Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Tree Goat posted:

in the gentlest and most loving way i can ask, has anybody itt ever correctly predicted a future story element (beyond the overt foreshadowing stuff like "idk if this makima lady is on the up and up")? for that matter, has adtrw in general ever done so? i'm not counting witch from mercury because "the secret powerful weapon is powered by the life force of a child" is practically the free space in gundam bingo. like at this point if somebody says "this character is throwing death flags" or whatever i'm assuming the next few chapters will be them setting up a roth ira and working on lowering their cholesterol and moving to the suburbs and going to pta meetings.

anyway we haven't seen the last of bucky

I accurately guessed the Darkness Devil before it appeared.

Also this

Mraagvpeine posted:

By this logic couldn't she turn her home into a super powerful weapon? Downside is she'd be homeless.

V : I would say it's more emotional investment than owning something, otherwise how would she turn people into weapons?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Whirling posted:

The numbers, Fujimoto, what do they mean?!

i went back into our discord messages and found a picture of what he was talking about. hopefully the Highlights For Children Magazine Puzzles Devil doesn't show up and prove him right

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, huh. I googled that and apparently it shows up in a bunch of chapters. I'd put more on it being a secret artist signature thing than a SECRET PLOT THING though.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

imo pochita is just the chainsaw devil and the reason hes that strong is that he got lucky and took a bite out of a stronger devil and snowballed from there

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah that is just something some assistants do

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like the speculations. It's like when you hear someone say something really cool and then it turns out you misheard it, which means the cool idea is all yours now! There are neat ideas in this thread that Fujimoto isn't going to explore, so now we have all these neat ideas hanging around that somebody could write a neat short story with or some poo poo.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Tree Goat posted:

no? i was saying that, as an example on these last couple pages, that people were speculating about what fear/devil chainsaw really represents (which, again, are all perfectly fine posts to make/speculations to have!) and came up with (again, plausible!) guesses like starvation devil, forgotten devil, devouring devil, extinction devil, etc., which cannot not all be simultaneously true and so are at least 4-5 eventual "misses".

my goon

Tree Goat posted:

in the gentlest and most loving way i can ask, has anybody itt ever correctly predicted a future story element (beyond the overt foreshadowing stuff like "idk if this makima lady is on the up and up")? for that matter, has adtrw in general ever done so? i'm not counting witch from mercury because "the secret powerful weapon is powered by the life force of a child" is practically the free space in gundam bingo. like at this point if somebody says "this character is throwing death flags" or whatever i'm assuming the next few chapters will be them setting up a roth ira and working on lowering their cholesterol and moving to the suburbs and going to pta meetings.

anyway we haven't seen the last of bucky

you called out the entire forum in this post. I was simply expecting a stronger pov on the subject than you are giving. I'll give this up because it's honestly off topic but like support your arguments better

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Did nobody realize the panels were very intentional in chapter 111, showing Denji asleep while Yuko got bdroom'ed? There's been a second one this whole time. It's probably Pochita still running around solo after the Makima gambit.

My money is he hangs out with Kobeni now.

Ranzear posted:

I do not want to think about what goes awry if something happened to their critters in the meanwhile. I don't want this whole scene to be telegraphing... :ohdear:

I'm gonna brag about my hits. Both a little loose and strongly telegraphed though.

Edit: First one is after the reveal but was talked about in discord, during my catchup reading.

Double edit: A followup call related to the first one -- Impostor Devil

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 22, 2023

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

my goon

you called out the entire forum in this post. I was simply expecting a stronger pov on the subject than you are giving. I'll give this up because it's honestly off topic but like support your arguments better

i mean it seemed like you were directly asking me to tell you when somebody has ever been incorrect in a prediction with the tone of somebody unveiling a yugioh trap card so i assume that’s the info you wanted. i was fishing for examples where people were right/made unexpected called shots, and people provided some that were interesting which i didn’t know about, so that was cool though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Definitely think Loneliness is the most thematically appropriate secret identity. It’s practically all anyone in the story talks about.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Definitely think Loneliness is the most thematically appropriate secret identity. It’s practically all anyone in the story talks about.

the loneliness devil already showed up in a light novel spinoff. fujimoto illustrated it so i doubt he'd reuse that concept in the main story

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I've always thought that if Pochita represented something beyond being a chainsaw it's freedom. The entire first part is the battle between freedom and control and ends with Denji and Nayuta forming a society of sorts. Nayuta gives up some of her control to get along with Denji, and Denji gives up some of his freedom to take care of Nayuta.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I was thinking, Is Denji supposed to age? The hybrids aren’t supposed to according to Whip and Quanxi. He definitely looks physically older in part 2 compared to part 1, especially his face.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
He's just haggard

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think it's just a change in how he's drawn, since hybrids don't change appreciably from when they're "born" so to speak.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Vonnie posted:

He's just haggard

it's this. you can not age but still look older. also considering Denji made a repli-body during his fight with Makima. I think they might actually be able to control how their bodies appear outwardly

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you're dodging the question. I asked you to list the previous misses. you now are going into a meta conversation about posters

My favorite is the Falling Devil, and the solid weak of people being loving morons trying to guess what it was.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

yum posted:

I was thinking, Is Denji supposed to age? The hybrids aren’t supposed to according to Whip and Quanxi. He definitely looks physically older in part 2 compared to part 1, especially his face.

If I remember right, aging and maturing are different biological processes. So Denji can reach adulthood, but he's going to stay in his prime forever after that.

And he'll look haggard anyway, because he's a depressed single dad who almost never gets to have fun and who, until just now, had to watch after a ton of pets.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I guess the message is that child (and pet) care can wear down even an immortal.

Denji is drawn super young/innocent by comparison in part 1 though, the difference really stood out to me when I was rereading some parts of it.

yum fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 22, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mulva posted:

My favorite is the Falling Devil, and the solid weak of people being loving morons trying to guess what it was.

But that was fun and everyone had a good time laughing about it when it was revealed?

Fujimoto is such an unpredictable storyteller that half the fun is guessing increasingly ridiculous poo poo and still being wrong about it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mulva posted:

hurrrrrr

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mulva posted:

it was an incredible moment and the revelation was some of the most fun I've had reading this thread

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

it was an incredible moment and the revelation was some of the most fun I've had reading this thread

It's even more fun, because Yoru was doing the same kind of reasoning to get to an answer. (Only she is apparently right in saying she's not stupid, because she nailed the answer. Unlike us.)

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
gonna put my name in the hat and go with pochita being the editing devil

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Since devils are the manifestation of human fears, I wonder if some of them are just modernized versions of things that always existed, and by extension if those devils just kinda mutated from the older phobia. There’s probably weapons and tools that used to be feared before falling out of ubiquity like guillotines, but idk if those things just go the Bucky route of just being little guys.

…huh, I kinda wonder if Pochita’s entire existence is meant to counteract the fact that devils never conventionally die otherwise but new fears/phobias are being created by humans. It could be that he was just manifested into being because there were too many things to be scared of and someone needed to cull the demon world, and he’s just the Chainsaw Devil because of the whims of a higher power.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Turns out Pochita was Death Devil all along and they're literally summoning him right now. :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ningan_0813/status/1739210936412721226

Not official of course, but holy poo poo even at this stage it looks sick

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I’m on team extinction devil, with chainsaw as a representation of environmental destruction + able to cause the extinction of concepts.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

The -ita in Pochita implies there is a bigger one.

El Pocho

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Archenteron posted:

El Pocho

Isn't that just the Chainsaw Devil? :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe the Chainsaw Devil's ability to "erase" devils came from eating another devil, the Amnesia Devil. If people forget a fear, it stops existing, right?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Archenteron posted:

El Pocho

not necessarily, the diminutive could just be used as a descriptor. it's not inherently a comparison to something else

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 25, 2023

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/iing_naoe/status/1739253260966609214

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Makidnapping

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, given how much Fujimoto loves movies, I wonder if "Nobody" might be an influence on Denji's arc. Action movie, 2021, stars Bob Odenkirk.

Basically, it's about an ordinary seeming 9/5 schlub whose house gets robbed. He has an ambush on the thieves, but when he sees they aren't going to escalate to shooting anyone, he lets them go. He's mocked and dumped on by his in-laws and neighbors, and eventually on not finding his daughter's beloved kittycat bracelet, he decides enough is enough, and goes after the thieves... revealing that he's a former government assassin who got out of the game.

The bit that makes me think of Chainsaw Man, though, is how the film steadily emphasizes how much he missed being in the game. He's not the guy who doesn't want trouble. He wants trouble a lot, and he's disappointed when he doesn't get it.

Denji's been trying to convince himself the ordinary life is enough, and he's been miserable. Now, though?

He's got a hot girl in peril to rescue, pets to avenge, and a bunch of dumb fuckers who nobody will defend right in chainsaw range. He's ecstatic,

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that is just a common character motive

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Wife got me a Denji figure (by Kotobukiya) for xmas. Goes with my Power I got a few months ago.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, seeing Denji in color really reminds me of how loving painful Chainsaw Man mode must be, it’s something I kinda gloss over in black and white a lot of the times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Nooo don't take Pochita from Denji :(