Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In a strange twist FF8R is a management game where you fill the shoes of Cid Kramer, running the Garden. You manage class schedules and roster, deploy units to combat zones, and struggle to somehow make money before NORG comes knocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

In the JP script for FF8, was it still hot dogs? Or was it something like yakisoba pan?

It's flavored bread, yeah.

Something that I am sure would cause unending rage if they 'changed' it for the remake.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ainsley McTree posted:

cafeteria worker minigame where you have to serve hot dogs at the lunch rush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWcKcUn7e-8

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SettingSun posted:

In a strange twist FF8R is a management game where you fill the shoes of Cid Kramer, running the Garden. You manage class schedules and roster, deploy units to combat zones, and struggle to somehow make money before NORG comes knocking.

you need to make sure to give your SEEDs enough hot dogs to complete missions before the GFs eat their brain

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ManSedan posted:

If there were a VIII Remake I'd want the Garden campus to be HUGE. Dozens of classrooms with the walls detailed with everything from elementary school age colors and posters all the way up to stuffy college lecture halls. A gigantic library and expansive dorms with different zones of kids hanging out. Multiple tiered parking lot. Of course the admin floors would be just as detailed as the classrooms and dorms. Just give me a whole huge school full of character and history. And then make it fly later.

Of course all the rest of the locations would be like four little zones each but who cares? Make Garden a place to really love.

I feel like this about practically every location in 6, 8, and 9 (and 7 but they're delivering on that). I kinda hate being such a sucker for the wave of nostalgic remakes but the FFs are such rich and distinct worlds that there really is so much you could dig down into or designs you could glow up while remaining true to the originals.

I feel like that's the draw of all the FF7 extended stuff, which I am also pretty down on as a whole. The execution may be wanting but I certainly don't begrudge anyone the desire to explore that world more.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
hotdogs make more sense to americans, culturally

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Huge missed opportunity to do product placement and make them Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ManSedan posted:

If there were a VIII Remake I'd want the Garden campus to be HUGE. Dozens of classrooms with the walls detailed with everything from elementary school age colors and posters all the way up to stuffy college lecture halls. A gigantic library and expansive dorms with different zones of kids hanging out. Multiple tiered parking lot. Of course the admin floors would be just as detailed as the classrooms and dorms. Just give me a whole huge school full of character and history. And then make it fly later.

Of course all the rest of the locations would be like four little zones each but who cares? Make Garden a place to really love.

delling, timber and esthar (but gently caress the empty highways) are also right up there in terms of locations that really needs to be expanded in that way in a hypothetical remake

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SettingSun posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a Persona style FF8 remake

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

triple sulk posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a Persona style FF8 remake

"Your friendship with Selphie has increased! Unlocked DIE FOR ME."

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FF8R will also feature a scene where Galbadian Army medic tends to Squall before he's shipped off to prison. He will look directly into the camera while talking to Seifer and say "He's badly injured but I managed to prevent cardiac arrest"

The "Squall is dead" nerds will only get louder about their awesome theory

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I imagine they would just alter the scene to something other than him getting speared by an icicle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They live in a world of magic where everyone around him has access to potent healing spells and he was captured by an incredibly powerful witch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I do wanna see a lifeguard performing CPR and casting Cure while doing chest compressions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I do wanna see a lifeguard performing CPR and casting Cure while doing chest compressions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hardest boss in final fantasy. Hardest super boss was the broken military parade.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

"Nurse defibrillator!"

*nurse begins casting thunder1*

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jokes posted:

Hardest boss in final fantasy. Hardest super boss was the broken military parade.

i got a perfect score once

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

jokes posted:

the swinging pipe during the plate climb where the text box for failure was mistranslated and would tell you to do the exact opposite of what you were actually supposed to do

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i got a perfect score once

Bullshit

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mmaybe not a perfect score but i've gotten the force sword before

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that sword is thankfully not connected to the viewer ratings, only rufus’ joy%

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Somebody send that guy a bomb.

"Received 'grenade'"

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
FF8 Remake will instead be styled after MGS5 and you're managing a mercenary company.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

hotdogs make more sense to americans, culturally

I was a teenager when 8 came out and probably was too dumb to know what yakisoba pan was and too lazy to look it up and while I’m better now, I still like the idea of zell as the hot dog guy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a classic case of improvement added in localization.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

8's world is one of the cases of JRPG worlds being compressed kinda feels to its detriment.

With 4 5 6 and 9 you can buy that there's just these kingdoms and the scattered villages you visit are somewhat representative of more villages out in the world that you just don't see.

For FF7 it feels reasonable that there's one giant megacity and everywhere else is in decline or barely hanging on in the face of Shinra. Place's like Nibelheim and Gongaga were already under Shinra's thumb even before the start of the game; Wutai is the only major power with anything even resembling independence (and Cosmo Canyon I guess?).

Meanwhile the world of FF8 has three big mercenary schools catering to, what, three nations? The Galbadia-Timber and Galbadia-Esthar wars were basically over by the time the Gardens even got up and running.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
That logic still applies to 8 though. There’s conceivably dozens of little Winhills throughout the world. Dollet was even its own little duchy just prior to the games start and I’m sure there’s more to that place than just one little seaside town.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

bewilderment posted:

8's world is one of the cases of JRPG worlds being compressed kinda feels to its detriment.

With 4 5 6 and 9 you can buy that there's just these kingdoms and the scattered villages you visit are somewhat representative of more villages out in the world that you just don't see.

For FF7 it feels reasonable that there's one giant megacity and everywhere else is in decline or barely hanging on in the face of Shinra. Place's like Nibelheim and Gongaga were already under Shinra's thumb even before the start of the game; Wutai is the only major power with anything even resembling independence (and Cosmo Canyon I guess?).

Meanwhile the world of FF8 has three big mercenary schools catering to, what, three nations? The Galbadia-Timber and Galbadia-Esthar wars were basically over by the time the Gardens even got up and running.

this extremely feels like an argument tailor made to be applied selectively

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

bewilderment posted:

It's because the last Lunar Cry sandblasted the loving planet - FF8 is post-apocalyptic in many ways, Lunatic Pandora is a loving doomsday device and goddamn it now I have to play FF8 again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The entire world of FF8 was Kompressed

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

New FF8R Minigame

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

mmm love my hot dogs swarthed with metal

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Sandblasted the planet eighty years ago.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Agents are GO! posted:

It's because the last Lunar Cry sandblasted the loving planet - FF8 is post-apocalyptic in many ways, Lunatic Pandora is a loving doomsday device and goddamn it now I have to play FF8 again.

But the Gardens in their current form (as a business) postdate the Lunar Cry as well as the major wars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gardens as mercenary schools are like a decade old tops.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also one of the oddest things about FFVIII is that the super-advanced Centra civilization that was destroyed by the Lunar Cry was destroyed a whopping 80 years ago.

They're long forgotten and if this was an "apocalypse," everybody has forgotten that, too, all in the span of less than a hundred years.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

nobody can watch TV or listen to the radio anymore because it's all screaming

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Also one of the oddest things about FFVIII is that the super-advanced Centra civilization that was destroyed by the Lunar Cry was destroyed a whopping 80 years ago.

They're long forgotten and if this was an "apocalypse," everybody has forgotten that, too, all in the span of less than a hundred years.

The ADHD planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its realistic i dont give a poo poo about the ottoman empire why should they