Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Isn't the whole point of building your own house that you can do whatever wacky poo poo you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think the reasons are:
- house the way you want it
- cheaper
- challenge yourself or something idk

I think you could argue 99 has achieved number 1, despite having to make a bunch of compromises with reality.

Number 2 - lol

Number 3 - well yeah he's ended up in hospital a few times.

It's impressive and quixotic in equal measures, fair play tho I'm sure it'll be nice as hell when finished

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Splode posted:

Isn't the whole point of building your own house that you can do whatever wacky poo poo you want?

You certainly can, but we live in a society, and certain approaches will either be sped along or fought against when you have to interact with that society, like when dealing with regulations, hiring trades, and buying materials.

Something as simple as studwork external walls, something totally simple in many countries, would be a hassle here because the well trodden paths through regulations and routine construction expect brick or block.

You can still do it but eventually it makes more sense to adjust your expectations unless you have an infinite budget. It’s fun to see that contrasted against ice cream tubs in the attic.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I enjoy the contrast between the massively overengineered foundation pilings and walls made of crumbly styrofoam instead of cement blocks

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

skybolt_1 posted:

Agreed, like the whole mockery around the Ethernet cables... Multiple switches, unless you are dealing with high end managed enterprise hardware, introduce a whole new level of failure points and complexity. Ethernet cable is cheap, and it is cheapest when it's run before the walls are up. Its exactly how I would have done it if given the chance.

I don't think anyone had an issue with running cables while walls and ceiling were exposed, that's absolutely the smart thing to do. It was everything that came after that like making a bespoke cable management wall plate which was completely unnecessary and definitely just made the job more difficult to complete.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

99 read this: you're doing great man, we're all proud of you and the home you are buildng

Everyone but 99 read this: Please can we all agree to not inform 99 that Wifi exists so this madness continues.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
These sorts of things might be useful for bringing individual cables across your airtightness membrane?
https://www.greenbuildingstore.co.uk/products/pro-clima-kaflex-cable-grommet/
We ran out, so quite a few of the cable penetrations are just sort of blobbed up with extoseal magov tape or orcon F sealant. Seems to work.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Problem is ratty (this is not for 99) that Wi-Fi is useful for phones and getting 5 bar coverage in every toilet is very important. The IoT poo poo he is doing is dumb though. For 99 What router you going with bro

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yeah WiFi is kinda garbage compared to hardwired connections between computers. The connection between my server and computer always seemed to get fucky on WiFi and when I wired it all of a sudden every issue seemed to disappear. Not even counting that WiFi would just poo poo itself every now and then,even a dedicated WiFi card seemed to throttle itself for reasons I didn't get. A good router is important for sure but doesn't compare to an actual wired network.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

tbqh I would route the ethernet through my walls the same way, if you're using a desktop computer it's so worth it. I have a 150ft cable snaking along the baseboards of my house being ugly because it's worth it to me, but if I could have it in the walls I would. My real concern would be that eventually the standard would move on and I'd be stuck with a house that has a bunch of worthless outlets. The house I am in now has like ten unused phone jacks all over the damned place.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

aniviron posted:

ten unused phone jacks all over the damned place.
why not use them and rewire them for ethernet since apparently you love ethernet so much you want to MARRY it

(serious question though)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I don't know.if Ethernet will really go out of style, but who knows. It's held on for close to 30 years now though?

And same, I have cables routed along the baseboards and around the doorway so I can hardwire stuff in. It's so worth it and I can't imagine not hardwiring things or putting lines in if I was building or having a house built. So worth it long term and especially for most goons who do computer stuff.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ethernet doesn't go out of style because we keep inventing entirely new things and calling them Ethernet.

edit: We do the same thing with WiFi, with the additional caveat that the exciting new versions of WiFi can't penetrate walls.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 20, 2023

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

Ethernet doesn't go out of style because we keep inventing entirely new things and calling them Ethernet.

edit: We do the same thing with WiFi, with the additional caveat that the exciting new versions of WiFi can't penetrate walls.

So I'm gonna need an access point in the bathroom so I can use my phone on the shitter?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You also have the option of making GBS threads with the door open and hoping the signal will bounce down the hallway

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

devicenull posted:

So I'm gonna need an access point in the bathroom so I can use my phone on the shitter?

You don’t need it in the bathroom just near it. Wi-Fi can go down quite well so ceiling mounted stuff is pretty decent. I have one that is equidistant between the en-suite and main bathroom and below it down a floor is the WC. Gets full bars or rather -51 dbc looking at it.

If it wasn’t for my doorbell needing Wi-Fi I would get away with two in this house unfortunately because it’s a new build it needs an access point pretty close. At some point I will upgrade it to a PoE Ubiquiti one.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sagacity posted:

why not use them and rewire them for ethernet since apparently you love ethernet so much you want to MARRY it

(serious question though)

Few reasons. The biggest ones are time, effort, and expense; but also I live in a house that is more than a hundred years old and was constructed piecemeal by Polish amateurs and the interior of the house has not one but two ventilation systems, one of which is unused, as well as wiring that dates to the 20s - full copper jacketed in decaying paper, hooked to switches that still have mercury in them. All of this is spliced together with several other layers of upgrades and coverings, most of which is from the 40s-70s, none of which is consistent or documented, and I don't own the house. Given that, it feels like a fool's errand to undertake.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

devicenull posted:

The current solution is to support both 2.4 and 5 GHz, since 5 has more channels and higher bandwidth, but 2.4 goes through walls better. 6GHz is even faster/more channels/worse at walls, and LiFi even more so if it ever becomes widespread.

I suspect 2.4 will be with us indefinitely as a fallback, just for the range and coverage benefits.

Also, the real solution is to get a 5G nanocell in every bathroom, so your guests/victims don't need to use the WiFi.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

The current solution is to support both 2.4 and 5 GHz, since 5 has more channels and higher bandwidth, but 2.4 goes through walls better. 6GHz is even faster/more channels/worse at walls, and LiFi even more so if it ever becomes widespread.

I suspect 2.4 will be with us indefinitely as a fallback, just for the range and coverage benefits.

Also, the real solution is to get a 5G nanocell in every bathroom, so your guests/victims don't need to use the WiFi.

Hell I still have stuff that's 2.4 only (sonos)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

aniviron posted:

Few reasons. The biggest ones are time, effort, and expense; but also I live in a house that is more than a hundred years old and was constructed piecemeal by Polish amateurs and the interior of the house has not one but two ventilation systems, one of which is unused, as well as wiring that dates to the 20s - full copper jacketed in decaying paper, hooked to switches that still have mercury in them. All of this is spliced together with several other layers of upgrades and coverings, most of which is from the 40s-70s, none of which is consistent or documented, and I don't own the house. Given that, it feels like a fool's errand to undertake.

If your place is that old then the phone lines were likely fished through the wall cavities and probably aren't stapled to anything in there. There's a good chance you could use those lines to fish your Cat 6/7 in its place with minimal effort and get rid of whatever is stapled to baseboards.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
if your houses arent to your liking for whatever reason, just build your own how you want imho, its quick and easy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My tiny apartment has thick af plaster & lathe walls and I had to run a cable to my bedroom to get working Wi-Fi in there lmfao.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

if your houses arent to your liking for whatever reason, just build your own how you want imho, its quick and easy.
I was gonna, but I couldn't find any soft enough cinder blocks :(

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

aniviron posted:

the house has not one but two ventilation systems, one of which is unused

Sounds like you've got a bunch of conduit to easily fish wiring through then.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I also would run ethernet to every room given the opportunity. One of the first things I did when I moved into my current place is getting them to run an ethernet connection from downstairs to upstairs. Getting good WiFi coverage ends up being more expensive than running ethernet, especially when you're fighting your neighbours for bandwidth.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'd run conduit to every room from a central utility closet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Put a utility closet in each room to run cables to other locations in the room.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

withak posted:

Put a utility closet in each room to run cables to other locations in the room.

But under no circumstances are you to put a network switch in any utility closet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Network switches belong in the server room.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pseudorandom name posted:

You also have the option of making GBS threads with the door open and hoping the signal will bounce down the hallway

You could also not use your phone while making GBS threads.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

His Divine Shadow posted:

But how am I then supposed to read "Reader's Digest - How Is It Done.epub"?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What insane poo poo is this

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

How am I supposed to search "how much blood in diarrhoea normal"

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I only post while making GBS threads.

Yes

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

aniviron posted:

So you bought 99’s parents place?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Splode posted:

Not when you live too close to other people.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
yo dudes. Sorry for lack of updates, I've been on my holidays. for three days. to me mum's

Anyway it's very nearly plastering time. Am I ready? No its only been a few years off course I'm now rushing like poo poo at the last minute to not embarrass myself infront of actual house building people.

Plasterer has sent through what he says we need in terms of materials so ordered all that.

First batch arrives

manage to stick it in the garage car port/hole

Seperate from that and not really the most optimum use of my present time given immanent plasterage I carry on with the old ice cream tub setup

Second pallet of plaster arrives, lol had to be done in two orders because wickes is barely a functioning company

Didn't want to risk shoving the pallet on my dodgy garage floor so manually unload the second pallet to behind the first pallet so the first ones still wrapped and a bit weather tight. I can already envisage asking the plasterers to start with the behind pallet only to be ignored and really wind myself up. Maybe it wont happen and only a silly a little nothing thing but of course it will happen.

Little jobs like this boxing in are fine

But theres suddenely a lot of jobs left undone that need doing before I've got rooms ready for the plasterers

Like I've never actually properly attached any of the socket back boxes cos didn't know for sure what to do. So just gotta nut up and do that. Some certainty comes from the plasterers seeming fine with it all.

Except my poo poo blocks makes this a few pass affair in that I need to predrill, pullout, rawl plug then reoffer and screw them all in. cheers my poo poo blocks.

then tidy up the cables/wires such that they don't get cross

Gotta finish putting in the led profiles, which requires a bunch of special wiring runs, with homemade connections poked through

Lol somehow I don't have a good picture of this despite taking a bajillion pictures. Anyway

Oh and I've decided to airtight tape the walls to the floor as well as I can't see how that isn't also necessary for completeness.

But I've run out of tape

And theres dogshit screeding like this to deal with

Time is now getting tight as the plasterers have said start midweek... which is like tomorrow, although admittedly it isnt quite today yet where we are, yet. but still... gently caress

Plus I'm in a bit of pain and not sleeping well from my massive big fat red englishman sunburn lol

So lol then text with plasterer and we need door linings in first? before they can plaster? wtf lol? actually maybe someone said this oh dear why did I go on holiday? Its now bank holiday and can't get door linings until tuesday. After which I'm sure my skills will be more than equal to quickly and easily installing them all in a day.

oblong story squared, get the door linings

I am going for nice big wide 2foot 9 inch ones to meet part m building regs

but I did not think about door height as I didn't think I had to. The builders put in normal door apertures they assured me and I've read all the forums and watched robin clevett (foreshadowingly tiny) and they all recommend going with standard British door sizes so all the options remain on the table and you don't end up with expensive custom jobs.

So all the videos you watch the off the shelf door linings fit nice and snuggly into houses. Not mine. Big old 5 inch gap at the top and probably an inch to the side. hmmm

Turns out standard british doors are based off old timey hobbitses still.

I guess this is better than the apertures being far to small.

So I need to fit these 130mm wide door linings with 15mm proud either side of the walls to accommodate the plaster and sub plaster layer they will smoosh allover the poo poo block walls. This will all finish flush them I whack on more bits of wood to hide how poo poo all that was. Not my plan, how its done. So I make some spacers and wedges and stuff

Its a finessing job of pushing and pulling, knocking and nudging to get the lining plumb, level and square.

And of course it wont. So I throw away that level

And suddenly it works. rip wilkos

Finally get it somewhat ok and whack in a bunch of big concrete screws. Pull them out a few times and wiggle everything whilst cursing the concept on living all the while.

Googled wtf to do to fill the big gaps and did a bit of all of it

Do a second lining too now I'm so good at it. O h yeah and prime/seal them too as apparently otherwise they'll soak up all the moisture of the plasdter and bend all over the shop and be totally worthless and need replacing amazing ok thx

Lol also got other delivery of the under plaster parge coat stuff. Three pallets.

My mum had rung my brother because she thought I might top myself so he came down to help out then we fell out and could only communicate via his 4 year old son. Who also, helpfully, happened to speak truck delivery driver, as n one else seemed able to talk to the nutcase.

Rain tonight so best to offer up pallets to bifold doors and handball it all off to various helpful locations for the plasterers.

Anyway last thing today plasterer texts back to say they won't come till next week now.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
"L" mao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol.

Not sure what sunburned part of your body you're displaying there, hope it's not a macro shot of your bellend