Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Do not post the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Gort posted:

Do not post the poo poo

At least spoiler it to protect us sensitive souls.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I swear I’m not posting this to be rude and clearly you are a capable person, but is there a reason you designed this house with what seems like no natural light?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

big news, just signed the book deal to transcribe the thread to book

cover art is back

Love this photo of it, really

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Upgrade posted:

I swear I’m not posting this to be rude and clearly you are a capable person, but is there a reason you designed this house with what seems like no natural light?

I don't think they have that in England.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Upgrade posted:

Can’t control natural light from a phone

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wifi Toilet posted:

Can’t control natural light from a phone

https://www.loftblinds.co.uk/velux-blinds/velux-electric-blinds/

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Upgrade posted:

clearly you are a capable person

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nah, 99 can quite clearly build at a level above most of us journeymen DIYers, he just also happens to be completely insane

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nah, 99 can quite clearly build at a level above most of us journeymen DIYers, he just also happens to be completely insane

Skilled enough to try and build his own house, foolish enough to try and build his own house.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Upgrade posted:

Well the answer is that I didn't design it. The plot was bought with planning in place. I applied to modify the plans but having studied the planning history of the site I was not convinced that big changes, like repositioning the building on the plot to allow it to more sensibly benefit from natural light, would have been achievable. This has resulted in a compromised building for sure. Its dumb that "planning" operates in such a way to allow the building of worse buildings for arbitrary reasons. But it is what it is and I got the plot at a discount because of this.

Knowing what I know now, i suspect I had little competition because others saw issues I didn't. Not so much to do with the light and the finished build but the possibility for costs/complexity to ramp up.

- no services laid on when I bought it.

coupled with

- distance and elevation fall from the road

has probably cost... £20k to get power, water and sewer sorted. Had the site been directly up at the highway or already had these services it hugely reduces risk and costs could have been just a couple of grand or literally zero. And my costs are with me having the digger to do everything myself. Probably add another few k there otherwise, easily.

and of course the piles that inflated foundation costs by x 10. or more

Another example of this house being a very cost inefficient build, I'm about to order gutters. a normal house with this internal area probably has what? 20m of guttering? I am ordering 93 linear metres. The cost of that actually doesnt feel so bad. But the brackets to attach them are almost the same price again and I'm ordering maybe 40% less than the recommended fixing rate.

And that is all on the planning department again dictating a ridiculous house to build for arbitrary reasons.

Anyway plasterers all finished on that wing of the house, downstairs.

and spent the weekend gettign the loft ready. Just one custom hatch I'm still waiting on to get cut into the end wall where the MVHR unit is.

They werent in today or tomorrow. We'll see Wednesday maybe but got to do a family airport thing anyway.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
You having to separate the drainage water and sewer water I am guessing then?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Starbucks posted:

You having to separate the drainage water and sewer water I am guessing then?

Yeah. they are totally separate.

All the sewer stuff runs to the pumping station buried in the driveway, then pumped up to a manhole near the gate where it joins with the pub waste which is on my land before falling to the mains sewer in the road. The pub has blocked this several times. The water from the roof goes to 4 downpipes (and a little interconnected plant room one) then to the two soakaways, one small one by the garage, and a larger one down the garden that also overflows to the pond.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Love the loft pic there ngl

And you mean the pub has blocked your sewer multiple times? Oh god

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Shadow L

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

"It's greasy-poo poo night at the pub again!"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

UCS Hellmaker posted:

And he's downhill from it. That will never end up poorly in the future I am sure.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Another example of this house being a very cost inefficient build, I'm about to order gutters. a normal house with this internal area probably has what? 20m of guttering? I am ordering 93 linear metres. The cost of that actually doesnt feel so bad. But the brackets to attach them are almost the same price again and I'm ordering maybe 40% less than the recommended fixing rate.

We're all in the gutter. But some of us are looking at saving 40% on the recommended fixtures

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OP you really gotta run huge LED strips down that loft and have raves in it.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Fixing your external cladding to thermalite blocks is going to be a fucker. Our builder warned us about it right at the off, so we switched the outside skin for medium density block instead. You could maybe fix on a 300 wide strip of ply at each building corner so you can screw that into the thermalite well away from the corner, then nail your cladding into the ply much closer to the corner.
We used galvanised nails and they're looking fine after a couple of years. The larch cladding keeps shifting about with moisture changes though, so I'm going to have to go round and bash them all in again.

It is weird how the plaster hardens up the acoustics of the building, and it won't really lose that liveliness until you furnish it. Also the sense of space changes as well I think. Our build was a whole succession of "this is a tiny space" "this is a massive space" "this is a tiny space".

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Speaking of super tough aerated cement bricks, I just saw this. Lol

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7280511794710383918

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So on the third attempt, British gas have arrived to change me over onto a smart meter (electric)! But I'm in bed because I didn't believe them.

Sped up and let him in the gate.

Ah. 3 phase?

Yes mate.

Nah can't do it.

Of course.

Nice guy. He reckons he was the one that installed the meter originally. Anyway he lets me into the secret that British gas are "a complete shitshow". So it's nice to have my suspicions confirmed.

I am on New Energy Platform which makes things easier. Anyway being on that means I can't have a 3 phase smart meter, making things easier.

I need to be on classic billing.

So he's given me a number to ring and some key magic words to say so he can get booked in to come back and fit it.

His parting gift is to say that he has the fabled 3 phase smart meter in his van right now. Great.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

His parting gift is to say that he has the fabled 3 phase smart meter in his van right now. Great.
Oh this happens all the loving time. My dad used to be a gas fitter, and he was always getting bollocked for spending more time at appointments than was allotted. Something to do with the callcentre trying to fit as many appointments in a day as possible, leading to wildly unrealistic expectations about travel time and time-on-site.

So if he stayed even an extra five minutes, the callcentre had to contact everyone else and tell them he'd been delayed. Even though it's their fault for not leaving any stretch space.

The way BG measures things, it's more efficient to have multiple failed appointments than it is to have one appointment that goes on a bit longer than expected. And the inventory system is absolute dogshit so if the engineer had checked, that part in his van has probably been promised to someone in Scotland in two years time.

My dad used to just fit stuff and then go "oops" and let the callcentre sort out the mess, but by that point he was pretty much unfireable thanks to being the only fucker who could handle the tougher jobs, and also the union.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Prototypical british jobsworth

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Saw this sign today and thought of you lot.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Why would a gas meter run on 3 phase at all?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

MetaJew posted:

Why would a gas meter run on 3 phase at all?

It's the electricity meter, British Gas handles gas and electric.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Muir posted:

It's the electricity meter, British Gas handles gas and electric.

Jesus Christ, these people can't even speak their own language.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They got privatised and then diversified. Any attempt to change their name has hit a brick wall of extreme public brand awareness.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

You able to shift to a less poo poo supplier?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There are no not-poo poo suppliers.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I am okay with Octopus, Eon was poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wait so, you can't have the three phase smart meter the guy had in his van, because you're on "New Energy Platform," he just can't install it because of whatever the gently caress NEP is? Is that it?

is it this poo poo? A "startup mentality" sub-team using Salesforce and AWS? And they just like, forgot about three-phase power?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

quote:

Startup mindset

Salesforce
lol

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

Wait so, you can't have the three phase smart meter the guy had in his van, because you're on "New Energy Platform," he just can't install it because of whatever the gently caress NEP is? Is that it?

is it this poo poo? A "startup mentality" sub-team using Salesforce and AWS? And they just like, forgot about three-phase power?

"Startup mentality" indicates a desire to 'move fast and break things'. You expect them to remember Kyrie details like that when they're busy figuring out how to jam a large language model into what they do?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

It’s the classic legacy systems so crap need to start again and use this newfangled agile framework, but we have to use something like SAFe because governance, oh and buy over build, but can’t be any of that open source stuff we need SaaS for better service management.

And thus Ouroboros continues on its quest.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Have I stumbled into the comment section of The Register?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I always forget that some places have like actual decisions to be made on things like power suppliers. Right now it's the Hydro company owned by the city and before we moved it was the Hydro company owned by the province.

Sure simplifies things.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Having spent an hour and a half on the phone with British gas being passed around from confused person to person, including at one point some guy in aquisitions (?) I have been presented with several options.

Do not have a smart meter.

Do not have 3 phase supply.

Go away.

I have selected the third option. To be fair it was actually go away and come back again as a new customer, I'm just not going to do that bit but try and get octopus or someone to do it all instead.

The problem is apparently that they are porting all their customers onto this new energy platform whatever that is and there's no button to send a customer in the other direction back to the old classic billing.

But if I'm a new customer they can just put me on classic billing from the start, then I can have a 3 phase smart meter.

Nope. I'll just go somewhere else and start all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sensible.