Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
thats a page snipe

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Mold is the universe's way of telling you an airtight house is against god

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats a page snipe

:hellyeah:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its not been a hugely productive period to be honest. My morale is sapped.

Realising I need the heat pump in but also that that means dealing with the electricity companies that still cant decide what hold music to play me whilst refusing to fit me the three phase smart meter I want is like kick in the nuts one.

Where I propose to put the heatpump needs a slab pouring, right round the back of the house for the rubber feet to sit on, but also lies directly atop the sewer that I've been lying to myself about how it works when it obviously doesnt.

So I drum up the energy to get out my birthday present I asked my parents for last birthday.

The sewer pipe pressure test kit.

So I've got to lean down and bung off certain runs to test whether they hold pressure, ie are not leaking ground water in or poo water out.

Haven't got a picture weirdly of the deep, downstream one by the front door that I needed to also bung in addition to the plant room and the kitchen end manhole entry.

but anyway I needed a third cheap bung from toolstation. rubbish present.

So you've got to sort of pour water into the gauge to a very particular level and then pump it up with the squeezy pumper thing until it gets to 100... pumps. then leave it for 5 mins and it has to still be above 75 pumps.

after 20 seconds it is below the required 75 pumps.

I dunno. this kit seems a bit xmas cracker and actually now I think about it theres another rodding eye on this section... is that fully airtight? I try to isolate and test other sewer sections but cannot and get even worse results. Theres like basin connections and shower drains and all sorts. I dunno? Is gaffer tape over a pipe air tight? Will anyone check this? I have no idea.

lol when I remove the downstream bung after only a couple of days, theres a huge deluge of water from seemingly nowhere. hmmmm

so i bought this to shove up all my pipes. As I get older I'm sure I'll find further uses for it.

Yeah I dunno. total dogshit. Dunno what I'm looking at or for.

I need a darkpipeman inspector or something?

hosed if i know what to do now.

Like? carry on? dig everything up? throw myself in the hole? bury myself?

On a more positive note, I think I've somehow negotiated down all the cladding oil and fire protection from about 1.8 grand to more like... half that. Mainly because the fire protection company seem able to totally self certify and when I keep telling them things off their own website that they tell me I need to do and buy theyre like, gently caress no mate who told you that?

ok cool.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 19, 2023

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ALTdpdMDao

I don’t know, I just like watching this.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 20, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ok. thats settled.

I'm going to high pressure shove a smurf up my poo pipes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

jose sent me a pm with pictures like this once

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ta

its so depressing though. I haven't even had a poo poo down these pipes yet and theyre worn out?

my ego has taken a massive knock

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

hosed if i know what to do now.

Like here what am I looking at?

On the first photo you can see bands of moisture and dry pipe? How is that happneing? Why

The other one thats a joint, the way these pipe jints work is just rubber seals pushed together within the plastic pipes. But you can see specular light flashes, as in moisture on the top of that pipe joint? wheres that coming from other than just moisture pouring in through the joint? wtf? Why do they give you these joints to install underground, under your house?

just wtf.

I guess its condensation in the pipe. I loving hate water that cheats and goes up

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 19, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just flush it with some good clay silt until it self-seals.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Towards L shape architecture: I'm going to high pressure shove a smurf up my poo pipes.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The workers knew not to trust the pipes and thus pooped in the bushes? Or was it an ominous foretelling?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Can't you just...pay someone who knows what they're doing to check your pipework, instead of fannying about with dubious quality testing kits and getting depressed trying to give your house an amateur colonoscopy?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just poo poo and forget man, poo poo and forget.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can't you just...pay someone who knows what they're doing to check your pipework, instead of fannying about with dubious quality testing kits and getting depressed trying to give your house an amateur colonoscopy?

Yeah well you could say that about this whole house too but then we wouldn't have this thread.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just poo poo and forget man, poo poo and forget.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
At a certain point you have to give in though and have someone who knows what they're doing tell you what's up.

Especially water stuff.

Electrical will kill you but at least it doesn't have pressure and backflow, it doesn't slowly leak out of wires and rot your house away, and it doesn't come up out of the ground or sideways through your foundation,.
And a 10-year old can connect wires together, none of this brazing poo poo or dealing with 70 year old cast iron plumbing stacks buried in a concrete slab.

Water was a mistake.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
However I can't recommend hiring a 10 year old sparky to rewire your house. Not just because you'll look like a nonce.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah the mold is integral to the plan.

Get a dehumidifier and run it inside. We did that after plastering. Plus a couple of oil filled rads. The plaster should be old enough now that you're not going to gently caress it up by drying it too hard.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The sewer pipe pressure test kit.
Yeah I dunno. total dogshit. Dunno what I'm looking at or for.

Bung off each drainage run at the lowest manhole, fill the system full of water with a hose and see if the level drops. Our building control guy asked us to check that and tell him the result. I am definitely definitely going to do it after using those drain runs for nine months.
If you test with air it'll piss out all over the place. Air pressure tests are used for component certification, but only by manufacturers in factory conditions.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Fidelitious posted:

At a certain point you have to give in though and have someone who knows what they're doing tell you what's up.

Yeah, and I still have siding falling off and water coming in around my windows after hiring professionals. I fix enough lovely work done by PEs or journeyman level and above electricians then someone comes behind me to fix my lovely programing, no one knows what they're doing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I don't doubt 99s tenacity to do it all himself, but when a single update post has multiple allusions to what a depressing and demoralising ordeal it is, and how it's all baffling and meaningless, maybe time to call in the Poobusters

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I don't doubt 99s tenacity to do it all himself, but when a single update post has multiple allusions to what a depressing and demoralising ordeal it is, and how it's all baffling and meaningless, maybe time to call in the Poobusters

:itwaspoo:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Endjinneer posted:

Get a dehumidifier and run it inside. We did that after plastering. Plus a couple of oil filled rads. The plaster should be old enough now that you're not going to gently caress it up by drying it too hard.
There's no electricity

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Endjinneer posted:

Get a dehumidifier and run it inside.

Or at least a hygrometer, so you can see where you're at. Plastering puts a lot of water into the house. I had to run a dehumidifier for a while after my ground floor screed went in. Sometimes after a bit of maths it turned out that opening the bifolds was the right move to remove moisture even when it was raining outside, just by how much water a warm house can hold vs a cold winter day.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

There's no electricity

Just run a diesel generator in the airtight house, what could go wrong?

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
A generator in the car hole to help knock down the moisture before it causes problems seems like a worthwhile expense? Unless it's gonna get stolen the first day or something.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

There's no electricity

Ah, this is a slight problem. A lot of those boxes of dehumidifying crystals then?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Fill the entire house with water beads, it'll dry out in a flash

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

vanity slug posted:

Just run a diesel generator in the airtight house, what could go wrong?

A very long extension cord from the pub

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EasilyConfused posted:

A very long extension cord from the pub
If you go in and ask if you can plug in a charger and they say yes, you've got them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've got power, just not inside the house. Its still run from a commando lead from the cabinet up the drive, which now the house is properly airtight sealed up, means leaving a door or window open to trail the lead in. Which isnt ideal for temperature and moisture, or when I'm not there, security. I'll ring octopus again on wednesday to try and speed up the 6 month ordeal of getting a smart meter. Can't do it on tuesday, theyre smart meter person only works mondays and wednesdays.

some progress today, but its not reall the type of progress that builds finished houses, its the type of arsing about staring into space progress.

I used a spare piece of virgin pipe to test my air tightness test kit as like a control. So those white nylon butt plugs from toolstation are not capable of maintaining a seal fullstop. Not fit for purpose. I will attempt to return them. The metal ones are, but the kit is still a bit temperamental, but it is provably possible.

As suggested, I filled the kitchen pipe run with water instead and it seeped out until a certain point where it seemed to keep its level. measured with a length of floating polystyrene in it.

Which is like good and bad. Its where the 40mm sink/whatever pipes are connecting into the main 110mm vertical sections of pipe. The collars I've used are basically not airtight. Should have tested it a long time ago. Before I built like floors and poo poo. hmmmm i dunno.

Like in practice its not going to be a problem unless the whole drain backs up so badly that water is vertically coming back up the drains in the house. Like the drain runs do flow down ok, and are sealed in that direction, its if there is water, or air pressure back against the joint that it is no good. Basically it will work fine but fail an air test. I dont know if anyone is going to do an air test.

I have an idea to fix the kitchen one tomorrow which I'll try, but I've used the same collars in the bathrooms so I have every suspicion these will be just as bad. And I cannot access these in the same way as the solution I think I have for the kitchen one. Ultimately I could get back to the joint, but it involves grinding/smashing back through the floor screed at certain points. It is feasible but not desirable. Think upon it.

As for the main run under the house that I am most keen to deal with now as its where I want to plonk the heatpump. I do the same thing and fill it with water.

yo0u can see here the white plastic nylon bung not working and the water is coming through regardless.

Using the metal ones instead and they work fine.

But what is this showing me you might ask?

Well remember this fucker?

Yeah I've dug back c3p0 again to see if the water pressure from inside the pipe will leak out. First I need to pump out the ground water against the pipe so I can actually see whats what.

Its maybe not obvious from this photo

but yeah its pissing out water straight away from the top of that second, lower ring on the adjustable joint. Thought I'd tightened that and fixed it.

I can't shift the thing either way. I might have to cut it out. It got dark at like 4pm and I'd had enough. I;ve gone and picked up a new, different brand version of the same thing I will try and fit tomorrow. If I achieve that, I'll test again before burying, but have a whole loving cascading plan of failures to try after that. FFS

In some way this is why I'm not payign someone else to fix this. Its my fuckup. And like to pay someone else would be to concede defeat but also like surely not best use of the data I have amassed. Like I kind if knew where the problem would be and yeah, that seems to be it, but its still taken a couple of days to get this far. Someone else would have to get it explained to them by me, and would maybe listen for a couple of minutes then glaze over at the idiot talking to them and start all over again. just to get here. and charge hundreds. thousands? everything is a thousand pounds. Like there isnt a building a house job that costs less than that if you pay someone.

anyway progress. not progress. but like time, expended.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 21, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

anyway progress. not progress. but like time, expended.

new thread title?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You have kept the house sealed up with all the new materials and plaster? I understand it may rain a lot there but my god man open some windows if you remember the complex secret code to do so.

Please get us a humidity reading in there. I have no idea what to do about pipes instead a fortune to have my whole house replied with modern stuff no clue how to do it.

Thread is a continual 5 out of 5

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Some windows you can sort of 'lock open,' so you open them a little bit and then reclose the handle so they are loced in place with enough of a gap to let air in, but not people. Or rats.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why do you need a smart meter from the power company?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He wants a three phase. Those don't come as standard.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

devicenull posted:

Why do you need a smart meter from the power company?

Because thats who gives it to you?

But my particular setup is...

that I have a power cabinet positioned halfway down the driveway where the power currently terminates. Where the meter is. And they did a poo poo job here taking up all my space. Before I can power up the house properly, because of the distance between the cabinet and the house, I need another set of breakers here (breakers? maybe not the right term but its all because of the distance) and there isnt room for everything unless the power company move and sort their poo poo first. They put tags you can't break on their bits. Its all very dumb.

I need the smart meter because I want to have the ability to pull down power against their live pricing which should mean they pay me to charge my car and ultimately house battery over night.

Also I want space in the cabinet to retain the breakout board I currently have and am using on a commando lead to power everything I do, to send power back up to the gate for an electric gate/lights/camera etc. I've got all the cabling and conduits in for all this. Just need some fucker from any power company to come and do their bit.

I can ring octopus tomorrow. (only mondays and wednesdays) no doubt to be told nah they havent got a slot...

and yeah as above. its 3 phase which apparently means everything is impossible.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Sounds like you need to find out who to bribe to get someone out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

He wants a three phase. Those don't come as standard.

He's designed the rest of the electrical system from scratch, he can't go with a dumb utility meter and add his own CTs? Random googling points me to https://www.newark.com/simpson/37027/three-phase-current-transformer/dp/25C2456 , which will do up to 100A