Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I liked LA more than NY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone made a retro game recently called Norco that is based around that town, although it’s got a lot of sci-fi elements as well

That game ruled, I just wish it was a little longer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It did seem like it ended abruptly

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
LA puts you in a 2-hour radius where you can get in your car and drive to the snowy mountains, hot desert or the beach. Yeah no poo poo Hollywood sucks, I wouldn’t advise people hang out in Times Square, either.
LA is a diverse place with great food and great weather. It’s a shame that in the last decade it’s gone from incredibly expensive to extremely unsustainably expensive.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

I used to have to drive to NORCO, Louisiana a lot for work. Go on and look up why the name of the town is in all caps. Always felt bad for the people who lived there, and tried to get done and back away from there ASAP

2000 census white pop: 2700
2000 census black pop: 633
2010 census white pop: 2700
2010 census black pop: 210

Y I K E S

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Power Walrus posted:

LA puts you in a 2-hour radius where you can get in your car and drive to the snowy mountains, hot desert or the beach. Yeah no poo poo Hollywood sucks, I wouldn’t advise people hang out in Times Square, either.
LA is a diverse place with great food and great weather. It’s a shame that in the last decade it’s gone from incredibly expensive to extremely unsustainably expensive.
Indeed, I have skied and surfed in the same day. There is an alternate reality version of LA with less sprawl and good mass transit, but we live in hell world so we get what we got.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

2000 census white pop: 2700
2000 census black pop: 633
2010 census white pop: 2700
2010 census black pop: 210

Y I K E S
The black ones are the smart ones here, that town is just a chemical plant

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

never been to LA but I've been led to believe that a 2 hour radius by car translates to roughly 5 miles

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Power Walrus posted:

I'm sure driving is fine if you don't mind sitting on traffic with hundreds of others on LA freeways.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm sure driving is fine if you don't mind sitting on traffic with hundreds of others on LA freeways.

The freeways were what got to me. Every moment of the drive from anywhere to anywhere else looked exactly the same as every other moment. Even the billboards were all the same. It was like the town from FROM but sunnier

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

never been to LA but I've been led to believe that a 2 hour radius by car translates to roughly 5 miles
This is true.

But simultaneously, this is also two hours away (well, the place where I parked before loading a tram and then hiking for several hours was)

This peak is 10,834 feet and that desert valley below is about 500'. The snow-capped peak in the distance of the first pic is San Gorgonio, which is over 11,000 feet. Pictures don't do it justice, but from here you can see over the mountains to the east and into Joshua Tree national park. There were clouds on the coast that day, but when its clear you can see to the ocean and Catalina island to the west.

The variety and proximity of natural beauty here is unrivaled, but it's all been poo poo on by industrial civilization. Much like everywhere else.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
if you have a bad time in LA it’s bc u are uncool

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
read city of quartz

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Living in San Diego in my mid twenties was some of the best times of my life though I do not expect to ever afford living there again

If I had gently caress-off money I'd absolutely just move to Ocean Beach and coast the rest of my days, for the virtue of my soul it is for the best I do not have that kind of money though

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Sausalito looks so pretty, I think you have to be an illuminati member to live there though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cached Money posted:

Sausalito looks so pretty, I think you have to be an illuminati member to live there though
It’s definitely very nice but yes, you probably need to be some kind of Bond villain to afford to live there

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Costal cities ftl.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I grew up in Santa Cruz and had to move to the Central Valley due to costs. I miss it every single day.:(

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

SeANMcBAY posted:

had to move to the Central Valley

One of the saddest phrases in the English language

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cosmik Slop posted:

One of the saddest phrases in the English language

It’s still in the 90s here this week.:smith:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Night of the Living Dead is on youtube (and a million other places) if you wanna rewatch it for free.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Power Walrus posted:

great i love driving for two hours to get to:
  • cold
  • hot/dry; or
  • wet/sandy
once a weekend at most

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Please respect our national parks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Forever driving in circles around Los Angeles to balance my four humours.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can you call up all the LA people that moved to Austin the last few years. Please take them back
lol sorry that is the kind of stupid rear end in a top hat that has always been attracted to austin for entirely of living human memory

bawfuls posted:

There is an alternate reality version of LA with less sprawl and good mass transit,
come on, just name drop it

e:

bawfuls posted:

The variety and proximity of natural beauty here is unrivaled
lol technically true, in that all the better places wouldn’t even consider LA a “rival”

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 5, 2023

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
LA is great, name another place in the world where you can surf and ride bikes year round, ski in the winter, and every good cuisine and every good music tour is available. (I’m counting all of SoCal here)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:whitewater:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

all of that is bougouise btw

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

tylertfb posted:

LA is great, name another place in the world where you can surf and ride bikes year round, ski in the winter, and every good cuisine and every good music tour is available. (I’m counting all of SoCal here)

My mortgage payment is half your monthly rent.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

well why not posted:

all of that is bougouise btw

yeah sorry about your "fun"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

yeah sorry about your "fun"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

walkable cities are fascist, good weather is fascist, diversity is fascist, outdoor recreation is fascist. sorry to spoil your "fun"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And this extends to the idea that Mumford or any other sociologist should make one "cum", as if urbanism is about individual gratification.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 15, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

i say swears online posted:

walkable cities are fascist, good weather is fascist, diversity is fascist, outdoor recreation is fascist. sorry to spoil your "fun"

This but unironically

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://x.com/ettingermentum/status/1710066154062979360?s=20

I feel like this is a group that would appreciate this. Ettingermentum knows his audience. Just realized this reminds me of a cushbomb tweet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

like I said, it sucks here in SoCal please stay away unless you're just hanging out on vacation in which case swing through San Diego and I'll take you for some great tacos and beer

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Have you considered the good burritos you are missing out on?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tylertfb posted:

with the obnoxiously fervent zeal of all adult converts, i direct your attention to The City and County of San Francisco.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

TenementFunster posted:

with the obnoxiously fervent zeal of all adult converts, i direct your attention to The City and County of San Francisco.

Can confirm norcal is the superior cal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Kingfish posted:

This is a weird attempt at an own when you both live in the US because its not like you're posting from some utopian rent controlled enclave lol you just live somewhere people don't want to move to