Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tolth posted:

I honestly feel like you guys are just utterly determined to hate the live action. We have both the highest budget in history for a show like this, and Oda himself explicitly saying he endorses it.

Personally I will simply have faith in the author of hit manga "One Piece". The live action will be the best anime live adaptation ever and everyone will love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvxNaSIB_WI

It's OK to be cautious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arlong looks bad but in a charming way that is way better than if he was a bad CG man.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Waffleman_ posted:

Arlong looks bad but in a charming way that is way better than if he was a bad CG man.

I could get over the horrible makeup if he was at least a big, wide, beefy dude, but he just looks like a guy in a tropical shirt they picked off the beach with some makeup on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As someone else mentioned, he basically looks like Ivan Ooze from the first Power Rangers movie

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah arlong looks fuckin awful but the other stuff seems alright. just a matter of execution because the parts in the trailers are mostly good

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

All the ridiculously cheesy costumes and sets are making me think of the movie Hook, I love it

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It would be kinda funny if they just took arlong's actor and scaled him up to like 1.2 times his real size

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

GonSmithe posted:

It's really crazy that you keep equating Big Budget = Good.
Also really crazy you think they would allow Oda to say (or publishing anything with him saying) anything explicitly bad (not "we worked on it to make it better!") about a project they are spending that much money on.

It seems like you're utterly determined to like the show no matter what.

Also let it be known I think the show looks fine (except Arlong who looks like total dogshit in both makeup and casting), but acting like "THEY SPENT A BUNCH OF MONEY ON IT IT'S GONNA BE SOOOOOOO GOOD, people are just hating on it to hate" is silly.

They spent a bunch of money on it, and it's going to be a fantastic show. Everyone is going to love it.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I am going to dress up like my favorite One Piece character while I watch live action one piece.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They spent millions of dollars on Arlong's hosed up sword.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I am going to dress up like my favorite One Piece character while I watch live action one piece.

I've got my cardboard box and green clown wig ready

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They sold me on at least giving it a try when they made real rear end boats. That said, we've seen some weak cgi and wirework, so i'm not expecting a lot from the action scenes

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think it's perfectly fine to be cautious. It looks good and I'm happy for the people experiencing pure hype, but I wouldn't blame people for not daring to hope just yet.

Arlong is fantastic by the way. I'd much rather have a cheap goofy Star Trek prosthetic that lets the actor emote, and lets the actor get a bunch of screen time without straining the budget even more with fancy effect shots that you'll quickly get used to either way. There's tradeoffs to everything, and the Arlong we've got is sinister and weird looking and that's all you really need. We'll see if the actor can pull off what he needs to for the character, but visually he's great.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I don't even like 90% of the anime I don't have great hopes for the netflix live action adaptation (them with their great track record of these) but it should be funny at least

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

feel like Arlong's problem isn't that he's going to be using a prosthesis, it's that they didn't cast a 7'4" pro wrestler made of steak and continental rock to wear that prosthesis

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Eiba posted:

I think it's perfectly fine to be cautious. It looks good and I'm happy for the people experiencing pure hype, but I wouldn't blame people for not daring to hope just yet.

Arlong is fantastic by the way. I'd much rather have a cheap goofy Star Trek prosthetic that lets the actor emote, and lets the actor get a bunch of screen time without straining the budget even more with fancy effect shots that you'll quickly get used to either way. There's tradeoffs to everything, and the Arlong we've got is sinister and weird looking and that's all you really need. We'll see if the actor can pull off what he needs to for the character, but visually he's great.

He is not.
He looks bad, most of the normie opinions I have seen have said he looks bad, everyone unfamiliar with One Piece thinks he looks bad from the reactions I have seen.

It's ok if you like it, and I agree that I like using practical makeup over lovely CGI. But it looks like dog-doo-doo.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

GonSmithe posted:

He is not.
He looks bad, most of the normie opinions I have seen have said he looks bad, everyone unfamiliar with One Piece thinks he looks bad from the reactions I have seen.

It's ok if you like it, and I agree that I like using practical makeup over lovely CGI. But it looks like dog-doo-doo.

He looks great. A lot of people really like his look.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I see. It's a mystery character adaptation.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

GonSmithe posted:

He looks bad

Why?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He looks dumb in the manga, it's only better and better villains from there on however

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Because Arlong (and lots of other One Piece characters) doesn't translate to a non-cartoon medium, especially when you take away his towering physique.
He is silly looking enough as a manga character, and then when you try to do that in live action it looks like a person with a stick on their face covered in pink makeup wearing silly vampire teeth in a Hawaiin shirt, with a dumb-looking sword.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 25, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Live action Moria

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

GonSmithe posted:

Because Arlong (and lots of other One Piece characters) doesn't translate to a non-cartoon medium, especially when you take away his towering physique.
He is silly looking enough as a manga character, and then when you try to do that in live action it looks like a person with a stick on their face covered in pink makeup wearing silly vampire teeth in a Hawaiin shirt, with a dumb-looking sword.

That's literally what Arlong looks like though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I only hope Al Pachino is well enough for Foxy

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

one piece??? 1 🧩

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Make it to season four so we can see a man shoot CGI noodles out of his nose.

Don't care that he'll be in his 90s, cast Tom Baker for that part :colbert:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The 6 random Twitter reactions have spoken. OPLA will be the best show of all time

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I can’t help but keep the Cowboy Bebop live action in the back of my mind when watching all these trailers and things. I watched it, multiple times*, and I enjoyed parts of it. But I wouldn’t say it was good. I’ll do the same for One Piece. I don’t expect it to be a perfect adaptation and I’ll forgive the things they didn’t have the budget to do. And I expect I’ll love it, especially if the cast keep this energy the whole time.

Rubber suit Arlong owns, One Piece characters don’t have to be huge or look cool to be strong, and I prefer it to them doing CGI that looks like dogshit and they have to keep finding excuses not to show him on screen. Though tbh he does look especially cheap, like the Gorn from Star Trek TOS level of costuming… which is actually hilarious to watch now, so maybe they’re onto something.

*I work from home and I watch a LOT of things.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Upsidads posted:

He looks dumb in the manga, it's only better and better villains from there on however

Who’s inventing the levitating Robo suit for live action Kaido in 17 years time?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The 6 random Twitter reactions have spoken. OPLA will be the best show of all time

*places finger to ear*
I'm just getting word in that the internet hates the thing you like and it's not all that cool

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

He is not.

Gonna take the hot and spicy take here and say that I'm really digging that it's a corny as hell costume design for Arlong, because it's more-or-less an accurate representation of most outsiders' first impression of the manga art.

How many times have I heard people back in the day refuse to pick up this series because the art style was incredibly off-putting compared to every other popular battle manga propery over the past twenty years? I lost count after '07, I still hear it to this day from others, it's sort of become the de-facto turnoff for casual manga readers aside from the incredible length.

That means this show has got to really hoof it on all other cylinders in the final production to overcome that one major barrier; if people are still able to give this show a chance and like it after the first season credits roll it will truly be a testament to Oda's masterful storytelling methods to overcome these superficial walls.

People are really missing the bigger picture here; the Netflix adaptation doesn't need to be a phenomenal 1:1 ratio, it just has to not suck. If it can do it even middling at best then it will become the Berlin Wall teardown event, will get bolstered to a higher status as the years go by, and we'll start to see more elevation and risks taken by other studios on properties once considered unfilmable.

Sonic the Hedgehog movie quality is all it needs to pass the test here, basically a low B score on the card. With enough luck and focus I think they can stick the landing, that's all it needs to do.

White Light fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 25, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
also c'mon who cares about arlong anyway

show us hachi

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly I don't mind Arlong since it brings to mind some of those sci-fi shows from way back when.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I just want to see the rubber man kick the clown in the nuts.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I just can't see a cost effective realistic way late stage Franky or Chopper work out for live action

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Brook is a lab skeleton with an afro wig puppeted with wires

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I didn't think of Jim Henson's creature shop before!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Gear 5 switches from cartoon to claymation powers

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Franky will be portrayed by Jim Carrey wearing the prostheses Robin Williams wore for Popeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6NieliCIU

Inaki met God