Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WeaponX posted:

Kissinger is dead and the Rangers are back on top of the league. Balance is restored.

back on top? back from when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
1994 I guess

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

1994 I guess

Lets go Raynjahs baby, love da Raynjahs.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Lets go Raynjahs baby, love da Raynjahs.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

back on top? back from when?

https://www.theonion.com/rangers-win-stanley-cup-15-years-ago-1819570832

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

https://www.theonion.com/rangers-win-stanley-cup-15-years-ago-1819570832

"The 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins had no comment about the year 2024."
That just made me feel old.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mr. Kite posted:

That just made me feel old.

Gotta be an improvement over what being a Kings fan typically feels like.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

The Capitals keep bullshitting wins and I like that

-5 goal differential and in the playoff hunt babyyyyy

Only 5 Ovi goals is pretty depressing though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's going to be quite the anticlimax if Ovi falls 20 goals short of Gretzky purely because he lost like 1.5 seasons to lockouts.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
They are currently at the same number of goals per game in their careers, but Ovi missing games in those peak years is rough.

But I think he’ll get back into gear soon. No worries, just the entire club basically betting on it to keep the fans engaged…

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's going to be quite the anticlimax if Ovi falls 20 goals short of Gretzky purely because he lost like 1.5 seasons to lockouts.

Couple of things about this:

#1, Gretzky also lost a half season to a lockout in 94-95.
#2 NHL seasons were 80 games for most of his career, not 82 (13 seasons) Which is 26 games, though there were also 2 seasons at 84 games, so its 22 total games.

So Ovi really has only lost ~60 games to what NHL was structured like during Gretzky's career, not 1.5 seasons.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ovie should be there now. He's at 827 now, we'll say he missed 45 in his age 18 season since he scored 52 the following year and probably wasn't as good at 18. For 2012, give him a 1-1 conversion from his KHL stats to add another 19 which seems close enough as it brings him to 51 which would be in line with his surrounding seasons. That gets him to 891 but then Wayne needs a couple added for his half season. He scored 23 the following year so add another 12 for him to get to 907.

So without workstoppages Ovie is probably in the neighborhood 10-20 back depending on how those seasons played out.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

#2 NHL seasons were 80 games for most of his career, not 82 (13 seasons) Which is 26 games, though there were also 2 seasons at 84 games, so its 22 total games.

Oh yeah, and those were Wayne's silly years too. That's probably something like 15 more for him (that's a 54 goal pace which might even be low for early Gretz). So like 30ish back then.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 30, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ovie also missed a bit of the 2020 season due to Covid.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

the one that gets me is Jagr and games played. He really deserves the Mr. Hockey name as much as anyone since Howe. He could have hit 2000 NHL games played if not for the lockouts and Russia. 4 full seasons and another 60 would put him at 2030 or something.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

Oh yeah, and those were Wayne's silly years too. That's probably something like 15 more for him (that's a 54 goal pace which might even be low for early Gretz). So like 30ish back then.

Ya his pace for those is ~16.5 goals he misses out on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jagr chose to gently caress off to Russia though which is very different

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1730259260095840336

oh man lets get some takes

Leon Draisaitl is very good defensively now everyone.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm pretty sure Ovi will still get the record. He's had slow starts before (albeit when he was younger) and still ended up fine. I think a lot of it is luck. He's shooting as much as he always has, but he's converting on 7% when he's usually in the 13-14% range. He could also use a better center, I think they play him with Kuznetsov a lot but Strome seems like the better choice. Washington is clearly in a downturn, despite their recent success, but if they're serious about Ovechkin breaking the record they should probably try to get some players to help improve the team a bit too. They've got like 6 mil in cap space or something so it's definitely doable, and easy to justify while they're holding down this playoff spot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Jagr chose to gently caress off to Russia though which is very different

So did Ovechkin.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think the better the Capitals are, and the less Ovi is producing actually leads to him scoring less goals not more. If they have a shot to go far and Ovi is somehow holding them back, they'll back off his minutes some. If they sucked poo poo his minutes wouldn't matter.

Edit: He's leading the team in scoring with 12 points?? What in the world.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

thanks for letting me know I don't need to click the link

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

the one that gets me is Jagr and games played. He really deserves the Mr. Hockey name as much as anyone since Howe. He could have hit 2000 NHL games played if not for the lockouts and Russia. 4 full seasons and another 60 would put him at 2030 or something.

Yeah, Jagr was ridiculous. He also missed the half season for 94-95 so let's say 25 for that. He scored 31 and 54 surrounding the lockout so we'll just say 40 to keep it simple. The year before and after leaving for his 3 year Russia trip he had 25 and 19 which lines up with how he did there (25-22-19 in ~50 game seasons) so we'll just give him the 66. He wasn't the same Jagr by 2013 so we'll just give him 10 there. An extra 141 puts him at 901.

Howe getting credit for his 6 WHA years would be crazy too if we're adding other leagues. He had 174 in the WHA for 975, but it's probably not a straight 1-1 translation. He never had more than 34 so he wasn't putting up super inflated numbers though. He had 15 in his comeback NHL season so he could still play. Just giving him the 15 a year would put him at 892. 20 a year gets him to 922.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

https://twitter.com/hockeystatcards/status/1729265479616020676?s=20

Trouba not a net negative this year :eyepop:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

How much time did Gretzky lose? Half a season for the 95? I can’t even remember how long that was
Plus injuries ovechkin generally hasn’t had
Would ovechkin have been a rookie in 2005 if that season was played?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Levitate posted:

Would ovechkin have been a rookie in 2005 if that season was played?

He was drafted the year before Sid but they would up coming into the league together post-lockout.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its not even 100% that Ovi would have played in the NHL in the lockout year. He was signed in Russia for another season.

Edit: Rumour was Dynamo wanted somewhere between 3-5 million for his release to happen.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/VGK_PR/status/1730009398540660973?t=kkY_CKQvncuaS_a8o0WUPg&s=19

If only they didn't suck rn.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

managed to post that without reading all the discussion about it that answered my questions anyways, hah

I find it a bit hard to cheer for ovechkin breaking the record since he has always been a Rangers nemesis and also i think it'd make people just a little bit mad if he doesn't and fuel more angry "who is the best goal scorer in history" rants for years to come

I also think it's entirely possible that at 38 hsi shooting percentage isn't a lock to return to his career average. Age comes for everyone and players don't always gracefully age and decline in a linear fashion

Crying tears for Vegas over here that poor franchise that has never experienced success

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I was told he was bad tho

In all honesty he had a couple of blocks that probably saved the game last night. Oh captain my captain.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Player ratings are the Dom Luszczyszyn numbers that rate Jared Spurgeon the best defenseman in the league.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Player ratings are the Dom Luszczyszyn numbers that rate Jared Spurgeon the best defenseman in the league.

Yeah but when the player is on my team it’s correct

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
the best defenceman in the league is obviously kucherov because: the best defense is a great offense. i think

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I'm glad NYR loves him so much because he is very bad, especially this season.

Aphrodite posted:

the nerds say you're wrong!! Repent! :

pay no attention to at least one of the nerds saying I'm wrong and Kakko is bad. He will never be bad, he is perfect.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Koopa Kid look away:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Trouba really hasn't been bad this season people just mad because da raynja's are back baby

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Still no clue what he did.

https://x.com/reporterchris/status/1730320098726949296?s=46

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My guess is he probably got sloshed and said something highly inappropriate to a sponsor rep at that holiday party.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If it was that simple we'd know it by now. The Blackhawks and NHL are furiously working to keep it firmly under the rug.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

He broke the seal and did a big ole piss on the logo. Maybe an upper decker as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Koopa Kid look away:

For the record eXxon was much more pro-Gus than me in the off-season, I knew in my bones that Gustafsson would never re-sign with the team after Keefe benched him basically 90% of the time the Leafs had him (because Sheldon Keefe is a moron). Was just not meant to be.

I thought Klingberg was high risk but potentially high reward, unfortunately I did not factor in the likelihood of his hips detaching from his body in mid-October.