Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Shifty Pony posted:

Is that AC adapter for under cabinet lights or something?

I believe it's for a lovely surveillance system. The pigtails are from the 12V end, but connected to cables going outside the house.

I just don't know how I feel about having non-waterproof 120V AC right underneath a whole lot of plumbing. (The garbarater via electrical outlet too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Probably just needed a "pond" to hang out in during the dry season... I'm also guessing that toilet was in a shed outdoors somewhere.

For new content, here's under the kitchen sink at the place I'm currently renting. I'm sure this is all safe, legal and up to code, right?

... right?

I think this is the cheapest plumbing setup I've ever seen. I'm hard-pressed to see how to skimp on material more than this.

What does the ac adapter power?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I believe it's for a lovely surveillance system. The pigtails are from the 12V end, but connected to cables going outside the house.

I just don't know how I feel about having non-waterproof 120V AC right underneath a whole lot of plumbing. (The garbarater via electrical outlet too.)

Disposal on a gfci plug is code, at least here

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is not a GFCI receptacle, though it may possibly be downstream of one.

I have doubts.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so that's where wednesdays come from

my dudes

ALL THE WEDNESDAYS

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

That is not a GFCI receptacle, though it may possibly be downstream of one.

I have doubts.

ALL THE WEDNESDAYS

GFCI receptacles only go where they are accessible, so this won't be it. Garbage disposal should be on its own separate breaker as well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Looks like they ran the vertical conduit first and then got to the box and realized they can’t make the bend in that space

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

HolHorsejob posted:

I think this is the cheapest plumbing setup I've ever seen. I'm hard-pressed to see how to skimp on material more than this.

Could have used some of these for the supply shut-off valves:

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Deteriorata posted:

What the gently caress are you growing in your toilet tank that would feed that many frogs?

Green tree frogs hanging around toilets is super common in the North End of Australia - often they'll be in either an outhouse setting or in an old 'wet room' style area at the back of the house, accessed from the outside, often with a back door light nearby.

Frogs chill in the toilet for comfort, then go hang out near the light to eat bugs, rinse and repeat. Geckos do similar, sometimes even climbing above ceiling mounted light clobes and dropping through clouds of gnats to get a mouthful, before climbing back up from the ground (the bioeconomics of this was always a mystery to me, you'd think a few midges or a moth would give you less energy even if successful than the effort of climbing back up two metres).

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

Could have used some of these for the supply shut-off valves:

this is what we have in our kitchen and when i first saw it i thought we had no shutoff valve, I'd only seen the ones you turn 90 degrees before

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

HolHorsejob posted:

They could have used CPVC instead of PEX, not used a water hammer arrester, or used a plastic supply line on the right (the ones in the left look like the kind that are part of the faucet so I won't automatically fault them for that). Even the drain line for the garbage disposal is better than the super thin stuff that's common for sink drains.

As far as I'm concerned, all the dumb poo poo is on the electrical end.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cat Hatter posted:

As far as I'm concerned, all the dumb poo poo is on the electrical end.

Yeah that's my main worry.

Other fun stuff is the automatic gate in the back yard that's powered by a half-buried extension cord plugged into an outlet on the side of the house.

Fortunately the gate doesn't work due to subsidence. Also unplugging that extension cord was one of the first things I did at this place.

I still need to open up the weird wall panel in the basement that I think houses a small server for the surveillance system. (At least, I'm pretty sure I hear fan hum from it. (

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd6Yz1AdU54

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why would you notch the new board instead of pulling the wires and putting them through a drilled hole after installing it?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Seems like he didn't want to gently caress with electrical and undo whatever that run was attached to.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

What does the ac adapter power?
Actually looks better than what was under my sink. On mine, the builder used pex out the bottom of the cabinet, then a pex to copper adapter soldered directly to the the faucet, no way to replace the faucets without cutting out everything. However none of sinks have those kind of electrical gremlins present.

This must be underneath a sunken bathtub for the :females: . On a more serious note, would it be any better if he used a pair of 2x4s stacked instead of the half notched 2x8?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I think I would have drilled through and used carriage bolts and nuts.
In fact, I did, when I moved the location of an attic access hatch in order to clear some cabinets I was installing in the garage. Probably fine with the glue, though?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Is that pipe cross threaded?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nenonen posted:

The question I have is did they all develop there from tadpoles into grown frogs, in which case there's something for the tadpoles to eat, or did adult frogs invade the loo looking for food? Or are they all there just to have sex?

e: other cause I can think of is that they escaped from someone's terrarium and found the second next place.

As said above they're probably just enjoying somewhere cool and damp to escape the daytime heat. Green tree frogs are extremely common in central Australian toilets, when on a road trip up to the top end and back every public toilet was a game of 'spot the frog'. Hopefully having eaten the spiders. That many at once is unusual, though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Darchangel posted:

I think I would have drilled through and used carriage bolts and nuts.
In fact, I did, when I moved the location of an attic access hatch in order to clear some cabinets I was installing in the garage. Probably fine with the glue, though?

I thought glued and screwed was the proper way to attach a doubler to a joist but I’m also a previous owner in the making so I invite someone to correct me.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Is that pipe cross threaded?

Looks that way from here.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

CarForumPoster posted:

I thought glued and screwed was the proper way to attach a doubler to a joist but I’m also a previous owner in the making so I invite someone to correct me.

Also a previous owner but wood glue tends to be stronger than the wood itself and that is a heck of a lot of glue. I would have done bolts, personally, but if someone told me glue was the right way I’d believe it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CarForumPoster posted:

Oh, the glue is no problem. I just figure bolts and nuts to be suspenders to the glue's belt.
And I will undoubtedly be a previous owner, but I hope not too egregiously.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Also a previous owner but wood glue tends to be stronger than the wood itself and that is a heck of a lot of glue. I would have done bolts, personally, but if someone told me glue was the right way I’d believe it.

That's my thinking.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The correct way to sister joists and rafters is in fact carriage bolts, or at least nails if you are only adding a single sister. Glue is not a structural fastener.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

corgski posted:

Glue is not a structural fastener.

Pfft, next thing you'll tell me is that drywall shouldn't bear structural loads!

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

corgski posted:

The correct way to sister joists and rafters is in fact carriage bolts, or at least nails if you are only adding a single sister. Glue is not a structural fastener.

maybe I'm an idiot, but structural adhesives are definitely a thing, it seems fine to me. the glue will be stronger than the wood

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just make the entire house out of glue.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ComradePyro posted:

maybe I'm an idiot, but structural adhesives are definitely a thing, it seems fine to me. the glue will be stronger than the wood

It's not about whether there are adhesives labeled structural adhesives or not, it's about what code says is appropriate, and no code I've read will let you just glue to a joist to sister it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ComradePyro posted:

Since adhesives are not generally used in housing construction, I assume building codes don't consider them in their standards. Contractors are going to use mechanical fasteners because they're fast and easy.

Glue is probably excellent for the job, but nobody has developed any standards for it so we don't know for sure.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Needs more glue

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

There is so much fail going on here it's hard to quantify, but aside from the honking hole in those joists, it looks like someone stole their load bearing wall.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ComradePyro posted:

You are not an idiot, but a bond is only as strong as the mating faces. Are you going to trust that whomever assembles that will be doing the rigorous required surface prep necessary to create that bond?

Nails or carriage bolts as well.

and

corgski posted:

It's not about whether there are adhesives labeled structural adhesives or not, it's about what code says is appropriate, and no code I've read will let you just glue to a joist to sister it.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Harry_Potato posted:

There is so much fail going on here it's hard to quantify, but aside from the honking hole in those joists, it looks like someone stole their load bearing wall.

This is a picture a friend of mine sent me when I asked how their renovation was going.

Here is the same area after repairs.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 22, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Just make the entire house out of glue.

3D printing

I think this (9:30) is where I got glue and screw for doublers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23amU7EWy7g

He says dont screw because people use drywall screws but I'm using #8 torx head coated deck screw for any project like this which has roughly the same shear strength as a 16d framing nail.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ComradePyro posted:

Certain types of glues, like in those huge laminated arched beams that sometimes make up the roofs of certain commercial buildings, I haven't read closely here but PVA glue is not one of those.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: basically already said

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Imasalmon posted:

This is a picture a friend of mine sent me when I asked how their renovation was going.

:stare:

Joist ouroboros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Imasalmon posted:

I'm no pro, but I don't think joist hangers work like that.