Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The MGS1 Rex being basically two pages with pics saying "yeah here's a camo guide, have fun" is the main reason I went for the black version with the waterslides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Deviant posted:

My buddy in Vegas got me something called

"The Gundam Base Limited V Gundam (Titanium Finish)"

That's good, right? :smug:

Be careful sanding because anything with a special "finish" will have that finish rub off when sanding. Also, the nub marks will always lack the finish.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Good call. I'll try to be extra careful to minimize sanding if any. Ideally an rg will do a lot of under gate to minimize it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Deviant posted:

Good call. I'll try to be extra careful to minimize sanding if any. Ideally an rg will do a lot of under gate to minimize it

Be sure to do any tests on the runner, first.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
been working on the schwartzette tonight

im too tired to finish it but my initial impressions are that i love the hoof feet. they're unique, they look cool, and they feel really sturdy as far as posing is concerned. A+ design

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Speaking of undergating - the nightingale was the first kit I've done to noticably feature it, and the vast majority of cuts on it were undergated, and I have to say I kind of like it a lot. I find them easier to cut cleanly and even if I gently caress it up, the scars are rarely ever visible.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Pretty much all of the PG Exia was under-gated and it made the build so much nicer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"These Acguy iron nails are hilariously blunted I'll file them all nice and sharp."

*later*

"gently caress you past me"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of undergating - the nightingale was the first kit I've done to noticably feature it, and the vast majority of cuts on it were undergated, and I have to say I kind of like it a lot. I find them easier to cut cleanly and even if I gently caress it up, the scars are rarely ever visible.

Yeah, the GGG has a lot of undergating and it's mostly on areas that'll just be seams so it's not super visible

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goddamn why's the HG Acguy kit go so hard with all this incredible detail that just gets covered up by armor plates?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Because Acguy is literally the best.

Check out the detail on the MG version, too. :)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kibner posted:

Because Acguy is literally the best.

Check out the detail on the MG version, too. :)

This. And also the second part too. I've been trying to reduce my gunpla collection recently but MG Acguy is staying for sure.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Wasn’t MG Acguy the first kit Dalong gave a score of 100 to?

(I’m planning an armor cutaway build for mine)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finished my Gypsy Avenger from the second Pacific Rim movie. Pretty great kit overall and pretty simple paint color ratios, and only really two colors plus the gold for the visor to paint. Only issue I have is that I'll have to wait to pose it any other way because it needs an action base 2 connector and I only have base 5s.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Trip report: I managed to get one of these in my last Suruga-ya order (I apparently snagged the only one up, or else I would have posted a link), and finally got around to using it last night.

It definitely speeds up the decal process by a lot. Being able to prepare multiple decals at once means I can get a MG done in just one sitting or two (non ver. Ka, of course). Putting a mug warmer underneath it also ensures that I don't have to periodically change the water. I did quickly learn not to fully submerge the sponge with the decals on it since it scattered them all over after raising it back up. Obvious in hindsight, but at least nothing was ruined.

The included plastic tweezers are trash so I'm sticking with my angled ones. The curved scissors are nice for when you're feeling lazy and don't want to use a hobby knife to cut out a decal. The little bin for used backing paper is a nice bonus, too.

I'm sure there's cheaper DIY solutions, but for $15 shipped, I can't complain, especially in the drastic time saving.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tip if you have pets, really really vacuum before applying chrome paint.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All GaoMachines done

gently caress this boy's fingers

Up next is watersliding, then Final Fusion

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Less than two weeks later and I have my suruga-ya order. Everything's basically as new, just with some store stickers on them!

The walker machine surprised me. I thought it'd be bigger but it was half the size I was expecting.
---

now I'm being more precise with my work I'm finding im sanding and cutting more parts to fit better and now i'm worrying that my microplastics consumption has gone through the roof.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 23, 2023

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
So is surugaya the better place to order nowadays? Any particular pros/cons compared to the usual suspects like HLJ? I'm in Europe if it makes any difference or anybody had experience ordering from there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The prices are half of what I'd pay for retail here if I'm ordering on the free shipping events. Took two weeks but thats fine im not in a rush. Apparently they were buried under extra orders so that may have been later than usual for them.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Markovnikov posted:

So is surugaya the better place to order nowadays? Any particular pros/cons compared to the usual suspects like HLJ? I'm in Europe if it makes any difference or anybody had experience ordering from there.
I'm in the UK and I only use it on free-shipping weekends. Something as simple as an HG Woundwort is £40+ here but via Surugaya it's like £20. Shipping time is about a week. It's basically the only place for me to get P-Bandai at anything near RRP.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It also varies a lot between different brands. Bandai prices (especially for MGs) are pretty close to local retail (at least for non pbandai kits) but kotobukiya kits seem much cheaper.

For example the upcoming zone of the enders Anubis kit is like $90 on us based online retailers but $65 if I were to preorder it from Suruga-ya.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

All GaoMachines done

gently caress this boy's fingers

Up next is watersliding, then Final Fusion

did you buy seperate water slides? The sticker arent bad, i just do not have the dexterity or patience for slides.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I bought a sheet of slides. I'm not going to do all of them, just the bigger details.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pbandai keeps adding more poo poo I want. I think I'm going to have to grab that Virunvee to go with the dunbine I preordered a while back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Got my Moderoid El Dora V coming in the mail, and turns out the Gundam Marker metallic set 2 has literally all the right shades for it, so obviously I had to get that too... :shepspends:

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.
I'm off to Japan next week and the day I'm going to the yokohama factory is 1 day before their xmas lighting event kicks off. I'm semi-near the place a few days later when we come back from Fukuoka is it worth swinging around again or is it the same as normal but in festive colours?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Digihazard posted:

I'm off to Japan next week and the day I'm going to the yokohama factory is 1 day before their xmas lighting event kicks off. I'm semi-near the place a few days later when we come back from Fukuoka is it worth swinging around again or is it the same as normal but in festive colours?

Can't tell you about the lighting event, but if you want to get the docking tower tickets make sure to reserve them online - when I was there a month ago they were only available on-site for the earliest time slot, all the rest was prebooking only (they're also super expensive, but if you're going all the way out there you might as well do it right!)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I went to the Yokohama Gundam last month and I would suggest going up if only because there isn't too much to do on the ground TBH.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Digihazard posted:

Fukuoka is a neat place, and has better things to see than Yokohama. It even has a better (though immobile) Gundam statue :v:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

It even has a better (though immobile) Gundam statue :v:

Can’t be helped — its soles are weighed down by gravity.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I didn't realize there was a Gunpla thread. I think I've looked before in the Hobbies forum. Anyways, just reposting this boy.

Saint Freak posted:

I think we are successfully burning red.

https://i.imgur.com/cc5rw3l.mp4

Oh that box he's standing on?

That's the Gojulas.
It weighs 15 pounds (~7 kg)
It comes in its own shipping container
All of the literature just lists it as "~1400 pieces" because presumably even the people that made it don't want to count

It's gonna be a big boy

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
That was very cool!

Also lol that huge box.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

oh, my new roommate arrived today.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

They've finally started construction on the new don quijote really close to where I live. It'll be great to not have to drive halfway across the island to look at all the gunpla I can't afford.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Numero6 posted:

That was very cool!

Also lol that huge box.

It is an incredibly stupid box

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Gojulas is a legitimately incredible kit. Enjoy!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm about to make my first purchase on suruga-ya (getting myself the efreet custom I've been wanting for ages for my birthday) and the sheer temptation to order more poo poo because of free shipping is deeply tempting. But outside of novelties like 7-11 gundams I can't really think of anything else, that I could afford, that I'd want. I'm still mad I missed the pre-order time for pbandai's ghost gundam.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Deviant posted:

oh, my new roommate arrived today.

Aww yeah. Be sure and set the mood for your build sessions. Cook yourself a nice meal. Pour yourself a glass of wine. Set the lighting just right. Put some Barry White on or something like that. Don't just turn the lights up and grab tools. Treat yourself, and the PGU, right. Show some love. Show some respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saint Freak posted:

It is an incredibly stupid box

I'm really curious to see how big that thing actually gets. If I had the space, and the money, I'd absolutely get one.

Godspeed on your 1400-piece journey to assemble it. :patriot: