Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Larryb posted:

Also considering the Netflix show survived there may come a time where we have 4 versions of One Piece running at the same time

Wait, what's the 4th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, what's the 4th?

The manga, the current anime, the live action series, and the upcoming reboot

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
toei, wit, live action, manga

i refuse to e;fb by also changing it to 5 by including one pace

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Am I the only one who doesn't want this? I like most of the old animation style

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i asked oda and he said they're not going to destroy the old anime episodes and you can still watch thme

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm going to destroy the old anime episodes so no one has to suffer through anime Impel Down ever again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ah. well then

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm going to destroy the old anime episodes so no one has to suffer through anime Impel Down Dressrosa ever again.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I do wonder how quick the pacing will be. Are we going to skip over panels, pages, chapters etc if they aren't that important in the grand scheme of things? Or is this still going to be several hundred episodes or something with 3-5 chapters per episode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1736331161633161655?t=FZWG7bHCVRCBurExrFu3hg&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vegapunk and the rest of his gang have also already been cast and can be seen on the same page (I forget if it’s the same actor that voiced him in a flashback a while ago though)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

i mean you can complain all you want about timing and release schedules and hype cycles etc but netflix delivered a pretty much flawless adaptation of jjba part 6. which i would never have imagined when i was watching the duwang fansubs of part 1

They mean the localisation of Stand names on Netflix/Crunchyroll, and how terrible they are.

If you just :filez: them you get the proper names

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well that aspect is completely out of their control, it's consistent among every piece of official Jojo media no matter who's distributing it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't want this? I like most of the old animation style

I like a lot of the old animation too but I would also like to be able to recommend the one piece anime to people without sounding like a crazy person directing them to download a fan edit that trims the filler to bring the series down to mere 700 episodes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Infinitum posted:

They mean the localisation of Stand names on Netflix/Crunchyroll, and how terrible they are.

Speaking of, there hasn’t been any word on a Steel Ball Run anime yet has there? Though based on the pattern thus far we might not see that until 2025 at the earliest

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just recommend the Manga which is perfect as is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

hatty posted:

I just recommend the Manga which is perfect as is

me to my family, five years ago: “you can just read one piece.”
me to my family, lately: “you can just read one piece!”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Infinitum posted:

No they mean that Stone Ocean got screwed by Netflix’s release model which led to a huge dropoff in viewers.
DavidPro’s adaptation of Stone Ocean (especially its ending) was still great sure but that had absolutely nothing to do with Netflix.

Also Netflix’s translations have a tendency to just be really really bad. They devolve into downright broken English at times.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 17, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Julias posted:

Great news for sure. The remake project happening in of itself isn't surprising to me, just the timing of it. I also would have figured that it wouldn't have happened until after the original anime run had ended.
Yeah same. It makes some sense though, One Piece probably could be a lot more popular in the West than it is if it had a lavish anime adaptation

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Netflix’s handling of the episodes sucked, but Maiden Heaven was a really good localization so there’s that at least.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Augus posted:

Also Netflix’s translations have a tendency to just be really really bad. They devolve into downright broken English at times.

This is why you watch the dubs

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

it’s an issue with their subs and their dubs. Their localization of the fourth evangelion movie was a mess

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Augus posted:

it’s an issue with their subs and their dubs. Their localization of the fourth evangelion movie was a mess

I don't think Netflix had the rights for the last Rebuild of Evangelion?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They didn't, Amazon Prime did

anyway,

lmao

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Afaik the Netflix Eva dub/subs at least having literally the worst localization of any big name prestige series ever was the mandate of the Japanese owners.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Just give it the Gundam movie treatment and name them like Evangelion:

One Piece 0.1 - Mouth Swords Aren't Apathy
One Piece 0.2 - The Clowns Do Not Die
One Piece 0.3 - Pinnochio Has Not Yet Ascended
One Piece 0.4 - Food on the Sea but the Soul Cannot
One Piece 0.5 - Fishmen Need Navigators Too
One Piece 0.6 - Dads Break Wind for Protection
One Piece 0.7 - Backward is Forward
One Piece 0.8 - Mah-mah-maaah~!
One Piece 0.9 - GegyaGegyaGegyaGegyaGegyaGegya
One Piece 1.0 - Afros Are the Anti-entropy

PuttyKnife fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 17, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Waffleman_ posted:

Nevahs

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's time to bring 4Kids back

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's time to bring 4Kids back
The pirate rap guy seems really into it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zoro Zolo having the same VA as Guts was perfect

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tampa Bae posted:

The pirate rap guy seems really into it

As he should

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of anime announcements, 2024 feels almost high time for the first peeps on the next movie

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Augus posted:

Zoro Zolo having the same VA as Guts was perfect

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AIMJ1fyTuf0

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of anime announcements, 2024 feels almost high time for the first peeps on the next movie

It's just going to be ganzack with the new anime style

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

The script sucked for the 4kids dub but some of the voice actors were way better than who replaced them

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tampa Bae posted:

The script sucked for the 4kids dub but some of the voice actors were way better than who replaced them

Agreed. Marc Diraison's Zolo was better than Christopher Sabat's Zoro.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tampa Bae posted:

i unironically love sanjis 4kids voice actor

maybe not for the whole series, but i do.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Julias posted:

Agreed. Marc Diraison's Zolo was better than Christopher Sabat's Zoro.
I think Nami and Robin were worse in the 4kids dub, but there's arguments that Luffy and Usopp were as good or better than their replacements too. The 4Kids Zoro was absolutely the best dub voice and that theoretical 4kids voice dub where Franky sounded like Arnold is goated

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LUFFYYYYYYYY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

I think Nami and Robin were worse in the 4kids dub, but there's arguments that Luffy and Usopp were as good or better than their replacements too. The 4Kids Zoro was absolutely the best dub voice and that theoretical 4kids voice dub where Franky sounded like Arnold is goated

God I love lovely Arnold fandub Franky.

“Looks like this one’s…up in ze air!”
“The best laid plans…of me”