Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double: I really like how the "abduction" ability gets used this series. RIP that nurse though, pretty sure it will be his feet we see framed in the doorway from the last chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Mikane and The Sea Woman: Huh. I think it's pretty obvious that she just let him go, considering that he had to swim to the shore and managed to do so unmolested. And our protagonist is a marine biologist now?

EDIT: ok, that's apparently a new character? Not the smoothest transition... :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 23, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Reading Yuyu Hakasho, and I don’t think I dislike the slow burn to get Yusuke back into his body. It makes it more believable that he’s ultimately a nice guy with a chip on his shoulder when he helps random strangers out, though I guess I get how it wouldn’t be the most appealing thing for some to read.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Reading Yuyu Hakasho, and I don’t think I dislike the slow burn to get Yusuke back into his body. It makes it more believable that he’s ultimately a nice guy with a chip on his shoulder when he helps random strangers out, though I guess I get how it wouldn’t be the most appealing thing for some to read.

The anime cuts down a lot of that as I recall (and is generally regarded as being better than the manga in some aspects) so you could always try watching that instead

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Already watched the anime, and like i said im enjoying it well enough. Or was, Yusuke got his body back.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Mikane and The Sea Woman: Huh. I think it's pretty obvious that she just let him go, considering that he had to swim to the shore and managed to do so unmolested. And our protagonist is a marine biologist now?

EDIT: ok, that's apparently a new character? Not the smoothest transition... :v:

She's trying to scare him straight it seems but it remains to be seen how permanent these water powers are going to be and how much further any abilities/mutations will develop. I assume this is going to be something like "proximity to sea water will hasten the changes" and the Mermaid's goal is to get Mikane to move to the mainland or something so he'll be safe from further changes as well as whatever else is lurking in the waters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Two on Ice has interesting art but I'm not sure how compelling the premise really is. Also the focus on doubles just makes me think of that old Will Farrell comedy, Blades of Glory. Also looks like Mamayuyu finally is going to be about what it is going to be about with the idea that their world is becoming a stomping ground for alternate universe heroes and demon lords.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I like Medalist, so I'm going to give Two On Ice a chance. Kinda treat it like the coach's origin story.

I thought for sure this would be the last week for Ichinose, but I guess we're still going.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sakamoto Days: this sniper fight is cool as hell.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rip gil. Not many chapters left in it im afraid.
No one can beat him when it comes to being Axed.

Roboco: its just references. I still clapped like a seal and pointed

Mamayuyu: I wanted more family life. Still have decent hopes for it.

Sakamoto: Ever since the chinese mafia gambling arc ended it hasnt missed a single step. No one can stay winning this long and hard. Can they?

Kagurabachi: oooooh this mangaka wants an anime adaptation. They want it real bad.

Kill blue: .....sigh
Though im hoping it wont go there.

Ichinose:
loving
Get cancelled already
Perish
End

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kill Blue has been very clear that that relationship would be horrible and creepy so I don't think they're going to do it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just finished Yu Yu Hakusho.

I liked most of it, but I do have to discuss the big retcon near the end regarding the nature of demons. Most demons being nice is at odds with almost everything the manga had shown and told up to that point. It seemed pretty clearly established that demons were innately violent, except for a few unusual subspecies like the Ice Maidens. Banditry is explicitly the Demon World's most common profession, male Ice Maiden hybrids are always violent like their fathers instead of peaceful like their mothers, Yusuke tapping into his demonic heritage makes him not particularly bothered by the idea of eating humans, and even Kurama was a lot less nice when he was a fox spirit.

I guess I can partly rationalize it by saying that only high-ranking demons have those tendencies, and most of the lower-level demons causing trouble in the Human World were brainwashed by Papa Enma, while the audience at the Dark Tournament was basically self-selected to be unusually bloodthirsty demons. Some high-ranking demons being obligate humanivores is a problem in theory, but maybe not so much in practice; remember that it took Raizen 700 years to starve to death!

Still, it's clearly a retcon, which raises the question of why Togashi changed his mind. Was Togashi worried that the story up to that point could be interpreted as xenophobic? Or did he have a more nuanced explanation of the nature of demons in mind that was supposed to have been revealed gradually, which became more abrupt and handwavey due to the Demon World Unification Tournament storyline being cut short due to impending cancellation?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ichinose's art is pretty good, much better than takopi, but it's wasted on such godawful plotting

yozakura family on the other hand keeps winning

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
MamaYuyu: It seems that the introduction is over and real plot begins now? I have hard time with this series, it definitely does interesting things, but I just can't seem to vibe with it? I'll stick with it for a few more chapters I guess?

Kagurabachi: Dumb memes aside, the art is decent, the story is by-the-book battle shonen and the constant goldfish motif is really nice. Overall, pretty solid, if nothing spectacular, but with a possibility of being good in relatively near future?

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: It's kinda hilarious that now basically everyone agrees that the protagonist is the crazy and potentially dangerous one and that Kisaki is the relatively normal one that should beware. Including the protagonist himself. :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Ichinose interesting bad or boring bad?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is like the third time people have thought Kill Blue was gonna do the thing.

They clearly aren't, at most it would be a bit for a couple of chapters of him deflecting and hiding from her advances until the hypnosis runs out or they find a solution.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think two on Ice had some good potential with the leads. Nice change of pace from all the action stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

boring bad. for the first ten chapters it was uncomfortable bad as the author has a borderline fetish for kids psychotically bullying each other and that little arc had it on full display, but since then it's been freewheeling through an ambiguous-reality scenario like "the prisoner" with the extremely vague theme of what makes a family. the main character constantly wakes up and finds the previous chapter was all a dream. it's verging on double digits at this point

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Huh, Ayakashi Triangle ended. Bit of a weak ending as well. Pretty big “and things will continue to happen” non-ending.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi continues to move on, delving a little bit into the other guy who also decided to go pro as a result of that amateur competition Akane won. Last chapter more so than this week's, which is a bit of marking time while it sets the stage for the one guy who can give Akane a promotion.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I dunno, I'm kinda growing on Ichinose family. Early on the it kept you constantly off guard by just constantly throwing wild poo poo at you, but now the metaphysics of it all feels like it's getting clear.

Of course, now that I say that it's probably going to throw some wild curveball but oh well.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Interesting frustrating, and closer to good than bad. I do think it lacking a strong structure between arcs (not entirely due to the dream sequences) is the biggest potential turnoff, but I have enjoyed the gradual unwinding of each family member's backstory and hangups.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

Huh, Ayakashi Triangle ended. Bit of a weak ending as well. Pretty big “and things will continue to happen” non-ending.

Is he a boy again?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Darth TNT posted:

Is he a boy again?
Nope! She could have changed back but elects to stay a girl and asks Suzu out. They kiss. Meanwhile Suzu remains on brand and wants to learn the gender swap jutsu so she can have both.

Honestly about the best ending I could expect. It's funny that some people are surprised by it despite Matsuri's whole character arc being becoming gradually more feminine and accepting Suzu loves her as a girl too. And the antagonist of the final arc is literally boy Matsuri being puppeted by conservative old exorcists to seduce Suzu, who are then destroyed when girl Matsuri and Suzu kiss and shoot a gay beam at them. It was not a subtle story.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 24, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If I'm left wanting for more from something I enjoyed and it seems where the author wanted to tap out then alles goed.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sindai posted:

Nope! She could have changed back but elects to stay a girl and asks Suzu out. They kiss. Meanwhile Suzu remains on brand and wants to learn the gender swap jutsu so she can have both.

Honestly about the best ending I could expect. It's funny that some people are surprised by it despite Matsuri's whole character arc being becoming gradually more feminine and accepting Suzu loves her as a girl too. And the antagonist of the final arc is literally boy Matsuri being puppeted by conservative old exorcists to seduce Suzu, who are then destroyed when girl Matsuri and Suzu kiss and shoot a gay beam at them. It was not a subtle story.

Nope, not at all. Matsuri spelling out at the end that her life was drastically improved once she became a girl has me pretty sure that she's not going back to being a guy once she's done with school, either.

Also, Suzu absolutely does not need to learn the gender swap spell, poor Matsuri would never get another night of sleep ever again.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ichinose:
loving
Get cancelled already
Perish
End

:hmmyes:

Mamayuyu: I'm really starting to enjoy this one

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kagurabachi's on chapter 2 and...

It's kind of good so far!

The art's nice, the paneling is clever, and it's hitting some tricky balancing acts out of the gate. The protagonist is a bit of an edgelord, but in a way that doesn't make him an rear end in a top hat, and his friend undermines his bit often enough to keep him grounded, and he's presented as being very dangerous without making it feel like he's going to have to get nerfed to allow for interesting conflict and growth.

I also like his and his friend's "Yep, this again" casual attitude towards the monster that erupted out of the Yakuza, and like it more because it's treated as a product of their social position rather than some unique badass trait. They've spent time in the big cities, so they've seen this kind of crazy before.

Meanwhile, Two on Ice just didn't work for me out of the gate, and I can't say exactly why. It's not bad or anything, but compared to Blue Box or MMA, there's no real hook at the end of the first chapter. No rival to challenge, no question if they'll manage to make a team, no mysteries to solve. It's just... there.

(Also, the backstory feels kind of weird in the information age. If there was a obvious best-in-the-world prodigy appearing in TV competitions ten years ago, there'd be a massive internet footprint for finding her name. The protagonist not seeing it when he watched her on TV regularly strains disbelief, especially when it's dealt with by the end of the chapter rather than offering a later hook.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There are tons of child prodigies in acting sports etc in real life who fall out of the public eye and are no longer relevant and when kids grow up into teens they can change enough to not upon cursory glance be noticeable.

Like if you think about them you can Google them and read up. Or maybe there is a YouTube channel about "where is this child actor/athlete now" but you'd have to be seeking it out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

There are tons of child prodigies in acting sports etc in real life who fall out of the public eye and are no longer relevant and when kids grow up into teens they can change enough to not upon cursory glance be noticeable.

Like if you think about them you can Google them and read up. Or maybe there is a YouTube channel about "where is this child actor/athlete now" but you'd have to be seeking it out.

That's the thing. He was obsessive about her, built his whole life in her shadow and never found her name. It's not "How did he not know where she went?", it's "How was her name an unknown?"

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Kagurabachi's on chapter 2 and...

It's kind of good so far!

The art's nice, the paneling is clever, and it's hitting some tricky balancing acts out of the gate. The protagonist is a bit of an edgelord, but in a way that doesn't make him an rear end in a top hat, and his friend undermines his bit often enough to keep him grounded, and he's presented as being very dangerous without making it feel like he's going to have to get nerfed to allow for interesting conflict and growth.

I also like his and his friend's "Yep, this again" casual attitude towards the monster that erupted out of the Yakuza, and like it more because it's treated as a product of their social position rather than some unique badass trait. They've spent time in the big cities, so they've seen this kind of crazy before.

Meanwhile, Two on Ice just didn't work for me out of the gate, and I can't say exactly why. It's not bad or anything, but compared to Blue Box or MMA, there's no real hook at the end of the first chapter. No rival to challenge, no question if they'll manage to make a team, no mysteries to solve. It's just... there.

(Also, the backstory feels kind of weird in the information age. If there was a obvious best-in-the-world prodigy appearing in TV competitions ten years ago, there'd be a massive internet footprint for finding her name. The protagonist not seeing it when he watched her on TV regularly strains disbelief, especially when it's dealt with by the end of the chapter rather than offering a later hook.)

I've not read Blue Box so I dunno about that one there, but Medalist kind of ruined these types of manga since I can't suspend my disbelief on how legit HARD it would be to do a lot of the stuff in ice skating. It makes him trying to pull off a 3 Axel an eyebrow raiser since that's one of(if not the hardest) jumps to land. It's just not offering me anything that I can't get elsewhere. It's not quite that it isn't possible from what I've seen and read, it's just that it's the same thing as chiasaur11 said, anyone THAT good(either the guy, but mostly the girl) would have been scouted and gotten every possible endorsement and support to get them to the Olympics and if they had faded for whatever reason, there'd be SOME kind of trail. Again, not entirely unheard per se, but there would have been something out there.

I dunno that's just how I feel about it based on my feelings after reading something like Medalist. It's not bad, but it just doesn't really quite hit it for me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It's kinda weirdly written where I can't tell whether or not he knew her name. Because how else would he or his mom know she wasn't competing in a competition? How would he watch entire news reports about her without hearing her name? But the ending being her name makes it feel like it's news to him. I dunno.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mc literally says "I'm gonna remember your name so you remember mine too" when they first meet as kids. check the page before the girl names herself

he knew her name the whole time. the thing at the end was him realizing that the girl teaching him to skate and the little girl that inspired him were the same person

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

mc literally says "I'm gonna remember your name so you remember mine too" when they first meet as kids. check the page before the girl names herself

he knew her name the whole time. the thing at the end was him realizing that the girl teaching him to skate and the little girl that inspired him were the same person

Yeah, I'm seeing how I got the wrong idea there, since he's asking about her name in the context of not finding her in listings, but it seems like her name being a reveal was just for the reader. Probably felt a bit less odd in Japanese.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ruflux posted:

I'm hoping the most they'll do is officially make the backlog pay-to-read rather than letting you read each chapter once in the app or something similar. But considering this is a manga publishing company and others have tried to make coin systems a thing in the western sphere before, I can't exactly say I'm confident enough to predict that's what they're doing.

The sad thing is that, for all I know, a coin system actually *might* be profitable using similar principles to gacha games (where a minority of users spending a lot more outweighs the loss from most users disengaging from their platform).

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Was anyone else distracted by how badly the children were drawn in Two On Ice's backstory? Their cheeks were very angular and not rounded at all so it looked like the author stuck a pair of grown-up's heads on a kid's body.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

Was anyone else distracted by how badly the children were drawn in Two On Ice's backstory? Their cheeks were very angular and not rounded at all so it looked like the author stuck a pair of grown-up's heads on a kid's body.

Yeah the art style was really weird and it was kind of off-putting.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

The Black Stones posted:

I am a bit surprised. The story hints that the Medium has a storied past that we have not fully exhausted such as the King of Yamato, but in the ultimate moment, Suzu agrees to ignore that and there is no narrative consequences aside from her limited use of the Life Halo. If the mangaka does not have much story left to tell, I guess this is the ending we get, but the story had more room to breathe.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Flair posted:

I am a bit surprised. The story hints that the Medium has a storied past that we have not fully exhausted such as the King of Yamato, but in the ultimate moment, Suzu agrees to ignore that and there is no narrative consequences aside from her limited use of the Life Halo. If the mangaka does not have much story left to tell, I guess this is the ending we get, but the story had more room to breathe.

The king of yamato thing is just a reference to Yamato Gensouki.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1706670703104430195?t=14wrRGReBgY6nmJsMThklA&s=19

Surely this'll just mean there'll be two different tiers to access more/less manga, and not referring to currencies, right?... Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not sure how the tiers will break down but I feel like their big pay features would involve removing the reading limits and unlocking back chapters, $5 removing their awful ads would also be nice.