Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

right arm posted:

Lol modelos full of piss

still better than water bottles full of dip spit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a table saw? What features do I really want for ripping plywood and maybe hardwood planks?

I really want one for this flooring project since I can't really get nice flat cuts with my circular saw or by scoring and snapping. Would this one do alright? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-15-amp-table-saw-with-lightweight-stand-10-in-0556755p.0556755.html?rq=table+saw#srp

I would love to buy a used one but there haven't been any within an two hours for months!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a table saw? What features do I really want for ripping plywood and maybe hardwood planks?

I really want one for this flooring project since I can't really get nice flat cuts with my circular saw or by scoring and snapping. Would this one do alright? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-15-amp-table-saw-with-lightweight-stand-10-in-0556755p.0556755.html?rq=table+saw#srp

I would love to buy a used one but there haven't been any within an two hours for months!

The woodworking thread has opinions on table saws, but the short version is: you get what you pay for. It sounds like what you need is a "job site" saw (or "contractor saw"), a.k.a. a lightweight saw with a small bed, built more for portability than power or precision. The good news is that those are the cheaper models. They're just not going to be as nice as a proper woodshop table saw. In particular, you won't be breaking down large plywood sheets on one of those.

I'd go ask the thread, but be clear about the specific task you need to address, as well as any plans you might have for the tool after that.

Also be aware that you want to use a different blade for plywood than for solid wood. Also that the blade that ships with the saw sucks (they always do), and that a bad blade will make your life unpleasant.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I always liked the DIABLO blades when I worked construction.

e: just got a Google ad for them. I posted this on my phone! What the fuckkkk

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 27, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

tuyop posted:

I recently got this Kreg track saw jig because I needed to make some very straight long cuts and it was worth its weight in gold. Depending on how many cuts you need to do, this could work in place of a table saw:

https://www.kregtool.com/shop/cutting/circular-saw-cutting/accu-cut/KMA2700.html

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Does OP have a circular saw already?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Does OP have a circular saw already?

Sounds like they do. They could make a diy guide also instead of buying one. As mentioned, a good blade is really key.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/house-one/21357508/diy-circular-saw-guide

I did this for ripping LVP flooring. I only had to contend with boards that were 24" long.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I bought a 10inch ryobi table saw for $20 on facebook marketplace and I can never get the gate straight so I just continue to use my circular saw for everything.

So like, don't do that.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
The problem with the cheap job site saws is that the fences are often garbage so getting a nice rip can be tough. Nicer than trying to freehand with the a circular saw but not great.

I bet the Wen 6.5 inch track saw plus some 110 inch tracks would cost about as much as that table saw and do the two things you want to do (break down plywood and rip lvp) a lot better than that table saw.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-CT1065-6-5-Inch-Sidewinder-Circular/dp/B07VFXFTVP

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

tuyop posted:

So I did that and the water seems to pass through unimpeded!
Congrats?

It's obviously not everyone, it's going to be a combination of what you put in your laundry especially those sheets. I personally like the sheets as I live in an area with super low humidity, especially in the winter and it helps with the static and our towels don't seem to have an issue from with water absorption, but I certainly have used towels that have and it is not enjoyable.

If you don't use the sheets regularly, it's probably not going to be an issue for you. But if a person does use them regularly and has for a long time, it can have a strong chance of slowly but surely effecting dryer performance and deserves a look-see and clean.

A search for this will find several results, with most remedies are just as described here: Hot water, mild detergent and a soft brush/cloth.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Danhenge posted:

The problem with the cheap job site saws is that the fences are often garbage so getting a nice rip can be tough. Nicer than trying to freehand with the a circular saw but not great.

I bet the Wen 6.5 inch track saw plus some 110 inch tracks would cost about as much as that table saw and do the two things you want to do (break down plywood and rip lvp) a lot better than that table saw.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-CT1065-6-5-Inch-Sidewinder-Circular/dp/B07VFXFTVP

Thanks everyone for the great reviews and suggestions!

What kind of stuff would a table saw be absolutely necessary for? We have some woodworking planned in the near future. Think custom drawers and a bench seat for our bay window kind of thing.

So I don’t waste a bunch of time and money. The LVP is 48” and plywood is 96” and I think is going to be the largest thing we rip ourselves maybe ever.

The track saw idea is great, I’m really happy with this cordless subcompact Ridgid I got on sale, would really make the track saw a winner. So do I need this Kreg rip-cut guide:

Kreg KMA2685 Rip-Cut Circular Saw Guide https://a.co/d/bm8Qa3Y

And this track:

Kreg KMA2700 Circular Saw Track (Circular Saw Track) https://a.co/d/9RNkb6X

And these two will give each other parts so I can rip along the length of the track? or do I buy another set of tracks? Are the tracks standard?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

tuyop posted:

Thanks everyone for the great reviews and suggestions!

What kind of stuff would a table saw be absolutely necessary for? We have some woodworking planned in the near future. Think custom drawers and a bench seat for our bay window kind of thing.

So I don’t waste a bunch of time and money. The LVP is 48” and plywood is 96” and I think is going to be the largest thing we rip ourselves maybe ever.

The track saw idea is great, I’m really happy with this cordless subcompact Ridgid I got on sale, would really make the track saw a winner. So do I need this Kreg rip-cut guide:

Kreg KMA2685 Rip-Cut Circular Saw Guide https://a.co/d/bm8Qa3Y

And this track:

Kreg KMA2700 Circular Saw Track (Circular Saw Track) https://a.co/d/9RNkb6X

And these two will give each other parts so I can rip along the length of the track? or do I buy another set of tracks? Are the tracks standard?

Those are both basically the same tool except one relies on the edge of whatever you're cutting to be your straight edge vs the track being the straight edge. The track jig is going to be a lot more versatile. I have the second linked item and have used it to cut full sheets of plywood. You don't get enough track for the entire 96" so you will have to measure, cut half way, stop your saw, push the track down, continue cutting. You could pick up additional sections of track (like this package) if you wanted to be able to cut the full width in one go without stopping.

I have been using this during a kitchen reno, cutting panels and toe kicks and it has been so so easy to use. Table saws kinda freak me out and I did not want to spend the money on a Saw Stop or equivalent not-poo poo table saw, and so far this jig has fulfilled all my needs.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 27, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for clarifying, I ordered the first link.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Now we’re getting somewhere with our 14’x18’ screened in addition/patio rebuild.

Yes the exhaust vents are being moved, I’d rather not have an icicle feature in the winter.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is all super helpful for planning the networking project, thanks everyone!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Now we’re getting somewhere with our 14’x18’ screened in addition/patio rebuild.

Yes the exhaust vents are being moved, I’d rather not have an icicle feature in the winter.

Aww. Just leave your furnace exhaust there. You can call it your sleeping room!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

kid sinister posted:

Aww. Just leave your furnace exhaust there. You can call it your sleeping room!

Nice and peaceful

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That extension would look amazing in a workplace accident recreation video if you leave the vents

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Inner Light posted:

Nice and peaceful

I don't know, the plan sounds like a bit of a headache. Maybe that sense would get better if I did a deep dive into the details.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thinking of putting a wall between my kitchen and what was a dining room, but now it’s a playroom/office.

The current playroom had two openings into it: the kitchen via a small doorway, and the foyer which is large enough for double doors.

Reason we’re thinking of this is mainly to facilitate guests. Right now, our 3 bedroom house is fully utilized with me and my wife and our 2 kids in their separate bedrooms. When someone spends the night, it’s in the playroom with zero privacy. If we close off the single width door with a wall and french doors for the double door entry, at least it’s some privacy. Bonus points for when the kids grow up, we now have a full time office which is separated a bit more formally than it is currently.

Framing out a door doesn’t seem like a problem, nor does making a wall. It should just be some studs and drywall and a piece of baseboard trim, I would think.

The one negative I’m thinking is the kitchen looks weird if we put up a wall. It would make sense if we continues the cabinets and counter, but as is, it’s just an empty void. We’re not planning on remodeling the kitchen anytime soon, so it will just sit as an empty space. I’m not sure if that would affect resale or not.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In terms of reselling, I don’t think the blank wall would be an issue (you could always put an island on wheels, a bakers’ rack, shelves, etc.). But I think most people looking for family homes still consider it a negative to not have a dining room.

You probably also won’t be able to advertise it as a 4BR unless you get it done officially with the city and jump through hoops that may or may not make sense. There may also be additional requirements for it to be a legal bedroom, like a closet, fire escape route, etc., depending on local code. I mean a 3BR+office is still fine obviously, but I would expect less than a 4BR.

You could also always just put a door in the frame to give your guests some privacy without worrying about the eventual future sale

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Anne Whateley posted:

You probably also won’t be able to advertise it as a 4BR unless you get it done officially with the city and jump through hoops that may or may not make sense. There may also be additional requirements for it to be a legal bedroom, like a closet, fire escape route, etc., depending on local code. I mean a 3BR+office is still fine obviously, but I would expect less than a 4BR.

All of this has been true in my experience. Several years ago I partitioned off a very large loft we had on the second floor to make a 4th bedroom. It was about as simple as possible -- a couple walls, a closet was required (which allowed me to build a linen closet on the other side of the room (I made a hallway to the other bedrooms and bathroom).

To do that, I had to file with the county building inspector, and they required me to bring the area up to current code. Thankfully, I wasn't changing much. I did have to add a number of outlets along the new wall and change some ceiling lighting wiring, I also had to change the circuit breaker for that area to a AFCI one. A new smoke detector wired in with the rest of them was another requirement.

The actual construction wasn't hard, just partition walls, some ceiling blending, making sure everything was square, level, and true. Finish work with drywall and trim, hanging closet doors, etc.

It needed inspection twice, the first time for electrical rough, the second for final. Neither took more than 5 minutes.

After that, I then had to go to the county auditor to get the data sheet of the house changed from 3 bedroom to 4 bedroom, and that was an easy process but took several weeks to process.

The thing I see that may be weird with OP's configuration is the full height window that seems to be in the front of the house. That seems odd for a bedroom.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anne Whateley posted:

In terms of reselling, I don’t think the blank wall would be an issue (you could always put an island on wheels, a bakers’ rack, shelves, etc.). But I think most people looking for family homes still consider it a negative to not have a dining room.

You could also always just put a door in the frame to give your guests some privacy without worrying about the eventual future sale

meatpimp posted:

All of this has been true in my experience. Several years ago I partitioned off a very large loft we had on the second floor to make a 4th bedroom. It was about as simple as possible -- a couple walls, a closet was required (which allowed me to build a linen closet on the other side of the room (I made a hallway to the other bedrooms and bathroom).

To do that, I had to file with the county building inspector, and they required me to bring the area up to current code. Thankfully, I wasn't changing much. I did have to add a number of outlets along the new wall and change some ceiling lighting wiring, I also had to change the circuit breaker for that area to a AFCI one. A new smoke detector wired in with the rest of them was another requirement.

The actual construction wasn't hard, just partition walls, some ceiling blending, making sure everything was square, level, and true. Finish work with drywall and trim, hanging closet doors, etc.

It needed inspection twice, the first time for electrical rough, the second for final. Neither took more than 5 minutes.

After that, I then had to go to the county auditor to get the data sheet of the house changed from 3 bedroom to 4 bedroom, and that was an easy process but took several weeks to process.

The thing I see that may be weird with OP's configuration is the full height window that seems to be in the front of the house. That seems odd for a bedroom.

I’m not trying to code it as a bedroom. It’s small, there’s no room to add a closet, and that full height window doesn’t allow for much privacy (we have blinds which do work great though). If anything, it would be advertised as an office. We’d just use it additionally for a guest to stay for a night or two, hence the need for privacy. Like, throw an air mattress in there for a few days.

We do have a dining room already off of the other side of the kitchen, with room for a six seat dining table and coffee bar. The room we’d convert to an office was just the formal dining room which we have no need for.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 29, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nwin posted:

I’m not trying to code it as a bedroom. It’s small, there’s no room to add a closet, and that full height window doesn’t allow for much privacy (we have blinds which do work great though). If anything, it would be advertised as an office. We’d just use it additionally for a guest to stay for a night or two, hence the need for privacy. Like, throw an air mattress in there for a few days.

We do have a dining room already off of the other side of the kitchen, with room for a six seat dining table and coffee bar. The room we’d convert to an office was just the formal dining room which we have no need for.

Do I see a Niche? Show the rest of your coffee bar coward

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

nwin posted:

Thinking of putting a wall between my kitchen and what was a dining room, but now it’s a playroom/office.

The current playroom had two openings into it: the kitchen via a small doorway, and the foyer which is large enough for double doors.

Reason we’re thinking of this is mainly to facilitate guests. Right now, our 3 bedroom house is fully utilized with me and my wife and our 2 kids in their separate bedrooms. When someone spends the night, it’s in the playroom with zero privacy. If we close off the single width door with a wall and french doors for the double door entry, at least it’s some privacy. Bonus points for when the kids grow up, we now have a full time office which is separated a bit more formally than it is currently.

Framing out a door doesn’t seem like a problem, nor does making a wall. It should just be some studs and drywall and a piece of baseboard trim, I would think.

The one negative I’m thinking is the kitchen looks weird if we put up a wall. It would make sense if we continues the cabinets and counter, but as is, it’s just an empty void. We’re not planning on remodeling the kitchen anytime soon, so it will just sit as an empty space. I’m not sure if that would affect resale or not.

I think your problems are more easily, cheaply, and reversibly solved with doors. Even if that isn't a standard door size and you have to get that + French doors custom made, I think you'll still come out ahead and it will be better all around.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nwin posted:

Oh, yeah. drat near nobody needs a formal dining room, any more than they need a parlor.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Home Zone: Show the rest of your coffee bar coward

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I wrapped my fridge. It's real classy in here.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It’s so odd, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a house with two dining rooms. I’ve seen plenty with two kitchens, but never two dining rooms

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

It’s so odd, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a house with two dining rooms. I’ve seen plenty with two kitchens, but never two dining rooms

At least in expanded colonials around here there's the legit formal dining room that is called as such and then the part of the addition/where you took out the parlor for where you actually eat normally and has become known as the "breakfast room" for some reason. Whether it's still a separate room or part of you kitchen now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

VelociBacon posted:

Do I see a Niche? Show the rest of your coffee bar coward

Yes. That’s a keurig in the middle. My wife drinks crappy water and she’s fine with it. She’ll take an americano if I’m making it or the moccamaster, but 9 times out of 10, she’s putting in a k-cup or the cold brew I make her.

Edit: also leaning towards turning the door frame into a wall and then putting a butcher block table in its space with some shelves above it for cookbooks. I’ll put French doors in the other entryway but drat I had no idea they starts at around $1000.

nwin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 29, 2023

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

setting a moccamaster on a leviton timed smart socket has been our compromise between a keurig and my ridiculous setup living in our kitchen lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Had the asbestos removed from my house! Fortunately most of it was friable ductwork behind drywall. Though a minority of it was a transite flue on the water heater, which I guess I should turn off given the current garage venting situation:

Get to see the beefy wires which feed my double oven and I think previous traditional electric cooktop, though it's been a gas one for a long time. Unclear where they all go though.

Enhance

The rest of the damage, not super interesting. The last bundle of thick aluminum wires is actually over my front door, which is also a gaping maw now which used to be plenum drywall. Unclear why the outlet in the living room was killed, it's bent in an odd direction and the faceplate is snapped in half. Not pictured: 3 water bottles and an empty monster can on my back porch.
https://imgur.com/a/3LFwnnH

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

StormDrain posted:

This is a genius idea.

(I just spent 30 mins scraping off fridge magnets with a razor blade and the finish looks garbage)

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

StormDrain posted:

What product did you use?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

StormDrain posted:

You wrapped your fridge but didn't go for an anime waifu design on it? Disgraceful.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Nth'ing that this is awesome.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Can someone tell me if the temperature of my attic is too hot?

The attic is fully finished and looks like any other room. It is basically the third floor of the house and has a short-ish ceiling with two large sloping parts that start at around 3' and go up to the ceiling height of maybe 6' 8".

It was raining and cloudy and mild today. It is nightime, raining a bit, 54 degrees outside, and 84-85 in the attic. Second floor is 77, living room is 76, and the heat is off. There is a heating vent on the floor and a return vent on the side of the wall.

Sometimes, the attic is actually the coldest room in the house. The temperature now reminds me of the temperature during the summer when the (inadequate) cooling is on (but it is on during the summer).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do you have any insulation between your ceiling and the attic? Any of your vents seem super anemic? You could just be leaking heat via the ceiling/lights/every poorly sealed hole around various vents and mysteries.

You also could have a detached or broken duct.

I would either get up there and trace everything (all the ducts) or hire someone to do it. You will do better with a flir style camera that outputs a color picture. If you call it an energy efficiency audit someone might do all this for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DoubleT2172 posted:

What product did you use?

The cheapest vinyl from eBay! Rose gold. 60"x72".

SpartanIvy posted:

You wrapped your fridge but didn't go for an anime waifu design on it? Disgraceful.

That's just for my Gran Turismo liveries.