Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Thats just how it works in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Waffleman_ posted:

Buggy will awaken the Chop Chop Fruit and he'll be able to chop other people and then it will be Zoro's time

Isn't that just Law's fruit?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

(Ch)Op (Ch)Op Fruit.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Buggy will learn to chop atoms and make nuclear buggy bombs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

hatty posted:

Buggy will learn to chop atoms and make nuclear buggy bombs

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Do you remember that time I blew up an entire island with my Nuggy Bomb?

No.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Gets me everytime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FKsQoVWIkk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vegapunk walks by Spandam after chatting with Buggy and blanks his greeting, Spandam spends the rest of his life determined to get revenge on Buggy.

GodFish posted:

Do you remember that time I blew up an entire island with my Nuggy Bomb?

No.

:lol:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

my fav too. i always crack a smile when he yells at nami that it was her directions LOL

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This flashback has convinced me the Paw Paw fruit is one of the most busted fruits in the series

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
That time Zoro berated Nami for not doing the Tarzan yell while swinging on vines

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love it when Nami realizes the loophole in the Davey Back Fight that would let them instantly win and EVERYBODY is horrified and offended, including the blatant cheaters, because there are some things that are just sacred!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the op-op fruit

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is this a break week?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

RatHat posted:

This flashback has convinced me the Paw Paw fruit is one of the most busted fruits in the series

it is the hand of liberation after all

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

RC Cola posted:

Is this a break week?

Yep

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I love it when Nami realizes the loophole in the Davey Back Fight that would let them instantly win and EVERYBODY is horrified and offended, including the blatant cheaters, because there are some things that are just sacred!

We’re gonna find out this is what Imu did

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jerusalem posted:

Also the thing that gets her to back down is Robin pointing out that it would mean being in the same crew as Foxy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

We’re gonna find out this is what Imu did

Finally something to bring all the disparate sides together in unbreakable unity to stand against Imu.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Will of D. ---> Davey

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
On more serious topics...

It's been hammered in for YEARS that the Celestial Dragons are, almost to a core, monsters, but the last several chapters have made me start thinking they've gone beyond even 'toxic upbringing, no one can say no, they can do whatever they want, they are told from the moment they are born they are living gods and everyone else is pure scum' eat the rich style evil, especially with Elder Star Saturn and the flashback to the hunt. Honestly, they've crossed over to "We are to a man and woman filled with psychopathic hatred of the EXISTENCE of everything else on the planet, it enrages us that we have to share it in ANY way with all this scum, and we have to torture them, break them, murder them, and so on because they need to be punished for this unforgivable crime of existing." (Never mind they can't do anything by themselves, hate kills reason and pisses on it while laughing) You'd think that Luffy or the Revolution won't have to do anything specific against most of them (the Elders clearly have powers, so they can also work their own evil will, so they require fists to faces) as the plot resolves itself; just by kicking everything down, they'll spontaneously combust over the idea of having to live in a changed world.

Seriously, I don't know how more banally bloodthirsty this lot could become. Hell I'd argue they're on par with the 'hate problem' that drove the ending of Attack On Titan. Though I suspect Oda will be considerably kinder in how that manga's plot went about addressing THAT.

This spoils the end of Attack On Titan, stop reading if you want to read it. But be warned it is immensely grim. Basically there's an ethnicity in the AOT world that is SO hated and despised beyond any point of reason that it seems like it's become imprinted in the human species at large's DNA and that they will NEVER be able to stop feeling murderous rancor towards these people...so the main character initiates an attempt to basically kill the entire world except that ethnicity. He almost succeeds. Then the last pages of the last chapter suggest that after hundreds of years have passed, it was pointless and humanity just rebuilt from the ashes and never stopped hating and are still trying to exterminate this ethnicity and the events that drove the series are about to be rediscovered and the whole thing will start over again with the world having not only learned nothing, but almost reacting with visceral contempt at the concept of learning anything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait, THAT'S how it ends?!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm sure some people could clarify and maybe inform you I got it all wrong, but yes, as far as I can tell, that's how it ends.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

important question: which zoro getting lost gag is the best?

for my money i think its the one in enies lobby. it's just so abrupt and chopper and nami seeing him run off perpendicular to them hits so well
At the end of Alabasta, at a part where people are in The City In The Middle Of The Empty Desert making rebellion plans and stuff, there's just suddenly a random panel where Zoro is in the middle of a jungle looking confused with a big question mark over his head. It's completely absurd and I love it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

No that summary is somewhere between 'extremely misleading by omission' and 'completely factually wrong'

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Irony Be My Shield posted:

No that summary is somewhere between 'extremely misleading by omission' and 'completely factually wrong'

Never change, goons

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Uhm, as a non-fan but having at least sparsely read the series and its ending, it is at least superficially accurate, like yes that was the impression I took away from it. Also it contains genocide apologetica. "Wow.... you became a mass murderer for our sake??? T...thank you......."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wano Kuni tells the story of a man who brutally exploits the country that he has taken over, starving the locals and forcing them to work as slaves. At the end of the arc a respected agent of the government shows up and confirms that the natives 'have no human rights'

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think this is a case of, there was supposed to be a different takeaway, and there were things in the manga that were meant to convey something different, but the execution was so bad and weird that even many hardcore fans had to really squint to take away anything other than ”yo genocide is like morally gray man and totally forgivable”

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I've heard people say the anime adjusts the ending slightly to be less stupid but I'm not going to watch it to find out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wano Kuni tells the story of a man who brutally exploits the country that he has taken over, starving the locals and forcing them to work as slaves. At the end of the arc a respected agent of the government shows up and confirms that the natives 'have no human rights'

This is correct.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Franky said it best: "It's never a crime just to exist!"

Mraagvpeine posted:

Isn't that just Law's fruit?

Buggy's fruit doesn't require a stamina-draining ROOM to be activated. Really makes you :thunk:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 16, 2023

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Bisse posted:

I think this is a case of, there was supposed to be a different takeaway, and there were things in the manga that were meant to convey something different, but the execution was so bad and weird that even many hardcore fans had to really squint to take away anything other than ”yo genocide is like morally gray man and totally forgivable”

No it really didn't. I question the any reader who came away thinking that and their media literacy skills. I especially question them if they used the fan translation off the first draft release to make that assumption, which is where a lot of problems came from

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nuebot posted:

I've heard people say the anime adjusts the ending slightly to be less stupid but I'm not going to watch it to find out.

I came across the ending on youtube, and it seems on brand bleak. I had dropped it a long time ago though, so I might be missing things. Maybe there's an afterlife or something, or Mikasa is just a friend to birds. Still, it makes sure to end what is building up as "everyone lived happily ever after" with "Then their kids/grand kids started a war and did a nuclear apocalypse". Then some survivor kid and his dog come across Eren's grave.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Gyges posted:

I came across the ending on youtube, and it seems on brand bleak. I had dropped it a long time ago though, so I might be missing things. Maybe there's an afterlife or something, or Mikasa is just a friend to birds. Still, it makes sure to end what is building up as "everyone lived happily ever after" with "Then their kids/grand kids started a war and did a nuclear apocalypse". Then some survivor kid and his dog come across Eren's grave.

I'm not too familiar with AoT, but I did watch the fandom flip their poo poo at the original ending scans and watched a video of the anime ending, but it's pretty much meant to be bittersweet: Mikasa kills Eren which causes all Titan powers to disappear so every Titan character will now live longer than 13 years and there's no longer the Titan issue that caused the whole conflict. Armin and the other characters get to live happier lives, Mikasa doesn't forget Eren but moves on, given she's shown bringing flowers with what looks like a family and all the characters probably died of natural causes.

The bitter part is Eren's actions? (not sure how it happened cause I've never really read the manga besides checking out the ending) caused a fascist party to dominate the politics of their country, and it's implied because they went again on imperialism that they end up destroyed by war, but at the end we're shown a kid finding the tree Eren was buried under, leaving it ambiguous whether everything with the Titans would repeat or if there's new hope.

Basically the message of the ending seems to be "humans don't need a reason to fight and destroy themselves but you can try back again"?

Edit: not sure why i decided to effortpost about a manga i haven't even read honestly. One Piece I do read and it's good.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 16, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is correct.
No it isn't, because I implied that anyone anywhere respects Greenbull

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's respected in the same way one respects the presence of a doormat to wipe one's shoes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Go talk about AOT on the AOT threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Plutonis posted:

Go talk about AOT on the AOT threads

Sounds like literally no two people can agree on what’s even happening in it so better advice would be to stop talking about it period