Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

why is most of the world so opposed to the king of cladding options, vertical profile corrugated steel cladding?

pissing around repainting your weatherboards every 10 years, who has the time

That's very likely what I'm going to use on my workshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
Slate cladding is on the rise for new builds in Denmark. Seeing more and more of it. Not sure of the cost though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

JunkDeluxe posted:

Slate cladding is on the rise for new builds in Denmark. Seeing more and more of it. Not sure of the cost though.

Very similar to the old asbestos cement tiles, just not ... you know.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How do they fare in a good storm?

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

goatface posted:

How do they fare in a good storm?

Haven’t heard of any problems. I live by the beach, and many people have this type of cladding.
We get maybe 2-3 storms a year, so I believe it’s fine.

It’s also popular in Norway, and they have rougher weather than us. Especially along the coast.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The old asbestos cement tile (eternitt etc) is stereotypically the house cladding of choice in the most weather-beaten little fishing villages on the North Sea coast, and those slate tiles seem to be very similar.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was mostly wondering because the little clips used to hold them on look puny. But if it works, cool.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Await my next update. Ripped all the cladding off. Gone pebbledash.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

JunkDeluxe posted:

Wow, I really like the way that looks!

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

10 Beers posted:

Wow, I really like the way that looks!

Agree - but you really have to design it well. Some houses goes all in on the black cladding, and you can quickly go full retard

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Reporting that house for gimply writhing on the floor

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Reporting that house for gimply writhing on the floor

That house in Somerset?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

JunkDeluxe posted:

Agree - but you really have to design it well. Some houses goes all in on the black cladding, and you can quickly go full retard

can't find a pic now but there's a bunch of places over here where it looks like they just had some spare rooftop tiles and decided to use them as cladding instead

njan this is NOT a suggestion

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

JunkDeluxe posted:

lmao you can't just slap a normal map on a PlayStation game and call it a HD Remaster.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

JunkDeluxe posted:

That looks like it would be wonderful in the summer. Increasing number of heatwaves, and somebody clads a house in a material that looks at the sun and shouts "WITNESS MEEEEE!!!!!" Makes sense.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's a house that looks like it has a black and red bathroom inside with gravel under the tub.

I like it.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

JunkDeluxe posted:

Wouldn't water just go in through the vertical seam, run down the inside, then pool on top of the next panel down which would be right up against the wood?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

JunkDeluxe posted:

I don't think aerated cement blocks could support the weight of slate cladding.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Wifi Toilet posted:

Wouldn't water just go in through the vertical seam, run down the inside, then pool on top of the next panel down which would be right up against the wood?

Yes, some water could do that. There may be material like plastic or metal behind the seams to prevent this, but we don't see it installed in the photo. If not, the horizontal wood looks pressure treated so it's ok with some water. The vertical wood strips are a rain screen system, providing a drainage plane down the face of the wall along the water barrier. Any water that gets behind the slate has a way down and out that will prevent it pooling anywhere, and airflow to dry it. But if there was no rain screen, yes, in a wet climate something like that could be a problem.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
The upper floor of our house is clad in clay hanging tiles, fairly common around these parts.

The house is 50 years old, we've had to replace the tiles under the eaves but otherwise everything still in place and no leaks

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A place just round the corner from us had slate cladding put on a few months ago, and there was definitely a water resistant layer that went underneath.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

vanity slug posted:

can't find a pic now but there's a bunch of places over here where it looks like they just had some spare rooftop tiles and decided to use them as cladding instead

njan this is NOT a suggestion

I'm suggesting it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Houses with slate / tile fascias on my dog walk:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Houses with slate / tile fascias on my dog walk:

Those are not good looking houses

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
When a house looks like that it’s sick and it needs to see the contractor.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Lived in a maisonette of this construction for ten years. On one hand, it was a 1960s ex-council housing build to Parker Morris standards with masses of space. On the other hand, the concrete tiles I think are fixed back to a thin wooden frame with tar paper behind, then a suggestion of insulation, then the plasterboard. Those were the warm walls. The build quality was amusing. Not a single right angle in the place, and every single hinge, socket or light fitting had one of the screws missing like the builder was skimming off material to build a whole extra house.
Asbestos tiles under the carpet, artex on the ceiling. The bricks are characterful too. They're either as tough as tank armour or explode into dust at the first hint of a drill. Fun times.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Endjinneer posted:

The bricks are characterful too. They're either as tough as tank armour or explode into dust at the first hint of a drill. Fun times.
Yeah, walking round the area they seem to have been done in batches. Half of them are fine, better looking than the new builds round the corner. But there are a bunch where the brickwork on the garden walls and garages are just crumbling completely.

Most of the houses have white plastic fascias here though, so the tile/slate ones actually look a LOT better.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've had this post in the barrel for a few days but have had all sorts of nonsense going on.

Like driving north to only fall over in the mud, have a strop and drive all the way back again the same night.

I feel like the claddings gone up too easy? i mean I know its all going to warp and fall back off again. but still.

so up at the top the second to last board, or possibly the last board, has tobe cut around each of the rafter ends. Then the last board or the minus 1 board bits have to be stuck in seperately.

I can't get the nail gun in there to engage the firing mechanism. But I've got some cheeky headless screws I can use.

Then I've got to go all the way round, measure up and install that top (ish) long board with cutouts for each rafter end. I've made up some smaller holder spacers to rest the board on and mark up where to do cuts

lol that board is sat on the chopsaw but thats just to balance it somewhere, I used my new cheap poo poo jigsaw to do the cutouts.

did it fit first time? lets just say yes.

which works on the backside. but like everywhere else theres windows and stuff that complicate things.

looks pretty sweet

WTF

why are the windows like this?

opened up all the bifoldage just because i can

look how many cars I can park in my lounge

roughly half the broken ones I have on site.

certain places present certain challenges. like I've got to slink wiring for lights round to where I want them outside from where it made sense (lol) to exit them from the envelope. but also I've got window top reveals that need fixing up. a balancing act.

I was going to make metal lids for these window tops but they are so tucked up under the eaves I dont see it being needed so havent.

measuring poo poo

cutting poo poo

lol I havent got the photo of installing poo poo. But I guess it was fine.

mess beginning to pile up

i want to eat this

Lights!

hmmm. why isnt that one on the left on?

so that light was the last one wired up, and I ran out of cable so switched to a slightly different one and its colour coded slightly different and my colour blindness may not have helped here.

long story short, at the junction box above the light I'd wired live to earth. fix3ed it

also i realise I've hosed up and havent done the wave sensors on either front or back door inside or outside. I can fix it but its annoying.

So the doors are going to unlock automatically via housebrain in the case of certain datapoints being established but they won't actually physically disengage the locks until a final "handshake" which is going to be waving a hand either vertically or horizontally past a sensor. The alternative will alert the house to a danger state and whatever protocols will thusly be followed. So I need the handwave sensors.

These. Its going to take a bit off loving about but I can drill back in from outside to sort those ones on the outside. This is largely to prevent baddies getting in just because I go to the front door with my phone in my pocket and it authenticates me. I want a physical unlock action still in the chain.

got it

hang that there for later

cutting the final finishing boards. So doing the top two layers of board has taken longer than all the rest below

what a muddy mess round the back again

Anyway needed to finish off here for some wiring but thats basically all the cladding done

lazer out to try and figure out the guttering. Which is going to need some refinement.

all the cladding I have left. 3 boards

and a big pile i guess

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:bravo:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

An actual house is taking shape. I love it :allears:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
did you switch houses on us?

be honest

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

WTF

why are the windows like this?
There is apparently a bolt that can be undone near the hinge to make them do that. Meaning they might be missing the bolt. Or not. Ordinarily you'd ask your installer, but I think the installer was you?

Apparently that makes them easier to clean, but it doesn't make it easier to escape when your house tries to kill you.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Impressive stuff love those huge opening doors/windows.

Though I feel at some point your smart house is going to lock you out in an emergency and it will you pooping in the bushes. Full circle.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

also i realise I've hosed up and havent done the wave sensors on either front or back door inside or outside. I can fix it but its annoying.

So the doors are going to unlock automatically via housebrain in the case of certain datapoints being established but they won't actually physically disengage the locks until a final "handshake" which is going to be waving a hand either vertically or horizontally past a sensor. The alternative will alert the house to a danger state and whatever protocols will thusly be followed. So I need the handwave sensors.

NJAN99 doing jumping jacks by the doors in increasing intensity and desperation as he slowly blacks out from oxygen deprivation when the house HVAC turns on him.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Shout "McDonald's" to unlock your door

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm genuinely surprised at seeing a brick frame house with a wooden facade. It's completely the opposite how it would be here, you'd have a wooden framed house and then a brick exterior.

e: I figured with brick construction you'd just apply render or something to the outside.

It looks good like this though, just an unfamiliar reversion to me.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 6, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Russians simply used a lock

House is looking good, the cladding is going to need some treatment though right?

Round these parts in the Alps pretty much all wood is stained dark brown which does last for ages but I think would make this house look a bit dingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

protocols will thusly be followed

https://youtu.be/W8B-4-xdqaA