the boards round in a year

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Edit: not worth it

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 4, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Why didn't you just buy a whole house on ebay and move it to your lot

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

why not install that £700 standing tap as your outside tap, in full view of the neighbour who gave it to you

needs more tubes

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 4, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Use it for your hottub.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Put the standing tap on the end of the line that feeds into the soakaway, right above the soakaway, and gravel over the top so it drains into it like some fancy foot wash station at the beach.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Very interesting, thanks. Its a shame you didn't predict I would do this and tell me before I bought it though!

Yeah as you say they rate the canadian stuff on a sliding scale but the british stuff is just always knotty stuff so they don't even bother.

Its just going to turn up and I'll have to deal with it then. I've gone for the biggest thickest grade they offered to hopefully reduce how warpy twisty poo poo it will be.

I thought I already said this? but maybe not? I stopped in at the timber merchant other day in town and explained my setup/requirements.

They were confused really and said i was doing something weird. OK standard. They said a year ago, or just over they wold have recommended the obvious decent quality and priced cladding for me. Siberian Larch.

But theres, apparently, been a bit of an issue getting that since. So we can't buy it and the russians won't sell it to us, but they will sell it to China who will resell it to us. Either the extra faff and travel or just a gently caress you means its now 3 times the price. Lol

Warpiness has to do with how the wood has been sawn, and how straight the tree was, and whether it had stresses during growth that get locked into the wood. Like if a tree is subject to a lot of wind it'll grow thicker rings on one side than the other, to help prop itself up, and then you slice across those rings and it twists. Also wood basically just will twist regardless sometimes.

What thicker stuff will get you though is being less prone to splitting when you drive a nail or screw through it. It'll also be heavier obviously. And they're more likely to be milling the thickest stuff from bigger more true trees so mayyybe you'll get less warpage. Really though if you want totally straight planks you get kiln-dried wood and pick through it for the straight bits and then don't cut those at all because any time you cut through the fibers in a plank of wood you may unlock the ghost of Chubby Checker.

Good luck!

Note: as an amateur wood butcher I have developed a sort of PTSD, as we all do, with regards to our chosen medium. Maybe it'll all be fine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The sheep dip pit everyone has to go through when they enter the property.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

goatface posted:

Use it for your hottub.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Don’t like the implications of that at all.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Got these ordered and fitted. Never heard the word before. ESCUTCHEONS. the key cover bits

Rented van

Little one, not had one with a tail lift type boot thing before. I've lost track of vans. This is allowed in the tip so took some stuff there. But I think its a lot smaller than previous vans, like the cabin is cramped as poo poo. Whatever. It has android auto which is quite cool to chuck my sat nav up on its screen. Never been able to do that in a rented van before. Although its kind of annoying that it keeps asking for a pin code but says I can't do it while moving and everytime I stopped it went away. Only to come back up when moving! wtf!

Guess where my new heat pump is?! Although I already said I think.

This fucker is incredibly heavy. Brother lives nearby so met up and helped collect. Lady selling it offered no help whatsoever in loading up. Just sat in her wheelchair.

Lots of lovely gubbins.

18p a mile though on the van over daily limit, probably 100 miles.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I'm now patiently waiting for skill builder to do an episode with 99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswTQJHTE6Q

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fidelitious posted:

As a Canadian who used a bunch of cedar in our backyard, I have rarely seen a cedar plank so red like that before.

Maybe it's from the red forest by Chernobyl! That'd be exotic.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
I've seen aromatic red cedar that shade, and maybe some heartwood of western red cedar?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

absolem posted:

I'm now patiently waiting for skill builder to do an episode with 99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswTQJHTE6Q

gently caress I should have looked at this earlier! Love Aiden, watch his stuff all the time, often nodding along in sympathy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol my google timeline

So home isnt site so it thinks I'm going to the pub next door to site like all the time

811 times.

I hope the guy that took on the lease didnt buy their data from google where there was a pisscan going to the pub twice a day for several hours every day for the last 2 years.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
They probably got warned that there's this green knob that wanders around the property and lives in a steel container in the back working on a cheese block hut. A caveat on the lease is not to talk to him or invite him in, and the damage he does to the restroom is on them.

Oh and that random cars may appear with engines half out, and anyone with a pacemaker is warned to never go near the back yard, because the miles of copper wiring have made the site into the new magnetic north pole.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It does have "accidental hellmouth" vibes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is this the UK equivalent of having a Camero up on blocks in the yard?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think the equivalent of that would be having an algae covered caravan with a flat tyre.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Probably a ford capri, same condition.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
It's a land rover with the engine block out, chocking one front wheel.

We've got larch cladding but it's the quick growing live fast die young UK stuff rather than the impassive and ancient boreal Siberian kind and oh boy is it unstable. It lifts out the nails and ticks like a timebomb when the sun comes round. Luckily we went for waney edge and that sort of ship-lapped shed aesthetic, so it seems deliberate.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

so you havent looked at the cooling system of your pikcup yet? did you blow the second engine?

sorry for not replying to this but I can't face the pickup.

it lies, a dormant folly

whilst I trundle round in my fiat panda with its roof rack

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A quick google suggest a plasterer should maybe achieve 15sqm a day, which doesn't sound like a lot. I've got around 625msq of wall and ceiling to plaster. Obviously some of it is harder and fiddlier than other bits of it, but that gives like 42 man days of work, so 4 of them should do it in 2 weeks ish. Who knows?

Skimming stuff isn't that hard. I was intimidated as gently caress when I had to fix a ceiling after a leak but I gave watched a bunch of vids on the old tubes by a guy called "Vancouver Carpenter" and cracked on.

Not gonna lie it was a ball-ache, particularly as: a) It was in a finished kitchen, so dust etc. were a real pain in the arse, and b) Because it was a ceiling as my first ever bit of plastering and that makes it harder since you want to get the right mud consistency so that it doesn't slop off but also isn't too thick/dry... but I managed it, and it would be much easier to do more, now I know what I'm doing a bit.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 9, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Skimming stuff isn't that hard. I was intimidated as gently caress when I had to fix a ceiling after a leak but I gave watched a bunch of vids on the old tubes by a guy called "Vancouver Carpenter" and cracked on.

Not gonna lie it was a ball-ache, particularly as: a) It was in a finished kitchen, so dust etc. were a real pain in the arse, and b) Because it was a ceiling as my first ever bit of plastering and that makes it harder since you want to get the right mud consistency so that it doesn't slop off but also isn't too thick/dry... but I managed it, and it would be much easier to do more, now I know what I'm doing a bit.

i will pay for your flights. but youre staying in the shipping container

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Had 5 plasterers in now, last one just earlier today.

He's pissed me off. Not his fault. I think all the airtightness tape I've used is the wrong tape, can't be plastered over. gently caress. None of the last 4 mentioned it.

I think I've misunderstood the passive house airtight website and now I think about it its obvious, once again, feeling incredibly dumb.

Got two quotes back so far. One quote is 12k for 4 guys for 4 weeks. Other is for one guy and his mate 5k and we'll see. hmmm....

I don't want either. I want the lady plasterer. She was just so much more a me person, no offence to the young lads but she was similar age to me and chatted about her 8 year house build with her engineer husband who actively hinders the progress and just totally more me. We'll see what her quote is. Also she brought her mum who stayed in the van but is presumably because going to weirdos half builds to quote for her is a bit... different.

Heres all the heatpump stuff... need to figure out whats what

Been carrying on with the airtighnessing.

You can see the offending tape

Bought some loft hatches so know what gap to leave

Tidying up the door electrics in some plastic er cover stuff

Same on front door

Trying to figure out what to do with my PIR things I want in various places around the house. Mostly in the ceilings, couple of walls. I don't want some bullshit off the shelt units that dont let me do it all myself so I've bought all the PIRs already. But I need a way to encapsulate them into the building.

Difficult to explain but plan is going to be to try to repurpose these conduit connectors. So I'll sink the connector into the wall/ceiling with a connector line in it. Then glue (?) my PIR onto the "nut". Connect it all up, push the connectors and wire into the "backbox" created by the connector and screw the PIR into it. job done!

I'll use a white version of the smaller one in the background I think. Need all these kind of things sorted and in place for plasterers

Got the toilets out, sitting on hopefully representative 12.5mm plasterboard offcuts to plan out behind boxing sewer runs.

Trying to line stuff up with the 250quids worth of bloody pipes I've bought...

Yeah. Nah. Unless I can convince poo poo to flow up hill, this is going to like leak

Need some short radius 90degree bends to see if that will work. Can't get them locally... and the place further afield shuts at 4:30 so now its tomorrow

Much better!

OK. But before we get carried away. Have I mentioned air tightness?

So the bathroom and ensuite toilet back boxes will house air admittance valves, the utility WC drains connect all the way up into an external soil pipe air exhaust (which presents its own difficulties). So the air admittance valves need... well, air. So I'm going to have to include the unplastered plumbing backboxes in the airtight envelope of their respective airtightness zones.

So foam, airtight tape and paint. No farts will escape my dark system.

Each toilet waste will have another input. Utility WC, 40mm washing machine (and utility basin) through the wall. Other bathrooms will collect a 32mm basin each.

So drilling holes in pipes. These are the sort of tasks that used to take me hours to figure out, gently caress up and trip to hospital. Not now

Also doubles as my nephew's minion costume for Halloween

lol

looks rough but does job. Hmmm... room for cistern?

yeah fine

Bathroom toilet, ready for air admittance valve that toolstation dint have until tomorrow tomorrow

Lol. En suite

Still doesnt work. Gotta go back tomorrow and change my 3rd short radius male female for a full short radius female female.

Jammed my little finger in the jigsaw messing in the loft, surprisingly almost no blood. Painful. Think it jammed in like the backdraw of the saw. so like slamming it in a door. But its ripped to bits the bloody jigsaw ffs

gently caress knows

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 9, 2023

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I hesitate to ask, but where the gently caress is the hole to flush your poo poo. I don't see a spot in the floor and I am getting concerns that you don't actually have one.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I think it's a fancy toilet that uses science or something to exit out the back instead of the bottom.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Wifi Toilet posted:

I think it's a fancy toilet that uses science or something to exit out the back instead of the bottom.

Hmm, for some reason I trust you on this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I did think about having a hole for poo poo to go down but I couldn't think what to call it. Plus it would compromise the airtightness so had to do without.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is that a mailbox for your toilet? Maybe Wifi Toilet can hook you up with e-mail.

UK plumbing codes let/expect you to just drill a hole in a sewer pipe and attach a fitting to it? The nanny state in the US would make you use a premade fitting that was either a T with a little diverter inside so upstream poo poo doesn't try to leave out the side or a Y fitting so upstream poo poo would have to go uphill to head towards your washing machine. They also frown (at least) on short radius fittings for a toilet.

Sorry to hear about you somehow breaking your saw by jamming your finger into the blade, but that's honestly as good as that could have went.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 10, 2023

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I don't think I've ever heard of a toilet in the us that doesn't have a hole at the bottom specifically to help with keeping poo gas from escaping but also to directly reject your poo poo into the sewer line. Hence my :psyduck:

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I did think about having a hole for poo poo to go down but I couldn't think what to call it. Plus it would compromise the airtightness so had to do without.

I don't understand all this talk of airtightness as it concerns your drains, especially for the toilet, no air is supposed to be exchanged! Are the vent stacks attached to these drains pulling air from inside the house for... reasons?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of a toilet in the us that doesn't have a hole at the bottom specifically to help with keeping poo gas from escaping but also to directly reject your poo poo into the sewer line. Hence my :psyduck:

Every wall mounted commercial toilet?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You know an outhouse would simplify things, no need for plumbling and holes in the walls and floor.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Elem7 posted:

I don't understand all this talk of airtightness as it concerns your drains, especially for the toilet, no air is supposed to be exchanged! Are the vent stacks attached to these drains pulling air from inside the house for... reasons?

He's using air admittance valves so he doesn't have to have as many vent stacks through the roofline. Now whether that's a good idea, who knows.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

You know an outhouse would simplify things, no need for plumbling and holes in the walls and floor.

I'm not sure a 3000 quid door on an airtight outhouse is in the budget

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

While I don’t quite buy into chasing this air seal you’re going for, I truly hope you don’t have to redo everything. Maybe you could tape over the tape with plasterable tape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I know the air-tight-ness is an important part of the Passivhaus standard. My apartment is pretty airtight, to the point there's a decent amount of pressure on the front door if you run the kitchen extractor fan. It pops open when you turn the handle.

Compared to the draughty flats I lived in in London it's fantastic. Due to builder fuckups we didn't actually have any heating initially and it was not really noticeable, until midwinter I guess when it got down to 19°C in the apartment.