Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

verbal enema posted:

So what was the complaint about the shooting in Control? Seems just fine to me, an expert gamer

The RPG side of it, mainly the weapon and personal mods with the MMO quality ranking system to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also the shooting was boring and limiting you to two forms/guns sucked. At least throwing rocks felt good once you upgraded it enough where it outclassed every gun in the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the shooting is okay at the start but enemy hp balloons and it's not good at varying things up

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I just finished the dlcs for control. I felt like they lowered the HP for enemies while bumping up the damage you take so it was manageable, but I’m looking forwards to Alan Wake 2 not having any of that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

can't imagine playing any of the LoH games at 1x speed.
its sooo slow. Would take ages to just finish simple 2-3 turn mob battles or move thru the fields and towns.

I did the Sky games on my Vita somehow, but I definitely just blitzed through Second Chapter, and was probably just watching YouTube/Netflix for the dungeons until plot happened, and I definitely couldn’t go back to that now with the PC ports and Steam Deck portability. I don’t think I did a single fight of Crossbell with the base battle speed, lol.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

porbation

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also the shooting was boring and limiting you to two forms/guns sucked. At least throwing rocks felt good once you upgraded it enough where it outclassed every gun in the game.

eh i like the restriction.
i'm not a shooting game player though, so i didn't wanna juggle like 10 guns at once

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Last Celebration posted:

I can’t say but I’d guess they do, tbh the cameos are kinda cute don’t really feel impactful since it’s only a few instances of being able to even talk to her to not make her backstory feel like a retcon, same with Towa. nonetheless, the option to go between x2 to x5 speed on turbo with seperate speed options for field/battles rules though and idk if the PS4 version has that.

I'm currently playing the PS4 port of Zero and it only has one Turbo mode as far as I can tell.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh look the snows here. sucks. #fuckthewhitefluffystuff

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Meowywitch posted:

oh look the snows here. sucks. #fuckthewhitefluffystuff

It is back here too, but at least this time it isn't like Halloween day with its sudden foot+ of snow and a day-long power outage.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Snowed Friday but its raining today so theres none left on the ground already.

Its only a matter of time though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the shooting is okay at the start but enemy hp balloons and it's not good at varying things up

On the one hand, in universe, the gun is by all accounts absolutely incredible all throughout history.

On the other hand, two or three skill points into Launch damage takes off 80-97% of any enemy's health bar shielded and unshielded.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IT4_UaiD-A

Important.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I think people who think the fighting in control wasn't any fun should try playing it like they're a mass effect vanguard, by which i mean leveling the dash/energy recharge/melee over the other options and mostly using the shotgun

Throw is unquestionably extremely good but it's a lot more fun to zoom around like a lunatic and punch people in the face. It works too, except on a couple of the boss fights where it's a big static enemy that you need to shoot from a distance. Those admittedly do kind of suck

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Only thing I didn’t like in Control was respawns, cause I get lost easily

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

sharkmafia posted:

I think people who think the fighting in control wasn't any fun should try playing it like they're a mass effect vanguard, by which i mean leveling the dash/energy recharge/melee over the other options and mostly using the shotgun

Throw is unquestionably extremely good but it's a lot more fun to zoom around like a lunatic and punch people in the face. It works too, except on a couple of the boss fights where it's a big static enemy that you need to shoot from a distance. Those admittedly do kind of suck
They could also just make other builds more fun

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Nate RFB posted:

After a certain point I had to remind myself to try to at least try to use items because I was killing bosses so quickly I never even had to think about healing. Though even if it's incredibly easy I still think it's a decently fun system, lots of steps to set up attacks/weakneses that give battles a nice flow.

Obviously the main draw is the setting/story/characters because by god what a vibe, it feels like a mid 2000s VN SOL section drawn out into an entire game and it works so well.

yeah i actually like the combat system a lot even though you don't really have to engage with it much.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Nate RFB posted:

They could also just make other builds more fun

Sure, that's fine. I wasn't really making an argument that actually control is flawless and you're all stupid, or whatever. I just think not enough people are aware of this method to make the game extremely loving rad. It really scratched my itch for another game where I could play like i did in me2/3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it would be better if control didnt have any of the rpg poo poo and you could just like. play with your tools freely. 90% of the rpg stuff is just pure percentage stat efficiency crap rather than anything you'll immediately be able to recognize as useful or, fun to use, and remedy frankly just is not an rpg dev, they're an action game dev. the game would benefit a lot from shaving the stats off so they can have a better idea of what you're capable of and thus a better way of designing around your capabilities. max payne gives you a lot of different weapons you could be using at all times and the key thing there is it will never take more than five seconds to kill an enemy so every option usually feels equally good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Never really saw it as an rpg, just because it has some weapon mods and stuff?
It be like calling Call of Duty online an rpg cause it has unlockable perks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The random rpg pickups do suck yea

oh boy, some detritus to collect and rifle through

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i think it would be better if modern AAA games didnt have any of the rpg poo poo and you could just like. play with your tools freely

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The inventory management aspect of the loot is especially baffling because your storage is small enough and you will so frequently get stuff at a lower rarity than either what you have on hand that you have to rumage through it very 2-3 rooms just to avoid having the game yell at you for running out of space.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i liked video games more when they were video games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i thought the combat in control was fine, like not great but it was functional. the weird loot system was totally unnecessary and did nothing except add busywork

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sharkmafia posted:

I did that, just throwing rocks was faster more reliable and not reliant on the gun reload/cooldown.

It just wasn't fun.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Throwing stuff works up until a point until you get flying enemies that dodge out of the way.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
My trick for the flying enemies was to shoot grenades at them so they dodge, then grab the nades out of the air and throw them into the flying enemies backs.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Maybe the funniest thing about doing the vanguard build was using your own flight powers to dash up to the flying guys and shoot/melee them point blank

I love a good movement tool and control's rapid-fire dash that was seemingly composed entirely of i-frames was a good one

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/10119030.html

Gaming futon, but one monitor holds it back despite looking super comfortable

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I do not like the map in control

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

verbal enema posted:

it's not great

it was a lot worse on a base ps4 at launch where it took several seconds to load in and then a couple more to load the right mipmap so you could actually read it lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Throwing stuff works up until a point until you get flying enemies that dodge out of the way.

They can only dodge one rock

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i think excessive sugar should be illegal

americans put it in everything and makes everything taste like poo poo

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

verbal enema posted:

I really liked Control, even many of the parts people generally didn't like.

I did not like the map.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Meowywitch posted:

i think excessive sugar should be illegal

americans put it in everything and makes everything taste like poo poo

Isnt a large amount of that sugar high fructose corn syrup as well? No wonder the country is hoovering up the global supply of Ozempic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Furnaceface posted:

Isnt a large amount of that sugar high fructose corn syrup as well? No wonder the country is hoovering up the global supply of Ozempic.

You don't get as much of it in bread products as you used to, but most mass-market sweetened/carbonated beverages use it as the primary sweetener (which I don't like, the sugar-based versions taste way better).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

control ftw, max payne ftw, quantum break ftw, alan woke ftw

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I hope they take the blood mazes out of the Max Payne remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hoep they add more because they owned plus gave the backstory