Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Welcome to Property Insurance claims!

Where we learn about plumbing

Pergo water warrantees

Drive-bys (Hit the wrong house! Whoopsie-doodles!) (no one was physically harmed)

Basement bars of the 1960s

:nws:

Interesting electrical fixtures

The Way poo poo Used To Be Built to Last

Hey, it worked for the Romans (2015 edition)

yes, that is a Philadelphia Water Department meter attached there, why do you ask?

Real Longhorns of New Jersey

You'd leak too, if you were over 100-years old

uhh sure, why not

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love that light fixture. Wouldn't want to live with it, but would be happy to visit somebody else's house for an evening.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I love that light fixture. Wouldn't want to live with it, but would be happy to visit somebody else's house for an evening.

It's the kind of thing you'd see in a San Francisco brewery that used to be a warehouse.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A good friend of my dad's was a 'junk artist' and his house/workshop was chock full of stuff like that. I adored it as a kid.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I was talking to a plumber about tiling, as you do, and he said that "the worst ideas are always single men, like the guy that wanted all white tiles and black grout and we ended up having to rip the whole lot out and redo it because it looked so bad" and well well well do I have a story about single men designing bathrooms for you my friend!

Single men designing bathrooms is only bad if they don't design it with :females: in mind.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PainterofCrap posted:

Property Insurance claims

I need to know more about this

Why is this man's basement a wastewater/soilpipe vermicelli

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
At least he primed his pvc connections...

There's a couple points where I can kind of see what he was probably thinking, but why are there seemingly two septic systems and why are they joined by a crossover pipe that looks higher than either of them? Is one an emergency overflow for the other?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

pretty sure that outlet install is just rage bait

Something like this happened not far from me. A truck was leaking and left a trail of concrete a few inches wide and tall, with little piles at intersections. It was fairly avoidable, because cars straddled it. Then when they "fixed" it, they ground off too much road and now it is worse than the trail was.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sash! posted:

Something like this happened not far from me. A truck was leaking and left a trail of concrete a few inches wide and tall, with little piles at intersections. It was fairly avoidable, because cars straddled it. Then when they "fixed" it, they ground off too much road and now it is worse than the trail was.

They just need to have that leaking cement truck drive that route again to fill the ditch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/hannahrosewoods/status/1723258805062873538?s=20

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Do you remember who else became a building inspector, specifically so he could pass off his own shoddy work?

The previous owner of my father's house was the county electrical inspector. I worked for 4 years as an electrician's assistant and I never saw anything as hosed up and "Why did he do things this way?" as in any box I opened anywhere in that house.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

He said they were square (and I think 60x60) and the entire floor and up the walls so it was like living in graph paper.

Was his name Ralph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLW91ZF96ms&t=210s

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Don't ask Keith Richards to help clean it up

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Most people don't live in their bathrooms.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Welcome to Property Insurance
The Way poo poo Used To Be Built to Last

I do miss appliances that despite their intended placement in a basement or utility closet never to be looked at again, still had some thought put into aesthetic design rather than it being purely functional.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

At least he primed his pvc connections...

There's a couple points where I can kind of see what he was probably thinking, but why are there seemingly two septic systems and why are they joined by a crossover pipe that looks higher than either of them? Is one an emergency overflow for the other?

The one on the left miiiight be graywater? I can see something is spliced into the middle of the pipe that joins them, which might be a non-reversing valve as would be expected in that situation.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my guess would be that nice-looking appliances had some actual thought put into them, so it's kind of a statistical artifact for why it seems more common in older ones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phanatic posted:

The previous owner of my father's house was the county electrical inspector. I worked for 4 years as an electrician's assistant and I never saw anything as hosed up and "Why did he do things this way?" as in any box I opened anywhere in that house.

One thing I learned from the last place I rented at was 'never buy a house from an electrician'.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One thing I learned from the last place I rented at was 'never buy a house from an electrician'.

My dad bought a house from an electrician. Air conditioner stopped working. While checking out the obvious culprits I found that the big fuses in the service disconnect had been replaced with copper pipe.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ditto most trades, I think? Buying cars from car mechanics come up now and then.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The shoe-maker's children...

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Computer viking posted:

Ditto most trades, I think? Buying cars from car mechanics come up now and then.

My house was at some point owned by a guy who called himself a contractor and as far as I can tell that mostly means he hosed up basic handyman work as well as any specific skilled trade you care to think of.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My previous house was owned by a cabinet maker before me. The cabinets were actually custom made by him, and great, but everything else in the house was trash, including all the trim work. How can you build cabinets, but not cut a piece of baseboard to size?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mine also was a finish carpenter; his work in wood is all competent, even excellent; he clearly was an expert, building the kitchen cabinets and a pair of swing-out mullioned windows between the living room and the enclosed front porch.

However, that skill did not extend to electrical or plumbing work, which did not slow him down one bit. I wound up replacing just about all of the plumbing and re-wired about half, over a 15-year period. Stuff I found - house should have burned down at least four times.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

PainterofCrap posted:

However, that skill did not extend to electrical or plumbing work, which did not slow him down one bit. I wound up replacing just about all of the plumbing and re-wired about half, over a 15-year period. Stuff I found - house should have burned down at least four times.

How did you get in my house? My PO was a HVAC guy and did beautiful duct work and was pretty good at finish carpentry. The plumbing and electrical though...

All of the sinks and tub drains leaked because he didn't use any putty and put the gasket in the wrong place. Drains go up hill, sure why not. 7HP 220V air compressor run from 14ga circuit and a residential light switch, what could go wrong. I too re-plumed and re-wired 90% of the house. The only bits that were good were the parts he didn't touch.

Oh, and at some point he bought a pail of drywall screws so _everything_ is held together with them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I live in a subdivision where there are a number of different house designs, but the same builder did them all at the same time, and cut all the same corners in every house. It's darkly amusing to watch the repairs come and go in phases as the same things fall apart at about the same time. First everyone got a replacement garage door, and then almost everyone had to get a new roof. The neighborhood's current upgrade cycle is windows; by now about half the houses have replaced their original cheap lovely ones.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

ZincBoy posted:

Oh, and at some point he bought a pail of drywall screws so _everything_ is held together with them.

This is me but with deck screws

gently caress lovely old rear end Phillips heads

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Mine had a brickie and you bet those brick walls are dead straight and level it's just a shame the interior paneling wiring and plumbing is a mess, I've got triple layered walls with wallpaper inside them pipes sagging through the ceiling and had 9 power outlets in one room wired to an 8 amp lighting circuit.

Plumbers
Electricians
Carpenters
Masons
These are the four POs of the housepocalypse.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Qwijib0 posted:

I do miss appliances that despite their intended placement in a basement or utility closet never to be looked at again, still had some thought put into aesthetic design rather than it being purely functional.

In fairness these utility appliances would more often be visible in homes where they were an aftermarket addition rather than something reliably hidden away in a utility closet. people were also likelier to go to Sears or a corner appliance dealer and browse for a large water heater or a new furnace, and the appeal would thus count for something.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

coldpudding posted:

Mine had a brickie and you bet those brick walls are dead straight and level it's just a shame the interior paneling wiring and plumbing is a mess, I've got triple layered walls with wallpaper inside them pipes sagging through the ceiling and had 9 power outlets in one room wired to an 8 amp lighting circuit.

Plumbers
Electricians
Carpenters
Masons

In hell, they say the plumbers are electricians, the electricians are carpenters, and the masons are plumbers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

moist turtleneck posted:

This is me but with deck screws

gently caress lovely old rear end Phillips heads

I have been converted to the Torx-head deck screws for all woodwork. *Especially* the self-drilling and self-locking (two different thread pitches) deck screws.

The terrible PO thing in my house is the garage 8-circuit sub-panel run off of 8-gauge cable run alllll the way across the house in the attic... tapped into the top of the breaker box with no breaker.
At least the dryer isn't run off of that. It has it's own circuit and breaker in the main panel. The sub panel just runs the garage door opener, and any outlets not located on the wall shared with the house. And the 240V I use for the air compressor. I've been meaning to add a breaker to that feed, and maybe upgrade it to 6 ga. for, uh, 23 years. Oh, also maybe add a main breaker/disconnect for the house.
Oh, and the garage panel has a disconnect that uses two cartridge fuses.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The inspector was impressed by the "overbuilt" circuit breaker system in the house, annoyed by the garage just being an old plug fuse setup. He told me to upgrade that. I will. I will...

(planning on getting into wood working in the spring, so I actually should think about my power system being capable enough for it)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Darchangel posted:

I have been converted to the Torx-head deck screws for all woodwork. *Especially* the self-drilling and self-locking (two different thread pitches) deck screws.

I got a *shitload* of T25 GRK Uber grade from my dad’s workshop when I cleaned it out, they rule. Sadly I am starting to get low and any major project I’ll need to buy more.

For my own “builder did a poo poo job” contribution, this is ostensibly where the downstairs bathroom vent was supposed to come outside.

It was covered by the bottom trim board and it’s just been venting into the joist bay for 25+ years, not to mention free entrance for any bugs. At least the tube was still reachable to get it venting properly.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Darchangel posted:

This was already solved in canada 100 years ago, it's called the robertson screw (the revolutionary design of "a square")

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It'll be a cold day in hell when I choose a robertson over a t25

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Majere posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell when I choose a robertson over a t25

Heh, I almost posted exactly this.

The PO of my house used all Robertson screws. They still strip and cam out all the time. I hate them.

t25/30 all the way!

The only thing I use Robertson for are the really small trim screws.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Uthor posted:

The inspector was impressed by the "overbuilt" circuit breaker system in the house, annoyed by the garage just being an old plug fuse setup. He told me to upgrade that. I will. I will...
Where do you buy the replacement fuses nowadays?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As I recall from a helpful chart, depending on the required power flow: a cheesery, fastener aisle of your hardware store, ammo case of the sporting goods store, or wrench aisle of the hardware store.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Home Depot and Lowe’s still have a limited selection. Thankfully, they have what I need for the aforementioned pull-out disconnect. That or good old Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

coldpudding posted:

Plumbers
Electricians
Carpenters
Masons

Been a while since we had a new thread title.

Crappy Construction: the Four POs of the Housepocalypse

?