Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ThaumPenguin posted:

Bet we're getting boats in TESVI

wait a minute. You had moving ships in skyrim (for one cinematic intro)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

it crashed a lot more often for me but I got to be a cowboy with a laser rifle which was a cooler concept than anything in fallout 3.

Lol the rifles in Outer worlds are basically copy pasted from New Vegas because they didn't have a high accuracy slow rate of fire weapon yet when a NV dev play tested it

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

wait a minute. You had moving ships in skyrim (for one cinematic intro)

I'm just thinking the starship mechanics could probably be modified to work on water

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I assume they use indirect functions to enable vector processing on CPUs that support it,

Lol no they don't. The problem with dispatching to different implementations is that it increases testing and validation load. Because this costs game devs a lot more than running a little faster on newest hardware (which would also pretty much by definition be the fastest hardware, that is, the one that least needs the boost), very few people in the industry use anything like it.

The most common way games work is that they pick a minimum supported CPU, compile the game for that, and any features more new than that don't get used. Some devs that are interested in this stuff ship multiple binaries.

This is why Intel segmenting the market based on ISA is so terrible -- AVX512 isn't really going to be used for anything until the low-end has had it for about a decade. Which is never now, given they are doing AVX10 (which is AVX512, but 256 bit).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Illusive Man posted:

Maybe it’s me, but I thought this was confirmed back in June.

Anyway just to check, ‘Play Anywhere’ means cross-buy as well as cross-save, right?

Yep!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Sweet, thanks!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I can't wait to be Todd Howard's bitch

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

HOWAR *game crashes and takes my brand new computer with it*

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Aphex- posted:

Buddy, I've been playing beth games since Morrowind, taking a detour from the main storyline is the first thing I do.

I’ve been playing since daggerfall and I don’t even remember what the main story is for that because I never did it. Too busy murdering guards by the hundreds and filling up a cart with their armor and selling it in the next region over.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

I’ve been playing since daggerfall and I don’t even remember what the main story is for that because I never did it. Too busy murdering guards by the hundreds and filling up a cart with their armor and selling it in the next region over.

Who gets the keys to a giant magic mech. (Everyone because Time is Convoluted)

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

The main story is about those remnants of the oblivion portals that you can find in the open cities. They connect to something called the Arthmoor where you will fight the final boss

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Who gets the keys to a giant magic mech. (Everyone because Time is Convoluted)

It'd be less convoluted if people would stop breaking it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Pinch of salt here but there might be a pre-load starting as early as this Weds?

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1688142890508173312

Seems really loving early, I imagine it's more likely some editorial mistake on the amazon page but, who knows.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I wonder when the review copies will be sent out.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

I wonder when the review copies will be sent out.

I thought Bethesda typically didn't do that, or at least were known for sending them out very close to the release.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I thought a bunch of review type people already had it? Wasn't there some real bad leaked screenshots a while back?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I think those were just devs or QA people.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I’ve seen rumblings of others, one of the guys on the kinda funny games podcast was saying he “knew a guy” who has been playing the game, and that person was expressing curiosity about how the game would be reviewed due to its size/length. Didn’t sound like that person was a Bethesda employee, and there was some suggestion that the “anonymous person” who the guy wouldn’t name was in fact, himself. All kinda unconfirmed rumour but the rumblings are out there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dang, I'm ten hours into Baldurs Gate 3 and extremely glad these two releases have a couple months apart.

I might request off in the run up to the release just to make sure I finish, though. Game feels HUGE.

I also think Starf is really going to compare negatively in many ways.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Couple months? Starfield is September 1st, less than a month.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
gently caress I'm never going to finish this poo poo in time.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Armored core 6 is in between too, and a new Poe league if that floats your boat, and I'm sure im missing stuff. Crazy month

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Crazy month for a lot of people. I’m here twiddling my thumbs because none of those things really appeal to me. I don’t think there’s a single game this month I’m fully onboard for. Immortals of Aveum maybe? Looks kinda generic tho. And a couple of indies I’ll grab when they’re on sale.

Bring on September, IMO :colbert:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

gently caress I'm never going to finish this poo poo in time.

launch might be Sep 1st, but you'll want to wait at least a month for patches

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

What I “want” is that jank injected directly into my veins on Sep 1st.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Dang, I'm ten hours into Baldurs Gate 3 and extremely glad these two releases have a couple months apart.

I might request off in the run up to the release just to make sure I finish, though. Game feels HUGE.

I also think Starf is really going to compare negatively in many ways.

Yeah I'm gonna wait until I finish bg3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

im not spending money for the early access of Starfield, that is crazy. Will wait until I can play it on Game Pass.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

AirRaid posted:

What I “want” is that jank injected directly into my veins on Sep 1st.

Same. I'm going into this already knowing it's going to be buggy AF for the first few months and I'm totally okay with it. The first few weeks of Skyrim are some of my best gaming memories

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i'm relying on the people paying for early access to let me know if the game is bad or broken, and which backgrounds and traits are worth taking.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah it's basically mainline BGS games and MMOs that you absolutely should be there for the chaos on day 1.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I said come in! posted:

im not spending money for the early access of Starfield, that is crazy. Will wait until I can play it on Game Pass.

But you can pay to play early on game pass too

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

queeb posted:

That's still paying money for the early access of the game, though.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I would consider spending for the needless 6 days early if it was absolutely confirmed the Day 1 patch would be out then too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

queeb posted:

Eh, i'll be really busy that weekend anyways at a convention.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh poo poo it's on gamepass? so i don't need to buy this!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh poo poo it's on gamepass? so i don't need to buy this!!

Yeah yeah! Don't buy, at best pay $30 for the version that gives you early access.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

You don't deserve Starfield at its polished if you can't handle Starfield at its jankest

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

queeb posted:

Is that confirmed? And will mods work on gamepass?

I'm normally storefront agnostic but I'm in this case it feels like Steam is the safest bet

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

malnourish posted:

Is that confirmed? And will mods work on gamepass?

I'm normally storefront agnostic but I'm in this case it feels like Steam is the safest bet

You can buy the premium-upgrade to the Gamepass version to play early. So it isn’t free, but it’s an option. I think $30?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

OctaMurk posted:

You don't deserve Starfield at its polished if you can't handle Starfield at its jankest

Whenever I get too excited about Starfield I temper it by remembering that a dozen years and releases later I still can't consistently finish the Thieves Guild quest or buy a house in Windhelm.