Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

As of a few days ago UCSB scrapped the plans for Munger Hall.

https://www.archpaper.com/2023/08/university-california-abandons-windowless-dorm-munger-hall/

They’re instead announcing a request for proposals for housing development and it sounds like Munger has left the project.

https://www.independent.com/2023/07/30/uc-santa-barbara-housing-crisis-the-turning-point/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Good, gently caress Munger and all of his vile allies and supporters.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Jaded Burnout posted:

That said, one of the big selling points from the head architect is that these are all single-occupancy, but do the USAers here know that double occupancy dorm rooms is one of those things we pretty much only see in american media, like football jocks and fraternities? I assume it's why you use the term "roommate" in later life while we say "flatmate" or "housemate" or whatever. Like some dorms have twin rooms but it's an exception not the norm, and you choose to take them.

Or is it not actually as universal in the US as it appears to be from the outside?

It's very common, but like everything in the US there are plenty of exceptions. I went to (and now work at a different) small liberal arts college and at both the majority of rooms are singles.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

EasilyConfused posted:

It's very common, but like everything in the US there are plenty of exceptions. I went to (and now work at a different) small liberal arts college and at both the majority of rooms are singles.

Gotcha. I guess it's a quick way to force an odd-couple dynamic for plot purposes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
When I went to college some of the buildings had individual bedrooms (one bathroom and common space per 4 bedrooms) but most of the buildings had two people per bedroom, two bedrooms per common room for a total of 4 students.

It's inexpensive to build and I found it to be a decent tradeoff between privacy and keeping students from going full hermit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Good, gently caress Munger and all of his vile allies and supporters.

When Warren Buffett guest starred on The Office (US), he and Munger used the fake toilet on set, which had no plumbing, and made such a mess they had to rebuild that part of the set. So yeah, not sure I trust Charles Munger's architectural vision

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

It's inexpensive to build and I found it to be a decent tradeoff between privacy and keeping students from going full hermit.

Isn’t that the same argument they made for MegaDorm 1?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

When Warren Buffett guest starred on The Office (US), he and Munger used the fake toilet on set, which had no plumbing, and made such a mess they had to rebuild that part of the set. So yeah, not sure I trust Charles Munger's architectural vision

Wouldn't you notice there wasn't any water in the bowl?

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently it was a urinal. So dude walks up and starts pissing, meanwhile, it just empties into the wall cavity.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That makes more sense.

I'd probably be afraid to use any bathroom at a studio. You're taking a poo poo and someone pulls a wall away and now a studio audience is watching you drop a deuce into what is essentially a fancy bucket.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

That said, one of the big selling points from the head architect is that these are all single-occupancy, but do the USAers here know that double occupancy dorm rooms is one of those things we pretty much only see in american media, like football jocks and fraternities? I assume it's why you use the term "roommate" in later life while we say "flatmate" or "housemate" or whatever. Like some dorms have twin rooms but it's an exception not the norm, and you choose to take them.

The dorms I lived in had quadruple occupancy. Though that was at a university that had ~700 units for 37,000 students, so may have been atypical.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Isn’t that the same argument they made for MegaDorm 1?

Billionaires make a lot of arguments about things they know nothing about, but unless that dude had experience living in a prison and/or submarine he probably doesn't have anything to back that up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Billionaires make a lot of arguments about things they know nothing about, but unless that dude had experience living in a prison and/or submarine he probably doesn't have anything to back that up.

For sure, but in the article there’s quotes from the head architect on the committee who supports it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Failed Imagineer posted:

o_O

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

more billionaires should have experience living in submarines tbh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Still yet to receive any pod orders?

I also had a roommate when at uni in the states, there weren't any single rooms and some were quads. My experience in the UK is that single rooms is the standard, I've never seen students paying to share a room like in the states. Its crazy, most of students had their own SUVs or sports cars but still shared a room.

Anyway, up in the loft messing with manifolds

And! a fully operational flushing toilet!

which leaks! lol. FFS

Tried to put PTFE tape on it but it wouldn't thread on at all then. Tried fernox gunk too. Still leaked.

In the bedroom/snug whatever it is at the other end theres going to be an access hatch to get up into that cold loft to mess with the HVAC valves and stuff.

So I've built a little floor there 400mm above the ceiling to sit above the mineral wool insulation

Noticed something odd.

One of the floorboards isn't the same as the others!? I bought these ages ago to use as a temporary floor in the vaulted room when working up high and eventually to go down as the final floor in the main house bit of nice loft.

After some inspection, buildbase have hosed me.

Half of them are 22mm and the rest 18mm. FFS can't do anything about it now

Wrap and Board that ceiling

This rooms been full of junk so long it looks quite big now with a clear expanse of ceiling

Hopefully I'll be able to get in and around up jere to cram this space all full of insulation

Having the raised floor up there also made it easy to finish of the insulation bulkhead behind the MVHR unit between the warm and cold loft spaces.

And put up network points for the various sensor suites that will be wired into the house brain as its nervous system

Heres the plan for those

Made up a bunch of wire runs to run from the sensor locations back to the suite boxes.

This connector will be left through a hole in the ceiling/wall ready to be connected up to the PIR or whatever it is.

My problem is how to satisfactorily mount the PIRs?

So I've got a leftover 25mm conduit connector thingy.

Idea is to plaster the tube into the wall/ceiling with that wire hanging in it. Attach the PIR into the nut thing. Connect the wire up and shove it into the backtube and screw the sensor in. Air tightness will have to be a taped down flap of membrane above or something.

Sanded the nut thing a bit to make it thinner which actually made it look a bit like poo poo so might not bother with that, and cut the lugs of the PIR to allow it to squeeze nicely into the nut and voila

Alternatively I modelled up a little push in bezel thingy to 3d print. Wouldn't have to cut the lugs off the PIR then and avoid the screwing in which might mess with the connection wire.

but for 22 of these its going to be over a hundred quid. And I'd kind of want to do a test one first to confirm the fit and function.

I dunno

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

What you can do here is have Shadowheart cast Pass Without Trace so the sensors don't catch you and you don't have to fight all the guards that spawn in those rooms

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jaded Burnout posted:

For sure, but in the article there’s quotes from the head architect on the committee who supports it.

It's still a decent tradeoff to have a window in every bedroom and extra room to gather around a tv to play Halo. If you absolutely couldn't sleep with another person in the room there were other residence halls available but the individual rooms were smaller (worked out to about the same floorspace per person) and I don't think you were guaranteed a window.

The Odd Couple roommate dynamic is really overstated for movies/tv. If you really can't get along with someone, one of you can trade with someone from the other pair. If you can't get along with any of the three other people, they can move you to another room entirely. If that doesn't solve things, you're probably just a douche.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have trouble sleeping in the same room as a dog, I’m not sure how much getting along matters.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

So how much do you pay for this ~prison level accommodation?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

Varies a lot by college/university, but between 1-3k USD per semester, in my experience. Most colleges push the "Campus life experience" pretty hard, and sometimes there aren't any good alternatives.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

knox_harrington posted:

Slightly less than solitary.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

knox_harrington posted:

Rates for the entire academic year at the local university. These prices include a meal plan:

Rate Type 1: $18,332
Sgl - Premium
Suite Sgl - Premium

Rate Type 2: $16,536
Dbl - Premium
Tpl - Premium
Quad - Premium
Suite sgl - Enhanced
Suite dbl - Enhanced
Suite quad - Enhanced
Sgl - Standard

Rate Type 3: $15,521
Dbl - Enhanced
Suite sgl - Standard
Suite dbl - Standard
Suite tpl - Standard

Rate Type 4: $13,856
Dbl - Modified
Dbl - Standard
Quad - Enhanced
Quad - Modified
Sgl - Modified
Sgl - Economy
Suite dbl - Economy
Tpl - Modified
Tpl - Standard
1 bdr - Economy

Rate Type 5: $12,247
Quad - Standard
Tpl - Economy

Rate Type 6: $13,051
Dbl - Economy

Depends on the building what premium/enhanced/standard/economy means. There are also some co-ops with doubles priced at $8,838. There's also a complex a bit farther from campus that is designed for families, that doesn't include a meal plan, which costs $8,416, and are unfurnished.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, students, the most exploitable financial prisoners.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

aniviron posted:

Varies a lot by college/university, but between 1-3k USD per semester, in my experience. Most colleges push the "Campus life experience" pretty hard, and sometimes there aren't any good alternatives.

Where in the US of A can you get three months of on-campus living, even in a shared room, for less than $1k a month? Is your experience mostly rural schools? My uni (SF state) cost more than $1k a month when I was there... in 1998. Most students had to live off campus anyway, there wasn't anywhere near enough dorms for the population of students (and the dorms cost more than you could rent a room in the city - a lot more).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sanded the nut thing a bit to make it thinner which actually made it look a bit like poo poo so might not bother with that, and cut the lugs of the PIR to allow it to squeeze nicely into the nut and voila

Why not sand the side that won't be visible once it's screwed on?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've got a new plan. Magnets.

Simplify the 3d printed plastic bit to lose those lugs making it a lot cheaper to print, self adhesive some little magnets to the back of it and put a pair of screws in the ceiling underneath the surround for the magnet to magnet to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Magnets are always a sensible choice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've worked with tiny neodymium magnets and I can assure you that they are fiddly, and also any self-adhesive ones won't adhere well enough, you want to superglue them into place. And you will definitely accidentally glue a few the wrong way around and make things that repel instead of attract.

But also: do I understand it right that you have a bunch of sensors that are designed to be used to measure rooms, but the manufacturer hasn't supplied fittings for them to be put on walls or ceilings or whatever? That's a bit odd, right?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Where in the US of A can you get three months of on-campus living, even in a shared room, for less than $1k a month? Is your experience mostly rural schools? My uni (SF state) cost more than $1k a month when I was there... in 1998. Most students had to live off campus anyway, there wasn't anywhere near enough dorms for the population of students (and the dorms cost more than you could rent a room in the city - a lot more).

Mine was rural as gently caress, and over a decade ago. I probably made bad assumptions that such a thing would continue, lmao.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

$1k/mo for halls/dorms is kinda nuts.

I think I paid £60/week for a room of my own with sink, plus shared kitchen and 2 bathrooms (well, shower rooms w/ toilet and sink) between 6 people, including bills but not meals.

That was a while ago though, I just checked and it's about £95/week for the same these days. It's a 39-week contract so £3705 for the year (about $4700 at current exchange rate).

I think for most UK unis, halls are only for 1st-year students? Is the same true of dorms in the US? Usually in the UK you go out and rent a rooming house privately after the first year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The UK is very different. You guys have public funding for most of your education. You also have, with the exception of London, much smaller more compact cities where unis tend to be located. In the US many of our schools are in much larger more sprawling cities, where if you don't live on-campus you might have to have a car.

Also, in the states, we graduate high school at 18 and go straight to college or university (which are more or less the same thing here), where as in the UK you graduate at 16, go to college for 2 years, and then go to uni.

We do have 2-year colleges (especially community colleges), you can get an associate's degree in that amount of time, but it's still students starting at 18 mostly.

American schools typically offer dorms for everyone, although graduate students going for masters degrees I think typically don't still live in dorms.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Leperflesh posted:

The UK is very different. You guys have public funding for most of your education. You also have, with the exception of London, much smaller more compact cities where unis tend to be located. In the US many of our schools are in much larger more sprawling cities, where if you don't live on-campus you might have to have a car.

Also, in the states, we graduate high school at 18 and go straight to college or university (which are more or less the same thing here), where as in the UK you graduate at 16, go to college for 2 years, and then go to uni.

We do have 2-year colleges (especially community colleges), you can get an associate's degree in that amount of time, but it's still students starting at 18 mostly.

American schools typically offer dorms for everyone, although graduate students going for masters degrees I think typically don't still live in dorms.

Yeah I know the whole thing is a bit different. Often secondary schools ("high school") will actually also allow students to stay for the 2 years from 16-18. It's possibly you might go to a separate "college" where you can continue schooling doing regular school-y subjects (maths, computing, sciences, humanities etc.) or you might do some kind of vocational qualification or apprenticeship. So basically "college" and "school" may also be more or less the same thing here but not necessarily.

It used to be the case that you could just leave school at 16 and go into work (or not), but I believe now you have to stay in some form of education 'til you're 18 - though that may be in the form of a working apprenticeship where you are paid a wage (which can be a pitiful £5.28/hr - less than half the UK "living wage" of £10.90).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Leperflesh posted:

Lol that's not really how it works. Some people do call the final 2 years of school "college" but it's not analogous to a US college.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Everyone called it "college" when I lived in rural Hampshire 1988-1991, but that could have been regional and/or things have changed in the last thirty years. My older sister went to college. It was basically more high school for her, but the vocational thing was an option and I had friends who were aiming for that as their next step. I also knew a guy who finished at 16 and went to work on his family's farm. He had a lot to say about chickens.

In america the difference between a school called a college and a school called a university is, technically, something to do with how the administration is set up, and people colloquially use the term "college" for all post-secondary education e.g. everything after high school.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

WhatEvil posted:

$1k/mo for halls/dorms is kinda nuts.

More like $1500/mo cuz the academic year is usually 8 months. :eng101:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Everyone called it "college" when I lived in rural Hampshire 1988-1991, but that could have been regional and/or things have changed in the last thirty years. My older sister went to college. It was basically more high school for her, but the vocational thing was an option and I had friends who were aiming for that as their next step. I also knew a guy who finished at 16 and went to work on his family's farm. He had a lot to say about chickens.

The confusion is because most schools also have an attached "6th form college" which is mostly just another two years of what you've had already, but there can be completely separate colleges that only do those two years, and you can also sign up at another school's 6th form track, so lots of swapping and changing.

knox_harrington posted:

Lol that's not really how it works. Some people do call the final 2 years of school "college" but it's not analogous to a US college.

I stayed at my school into 6th form for my A-levels and it was like this for sure, but a friend of mine left and went to a dedicated technical college to do a BTEC for those years instead, and it was much more like a community college than just more school.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I got my GCSEs at a school that taught ages ~13 through 16, my sister who is three years older than me went to Andover College and got her O-levels and then went back to the US a year before me and went to a university. After doing my GCSEs I came back to the US age 16 with the rest of my family and had to go to high school for two more years.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

WhatEvil posted:

I think for most UK unis, halls are only for 1st-year students? Is the same true of dorms in the US? Usually in the UK you go out and rent a rooming house privately after the first year.

In the US you can live in the dorms until you graduate, but most people move into an off campus apartment after a year or two because it's cheaper. Besides, you should have some of your "first time living without your parents" out of your system. Apartment complexes also have differing willingness to rent to students, especially younger ones.