Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I sleep in a small house with my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's what gets me so often about these people doing super duper mega eco builds, they go to enormous lengths and costs to make them efficient, all while building something with more floor space than a half dozen family homes for just themselves.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Winging It posted:

It's what gets me so often about these people doing super duper mega eco builds, they go to enormous lengths and costs to make them efficient, all while building something with more floor space than a half dozen family homes for just themselves.

I mean, why not I guess. The concrete has a carbon footprint but it's pretty much offset by the solar roof power generation

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

shut up blegum posted:

I sleep in a small house with my wife

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I meant it like, they don't even seem to consider a house that's like 1/4 the size, which is still very spacious, before going off the deep end chasing efficiencies.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm doing the world a favour by building my massive ecohome so other people dont build less efficient homes on that space.

Mine is not a passivhaus. I havent looked at exactly what it takes or means to be a passivhaus for a while. I went to germany a few years (probably like 15? lol gently caress me) ago on a passivhaus course thing. Theyre charlatans.

My house started off being vaguely hopeful of surpassing the bare minimum standard and has vaguely ricocheted around in that space since. Like it hasn't been designed or built from the ground up with the intention of holier than thou intention but I've ended up with time on my hands and read too much I don't understand and now I've stuck tape all over the floor that is literally branded passivhaus just for the plasterers to sort of non committedly tear it all up. My windows are more wank than they would maybe be if I chose them again. theyve got like argon and stuff but still seem to suck. My airtight envelope has been sealed by a drooling puppy that ate my homework.

Also the building regs have got stricter since I started so things that I was like comfortably passing, and maybe even a bit OTT, I'm now maybe not even in compliance with it. To be honest though I think thats probably all bollocks and quantative standards are probably worth next to nothing without a guarantee of decent build quality. I guess that guy building his warehouse sized house probably dropped a million quid on it so you'd hope he got the quality you'd expect from that outlay.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its weird too. all the passivehaus airtight stuff seems to comes from germany or ireland

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I laughed so hard when they interviewed the person running the certification evaluation and she said that she was bad at math and failed the test to become an evaluator but that the other way to become an evaluator is to just build an ecohouse!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean, why not I guess. The concrete has a carbon footprint but it's pretty much offset by the solar roof power generation

I don't believe that, rooftop solar is also pretty terrible from what I've read, and solar in general is terrible in european latitudes.

Frankly the idea that this 800m2 monstrosity is somehow ecologically friendly is offensive to me, rich people logic who need to soothe their conscience.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also the building regs have got stricter since I started so things that I was like comfortably passing, and maybe even a bit OTT, I'm now maybe not even in compliance with it.

If they're now out of compliance will you need to make changes to get your final signoff?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't believe that, rooftop solar is also pretty terrible from what I've read, and solar in general is terrible in european latitudes.

Frankly the idea that this 800m2 monstrosity is somehow ecologically friendly is offensive to me, rich people logic who need to soothe their conscience.

My average size house in the land of L covered over half it's energy consumption with a single-facing rooftop array this year, after it sent 18% of produced power back to the grid (our battery's not big enough). And we use ~double the domestic energy average. I can absolutely see a property like that providing the bulk, if not all the power, for three or four houses.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 10, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

What you've read is wrong

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I have about half of a West facing roof and from around 11am to 4pm it covers the electricity with a little bit going back. Solar can work well and as time goes on it is getting more efficient.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wasn't Musk supposed to be making modular solar roof tiles at one point? It's the one good idea he's had, which is probably why it never materialised.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wasn't Musk supposed to be making modular solar roof tiles at one point? It's the one good idea he's had, which is probably why it never materialised.

They do exist and have been installed, but it's a pretty low numbers game for that kind of thing.
It's an idea that certainly seems good but it's really expensive to install solar tiles. I don't think Tesla's are any worse than competitors (except for wind rating) it's just a very luxury product.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The passhaus grand designs chap in the YouTube link above got some nice swanky pv modular roofing that I really liked.

The thing is that it is actually relatively simple to achieve passivehaus, it's just that it's always done by rich idiots who also want massive 800m2 houses with ridiculous architecture.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We really need to see if we can get the grand designs guy to do a review of the thread, he must be on cameo or something.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Many grands over budget designs

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

perhaps i should have solared. But I'd loving lost interest in companies.

People who want 15 grand to do things.

Why can't i just do it myself? I'm pretty sure its bullshit government stuff that means some people think theyre getting solar power for cheap. Whereas genius's like me who dont know how to write genius in a plural are getting screwed.

anyway.

Also though, the loving planners here who say they wont allow me solar but can't stop me? wtf? As if that sounds like a fun thing to deal with in addition to all the other planning nonsense you're currently going through.

But other than that nonsense. Yeah I think solar is defo a go. But I'll put it on the next building on site, out of the conservation area.

ok. gutters. and I'm not going to offer any narration here

mike drop

lol. i accidentally uploaded the images at nut cancer revealing size lol

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 10, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tell Mike not to drop all his construction debris in the middle of the photo next time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

withak posted:

Tell Mike not to drop all his construction debris in the middle of the photo next time.

That’s his house

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's actually starting to look like a nice house. I would probably have painted the cladding, as I really don't like the grey colour that cedar turns to, but I guess that can always be done later.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Unf those swept guttering corners are gorgeous

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i know right!?!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

vanity slug posted:

That’s his house

:boom:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
House looks really good!

One question though,

Where is the water supposed to be going in this picture? The corner piece appears to be downslope from both sides of gutter, but the waterspout is upslope from it. Does it not matter which direction the edges of pieces are overlapped onto each other in this gutter system?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

bennyfactor posted:

House looks really good!

One question though,

Where is the water supposed to be going in this picture? The corner piece appears to be downslope from both sides of gutter, but the waterspout is upslope from it. Does it not matter which direction the edges of pieces are overlapped onto each other in this gutter system?

Look, the Housebrain will sense the water and will initiate the correct CyberGutter protocols thusly.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

bennyfactor posted:

House looks really good!

One question though,

That's where the lift station will pump the water up to a higher gutter that can maintain slope but not hit the window.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

bennyfactor posted:

House looks really good!

One question though,

It does seem like it'll leak a bunch.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bennyfactor posted:

House looks really good!

One question though,

Im putting the gutters on as close to level all around so the water can go wherever it fancies. Technically the corners are slightly lower than the end of the gutter runs as they sit, clipped in to a rubber sealed seat with the corner pieces. The union pieces are similarly rubber sealed.

Obviously I'm not following the instructions as they are for idiot babies, not big boy proper builders like me, but the instructions do happen to be in agreement with how i'm doing it. So I guess it'll all be fine.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh OK they're sealed, makes more sense.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Im putting the gutters on as close to level all around so the water can go wherever it fancies.

Can your fancy gutters comfortably support you hanging off them? Because water weight adds up fast if it doesn't fancy heading straight to a downspout.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Not full on hanging off then I don't think, but they passed the hefty tug test.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope you at least said "that's not going anywhere" while testing it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Multiple times.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Should be fine then.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As long as you then tapped it and nodded confidenly afterwards.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Looks alright with the gutters up. The bare steel makes it look a bit like a working farm building - a touch of the industrial. Good, if that's what you were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm genuinely surprised you're not that keen on them, I think they look great. I know you said cast iron before but that's expensive and I don't think it's even necessarily discernable from crappy plastic ones.

They did do these in anthracite finish which I guess would have matched the windows but I dunno... Again maybe that's too passive a look.

It is "The Old Stables" so I guess yeah an industrial working farm look isn't counter to what I'm aiming for.

You're in bad company though as my dad dislikes them, it's a hangover from when I was doing his place and he vetoed similar ones. So I just went and bought them when he wasn't there and installed them anyway.