Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy4YHFtM4-Z/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D

Confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Giant Wet Fart Sound at the Terrifier 3 announcement.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Looking forward to 4 hours of slashin

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Terrifier 4 will be directed by Bela Tarr and feature a scene of rigor mortis setting in the corpse of one of Arts victims in uncut real time.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
When Evil Lurks is brutal. It doesn't have the comedy that was splashed around in Terrified and is super depressing. Would recommend.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hollismason posted:

Witches don’t like Terrifier so it makes sense.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

When Evil Lurks is brutal. It doesn't have the comedy that was splashed around in Terrified and is super depressing. Would recommend.
I wasn't a huge fan of either film but I did think they were fun and brutal in bits, some nice ideas...I did actually appreciate how self-serious and dour When Evil Lurks was.

Hollismason posted:

honestly the more I read about this series the less I'm into it

i guess i oughta find out for myself but i'm not sure i want to

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 27, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Terrified, not Terrifier.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Terrified, not Terrifier.
oh sorry, I wasn't confused, i just structured my post in a confusing way, I was just responding to the Terrifier talk with that second part.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Man, why do people act like The Haunting (1999) is bad?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Haters gonna hate -- I rewatched it recently and it was much better than I remembered it being back in 1999.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lords of Salem was great incidentally, I'm glad the thread love for it convinced me to get past my distaste for Rob Zombie (which mostly just stems from me finding The Devil's Rejects incredibly loving lame and obnoxious). Lotta fun but more than anything I loved the cast (I mean, except for the terrifyingly-dreadlocked lead, not sure how she got the part). I had no idea that was Meg Foster from They Live, she just about drat near steals the whole show with her cackling antics but all the witches are great. Judy Geeson, Patricia Quinn, Dee Wallace...
I also appreciated that the film is mostly just this incredible build up and then just like, 10 minutes of batshit insanity.. Some compelling images, some not, but enough of it worked.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 27, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It would be wild if that director doubled down on his comments and have art the clown carve slurs into minorities in the new one.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ruddiger posted:

It would be wild if that director doubled down on his comments and have art the clown carve slurs into minorities in the new one.
S. Craig Zahler would come down on him so hard. Stay out of my territory!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gripweed posted:

It’s fine. Not really my thing, but pretty well done. Really great cast. Some great kills. Solid B, maybe a B+.

Every single time I change strings on my instrument, I think God it would suck if one of these snapped like in The Haunting and got me right in the eye. And that’s a big accomplishment in itself ; I have to change those fuckers almost every other week.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gripweed posted:

The Haunting and House On Haunted Hill were both awesome sister movies especially if you were like 14 years old

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Gripweed posted:

According to the internet, the idea was that it would be about Jay and Paul trying to trace down the chain to see if they can find anyone who knows more about the monster. Which would be different but could be good in a red string and newspaper clippings on the wall, Mark Ruffalo holding a document saying "They knew! They knew the whole time and they lied about it!" kind of way

That would suck, the ending is deliberately ambigious and you can leave it thinking that they are still being followed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

The Haunting and House On Haunted Hill were both awesome sister movies especially if you were like 14 years old

Which is the one with the fake out elevator ride at the beginning?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
House on Haunted Hill. Geoffrey Rush was a lot of fun in that (as he is in everything he's in). And yeah they were a fun pair of films to watch as a kid, I remember the camcorder scene in Haunted Hill scaring the poo poo out of me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That was so loving scaring the implication of just being sucked up into the house was existential

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Punkin Spunkin posted:

honestly the more I read about this series the less I'm into it

i guess i oughta find out for myself but i'm not sure i want to

Does the quote I saw about wanting to have Art in the second movie make a balloon animal out of the one guys penis "too much" also work into this?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ruddiger posted:

Or not kill or hurt even one single woman. Show that Art has a notebook where he ticks off things he wants to do to men and to women, and the women list is all done. Now it's 3 hours of killing guys by tying their ding dongs to a handle in a revolving door that goes really fast.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Gripweed posted:

The Haunting (1999) is a land of contrasts, and like others here I first watched it when I was 12 and still sometimes think about it.

Cons:

-The Haunting of Hill House is a very sad novel with a famously unhappy ending, about a repressed shut-in who tragically finds that she can't form genuine connections with other human beings. The Haunting (1999) ends with Nell heroically saving her new friends by yelling at her undead great-granddad that she no longer fears him.
- The Haunting of Hill House is about inhuman architectural malevolence and its impact on generations of residents rather than individual ghosts - a fresh and interesting take that went on to heavily inspire other writers such as Nigel Kneale. The Haunting (1999) opts for an approach where the good child ghosts are battling the bad Palpatine ghost.
- Neeson looks tired and upset throughout.

Pros:

- The spooky CGI house makes an evil frown at one point.
- Neeson looks tired and upset throughout.
- Owen Wilson's head.
- When Owen Wilson loses his head, Neeson gently winces and turns slightly away, but does not otherwise move or react.
- Great companion piece to the 1995 Sierra adventure-game Phantasmagoria.
- Unlike the famously ambiguous and subtle work of horror fiction that it adapts, The Haunting (1999) ends by objectively confirming that heaven is real.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

grobbo posted:

Pros:

- When Owen Wilson loses his head, Neeson gently winces and turns slightly away, but does not otherwise move or react.

Holy cow there is a lot more going on in that scene than I remember. I think I'm coming around on The Haunting 1999.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ffGVe63c0

Also it is unfair to say that he does not otherwise react, because he also sneaks another peek.

Dr. Video Games 0069 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 27, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

Us Artists are excited

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Or not kill or hurt even one single woman. Show that Art has a notebook where he ticks off things he wants to do to men and to women, and the women list is all done. Now it's 3 hours of killing guys by tying their ding dongs to a handle in a revolving door that goes really fast.
You need to pitch this in an elevator to somebody asap

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Art stabs a guys penis through the tip and cuts it off and rubs it on a window and that guy’s shirt said just the tip lol

Art is a mine he knows good comedy

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hot take: the 2013 remake of Evil Dead is better than both Evil Dead (1981) and Evil Dead 2 (1987) because it is not a comedy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gripweed posted:

Because it's not The Haunting. It's one of those cases where the movie would be well enough regarded in its own right if it hadn't tried to hang on the coattails of a greater film.

I've mentioned this before, but I'm also given to understand that due to a rights acquisition fuckup they could use the title and the character names in the production but were not allowed to reproduce any scenes from the 1963 movie. So it was even more pointless to call it an adaptation of Jackson's novel as the Wise movie hewed quite closely to the text.

The house was really lovely though. Can't fault that at all.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like Art's evolution in getting sillier. I want him full looney tunes, Freddy's Dead style in the third.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've always heard pumpkinhead 4 was real bad but I saw this supercut of all the kills and it looks like a loving hoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3lo8WUntFE

Granted I've seen all the good parts now, but I have half a mind to track it down and watch the whole thing

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Lords of Salem was great incidentally, I'm glad the thread love for it convinced me to get past my distaste for Rob Zombie (which mostly just stems from me finding The Devil's Rejects incredibly loving lame and obnoxious). Lotta fun but more than anything I loved the cast (I mean, except for the terrifyingly-dreadlocked lead, not sure how she got the part). I had no idea that was Meg Foster from They Live, she just about drat near steals the whole show with her cackling antics but all the witches are great. Judy Geeson, Patricia Quinn, Dee Wallace...
I also appreciated that the film is mostly just this incredible build up and then just like, 10 minutes of batshit insanity.. Some compelling images, some not, but enough of it worked.

Check out the novelization, it's written by Rob Zombie and is a "director's cut" of the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Check out the novelization, it's written by Rob Zombie and is a "director's cut" of the movie.

Co-written by goated horror writer Brian K. Evenson!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Hot take: the 2013 remake of Evil Dead is better than both Evil Dead (1981) and Evil Dead 2 (1987) because it is not a comedy.

you’re lucky this thread isn’t in the Haunted Clubhouse or this post would’ve earned you a Sixer of the Damned

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

i was gonna say i was impressed that people still have the old timey name Zelda but then I saw she (the director) got named after the videogame

ya it’s Robin Williams’s daughter.

I have mixed feelings on that trailer but also I’ve loved Kat Newton ever since Detective Pikachu (lol) so I’ll prob see it. whatever. new Diablo Cody slop, sure!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

MrMojok posted:

This is a hot take because I’ve never considered 81 Evil Dead a comedy

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MrMojok posted:

It is pretty funny though.

Deadite posted:

This is a hot take because I’ve never considered 81 Evil Dead a comedy

It is pretty funny though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

his actress/director relationship with his wife reminds me of Polanski and Emmanuelle Seigner too...just obviously way less creepy...

the wholesome version of that was Roberto Benigni always casting his wife as MAMA MIA DA MOST BEAUUUUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WOOORLD

Tbf Rob and Sheri is also the wholesome version

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rob Zombie is just the peak Wife Guy, and it's endearing as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s not just that he is a wife guy, he utterly refuses to make a movie without his wife in a major role. It’s honestly impressive- good for him. He has the cache to do whatever he wants and he uses it, I only wish he would get even weirder and bolder. Lords of Salem was a high point and I want to see more of that.