Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

One thing that I really liked about this flashback was

How it recontextualizes how Bonney quickly went from "I'm going to kill Vegapunk" to "nah he's cool actually" after she touched the bubble. It's like, yeah, me too kid.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
can’t wait for Kuma to explode when Saturn detonates the bomb, have him tank it, extract the pain from the explosion and everything else he’s tanked since Sabody (since it really seems like he hasn’t been repaired in all that time) and shove his pain paw into Saturn’s miserable loving face.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

can’t wait for Kuma to explode when Saturn detonates the bomb, have him tank it, extract the pain from the explosion and everything else he’s tanked since Sabody (since it really seems like he hasn’t been repaired in all that time) and shove his pain paw into Saturn’s miserable loving face.

Oh poo poo you know something the last couple chapters opens up: Kuma is, indeed gone. But his robo body does show up for reason - and Bonney can do that 'future power' thing to extract Kuma's pain and shoving it into Saturn herself.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Oh poo poo you know something the last couple chapters opens up: Kuma is, indeed gone. But his robo body does show up for reason - and Bonney can do that 'future power' thing to extract Kuma's pain and shoving it into Saturn herself.

holy poo poo this would rule

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I cried when i read it, i cried when i read the thread and I cried more when i realized this is the legit first time I have felt that the end is really happening soon what a loving way to recap the story

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Well, keep in mind that is the accumulated damage Luffy took from his whole time on Thriller Bark. Then imagine taking all of that damage at once in a single instant. Yeah, that'd knock out even the heartiest of pirates.

Unless you're Zoro, that is. :zoro:

I think the true takeaway from all of this is that Gecko Moria is way stronger than we give him credit for, and he will join as a commander in Cross Guild and be pivotal in defeating the Red Hair Pirates in the fight for the One Piece

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I think the true takeaway from all of this is that Gecko Moria is way stronger than we give him credit for, and he will join as a commander in Cross Guild and be pivotal in defeating the Red Hair Pirates in the fight for the One Piece

tbh Moria only ever even lost because he pulled a Vegeta and threw a fight he had dead to rights.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Gecko Moria is what happens to Luffy if Kuma hadn’t saved the strawhats at Sabaody. Moria’s crew got massacred and Moria barely escaped with his life, became depressed and stopped going outside and got fat. Dude needs to see that parallel himself and then maybe he can move on with his life. Hell if he saw that maybe he could do a face turn and join the Strawhats. Instead he will continue to be addicted to taking more Ls than anyone else in the series (except maybe Kuma RIP bro) and join cross guild just in time to be abandoned by Buggy, Mihawk, and Crocodile.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You know, it just occurred to me that Gecko Moria was supposedly imprisoned by Blackbeard before Luffy defeated Kaido. I genuinely wonder what sort of reaction he would have to hearing that Luffy did what he failed to do 20+ years prior.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He'd probably go "It's Morian' time" and mor on some dudes

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Julias posted:

You know, it just occurred to me that Gecko Moria was supposedly imprisoned by Blackbeard before Luffy defeated Kaido. I genuinely wonder what sort of reaction he would have to hearing that Luffy did what he failed to do 20+ years prior.

Unironically, he is going to swear fealty to Luffy as the man that punched Kaido, the man that took everything (his nakama) from him, into the ground.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kinda surprised Gecko Moria is alive at this point would have thought Blackbeard would murder him for his fruit like Absalom.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kinda surprised Gecko Moria is alive at this point would have thought Blackbeard would murder him for his fruit like Absalom.

We actually haven't seen his alive yet, we're just going off of what Perona has said :ssh:

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Julias posted:

We actually haven't seen his alive yet, we're just going off of what Perona has said :ssh:

Blackbeard was pretty clear in that Moria should skedaddle, and it really seemed like he wasn't trying to capture him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

tbh Moria only ever even lost because he pulled a Vegeta and threw a fight he had dead to rights.
While that's true I feel like a lot of his power derived from his huge collection of shadows and bodies that he's now lost. Now that he's lost all that it seems like it would take years for him to regather his strength

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Gecko Moria is what happens to Luffy if Kuma hadn’t saved the strawhats at Sabaody. Moria’s crew got massacred and Moria barely escaped with his life, became depressed and stopped going outside and got fat. Dude needs to see that parallel himself and then maybe he can move on with his life. Hell if he saw that maybe he could do a face turn and join the Strawhats. Instead he will continue to be addicted to taking more Ls than anyone else in the series (except maybe Kuma RIP bro) and join cross guild just in time to be abandoned by Buggy, Mihawk, and Crocodile.
Moria went ride or die into Blackbeard's territory to get Absalom back and turned down a chance to save his own life when BB offered him a place on his crew so I feel like that's two fairly big Ws that show he's on the path towards being a Good Pirate

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I really, really, really, really want to see Saturn flattened like a pancake now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hopefully we get a silhouette of his body clearly being just loving obliterated and/or vaporized in the blast of kuma's killswitch bomb

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
You know, I will be completely okay if it turns out that Oda didn’t confirm if Big Mom and Kaido were killed or not so as not to detract from Saturn very clearly being killed.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

great ch!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I don’t think merely defeating the Gorosei is going to be enough (not like the Celestial Dragons changed their ways at all after Luffy beat them up), these bastards need to die

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I don’t think merely defeating the Gorosei is going to be enough (not like the Celestial Dragons changed their ways at all after Luffy beat them up), these bastards need to die

i would have a ton of respect for oda if luffy decided to kill a character outright. not accidentally like what might have happened with kaido. just outright going "im going to kill you" for the first and only time in the series. like imu is just *that* bad

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

anime was right posted:

i would have a ton of respect for oda if luffy decided to kill a character outright. not accidentally like what might have happened with kaido. just outright going "im going to kill you" for the first and only time in the series. like imu is just *that* bad

Luffy punching Imu into a moon would be cool

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
pretty much every arc has the structure of “people on island have major problem with an oppressor/exploiter/colonizer -> they exhaust every possible option available to them, up to and including suicide bombing in a few cases -> luffy arrives at the last minute and beats the bad guy up.” the night is darkest just before the dawn and all that. i think luffy beating the bad guy up has always been a metaphor for something specific but i havent totally nailed it down - nonetheless, i believe luffy outright killing someone would be prpblematic to the series-wide themes and metaphors, even if i cant really explain why

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Luffy punching Imu into a moon would be cool

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

What else could he do with Akainu? Use his new powers to take away his bending devil fruit?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think one of the big themes of One Piece is the importance of Dreams. They're so important they supersede the very life of the person who had them, hence the whole "Inherited Will" concept. Countless times in the series you see people give their lives for their dreams, knowing somewhere down the line somebody else will make them real. Based on that, Oda's made it clear in the past that destroying an enemies hopes/dreams is the worst punishment you could give them.

In a setting where Dreams are more important than Life itself, just killing someone is basically letting them off easy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean whether or not Kaido actually died from his lava bath the stated goal throughout the arc was definitely “kill Kaido”, not “kick Kaido’s rear end”.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

While it would be satisfying for them to outright kill Saturn, I'd still prefer they capture him and drag him along as a hostage. As we get into the endgame, it would be fun to have someone saying "stop you fools!" and giving the perspective of the status quote to the heroes. In the past it's always been such a distant and unknown thing, but once we start getting answers to mysteries we're gonna need more of that perspective on screen to have something to fight against, y'know.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Saturn as the new Unwilling Guest for the trip to Elbaf sounds funny ngl.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ya Luffy would just be sending him home. what a nice guy

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Augus posted:

I mean whether or not Kaido actually died from his lava bath the stated goal throughout the arc was definitely “kill Kaido”, not “kick Kaido’s rear end”.

No, it was "free Wano from Kaido's rule" which includes "kick Kaido's unkickable rear end". Kill Kaido technically does that too, but I don't think we got a panel of Luffy going "I'm going to murder".

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ultimately, in one piece, the dead are martyrs. so i dont see luffy killing anyone

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No, it was "free Wano from Kaido's rule" which includes "kick Kaido's unkickable rear end". Kill Kaido technically does that too, but I don't think we got a panel of Luffy going "I'm going to murder".

Didn’t Law specifically make the alliance in the first place for the goal of taking out Kaido?

Also Luffy took part in the failed assassination of Big Mom during Whole Cake so it’s not like he’s morally opposed to killing or something

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Drakkel posted:

I think one of the big themes of One Piece is the importance of Dreams. They're so important they supersede the very life of the person who had them, hence the whole "Inherited Will" concept. Countless times in the series you see people give their lives for their dreams, knowing somewhere down the line somebody else will make them real. Based on that, Oda's made it clear in the past that destroying an enemies hopes/dreams is the worst punishment you could give them.

In a setting where Dreams are more important than Life itself, just killing someone is basically letting them off easy.
Yeah I think the idea will be that letting them live to see their status quo torn down will prove a worse punishment than death

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the characters definitely said “We’re gonna kill Kaido” and “We’re taking Kaido’s head” and variants of that a bunch of times, Luffy included

Like I don’t think Luffy is particularly opposed to killing so much as he just doesn’t fight people out of malice, if the fight ends with a KO and that achieves his goal then that’s good enough for him.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 22, 2023

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

It's a pretty common trope to have human-shaped villains turn into monsters before they are explicitly killed, so as to avoid having a human be killed by the good guys in a kids show. So I could see Kuma having another showdown with Saturn to mirror the one on God Valley but it ending with Kuma killing spider-demon Saturn, then Kuma dying too since he killed someone, but he's technically a robot so again it's not a human dying (Vegapunk killed him in this chapter)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
To try and make up for the FEELS of this chapter...

I sure hope amongst all those memories Bonney didn't 'Sacha from Psychonauts' herself and see some things no child should ever see from the viewpoint of their parents.

This joke however relies on the idea that Kuma and Ginny did act like a normal couple: I can honestly see Kuma as being SO innocent they never consummated or even kissed, the 'marriage' being like their form of the ultimate platonic unity instead of a romantic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cornwind Evil posted:

To try and make up for the FEELS of this chapter...

I sure hope amongst all those memories Bonney didn't 'Sacha from Psychonauts' herself and see some things no child should ever see from the viewpoint of their parents.

This joke however relies on the idea that Kuma and Ginny did act like a normal couple: I can honestly see Kuma as being SO innocent they never consummated or even kissed, the 'marriage' being like their form of the ultimate platonic unity instead of a romantic one.

goons truly are becoming ancient. psychonauts is not a phrase I've heard in a long rear end time