Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
no, OTHER than luffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Upsidads posted:

I want to go to Japan this year is there any cool one piece destinations? I know the Tokyo tower thing is gone.

There's a few One Piece merchandise stores located in the Shinjuku area you'd probably dig, I visited them during September last year. I think most One Piece things are gonna be temporary set-ups for a limited run before phased out (i.e. theme parks, cafes, things like that).

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
So I’ve been wondering whatwas where Ennies Lobby is now? It would seem, given recent events, that we kind of know where it came from now.

PuttyKnife fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 8, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gologle posted:

So do none of the rank and file in the [any real world government here] get how evil they are?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Are we the baddies dot gif

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
please tell me there's a chapter this week. i am literally having withdrawals waiting to see this punch land. it's my most anticipated hit ever in over 1k chapters of one piece.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

tbp posted:

please tell me there's a chapter this week. i am literally having withdrawals waiting to see this punch land. it's my most anticipated hit ever in over 1k chapters of one piece.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

The Yeti Cool Brothers look like they’re wearing straw hats. Do any other characters actually wear a straw hat besides them and Luffy/Shanks/Roger?

its not the exact same style, but ace made the hat for oars jr that was supposedly in the style of a special old type of giant hat.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Paper Lion posted:

its not the exact same style, but ace made the hat for oars jr that was supposedly in the style of a special old type of giant hat.

The only thing special about it was that it was wanoese and it showed ace had been there, the hat chopper was wearing that caught the wind at the start of the arc was the same.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gologle posted:

So do none of the rank and file in the World Government get how evil they are?

this is covered in the spinoff series “actual reality”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

yeah

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

manga only readers should feel very comfortable starting the anime here. the amount of spoilers in the op suggest that pretty strongly

Yeah I'm in for the anime as of this storyline. I'm hoping that the quality keeps up.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Did they ever mention how Vegapunk is going to run away when his brain is built into the Labophase

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Meme Emulator posted:

Did they ever mention how Vegapunk is going to run away when his brain is built into the Labophase

Wi fi, I think his brain as it is is seperated and likely nearly indestructible.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He's just stuck an antenna in his brain, how far it affects his overall memory remains to be seen. Possibly it'll just be ignored as he won't be able to continue his research for now anyway and he probably only uploaded his research rather than his core memories, or maybe Oda will turn it into a gag.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

iirc Saturn also mentioned that the Vega brain was one of the couple of things he didn't want to see destroyed in their raid too. Which does make me think it might get destroyed.

Still kinda hoping Vegapunk makes it out alive.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

PuttyKnife posted:

So I’ve been wondering whatwas where Ennies Lobby is now? It would seem, given recent events, that we kind of know where it came from now.

Personally, I think a certain sun god tanked the weapon fire to protect innocent people. Everything not directly shielded by his body was vaporised, all the way down into the depths.

As for what it was before its destruction... that's something I've been thinking about myself recently. It's interesting how Marineford resembles a crescent moon and Impel Down resembles a sun from above/below. Perhaps Enies Lobby resembled a full moon? Or the planet itself?

Meme Emulator posted:

Nope, I'm 99% sure it hasn't been addressed in the text. I assume each satellite holds their own specialty knowledge and between all of them they have a copy of most of VP's most important knowledge/skills. I highly doubt Stella's wifi range is indefinite though, he's probably come to terms with not bring able to take the whole thing with him.

Shaka's death means no backup of the void century research though, which really sucks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Been thinking more and more about Oda "making up" that physicist who said everything that can be imagined can exist, and thinking gently caress it, Oda's right, that dude existed and his science holds up :hmmyes:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

anime was right posted:

there are seriously like 10000 instances where like the straw hat is used as symbolism for the dawn/sun

this is my favorite tho

my man luffy got the hat on loving 'dawn' island lmao

Wow, the clouds and sun together here look like the straw hat. :stare: How did I only just now notice this?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wow, the clouds and sun together here look like the straw hat. :stare: How did I only just now notice this?

Yeah there were a bunch of posts here that were like “it’s so obvious” but I didn’t see it until those posts

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
If you think about it hard enough, the whole planet looks like a straw hat from a certain angle

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nuebot posted:

If you think about it hard enough, the whole planet looks like a straw hat from a certain angle

Straw Hats going to Saturn confirmed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Straw Hats going to Saturn confirmed.

Kuma appears to be beating them there.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
My favorite 'Straw Hat' is the upside-down one on the Moon Mural that the robots are standing on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I prefer to think that Enies Lobby is just a naturally occurring Mystery Island.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Nuebot posted:

in the new OP the overhead shot of egghead on a map looks like a sun rising from the clouds and then at the east end of the grand line theres a glimmer right after lol

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

in the new OP the overhead shot of egghead on a map looks like a sun rising from the clouds and then at the east end of the grand line theres a glimmer right after lol
Always wonder how much of this is specific direction from Oda, his editors or other officials at Shueisha vs. animators and artists picking out underlying themes from the work they're adapting

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wonder if luffys devil fruit power still working underwater in arlong park was a clue that his fruit is a zoan. arlong specifically calls out that devil fruit users lose their powers underwater at the same time his neck is being stretched out….and it makes sense as a zoan feature because chopper doesnt revert to deer form when wet

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
isnt luffys the only "paramecia" that permanently alters his body into something he cant undo

alvida might be the only exception

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

isnt luffys the only "paramecia" that permanently alters his body into something he cant undo

alvida might be the only exception

Buggy and that Berry guy from Eneis Lobby also have a passive, logia-esque, body altering. Maybe Mr 5, I'm still not clear on if all his body parts are explosive or it's that he can make them explode.

Luffy's usage of his fruit prior to Gear 5 is way more in line with Logia usage than Zoan usage though. It's just that instead of being made of a flowing quasi-element he's made of rubber.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
those guys have to manually activate it though i think, same as mr1 and jozu

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm pretty sure that Buggy doesn't have to manually avoid being cut. It's just the manipulating the separated parts that requires actively doing it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

I'm pretty sure that Buggy doesn't have to manually avoid being cut. It's just the manipulating the separated parts that requires actively doing it.

yeah looks like youre right. im wondering if buggy also has some kind of mythical zoan then

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think it's the same thing as living things where devil fruits just kind of exist and categories have been applied after the fact by people trying to fit fruits into boxes for easy classification. Most of the time it works fine but occasionally you get weird edge cases like Luffy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think it's the same thing as living things where devil fruits just kind of exist and categories have been applied after the fact by people trying to fit fruits into boxes for easy classification. Most of the time it works fine but occasionally you get weird edge cases like Luffy.

yes…..thats how scientific classification works in general and doesnt change anything

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

anime was right posted:

yeah looks like youre right. im wondering if buggy also has some kind of mythical zoan then

T-1000 Terminator Fruit.

Some explodes him and he reforms from all of his microscopic parts

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah there was a similar debate when Bonney showed up in Egghead, whether her emerging as a child from the water meant her DF was "deactivated". But of course that doesn't happen to Luffy or Chopper, also if Brooke's DF stopped working under water wouldn't he just...die? If Buggy was sliced up and you emerged just half of him underwater would the rest of the pieces snap back to him, or just teleport there, or would they just turn into regular chopped pieces and his blood and organs would spill out?

Like necessarily there are going to be some some DFs that don't make sense to just be "shut off" while others could in a variety of ways.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah there was a similar debate when Bonney showed up in Egghead, whether her emerging as a child from the water meant her DF was "deactivated". But of course that doesn't happen to Luffy or Chopper, also if Brooke's DF stopped working under water wouldn't he just...die? If Buggy was sliced up and you emerged just half of him underwater would the rest of the pieces snap back to him, or just teleport there, or would they just turn into regular chopped pieces and his blood and organs would spill out?

Like necessarily there are going to be some some DFs that don't make sense to just be "shut off" while others could in a variety of ways.
Well, does the sea even shut off devil fruit powers?

Hear me out- I know we kind of take it for granted that it does, but I'm pretty all that has been said is that the sea makes devil fruit users physically weak. So weak that no one with an active power would be able to exert the effort to use it, but that wouldn't affect someone with a weird body thanks to a devil fruit.

Have I forgotten somewhere that Oda explicitly said otherwise? I know seastone effectively shuts off powers, and is said to have the same energy as the sea, but does it really shut them off, or just make the user too weak in general to use their powers?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Doesn't Franky force Monster Point Chopper into the ocean on Enis Lobby to de-transform him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GodFish posted:

Doesn't Franky force Monster Point Chopper into the ocean on Enis Lobby to de-transform him?
Yes, but he doesn't turn into a deer, so it's not like it's deactivating his devil fruit. Just shutting of Monster Point is consistent with "takes away all their energy" assuming it takes a lot of energy to stay in that form.