Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Now that we know those aircrete blocks float, I've come around to those piles being necessary to anchor the whole house during floods

If it breaks loose - each airtight space can be sealed off from the others allowing the house to remain afloat even if several rooms are flooded.

The L shaped house is unsinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Shitposting aside, I actually want to know what the ventilation is like up at the loft. I might have missed or forgotten things along the way, but what with the airtight bulkheads all around, did you remember to put some air holes in the unplanned areas?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Are piles equally resistant in both directions, or have they only been approved to handle downward forces?

quote:

Uplift capacity of single piles and pile groups embedded in cohesionless soil
Conclusions
Experimental tests were conducted on single piles and pile groups containing two, four, and six piles under pure uplift loading. The test results are presented and discussed in this paper. Based on the foregoing study, the following main conclusions are drawn:

1.The behavior of single piles under uplift loading depends mainly on both the pile embedment depth-to-diameter ratio (L/d) and the soil properties. The net uplift capacity of a pile improves significantly with an increase in both the (L/d) ratio and the relative density of soil.

2.An upward displacement of about 1.4–2.5% of the pile diameter is required to attain the net uplift capacity for both single piles and pile groups. A very small upward displacement, 0.4–0.6% times the pile diameter, is required to develop the allowable uplift load.

3.The load–displacement behavior of a single pile embedded in sand under uplift loading can be represented adequately by a power equation that includes simple parameters. This equation needs to be verified by conducting full-scale uplift-loading tests on single piles.

4.For a net uplift load per pile in a group equal to a single pile load, the upward displacement of a closely spaced pile group increases due to interaction effects between piles.

5.The efficiency of the tested pile groups under uplift loading ranges from 0.32 to 0.83 according to the number of piles in the group, the pile embedment depth-to-diameter ratio, and the relative density of sand.

6.The efficiency of a pile group under uplift loading decreases with an increase in the number of piles in the group and with an increase of the pile embedment depth-to-diameter ratio.

7.The efficiency of a pile group under uplift loading increases slightly with an increase in the relative density of soil.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darkest Auer posted:

Shitposting aside, I actually want to know what the ventilation is like up at the loft. I might have missed or forgotten things along the way, but what with the airtight bulkheads all around, did you remember to put some air holes in the unplanned areas?

Never interrupt your posting enemy while he's busy building a loft autoerotic asphyxiation chamber

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Cyberhaus can serve briefly as a boat

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

Are piles equally resistant in both directions, or have they only been approved to handle downward forces?

I am a licensed professional engineer specializing in foundations and I can assure you that piles handle forces in both directions!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

withak posted:

I am a licensed professional engineer specializing in foundations and I can assure you that piles handle forces in both directions!

What is your take on the foundations of the structure in the thread OOC?

e: oops thanks!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 15, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Just marathoned the thread and I have the following comments:

1. That tile roof with the mixed colors is handsome AF.

2. I am literally a licensed geotechnical engineer and your first photo of that pit with all of the glistening clayey soil gave me the willies. Putting piles in was definitely the right thing to do, otherwise your long thin house would be flexing up and down like a bucking bronco as the ground wets and dries with the seasons. Pro tip: make sure your utilities don't have any rigid connections where they enter the house because this movement could still cause problems there in the future. I'm curious if any of your neighbors have basements?

3. The pile installer probably took you for a bit of a ride. You might have had better luck with a specialty contractor who does stuff like underpinning or other kinds of temporary support of existing structures when underground work has to happen close to delicate existing structures. They are usually better prepared to do deep foundation work with smaller equipment in smaller quantities and in tight spaces. The guys you used are probably are used to measuring their productivity in hundreds of feet driven per day.

For future reference an engineer probably could have provided some criteria (in terms of minimum blows/foot) that would allow them to stop driving once they reached the required capacity. An exploratory soil boring by an engineer could also have provided data to support a less conservative design. Unclear whether the cost of that extra engineering work would have allowed you to save much money on a job this size though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Darkest Auer posted:

They're was a spare set of extract/supply on the ventilation manifolds. I had been planning to run them down the services triangles such that they could be plugged into at the far end if the garage were ever converted into a habitable space, same as I did with a spare underfloor heating loop.

So instead I just fed them up into the little triangle ceiling at the top of the loft and put in a sensor suite extract and supply vent there. So the loft is fully ventilated, albeit not isolated from the hallway downstairs where the spiral staircase will come up.

The loft is not perfectly airtight to the service triangles what with all the access hatches through into them, but they are themselves within the overall airtight envelope of the building so not a big deal.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Interesting hadn't really heard of those. But no, from reading up on them they look not ideal for this use case.

You can get drop down air tight seals. They're more marketed for fire and acoustic stuff I guess, but achieve the same end result. So you rout out a like 20mm channel in the bottom of the door that it fits in. Theres a button that presses up against the inside corner of the frame as the door closes that launches the spring loaded drop down seal. Its pretty star trekky.

Theyre probably twice the loving price of the doors themselves.

Also because I have MVHR, in theory building regs are stricter on the gaps under internal doors. As in they make me have larger gaps to ensure the air flow between rooms that would be necessary if you were only extracting from moist areas. So I dunno I'll need to explain to them I'm too advanced for their "regulations" or just comply and hope I can get really droppy drop down seals.

This morning I had a several degree difference between my bedroom and bathroom and the only insulation between them is two sheets of drywall and a hollow core door that wasn't even closed all the way. You're overthinking things.

Just install regular doors like a normal person and if you aren't satisfied you can add the seals later.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Towards L shape architecture: where is the poo poo bush?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Hopefully in the spiteful neighbor's yard. "Look, I can't be responsible for every random plasterer that happens to walk by and poo poo in your bush.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
plasterer poo poo caper storyline has potential.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is it scarier to find the poo poo or is it scarier to not find it and realize they've put it in the plaster because you gave them a hard time? Nice brownish colour, that plaster.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They're finally using the break room.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
making GBS threads directly into that massive cistern chamber thing you sunk into the ground

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I just think it's nice that NJAN99 is giving paid work to his fellow goons.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Do you have spiral stairs in your house?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
How did we go from a bespoke break room with snacks and drinks for the workers to they are now all crapping behind one particular bush for some reason

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Does the bush at least have a bidet?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So I have trodden in poo poo today.

Round the back, right by the plant room door. Stunk. No way it's a deer or anything.

Like dog? But where from? So is this a human poo poo?

I took a photo. Do we want to see it for analysis?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does it taste bitter?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

No thanks

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Fine. Cowards

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

send it off to the boys in the lab

:itwaspoo:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

big news, just signed the book deal to transcribe the thread to book

cover art is back

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

beautiful

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tell me the back cover is a gentleman staring forlornly into a swampy clay pit with piles sticking out of the muck.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its the poo poo

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Post the poo poo.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Let me get this straight, nj99 has a break room and on site toilets, but uk tradies just poo poo on the ground anyway?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

making GBS threads in a bucket in a Catholic church was a real low point for me

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"There must have been a mighty crowd of dwarves here at one time ‘ said Sam; ‘and every one of them busier than badgers for five hundred years to make all this, and most in hard rock too! What did they do it all for? They didn’t live in these darksome holes surely? ‘ "

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So I have trodden in poo poo today.

Round the back, right by the plant room door. Stunk. No way it's a deer or anything.

Like dog? But where from? So is this a human poo poo?

I took a photo. Do we want to see it for analysis?

Bring it out

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Ratjaculation posted:

Post the poo poo.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

Ratjaculation posted:

Post the poo poo.

distortion park