Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Tosk posted:

re: Sukuna, do we think he was literally born a disfigured dude with 4 arms and 2 mouths? I definitely have been under the interpretation that he did that to himself in his pursuit of ultimate strength.

There’s pretty compelling evidence to suggest that sukuna was a twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

No Wave posted:

Maybe thats the story's intention. But it doesnt fit with Gojo's character to me. He's like the least miserable person alive. He defied the entire JJK power structure. Characters constantly tell us that Gojo wasnt committed to anything when he always did what he thought was right. He constantly talks about how selfish he is but loved the students more than anyone. He dreamed too big thinking he could beat Sukuna AND save Megumi (or earlier thinking he could minimize casualties in Shibuya). And he acts like his 1v1 with Sukuna was selfish but #2 even tells us that anyone else would just get in the way.

Gojo also progressed his jutsu further than anyone alive. If anyone knew who he was it was gojo but yes letting Geto's meat puppet live for no reason always felt odd and maybe thats what we're supposed to focus on.

Gojo was always half-hearted in everything he did. He upended Jujutsu society but he could've always gone further and completely tear down the existing hierarchy that opposed him and his ideals - a thought he freely expressed many times but couldn't bring himself to follow through despite having the capability. Despite his superficial fixation on his students he was also a terrible teacher, downright callous in his expectations out of them, and in his heart he only saw them as a sort of substitute for the work he couldn't bring himself to finish.

What the story diegetically presents us ie with Yuta is that his students wholeheartedly believed in him right to the end, whereas neither himself nor the conjured spirits of his dead peers share that kind of enthusiasm and openly chastise his way of life, and the grotesquely enlightened being that is Sukuna acknowledges how close he managed to get to his level but in the end found himself shackled by a meaningless question of self-identity.

I agree with the reading that Gojo stagnated by trying to live his life post Hidden Inventory pantomiming something he wasn't: the old Geto.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Gojo was always half-hearted in everything he did. He upended Jujutsu society but he could've always gone further and completely tear down the existing hierarchy that opposed him and his ideals - a thought he freely expressed many times but couldn't bring himself to follow through despite having the capability. Despite his superficial fixation on his students he was also a terrible teacher, downright callous in his expectations out of them, and in his heart he only saw them as a sort of substitute for the work he couldn't bring himself to finish.

What the story diegetically presents us ie with Yuta is that his students wholeheartedly believed in him right to the end, whereas neither himself nor the conjured spirits of his dead peers share that kind of enthusiasm and openly chastise his way of life, and the grotesquely enlightened being that is Sukuna acknowledges how close he managed to get to his level but in the end found himself shackled by a meaningless question of self-identity.

I agree with the reading that Gojo stagnated by trying to live his life post Hidden Inventory pantomiming something he wasn't: the old Geto.

This is how I interpreted it as well. The series has beaten us over the head again and again that the only true path to power is to take hold of your desires and act on them. Clinging to anything more than that only makes you weaker within their world because it shackles down your potential.

I like that you brought up Gojo not killing the higher ups or actually taking control like he wanted. It’s something you could argue that if he just acted on his desires , instead of trying to fit a mold of a person he never was, they would all be better off.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Somberbrero posted:

I just don't think Sukuna is interesting.

It doesn't help that his "goal", as he stated this chap, is just kill time doing whatever he wants until he dies . I mean, it's understandable, sure, but it's also pretty uncreative, specially for a guy so creative when it comes down to jujutsu. I also wish we got more of him just being a dick to people, that's when he at his best.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He’s not deep but I enjoy Sukuna. He also made his desire’s clear in the first chapter.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nuebot posted:

Same, he was more interesting when he was just like an intimidating presence in someone else's head. But overall, I just don't really give much of a poo poo about big invincible final villains in shonen series that just kind of nosell everything and everyone for months at a time. It's not even strictly a personality thing because it's not very interesting when they're gloating braggarts either; it's just kind of dull watching a bunch of people fight god until someone also becomes god and beats him.

Then why are you even engaging with this genre

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Art is looking rough, Sukuna is becoming about as interesting as AFO. Gege and Horikoshi high-fiving on the way to the hospital.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

this isn’t an intrinsic part of the genre, it’s a low point/holding pattern that seemingly comes to manga whose artists are running on autopilot, usually because they’re dying of overwork

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i like the calvinball aspect of jjk ("can i do black flash on my kamehameha?" "idk try it :)") but the artwork on this latest chapter was really poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Are people only judging the art from the first linked scans, which were poor quality.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think the art was a problem, but the actions are hard to follow when someone's slowly becoming more and more of just wiggly lines instead of a body. I can parse what each image is, but the transition is where I get a little lost

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What’s up with yujis arms and hands

Bro is turning into piccolo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tosk posted:

That said, are we sure he's dead? I mean the Heian age flashback and Sukuna philosophical monologuing has meant that when it's popped up before but it would be nice if we got visual confirmation.

I'll be honest I love that the last panel Kashimo apparently got while alive is his impending death lol. Just so completely hosed that there's no need to even show the deathblow that probably happened a fraction of a second later

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

So the choices seem to be that to beat Sukuna we're either going to need a huge loophole somewhere in his relationship with Yuji or even Megumi, some rule Kenjaku can exploit, an extra potent helping of the power of friendship, or one of the surviving characters to become a force of nature unto themselves. Maybe all at once to be honest.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The good guys might just lose. I’m here for that.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
It’s funny that the sumo kappa guy and the old nameless katana obsessed dude were further on the path to enlightenment than Gojo. They just had desires that weren’t jujutsu. Rather unlucky since they respawned directly into a sorcerer death match. I doubt they even understood what the hell Kenjaku was talking about when they signed up, only that it was an opportunity to do more sumo/cut things.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'll be honest I love that the last panel Kashimo apparently got while alive is his impending death lol. Just so completely hosed that there's no need to even show the deathblow that probably happened a fraction of a second later

there's probably not even a corpse to show later on, dude just got atomized

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
also i like that curses are such a nebulous concept in JJK. Anything from knowledge to words of affirmation can be a curse. love is a curse, existence is a curse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a curse here, a curse there
a curse for he, for she, why care
a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea
accepting of all that there is and can be

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Honestly what is happening here is completely insane. For some reason after Yorozu appeared everyone lost their established characterization and is suddenly parroting her inane line about what love is? Wish the guy who wrote the first 199 chapters was still writing this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

maybe everyone is coming in to give sukuna a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig hug

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tonfa posted:

Honestly what is happening here is completely insane. For some reason after Yorozu appeared everyone lost their established characterization and is suddenly parroting her inane line about what love is? Wish the guy who wrote the first 199 chapters was still writing this.

It's real weird because Sukuna has been very open about what an rear end in a top hat he is and how much he enjoys it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yuji's Ultimate Weapon: Not giving poo poo about Sukuna learning the concept of love

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jerkface posted:

maybe everyone is coming in to give sukuna a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig hug

Bring it in, guys!!!!

:goku:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just to be clear, though, Yuji's wearing gauntlets in the last page. Probably a cursed tool.

EDIT: And uh, I think someone mentioned the eye slits, but he hasn't had those since Sukuna stopped possessing him?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yuji's Ultimate Weapon: Not giving poo poo about Sukuna learning the concept of love

Ready to kick some rear end!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

EDIT: And uh, I think someone mentioned the eye slits, but he hasn't had those since Sukuna stopped possessing him?

you're right, he hasn't

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blockhouse posted:

Because it's usually only an end-game issue, and some series never quite get that bad even towards the end. Unless you're bleach; then you do it again six years later. Typically in series you have a parade of increasingly strong villains until you reach the inevitable biggest bad guy. Sukuna was always indicated as being like, impossible to defeat; but he wasn't an active combatant for most of the series and he worked great as a looming threat but it was inevitable that he'd step up at some point. In something like Hero Academia, for the most part the series has been pretty good, but the recent like year long fight against three invincible villains has sucked basically all of the life from the story. Naruto had its ups and downs, but the final arc against Obito, Madara and then the moon monster were just a snooze compared to the rest of the series. If a villain is too powerful, it makes most of the fights against them feel pointless after a while, and can even cheapen the victory against them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Art is looking rough, Sukuna is becoming about as interesting as AFO. Gege and Horikoshi high-fiving on the way to the hospital.

The difference is, AFO's being used as a way to hype up more interesting characters. We've been getting some absolutely prime All Might in the last few chapters as he mocks AFO, and Shigaraki's defiance gives him a bit more meat than he had otherwise.

Sakuna, meanwhile, is having characters die just to hype him up more. It's the opposite impact.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
A powerful fightman-antagonist in a fightmanga is pretty crucial in my opinion. Where a lot of shonen comics falter is how the bad guy is ultimately defeated.

But yeah, so far Sukuna has only defeated one important character and that was Gojo (and it was an extremely hardfought and awesome fight). The main protagonist hasnt even gotten his fight against the main bad guy and people are already whining because side characters are dying? At least let the Protagonist and Antagonist fight before we call everything BS

Also:

quote:

The good guys might just lose. I’m here for that.

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 6, 2023

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

A powerful fightman-antagonist in a fightmanga is pretty crucial in my opinion. Where a lot of shonen comics falter is how the bad guy is ultimately defeated.

But yeah, so far Sukuna has only defeated one important character and that was Gojo (and it was an extremely hardfought and awesome fight). The main protagonist hasnt even gotten his fight against the main bad guy and people are already whining because side characters are dying? At least let the Protagonist and Antagonist fight before we call everything BS

Also:

Yeah I'm in the same boat here. Madara/AFO were annoying as hell fights because they took literal years and the whole thing was interspersed with annoying sideplots/-fights I didn't give a poo poo about because the author was obsessed with giving every single drat character their own Big Fighting Moment.

Here we just got Gojo and Sukuna fighting the sickest battle ever and then a side character getting instantly wasted. It doesn't feel similar to me at all.

I'm still holding out hope for Nobara still being alive, Yuji doing a bodyswitch with Sukuna, Nobara nailing Yuji/Sukuna with resonance, Megumi gets his body back, Yuji dies surrounded by his loved ones like the story established from the very beginning. It'd be a bittersweet but fitting and deserved ending imo.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think the problem is that the culling game barely made us care at all about most of the new side characters who've been introduced and who've since had a lot of attention.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It seemed to me that people really liked lawyer guy and jackpot guy but disliked lightning guy

incidentally lightning guy just got seemingly obliterated

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah besides Kashimo everyone introduced that wasnt instantly defeated are pretty well liked in the reader base outside of like...angel and honestly that extended chapter earlier is turning even that around.

Comedy man, Super Lawyer, Hikari. Hell people even liiked sumo man and the katana pervert.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 6, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I just don't think "being the strongest" or "the strongest is lonely" or "love and being the strongest" are interesting or even particularly coherent concepts as gege writes about them, so the fact that this is apparently what really really interests him as we near the end is underwhelming

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I'll admit to being the one person who liked Kashimo but that was the previous :sickos: incarnation in the culling games, not this new notice me sukuna-senpai one

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I do think JJK is a rough weekly read. JJK flows better when I read chapters in bulk. The pacing makes much more sense. Nothing will be as good as Shibuya, but the culling games arc is better than expected on reread.

Also yeah Kashimo was a dork, and I don’t buy he’s dead until I see his body. It’s “probably” but we’ve been faked out before.

Also also if Yuji is showing up to Sukuna Royal rumble with Yuta’s metal arms I’m pumped

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

wikipedia says you are the other 6 death paintings, when did that happen?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Valentin posted:

I just don't think "being the strongest" or "the strongest is lonely" or "love and being the strongest" are interesting or even particularly coherent concepts as gege writes about them, so the fact that this is apparently what really really interests him as we near the end is underwhelming

That's exactly what Sukuna thinks as well. He just said the whole conversation is dumb, which is why I like him.