Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Epic High Five posted:

I hope people enjoyed my 95% blind Hollow Knight playthrough as I was recapping it in realtime, I picked about the worst time for it in terms of what the thread is talking about lol

gj guy it's a fun game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I hope people enjoyed my 95% blind Hollow Knight playthrough as I was recapping it in realtime, I picked about the worst time for it in terms of what the thread is talking about lol

as someone who's played hollow knight and had a very enjoyable time with it, i did, but i sometimes did double takes and had to remember what game you were actually talking about lol

e: in gta 5 today i blew up a bunch of american soldiers for insulting my canadian accent. gently caress you, imperialism.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Level 5 is a huge power jump for melee classes with an extra attack.

Progression curve does not exist in 5th edition from the looks of it.

if I get the drop on someone I can get off four attacks now before they can even do anything

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Epic High Five posted:

tbh i thought you were just way ahead of me in elden ring or bg3 or something but i appreciate it bc "it's harder than dark souls" will keep me from wasting my time with hoolow knight

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arivia posted:

as someone who's played hollow knight and had a very enjoyable time with it, i did, but i sometimes did double takes and had to remember what game you were actually talking about lol

e: in gta 5 today i blew up a bunch of american soldiers for insulting my canadian accent. gently caress you, imperialism.

Yeah there were a few times I thought I should be more specific, but I'm a very lazy phone typer and more importantly, I thought the moment of confusion where readers are trying to overlay BG3 onto Hollow Knight would be very funny

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the milk machine posted:

tbh i thought you were just way ahead of me in elden ring or bg3 or something but i appreciate it bc "it's harder than dark souls" will keep me from wasting my time with hoolow knight

honestly as someone who's finished dark souls after hollow knight i found dark souls much more difficult. i think it's a ymmv thing, because i was loving the combat and platforming in hollow knight and i've met some people who've seen the pogo move you do all the time and instantly swore off the game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the milk machine posted:

I'd say it's about as hard as dark souls, maybe less so because the nature of the format means bosses just can't do as much mean stuff without becoming literally impossible. It was harder by far for me because 1) I'm extremely familiar with the Souls style of combat and 2) I'm extremely bad at 2D combat

Arivia posted:

honestly as someone who's finished dark souls after hollow knight i found dark souls much more difficult. i think it's a ymmv thing, because i was loving the combat and platforming in hollow knight and i've met some people who've seen the pogo move you do all the time and instantly swore off the game.

Like this, I could never pogo for more than 3 times in a row before I'd gently caress up and eat poo poo. Luckily by refusing to do it the most you lose is the earliest chance at this or that bauble or upgrade fragment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I'd say it's about as hard as dark souls, maybe less so because the nature of the format means bosses just can't do as much mean stuff without becoming literally impossible. It was harder by far for me because 1) I'm extremely familiar with the Souls style of combat and 2) I'm extremely bad at 2D combat

Like this, I could never pogo for more than 3 times in a row before I'd gently caress up and eat poo poo. Luckily by refusing to do it the most you lose is the earliest chance at this or that bauble or upgrade fragment.

yeah conversely i fuckin hated kalameet because i have literally no depth perception and kept loving up where his moves were going and poo poo. got him down but it was drat frustrating.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Another thing is that it feels like character stories are tied to specific zones, and they have like no meaningful lines or interactions outside of them.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

you're better than me because I could not beat the radiance to save my fuckin life. gave up eventually. it's a good game but melee combat where merely touching enemies hurts you makes me grumpy

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
what's the most op class in bg3? monk is too boring

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the milk machine posted:

what's the most op class in bg3? monk is too boring

wizard if you know what you're doing

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The gently caress is this Lich getting all judgey about you not getting laid. loving skeletor over here with a love life deader than a rotting fish.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

The gently caress is this Lich getting all judgey about you not getting laid. loving skeletor over here with a love life deader than a rotting fish.

it's the forgotten realms. liches get laid so often there's a 3e feat about it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Buck Wildman posted:

wizard if you know what you're doing

hmmm what if i only half know what i'm doing

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i had a pretty good time being a vengeance paladin never did any stupid multi-class nonsense, you get haste, misty step and vow of enmity plus divine smites to just blast dudes into nothingness. The guy who shows up towards the start of act 2 to kidnap someone ate a divine smite crit to the face and died in the first round of combat before he could do poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

you're better than me because I could not beat the radiance to save my fuckin life. gave up eventually. it's a good game but melee combat where merely touching enemies hurts you makes me grumpy

I just maxed out my hearts, maxed out spell and nail damage (at the expense of reach and speed to make room for the health, I figured if I can hit it will only be once and right up close), and operated on a Dodge > Nuke > Nail program. I'm not a finesse gamer so once the game opened up enough that I could just start brute forcing through stubborn repetition things eased up

edit - to this end, I cannot recommend the Grubsong highly enough. A one notch charm firmly in the S-tier. It, Spore Shroom, and Quick Focus carried me in some fights super early on

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Aug 16, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the milk machine posted:

hmmm what if i only half know what i'm doing

bard

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

he'll yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i chose to be gale cause i like his purple clothes what are the op cheesy spells to get?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Can you make a character exactly like the first NPC you meet, kill them, and tell people you're a mimic. Or don't I guess but that's just a normal evil playthrough

oh man I think that's gonna be my next pitch to the poor DM who has to deal with my characters

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

the milk machine posted:

Imho dark souls is much harder than hollow knight. Hollow knight is a 9/10 game that's worth playing even if it is a bit obtuse in the beginning. Definitely fewer instances of trying to outsmart/trick the player. If there's a bunch of free dlc for it I'm gonna go check that out actually

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hatebag posted:

Imho dark souls is much harder than hollow knight. Hollow knight is a 9/10 game that's worth playing even if it is a bit obtuse in the beginning. Definitely fewer instances of trying to outsmart/trick the player. If there's a bunch of free dlc for it I'm gonna go check that out actually
Hollow Knight is straight up 10/10.

but yes overall I'd say dark souls is harder. HK is not exactly a "hard" game per se.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah it's 10/10 for me, I've got some issues with it but every single one is so minor as to be irrelevant. I have never played a game in this genre before in my life where I felt like it really understood what could be possible within the constraints and had as much trust in its players as is a hallmark of the Souls genre for me

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My suspicion is that most people will find it much easier than I did, and especially will not find the same bosses that stonewalled me to be so difficult. That's normal for any game tho, I always find some weirdly hard bosses to be a breeze and struggle on super simple ones. I don't think I've been hit by a Draconic Tree Sentinel in 3 playthroughs, and found Soul Master/Tyrant to be a little easy if a ton of fun.

Sewer Mohg and Caelid tower Godskin, however...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
If you liked it, i'd also suggest checkin' out Super Metroid (i think its on the Switch VC library) and also Castlevania Symphony of the Night

those 2, along with HK, are 10/10s and form the holy trifecta of the genre. there's plenty of other good ones but nothing compares to the holy trinity.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Unfortunately this means I've moved from the sidelines of the Silksong pining and onto the playing field

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

also blasphemous 2 comes out later this month and the first one is like $7 on steam rn

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Buck Wildman posted:

also blasphemous 2 comes out later this month and the first one is like $7 on steam rn

Got that and put some time into it, but it felt like I was way more interested in the concept than the actual gameplay. I plan on revisiting it tho now that I've got a lot more time with the game style under my belt, if the combat becomes even just a bit more entertaining I'd love to just explore every nook and cranny of that world

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

yeah it oozes aesthetic but the gameplay is not bad but not remarkable either

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
i have never played an armored core but this new one intrigues me

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the big question with hollow knight is where the hell is the Silksong sequel did it get canned?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Maybe my playing the original unbound the seal that prevented the game from coming out and it'll drop tomorrow by surprise

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

Got that and put some time into it, but it felt like I was way more interested in the concept than the actual gameplay. I plan on revisiting it tho now that I've got a lot more time with the game style under my belt, if the combat becomes even just a bit more entertaining I'd love to just explore every nook and cranny of that world

nah your first assessment is absolutely correct. the concept/art is cool (extremely cool), but the actual gameplay is very middling and mediocre. that's not to say it was bad, but combat isn't that fluid and is more like an older castlevania game in terms of stiffness. it lacked the piz-zaz and flow of newer games. there isn't nearly as much neatr poo poo to explore and nooks like HK. infact, pretty little iirc.

being a weird trad cath hosed up poo poo was about the only thing that carried it. that said, I'll probably still buy and play Blasph' 2 as long as I hear it doesn't suck.

now that you've lost your virginity, i still say checkout Super Metroid and Castlevania SoTN (and then if you like SoTN, check out the DS games like Portrait of Ruin n stuff). also if you like castlevania, checkout Bloodstained

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Aug 16, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Koirhor posted:

the big question with hollow knight is where the hell is the Silksong sequel did it get canned?

it's coming out after Barkley 2

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i think it's just that people are like "wow, i didn't know people could make good games" and some developers being hurt by the implication that theirs are poo poo

caliisto protocol PR guys: peeps not paying a $2000 GPU and another $60+ on terribly written, made and optimized rendered movies is actually gaming genocide

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Palladium posted:

caliisto protocol PR guys: peeps not paying a $2000 GPU and another $60+ on terribly written, made and optimized rendered movies is actually gaming genocide

lol that had to be one of my biggest gaming disappointments of recent history. Also Scorn. and also stray

man there's been a huge torrential downpour of just dissapointing western AA/AAA games the past couple of years. ppl should make good games instead of mediocre and bad games

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:21 on Aug 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xaris posted:

lol that had to be one of my biggest gaming disappointments of recent history. Also Scorn. and also stray

man there's been a huge torrential downpour of just dissapointing western AA/AAA games the past couple of years. ppl should make good games instead of mediocre and bad games

a bunch of devs responded to the positive reviews of bg3 by going "hey c'mon don't get your hopes up and expect good games" on twitter. we're all loving doomed.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
we are oppressed by the Big Indie Monopoly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

ER came out and nothing changed dont worry big devs will be fine also alot of money was thrown at BG3 idk if indie means anything anymore