Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

probably.

The ventilation system, despite everyones ideas, isnt like a loving high powered vacuum system that can suck the atmosphere out of a room to murder the occupants. annoyingly.

and yet..

quote:

In the previous tooms they did want the windows open to let the moisture escape. But its got kind of colder and wetter in the last couple of weeks...

You typo'd tombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

devicenull posted:

and yet..

You typo'd tombs

I assumed it was an X files reference

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I assumed it was an X files reference
Not even Tooms can squeeze through this home

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It is a conceptually interesting question - when does it become a house that requires airflow as designed, and stop being a building site?

When the electricians come in. They won't come in before it can be locked up.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Careful with moisture levels affecting your timber.

It's a builders' favourite fuckup to plaster the walls, then bang loads of heaters on to dry the plaster out or whatever, but not apparently open the windows? IDK what that's all about maybe "curing" the plaster is a thing or something... anyway wooden windows/doors etc. HATE this one weird trick. With our hardwood windows it'd often turn the white paint yellow due to tannins leeching out of the timber in the high heat/humidity. Or it can cause warping and splitting and stuff. Yellow paint is fixable - you just paint over it with one more coat and it's fine, but if all your timber splits and warps you're a bit hosed.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What about aerosol bricks?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mustache Ride posted:

What about aerosol bricks?

No idea. I used to work making windows and doors. I have never made a brick.

I assume they're relatively waterproof though.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Plaster cures by chemistry magic rather than by drying out, so if you get the water gone too quick it cracks. Our exposed timbers got a bit mildewy but sandpaper fixed that.
I wouldn't fire up the ventilation system until you really have moved in though. It's full of delicate little fans and moving parts which don't appreciate builders dust.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Havent posted in a while. Just been too knackered to face a computer if it wasn't to shitpost.

Plasterers finished up like midweek lastweek. Still ahvent totally got rid off them. All their scaffolding is still piled up outside, and I've sold the leftover bags of muck to them. Like about 30 of them still to collect. ~300quid.

Main room part way through.

Kitchen sink area with just the kd2 parge coat.

Dunno why. But they love trying to sneak away some sockets

Got them back

Halloween posting

all done

skylights

Is it a good job?I dunno. I dunno what level of expectation is legit. Am I like really happy and satisfied? Admittadly, I'm not sure thats possible. But no.

thats the ceiling against the brick wall finish. Not really a "finish" is it.

Like I dunno why I pointed out the details of things like the LED profiles to be met with yeah mate no problem if its just clearly going to be a problem.

My whole plan to airtight the floor to wall junction is basically piss in the wind. Can you get them to plaster fully to the floor of yopu just ask? I don't think so. They just arent interestd in doing anything they havent done to the lowest effort finish previously. Maybe I'm the one with unrealistic expectations? I did explain why I was having fully plastered walls rather than dot and dab to acheive air tightness. lots of nods. And yet...

Bits of mesh... eh

I tried to clarify the plan for the bifold door reveals, that led to the renting the big steel nailgun thing. clearly we havent really come to much of an agreement on how its going to work

plasterboard up there. bit rubbish

dribbles

cos they did the walls first? unlike the other rooms.

poo poo everywhere I need to sand off.

maybe thats normal? Like you just got to do a bunch of work after plasterers finish before you paint. Need to sand a bunch of bits. Like near the doors and LED profiles.

Doing a mist coat paint. People seemed to say you could(should?) go to 50/50 with watering down this priming layer. Tin says 5 to 1 on it so I do that?

brightens everything up straightaway.

This post is boring and whiney.

I promise the next one... will also be a post.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 23, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

see that post was all wrong really. Like shoudl be mega upbeat. woohoo no more blocks inside! All plastered. likle a real house!

I am like that too.

But wallets taken a beating. Mentally too having all these bigger boys on site for like 6 weeks and then... is it good enough?...? dunno

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo man I'd be like, going through the house tagging every defect with blue tape and then getting the plasterers back to fix every fuckup before they get their last payment

Also I wouldn't be having plasterers making GBS threads in my yard, so maybe this is what you get when you don't provide a toilet, I dunno

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
just send the head plasterman this thread

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bunch of cowboys, mate.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
No really.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Nah I'd be mad about that too.

We've got roofers replacing the roof of the complex my house is in at the moment. They're about a month behind the original two month schedule. They've failed to properly secure roofing materials and had them banging around destroying poo poo on at least three separate occasions - today they nearly launched a piece of roofing into the daycare next door. And they've had the gall to complain that individual owners are contacting them rather than going through the body corp. They reckon another "two weeks" to finish the job, so it'll likely be another month.

It's frustrating because there's very little you can do if you hire someone and it turns out they just don't give a poo poo and take no pride in their work.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Splode posted:

It's frustrating because there's very little you can do if you hire someone and it turns out they just don't give a poo poo and take no pride in their work.

This is why you hire a contractor to build your house, who has a history of good work behind them that you can look at and talk to the owners, and who only subcontracts out to tradies that aren't complete fuckups. They get their 20% or whatever and you get exponentially less ballache.

Otherwise, welp best of luck I guess

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Splode posted:

Nah I'd be mad about that too.

We've got roofers replacing the roof of the complex my house is in at the moment. They're about a month behind the original two month schedule. They've failed to properly secure roofing materials and had them banging around destroying poo poo on at least three separate occasions - today they nearly launched a piece of roofing into the daycare next door. And they've had the gall to complain that individual owners are contacting them rather than going through the body corp. They reckon another "two weeks" to finish the job, so it'll likely be another month.

I got some roofers in to repoint ridge tiles on my house during covid, they lifted them all up (every single one), then came down and told me they couldn't be repointed and it would cost 5x as much to put new ones up. Were going to leave a sheet of plastic held down by the tiles they removed, didn't leave me with much choice but to let them (although got the price down).
They then proceeded to chuck the old tiles straight off the roof into the garden below. I heard smashing tiles all day and the lawn was peppered with shrapnel (still discovering new bits two years on). One missed neighbour's car by inches. Got into a fight with the neighbour over access, was calling her (an 80 year old lady) all sorts of obscenities. I had a right go at them about it, told them their strategy was outrageous, threatened to withold payment as they wanted a premium price for a poo poo job, then got a load of abuse myself. Fun times, kept me up at night for ages afterwards fuming about it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is why you hire a contractor to build your house, who has a history of good work behind them that you can look at and talk to the owners, and who only subcontracts out to tradies that aren't complete fuckups. They get their 20% or whatever and you get exponentially less ballache.

Otherwise, welp best of luck I guess

These plasterers were the ones recommended by the neighbour who works for a relatively higher end house building company. He said they wouldn't be cheap but they were who they use.

They were the most expensive of the quotes I received but went with them anyway, due mainly to the recommendation.

I guess this is just as good as they get. I mean I think it's like 99% a good job, it's just a few poo poo bits. Things like when they accidentally took my spotlights, they didn't have any for doing the utility room WC. I offered to get down one of the fluorescents and set it up for them. They said they didn't need it and did it it the dark. It's noticeably shitter in there than anywhere else. Like... That was avoidable.

I didn't want to pay some company to build a house. That's not a self build and they wouldn't build this house the way I want it. I'd rather build it not the way I want it myself.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

These plasterers were the ones recommended by the neighbour who works for a relatively higher end house building company. He said they wouldn't be cheap but they were who they use.

Yeah fair enough, sometimes people are just poo poo/don't care much.

Btw I'm not questioning your decision to self-build, it's a totally legit approach but it's one 99+% of people don't take for those exact reasons. Reading the thread, I am always somewhere between mild awe at what you've pulled off and lmaoing at some of the insane choices, which makes for a great read for me and probably a great supervillain lair for you in the not too distant future

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

what level of finish did you agree with the plasterers?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

You don't need to sand the drippies, just hit them with a pallet knife after your first mistcoat they will chip off no bother.

My rule is anywhere plaster meets plaster is their responsibility, if it looks poo poo then they need to fix it, same if you can see mesh anywhere.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

No levels were ever discussed. Which apparently implicitly means level 4. Which they probably are, except where they aren't.

I've spent quite a lot of time feeling up all the walls. They're nice and smooth, textureless. But kind of bumpy? Undulating. It's difficult to see it but you can feel it. Especially with your tongue.

It's not a normal job as there was no plasterboard involved (in the walls) so they had like 15mm to play with to get it all right.

It's the detailing really that's a bit frustrating. Like having to fill and fix around lots of the sockets and the led profiles. And windows.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've spent quite a lot of time feeling up all the walls. They're nice and smooth, textureless. But kind of bumpy? Undulating. It's difficult to see it but you can feel it. Especially with your tongue.
Please post the recording after you call them to say "hey this wall undulates when I lick it"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Btw I'm not questioning your decision to self-build, it's a totally legit approach but it's one 99+% of people don't take for those exact reasons. Reading the thread, I am always somewhere between mild awe at what you've pulled off and lmaoing at some of the insane choices, which makes for a great read for me and probably a great supervillain lair for you in the not too distant future
Someone mentioned site managers early on, and I feel like (and I'm just a non-professional outside observer here) this thread has been a huge advocate for why most people need some kind of site manager, and why that person needs to (a) understand the project in its entirety and (b) have balls of cast iron.

Not to say 99 hasn't, or that that's a criticism of him - I would have collapsed like a paper towel during the foundation discussions, most people would have given up just after the roof tiles, and am astounded he's kept going this far and now has an actual house, albeit a terrifying one that will end up locking him in and sucking the air out to 'preserve' him safely or something.

E: especially now we know the house undulates when he licks it.

But a site manager's job is to make sure the end result looks good and there's no friction, so all of this debate about "hmm, should I say something about the plastering / the kid running over the underfloor heating with a wheelbarrow / the attempted shoddy corner on the first layer of bricks" is just gone, because the site manager's literal job is to make sure the contractors do their job right, and tell them when they don't on your behalf.

And also presumably know who to threaten to report them to if they do things like, I don't know, brag to each other about taking a poo poo 'somewhere' on site.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 24, 2023

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can you get them to plaster fully to the floor of yopu just ask? I don't think so.

Probably no, not for any price. It is simply Not Done. Finishing to the floor, especially a rough concrete slab, is way more trouble than it's worth, I don't think you're going to convince any experienced plaster to do it. It's at least half the reason trim exists, and is used in most every building built. The bottom 3" is something you'll have to tackle yourself, or hire inexpensive labour. And do it with knee pads. Trust me on the knee pads.

Cracks and bad finish where plaster meets other material (bricks, wood) is expected, on a drywall wall here I'd use tearaway bead, don't know what the modern solution is for plaster.

No wall is ever flat, they just look it. I don't think you can technically do a level 4 finish with plaster on a masonry wall, it would have to be level 5. Just because it's level 5 doesn't mean better quality. Just total coverage with a skim coat.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It's only when you start doing renovations (or self-building a house I suppose) that you come to the realization that every house is a pile of crap held together by shims and scrap material that looks nice in the end because it's quite easy to cover everything over with nice trim.

There is potentially a perfect house out there somewhere. Designed and built by some kind of renaissance man with an obsession for perfection that did literally every bit themselves. Excluding that, every home is built at least partially by paying some lads to do some poo poo that you don't want to do and it's simply not possible to pay someone enough to CARE in the same way that an owner might. You would need to supervise them 100% of the time and have the fortitude to point out and make them redo anything you don't like. Which also might just make them quit.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Phwoar.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HP Lovecraft's "The house that undulates and has scary angles aaaaaaaaaa"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Horatius Bonar posted:

No wall is ever flat, they just look it.

Yeah, flat looking plaster walls can undulate a couple CM. That's totally normal. Flatness in building materials is an illusion.

learn to plaster. you can make it perfectly flat with a skim coat and block sanding with successively larger blocks

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

Flatness in building materials is an illusion.

My skimmed plasterboard walls are flat to the extent that a 1.5 m straight edge against them shows no deviation.

Plasterboard is flat to a tolerance of less than 1mm, over 2.4m.

Float glass is flat to a tolerance of less than 0.1 mm, over 6m.

Modern building materials are ridiculously flat and uniform.

Fortunately for us OP decided to use bonding plaster as an airtight membrane, which has now been ruined by having a massive gap at the bottom.

One way to overcome it is paint the bottom exposed blocks with a tile primer and then use a waterproof tanking solution to create an airtight membrane on the blocks, but as the guy above said, knee pads will be your new friend.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Next up, collect some fern seed, plus some swan's sighs.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Next up, collect some fern seed, plus some swan's sighs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Going to use this build as my CV to perform that exact job for others in the future.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Vim Fuego posted:

you can make it perfectly flat with a skim coat and block sanding with successively larger blocks

yeah I'm sanding my walls with a 123 block

1m × 2m × 3m

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

~Coxy posted:

yeah I'm sanding my walls with a 123 block

1m × 2m × 3m

:yeshaha:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No levels were ever discussed. Which apparently implicitly means level 4.

I think they misunderstood the brief and gave you a 4/10 finish.

Anyway, starting to look dangerously like some kind of living space with plaster on the walls. Good job, even if it's a poo poo job.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

CancerCakes posted:

Fortunately for us OP decided to use bonding plaster as an airtight membrane, which has now been ruined by having a massive gap at the bottom.

One way to overcome it is paint the bottom exposed blocks with a tile primer and then use a waterproof tanking solution to create an airtight membrane on the blocks, but as the guy above said, knee pads will be your new friend.

Can he not squirt some kind of low expanding/flexible foam along the base to try and seal it, or use a sealant like what is demonstrated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQj1wPyvsio

Edit: I'm on mobile. This may not be the video I was looking for, but Risinger had another video using some sort of sealant that's applied from a sausage tube/caulking gun that could fill gaps and was air tight and flexible.

Or he could've done something like this before he plastered, or maybe he can do it post plaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYugiSwWoPk

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 25, 2023

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Getting the mudslingers to finish within six inches of the floor is a minor miracle. Plastering is also a manual process judged by eyeball, so it prioritises smooth over flatness or straightness. Undulations are totally normal.
We also had to clear out the sockets. And also patch where the plaster fell off the board screw heads. And patch where I drilled holes in the wrong place for lights, or overtorqued a plasterboard fitting and ripped it out. Or bumble-hosed in a downlighter and made the hole a bit big. Or got carried away with the flush-cutter when I was breaking through into the eaves.
Point is, it's not finished yet but it's looking OK.

We got our floor to wall junction airtight with the parge coat and screed but I went round afterwards and covered the junction point with some of the miles and miles of spare airtightness tape we had. It meant a lot of time on hands and knees with a wallpaper scraper hacking off snots and loose bits. And was probably pointless for me.
You could probably do the same thing but the floor slab might need a bit of smoothing too? Maybe you could go round it with some levelling compound or something.Tescon vana tape comes in rolls 100mm wide so you'll be able to bridge the gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012