Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Why do these dorms in this modern energy efficiency focused building not have their own thermostats and independent/zoned heating?

Sounds like the people who built it were just idiots who couldn't even match the basic features of lovely old apartment buildings and this has nothing to do with air tight or passive building design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

An L-Shaped Biodome

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Elem7 posted:

Why do these dorms in this modern energy efficiency focused building not have their own thermostats and independent/zoned heating?

Sounds like the people who built it were just idiots who couldn't even match the basic features of lovely old apartment buildings and this has nothing to do with air tight or passive building design.

He posted the floorplan in another thread

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

He posted the floorplan in another thread

As ridiculous and prison-like as it is, and obviously it is (I think that one didn't get built actually after an uproar), I wouldn't have given a poo poo as a uni kid and my dorm window was only ever used for getting into the dorm window of the guy beside me on the 3rd floor so we could flip all his poo poo upside down and confuse him. This was before mental health was a huge topic in adolescents so I appreciate it's not a 1:1 thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah I recognize that floorplan as an especially awful proposal for a uni in I think california that was never built, only a tiny fraction of the living units have windows, they're all incredibly small, it's eight people per bathroom and mini-kitchen, etc. etc. Just insanely terrible living conditions.

e. ah yeah here it is
https://www.core77.com/posts/110433/Billionaire-Donates-200-Million-to-Design-Dorm-with-Windowless-Rooms-Architect-Resigns-in-Protest

quote:

Billionaire investor Charles Munger, vice chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, apparently has both architectural ambitions and terrible design instincts. The 97-year-old Munger donated $200 million towards the construction of a massive dormitory for U.C. Santa Barbara "with the condition that his blueprints be followed exactly," according to the Santa Barbara Independent.

Some mega rich old rear end in a top hat with a fetish for abusing college students.

also it fails basic fire code for california and since the "architect" is totally unqualified it's probably impossible to build as designed, too. loving 97 year old cosplaying as an architect, lmao

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 11, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i did a project on student accommodation at univermicity

I did poo poo

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

very tight

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
PROBLEM: POPULATION MIXING

NO MATES.

lol nah that's P cool

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Make a poster for your L

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Make a DOOM WAD for your L

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Foundations of the tower are conspicuously absent in the fancy presentation

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's a very lucky 8-10 pod residents on 2 floors

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I went to the architecture school final show a few times while I was a student. One year was really grim, all "building for after the climate-collapse", "refugee housing constructed from recycled building debris" and "wildfire-resistant residential construction", portrayed in dull browns and greys. It was like an art book for Fallout.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
core problem of ugly buildings somehow improved by uh, that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

core problem of ugly buildings somehow improved by uh, that

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm the beholder and I'm beautiful.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

is modular housing even a thing? like i know there's lots of prefab stuff but actual modular housing seemed to be that one gimmick hotel in tokyo (where else) and not much else

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's just vertical portacabins.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

vanity slug posted:

is modular housing even a thing? like i know there's lots of prefab stuff but actual modular housing seemed to be that one gimmick hotel in tokyo (where else) and not much else

This might be a confusion of terms or something because for me modular housing IS prefab stuff. Modular parts of a house built in a "house factory" which can then be assembled on site in a matter of days.

It's not super widespread but it's not really uncommon either. A number of cities in Canada have used them as a method to fill temporary housing needs for homeless since they're pretty cheap.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

vanity slug posted:

They've been a thing for quite a while. My grandparents had a modular home built in the mid 90's. They had the foundation poured and then the house came in 4 prefabbed sections that were installed with a crane in a day.

If you're imagining 'modular' in the sense of an entire home/apartment contained in one single unit, local to me at least there's a couple companies trying to do the shipping container house thing which is kind of interesting.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

yeah that's what i meant, the prefab stuff is very common here (it's just way more efficient), the project just reminded me more of Nakagin Capsule Tower Building

we have shipping container housing here as well but just for temporary / student accommodation, it's very airtight and easily deployable in an L-shape

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Yeah I was looking into a home that was built using modular parts, they never really got back to me so didn’t really consider it.

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/insight/insight/we-take-a-look-around-lgs-housing-factory-60136

The UK has a large amount of prefabricated housing that came in after WW2

https://nonstandardhouse.com/cornish-unit-type-1-precast-reinforced-concrete-house/

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What size of hole is respectable for a new build?

I would be disappointed if I could get a matchbox car through it. But I think I might get my actual car through it.

I think its measured in like air changes per hour or something to remove the size of house factor from the scale?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/feb/02/new-build-homes-why-some-owners-are-left-feeling-the-cold

Barry Cope of the ATTMA posted:

Building regulations are too lax. The maximum allowed leakage is the equivalent of a 20p-sized hole in every square metre of wall – “a huge amount of air leakage”.

ATTMA is "The Air Tightness Testing & Measurement Association" so I reckon Barry knows his stuff.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Cope, seethe

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lmao at the frolicking figure in the roof garden reallllly enjoying being near a tree

(also that tree would definitely die lol)

I also really love the floating pontoon architect office just unmoored and drifting about on the flooded landscape

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

classic student prank of pushing a pod out of the building, killing occupants and people below

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

devicenull posted:

You don't think the students would bypass the switches? I do...

It's possible but unlikely, it's not exactly advertised or obvious the 'switch' is a magnet on the inside of the window. Sticking a magnet on there with the window open would let the baseboard heater run, sure. I'd say this round goes to the architects in the eternal battle of architects vs. students.

Next is just turning the thermostat into a useless spinny knob on the wall.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol also the concept of a bunch of dickhead students turning up with their unheatable, presumably home plumbed and electricked MDF boxes and plugging them into a now legally responsible university. Dunno why they all hated my project.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh yeah the idea that the students would build their own pods from a flat pack kit of like laser cut MDF, with no adhesives or tools, is amazing
like they have to do the plumbing and electrical etc. also without tools I guess? and it all has to line up with I guess a common infrastructure connections in this building that is mostly an external shell and which has to deliver utilities sufficient for commercial as well as residential use cases, and it's all got to be safe for fires and so on

it's a great project IMO

SMALL AGING ROOM DECOR

LACK OF UNSUITABLE FLEXIBILITYCONTRACT

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Bit of a misunderstanding of the passive house standard ITT. The idea is that it needs no supplemental space heating beyond the waste heat from other activities in the building, but that only really matters during poo poo weather when you don't want to open a window anyway. In summer, it's not like you need to conserve any heat so opening a window is fine.
The real technical challenge of passive houses isn't the airtightness, thick insulation, low thermal bridging, high solar gain and heat recovery. It's making all those things beneficial in winter without the place becoming a sauna in summer.

NJAN's build is more complex than usual because the airtightness layer is located somewhere that gives more compartmentalisation from one room to the next, but then means so many services have to pass through the layer to get into each room. Hence all the airtight backboxes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Leperflesh posted:

yeah I recognize that floorplan as an especially awful proposal for a uni in I think california that was never built, only a tiny fraction of the living units have windows, they're all incredibly small, it's eight people per bathroom and mini-kitchen, etc. etc. Just insanely terrible living conditions.

e. ah yeah here it is
https://www.core77.com/posts/110433/Billionaire-Donates-200-Million-to-Design-Dorm-with-Windowless-Rooms-Architect-Resigns-in-Protest

Some mega rich old rear end in a top hat with a fetish for abusing college students.

also it fails basic fire code for california and since the "architect" is totally unqualified it's probably impossible to build as designed, too. loving 97 year old cosplaying as an architect, lmao

Sadly, Munger Hall is still very much planned. The campus architect resigned in protest in 2021 (read it, the interview's great). In December 2022 a a UCSD committee released a report calling out major shortfallings in design (health and safety risks) and Munger had a shitfit. Currently all plans are on hold while UCSB waits for Munger to come back with design changes.

Not canceled yet. We're all hoping hard.

e: Summary of some of the highlights of the Munger Report.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 11, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sadly, Munger Hall is still very much planned. The campus architect resigned in protest in 2021 (read it, the interview's great). In December 2022 a a UCSD committee released a report calling out major shortfallings in design (health and safety risks) and Munger had a shitfit. Currently all plans are on hold while UCSB waits for Munger to come back with design changes.

Not canceled yet. We're all hoping hard.

e: Summary of some of the highlights of the Munger Report.

Isn't he that incredibly old bastard in with Warren Buffett? Just delay a few years and he'll be dead no problem.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The trouble is that public education in the US is maliciously underfunded, and the old rich vulture said that he'd give 200 million dollars to build the building but only if they follow his exact blueprints. It's some kind of hosed up mixture between philanthropy and hostage negotiation.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

Isn't he that incredibly old bastard in with Warren Buffett? Just delay a few years and he'll be dead no problem.

But then presumably they lose out on all the money he was going to pump into building his soulless megaprison/dorm!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've lost a lot of faith in the L house after seeing those pod plans tbh.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

I've lost a lot of faith in the L house after seeing those pod plans tbh.

Think of the L shaped house as a docking station for pods. Once you've got enough of them, it'll be a regular square shaped house.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also lol that Munger Hall is expected to cost $1.5 billion and the insane billionaire student hater is only putting up $200 million. Maybe just build $1.3 billion of normal halls instead of undergrad supermax.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A highlight from the full report:

Ya think?
Full report (PDF)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

devicenull posted:

Think of the L shaped house as a docking station for pods. Once you've got enough of them, it'll be a regular square shaped house.

But don't make an entire line out of them though or it'll disappear

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

Also lol that Munger Hall is expected to cost $1.5 billion and the insane billionaire student hater is only putting up $200 million. Maybe just build $1.3 billion of normal halls instead of undergrad supermax.

They *want* undergrad supermax. Just from the breathless defence of the design from the head committee architect while saying "too bad so sad" to the one resigning, all I could see were, if not dollar signs in the eyes, at least "with enough hand-waving of concerns this will solve all our housing issues in one go".

All this talk of "virtual windows" and "fresh air pumped in at twice normal rates" and all this poo poo, it's them justifying battery farming so they can have chicken for dinner. "They have 7 square inches of space for natural foraging behaviours!"

That said, one of the big selling points from the head architect is that these are all single-occupancy, but do the USAers here know that double occupancy dorm rooms is one of those things we pretty much only see in american media, like football jocks and fraternities? I assume it's why you use the term "roommate" in later life while we say "flatmate" or "housemate" or whatever. Like some dorms have twin rooms but it's an exception not the norm, and you choose to take them.

Or is it not actually as universal in the US as it appears to be from the outside?

aniviron posted:

The trouble is that public education in the US is maliciously underfunded, and the old rich vulture said that he'd give 200 million dollars to build the building but only if they follow his exact blueprints. It's some kind of hosed up mixture between philanthropy and hostage negotiation.

This is also the plot of like a whole season of House.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Seems our protagonist also tried his hand at designing human storage units. Maybe there's something about the architect profession that draws out sadism. Spend all your time designing enclosures, start to see people as sims to toy with