Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/capfriendly/status/1714336790520234120?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Pens and Canucks exchanged mids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
:sigh:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/TimCPeel20/status/1714262597741002890

Number 1 this move rocks

Number 2: Roenick and Tim Peel together is super cursed goddamn

It's even slower version of the Ryan Johansen Dirty Downshift.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks continue to corner the market on lovely former Pens. So Rutherford and Allvin know there are 30 other teams in the NHL?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Friedman is a drat good bottom pairing dude who's flexible and never tries to do too much. The Pens will miss him. I don't know why they felt like they had to unload him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Friedman is a drat good bottom pairing dude who's flexible and never tries to do too much. The Pens will miss him. I don't know why they felt like they had to unload him.

I am less down on Rathbone than others but he's a puck mover that seems to struggle with decision making speed at the NHL level. I'm not sure what the Pens expect here given that Friedman seems to be at least NHL stop gap level.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
From what I read they traded Friedman as they had too many older/veteran players in WBS and they needed to shed some.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I like the shootout but its time for it to go. There are so few ties that it almost doesn't matter. Extend 3-on-3 OT to 7 or 8 minutes.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Eric the Mauve posted:

Normally I think players coming in real slow on a shootout attempt is a mistake and they'd be better off skating down hard, making one move and taking the shot. But against a goalie who clearly is messed up mentally right now such as Markstrom, slow as possible is a good strategy. Give him all the time in the world to think.

I hear what you're saying but the guy is so broken mentally that kuznetsov could probably have just called his shot ala owen nolan and that's enough to break Markstrom.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think he was trapped up in the NHL because of injury at the start of the season and they knew he wasn't gonna get sent down without getting claimed so they'd have lost him for nothing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Simplex posted:

Don't google Kessel Pol Pot

I did and you’re right, cooking hot dogs like that is a war crime.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Mr. Kite posted:

I like the shootout but its time for it to go. There are so few ties that it almost doesn't matter. Extend 3-on-3 OT to 7 or 8 minutes.

I honestly stop watching when a game goes to SO at this point because in practice they're just dull. The players don't bring half of the energy you see on the average in-game penalty shot. The OT is the final spurt of real effort and then the SO just looks like a bunch of guys who want to go home. It's a wet fart every single time

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

Gotta be a middle ground between the league marketing their star players and this

https://twitter.com/nhldotcom/status/1713983134314717324?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

It's so annoying. I don't remember other guys getting this much coverage, even McDavid, but I could have just forgotten.

There was another headline I saw today that was like "Matthews and the Leafs fall to Bedard" or something and I looked at the boxscore and Bedard didn't have any points.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think he was trapped up in the NHL because of injury at the start of the season and they knew he wasn't gonna get sent down without getting claimed so they'd have lost him for nothing

They did lose him for nothing

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Everyone: THE NHL SUCKS AT MARKETING THEIR STARS

NHL markets their generational rookie in a major market: gently caress THIS SUCKS AND IS ANNOYING

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's so annoying. I don't remember other guys getting this much coverage, even McDavid, but I could have just forgotten.

There was another headline I saw today that was like "Matthews and the Leafs fall to Bedard" or something and I looked at the boxscore and Bedard didn't have any points.

It's because the TV networks obsessively want to push the Blackhawks. Have we all so soon forgotten how for the entire span of like 2010 through 2018 there were only two teams in the NHL as far as the TV networks were aware?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

They did lose him for nothing

It wasn't for the big Pens it was for the Baby Pens who can now dress all the other randoms Dubas added in the off season. While I agree Friedman is definitely a strong tweener there's still a pile of those.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Y'all act like you don't remember Sidney Crosby's face all over your Dempster's bread.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'd prefer the NHL slightly overhyped Bedard and made his games an event, as opposed to McDavid's rookie year which they gave all the excitement of a shameful family secret. It's maybe a bit much to have a Bedard watch blog, but cmon at least they're recognizing he exists and is something special. He's a cool player that does exciting stuff in a flashy way. The NBA isn't being quiet about Wembanyama, why should the NHL be any different about Bedard?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the NHL should be forced to do this for every #1 pick no matter the caliber or the market. we were robbed of the Eye on Juraj or Let's See Alexis

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/PuckPedia/status/1714348218002391259

Claim him and waive Martin, Jarmo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Holy crap Kinkaid is 34???

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's because the TV networks obsessively want to push the Blackhawks. Have we all so soon forgotten how for the entire span of like 2010 through 2018 there were only two teams in the NHL as far as the TV networks were aware?

I very much remember the same three always being on TV; Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh. Toronto if you were in Canada.

Also the NHL tried to market McDavid like this but he is such an emotionless hockey robot that it practically died in the crib. Im still mad at Chicago (they wore patches with "Rocky" on them last night, gently caress that racist pedophile enabling rear end in a top hat), its still good for the game as a whole to try and market the new star player. Lets just hope he actually has a personality other than "lives in a square black pain cube in Edmonton".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/TimCPeel20/status/1714262597741002890

Number 1 this move rocks

Number 2: Roenick and Tim Peel together is super cursed goddamn

He’s moving, this is fine.

The version of this where they stop at the end and try to push it around the goalie is bad though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

The Dirty Burger posted:

Gotta be a middle ground between the league marketing their star players and this

https://twitter.com/nhldotcom/status/1713983134314717324?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

I'm glad the NHL is doing something about keeping a careful protective watch on Bedard after what we learned in recent years about how the Blackhawks organization treats young players

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cartoon Man posted:

Has anybody else tried to copy it yet? He’s been doing this successfully for like more than two years now. Is it hard as gently caress to do?

Panarin does stuff like that too though he usually slows down closer to the goal instead of creeping in slowly the whole way

Also neither here or there but it's a bit weird to me to see Caps fans so salty about Laviolette when he was obviously brought in to try to wring something out of the decaying corpse of that team, not to develop what mid young players the Caps might have.

Letting him go was the right thing to do but the Caps roster just wasn't/isn't that good anymore

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Everyone: THE NHL SUCKS AT MARKETING THEIR STARS

NHL markets their generational rookie in a major market: gently caress THIS SUCKS AND IS ANNOYING

You realize both these things can be true

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

I'd prefer the NHL slightly overhyped Bedard and made his games an event, as opposed to McDavid's rookie year which they gave all the excitement of a shameful family secret. It's maybe a bit much to have a Bedard watch blog, but cmon at least they're recognizing he exists and is something special. He's a cool player that does exciting stuff in a flashy way. The NBA isn't being quiet about Wembanyama, why should the NHL be any different about Bedard?

Blackhawks

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The only thing I can think of is how for a few years Caps games had a second channel that they called the Ovechcam, where you got the regular commentary but the cameraman just followed Ovechkin for the entire game. I think it might have been like a second regional sports network channel though not something the NHL did

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did that for Bedard too during the Bruins game actually. I saw an ad that said a Bedard cam was available on their website or the streaming app or something.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Do they just zoom in on him sitting on the bench for 3-4 minutes at a time?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
That's how the Ovechcam worked, yeah.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Levitate posted:

Panarin does stuff like that too though he usually slows down closer to the goal instead of creeping in slowly the whole way

Also neither here or there but it's a bit weird to me to see Caps fans so salty about Laviolette when he was obviously brought in to try to wring something out of the decaying corpse of that team, not to develop what mid young players the Caps might have.

Letting him go was the right thing to do but the Caps roster just wasn't/isn't that good anymore

It’s been two games one of which they won, clearly they’re absolute dogshit trash and will never be successful this season. Carberry is a total fraud too and should be fired immediately.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s been two games one of which they won, clearly they’re absolute dogshit trash and will never be successful this season. Carberry is a total fraud too and should be fired immediately.

glad you agree with me

but seriously, I ddon't have any complaints about them hiring Carberry. Laviolette wasn't the kind of coach I think you want to start what's eventually going to be a rebuild. Maybe Carberry manages it and sticks on, maybe he's around for 3-4 years as the Caps swim in mediocrity and try to accumulate some decent young players and rebound and then he's fired to bring in someone else who can put it together, who knows. But probably the right move to go with him and if I were a Caps fan my expectations wouldn't be very high as it feels like mostly it'll be the Ovi farewell tour while Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Wilson fart around on the ice and occasionally flash signs of their old skill

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Do they just zoom in on him sitting on the bench for 3-4 minutes at a time?

The Bedard one said it was for when he was on ice.

I didn't actually watch it so no clue though.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the nhl generally sucks at marketing its stars because the stars it produces usually have the personality of drying paint. Of course they have this personality because the second they do anything remotely beyond that they are endlessly criticized by the media and often their own coaches.

Connor Bedard might have a great personality but everything ive seen from him suggests he has fully assimilated to this mentality. His whole "my goal right now is just to make the team" was ridiculous but a huge portion of hockey media loves that poo poo.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

Connor Bedard might have a great personality

He models himself on Sid and has exactly the same personality. Young phenomens are told from a very young age they have to be teammates first and not to show anyone up. It's easier to just be an aw shucks I'm just happy to be here guy than be yelled at by your friends' dads every game growing up because you had the audacity to be better than their son.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because of the way superstars are treated they're either robots or assholes.

We only ever get robots, we need more assholes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

He models himself on Sid and has exactly the same personality. Young phenomens are told from a very young age they have to be teammates first and not to show anyone up. It's easier to just be an aw shucks I'm just happy to be here guy than be yelled at by your friends' dads every game growing up because you had the audacity to be better than their son.

can we just like, obliterate hockey parents as an idea. that seems like it would fix a lot of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if you dont have any hockey parents then who's going to be making all the hockey children? gary bettman killed the stork years ago